Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help with a split entry
dmmk
April 22, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We are out growing our split entry and want to put on an addition. We have closed in the original garage and now want to add on a 2-3 car garage with bedrooms above it. We have been struggling with how to make it look proportional and have good flow. Any ideas or pictures would be awesome. Thanks
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dmmk
Here is the floor plan
0 Likes   April 22, 2012 at 8:35AM
feliciatl
Try the website for SPLIT VISIONS: A PLANBOOK OF REMODELING IDEAS FOR SPLIT-LEVEL... for ideas. Yours looks like their 'Split entry Long Faced" Maplewood.

http://citysearch.brooklynpark.org/website/comdev/Housing/Split_Visions_Final%207-25-03.pdf
1 Like   August 26, 2012 at 5:47AM
ksmith814
I have the EXACT same dilemma!!! I closed in my garage and created a sunroom and bathroom in the basement. Now I would like to add a garage with addition above. Of course without having an overbearing home!! Did you find a solution???
0 Likes   November 11, 2012 at 7:04PM
dmmk
We have resorted to calling an architect. No results yet. What would normally seem a pretty easy task for most homes has been a huge challenge for this one. My husband told me yesterday we may just have to decide our needs and forget what it looks like. Hmmm... I am not ready to give up yet. Good luck on your search. If you find any good designs out there let me know and I will do the same for you.
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 7:05AM
ksmith814
No luck yet.... considering an architect as well. I just need a concept that will fit my home. I can take it from there. There HAS to be others with our home who have done something similar with it. I was so happy when I saw a pic of your home!! I thought I had finally found someone with the solution! I will keep on looking. I REFUSE to believe there is no sensible solution.
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 12:57PM
dmmk
It looks like we have the same house. Your landscaping is really nice. I have found hundreds of split entry additions but all only add a box on the end of the house. I was hoping to find something different. The best remodeling ideas I've seen are at renovationdesigngroup.com. A couple of their designs go out the back with some interesting layout changes.
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 1:19PM
ksmith814
I took another photo to show what I did with my garage. Front half is a sun room and back half is a bathroom (in progress)
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 5:39PM
jcamerli
Any ideas about putting an addition on to a house like this. We have a house like this where we closed in the garage. We built a detached garage to the left side of the house. I would like to increase the size of the bedrooms, bath, kitchen, dining room/living room areas. Any ideas for different floor plans?
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 5:28PM
ksmith814
It is a challenge. I am putting a garage on the right side with the addition above, allowing to expand the living room and kitchen.
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 4:35PM