powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Has anyone bought the Allerton dining table and chairs by Horchow?
beckykadel
May 29, 2012 in Photo Questions
I am wondering how the quality is of this set. Are the chairs comfortable to sit in?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
azelizabeth
Anyone?
December 9, 2012 at 10:28am   
writerly
I'd love to hear, as well.
December 10, 2012 at 12:47am   
azelizabeth
I am tempted by this set for the price and the look. Then again... it is so hard to tell on line. It says mahogany... so it could have a lot of red in it. We don't use our formal dining room often, but it is the first thing that you see when you walk in the front door.
December 12, 2012 at 2:18pm   
beckykadel
I am worried about the quality and shipping is so expensive. I did find a similar set at Macy's . It is called Larousse by Martha Stewart. The chairs are very comfortable and seems to be good quality. There was another set at Macy's by Ralph Lauren, it was very uncomfortable and poor quality. When ordering online it is so important to read reviews.
December 12, 2012 at 2:32pm     
azelizabeth
Thanks. I could not find any reviews for the allerton table. I did call to see if I could get info but it was a call center. I had the lady read me their info. and it is all rubber wood, I am passing. I will check out Macy's as well. My favorite table is the Ethan Allen Hathaway... I may just get that... although the one in the showroom was so damaged it makes me pause as to how it will hold up.
December 12, 2012 at 2:52pm     
beckykadel
I will check out the Ethan Allen set. I am worried about getting a table that scratches easily. If I am finally going to purchase a set, I want it to last a long time.
December 12, 2012 at 2:55pm     
azelizabeth
How do I check I can't find any online reviews. Wish I could fall in love with a table.
December 12, 2012 at 2:59pm   
beckykadel
It's strange. I tried to find online reviews for the Allerton table and I couldn't find one. Not even on the Horchow or Neiman Marcus websites. That's why I posted it here, but no one has a review. Maybe you can post a request for reviews on Pintrest, but I don't know how to use the site
December 12, 2012 at 3:19pm     
azelizabeth
I thought that was strange. The other thing I didn't care for is you really can't see the finish on the top of the table. I could not find any reviews for the ethan allen Hathaway table either. Seeing how bad of shape the table in the showroom was (trip popped out and needs to be glued down and lots of scratches), the salesperson blamed it on the fact that the table came from the Las Vegas store. Still hunting for a reasonably priced set 5K or under.
December 12, 2012 at 3:37pm     
writerly
I couldnt find reviews for the Allerton table either. Thanks for the other suggestions.
December 13, 2012 at 12:30pm   
Just Me
I just got mine this weekend. It looks exactly as shown and seats are quite comfortable. It's gorgeous!
January 2, 2013 at 1:50pm     
writerly
Hi Just Me. If you dont mind, could you show us a photo of your table and chairs? Id love to see it "in real life". Thanks!
January 2, 2013 at 2:28pm   
Just Me
I'm trying...
January 2, 2013 at 6:04pm     
writerly
Thanks Just Me. It looks beautiful!
January 19, 2013 at 8:36pm   
cmancini
I too have been searching forever for a dining set similar to the hathaway set. Did you end up purchasing the set? If so what do you think of the quality for the price? I did come across the Kinciad Alston table for far less, however was not able to find reviews on the table. I did see an overall grade of B for Kincaid. The chairs and buffet for this set are not exactly was I was looking for. I did also come across the Lexington Home Brands st. topez divonne set. It is up there in price but beautiful as well. It has a chest that is absolutely stunning. the metal finish, however, is in soft champagne.
January 21, 2013 at 9:48am   
1q2w3e4
I just bought the Allerton dinning table and 6 chairs from Horchow. The good is:

It looks beautiful!
The chairs are comfortable
The color the fabric is beige with grey undertones.
The style is classic.
Newman Marcus sells this dinning room set.(factor that influence me to buy this furniture)
I got this set on sale.

The negatives:
They are from china,
The quality is ok but looks expensive. The underneath of furniture is not finished in a professional manner.
My dinning table and 3 chairs have some scratches. I am waiting for another set.
The fabric on chairs is not high quality but it is soft to the touch and it looks nice.

In conclusion the furniture looks beautiful and people think it is expensive. I bough it at 40% discount. The shipping expenses is very high but I ended expending less money for this set than 6 chairs at Macy's.
April 12, 2013 at 3:57pm     
pamelanorton
Does the wood look reddish?
May 7, 2013 at 5:44am   
1q2w3e4
No, it is close to dark walnut color, it is a nice dark wood. Very elegant
May 7, 2013 at 11:09pm     
PRO
Horchow
Thanks to Just Me and 1q2w3e4 for the photos and advice! Also, our Customer Care team would be happy to answer any other concerns or questions you all might have about the "Allerton" Dining Furniture. Here is their number: 1.877.944.9888.
June 6, 2013 at 10:49am   
1q2w3e4
Here is the picture with the new replacements of the Allerton dinning set. Please let me know what you think!
July 1, 2013 at 10:17pm     
PRO
Horchow
@1q2w3e4 - The dining set looks fabulous in your home! We love how you used 2 of the "Allerton" Chairs to create another seating area off the dining room. It is both beautiful and functional.
July 11, 2013 at 1:28pm     
Christina Antaky
I am struggling with this decision as well so this info was extremely helpful! Another quick question - was there any indication on any of the packaging or paperwork as to who the manufacturer is? That would say a lot about the quality and help put my mind at ease. Tried to get the info from Horchow but they are not permitted to disclose it. how they expect you to buy something this significant without knowing the manufacturer is beyond me! Thanks.
August 8, 2013 at 8:34pm   
1q2w3e4
I found this information: Made by: Lacquer Craft MFG. CO., LTD.
N.1 Taisheng Avenue Jiashan county, Jianxing Cityy ZHE JIANG, China 314100
Made in China
Imported by Universal Furniture International, INC
I hope this information will help you .
August 11, 2013 at 2:38pm   
wendyp7
I bought the Allerton set 6 months ago and I love it! It's very striking and I always get lots of compliments.
August 14, 2013 at 12:37pm     
dadandsweetie
I plan to get the set now that ive seen these reviews! Thanks!
September 2, 2013 at 10:32am     
makangirl
I called Horchow to ask how many chairs maximum would fit around the table when both leaves are inserted. The representative read off a site from the manufacturer and said it was only 6. That does not seem right with the length of the chairs and table. Can anyone comment?
September 9, 2013 at 7:53am   
makangirl
Also, for those of you who have bought this set, the chair depth is specified at 28". That seems really, really deep. Is that the actual seat depth, or is that including width of the wood back, etc. (we are not a very tall family : )
Thanks
September 9, 2013 at 8:22am   
dadandsweetie
I wondered the same thing
September 9, 2013 at 8:32am   
1q2w3e4
The actual seat depth is around 19 inches(from the back of the chair to the front) This table would fit 8 chairs when both leaves are inserted.
September 11, 2013 at 8:23pm   
makangirl
Thank you so much for answering. If you don't mind, are the chairs also really 23" wide? I am so confused as to why they specify 28" for the depth when it is only 19"! Goes to show what happens when its made in china. I appreciate your time.
September 12, 2013 at 11:35am   
1q2w3e4
Makangirl, The seat width is 23" wide but if you measure from the back(top part) of the chair is around 20" and depending how you measured the bottom part of the back of the chair (semicircle), can go to 26" from one side to the other side of the chair(wood part).
September 12, 2013 at 3:46pm   
Beth Voellm
Would love to know how you got the set 40% off. :)
Also, the side board seems sold out. What piece would you suggest to use to store china that could go under a window?
Thanks.
September 15, 2013 at 10:58am   
1q2w3e4
It was an anniversary sale. Check Ambella Manhattan Console from Horchow. I don't know if is too tall to go under a window but you can check it out (it is 65" W x 19" D x 40" T) information from a Horchow brochure.
September 18, 2013 at 5:43pm   
maybemaui
Purchased the dining set last year just before Christmas and have been very happy with it. We fit two extra chairs in for Christmas dinner comfortably - so 3 on each side and 2 at the end. The table comes with a leaf (the picture includes the leaf). The top of the table has a beautiful high end finish and the design looks great with or without the leaf.
September 20, 2013 at 10:04pm     
PRO
SUPERIOR INTERIORS
I am considering buying the set for a client. How is the quality of the set? Does it feel sturdy or on the flimsy side? Thanks.
October 24, 2013 at 1:33pm   
maybemaui
I think the quality is excellent for price. The seats are wide and sturdy, the table is well made and the extension leaf works well. Everything comes assembled and I used the white glove service and they took great care with the delivery and got all the boxes out of the house as well.
October 24, 2013 at 9:58pm     
PRO
SUPERIOR INTERIORS
Thanks. It does look beautiful.
October 25, 2013 at 6:36am   
PRO
Horchow
@maybemaui - Your dining room looks fabulous! We are glad to hear you're pleased with the dining collection.
October 25, 2013 at 11:12am   
tblock2
Can anyone comment on the quality of the wood? Is it real wood or a veneer? Thanks.
November 2, 2013 at 9:25pm   
shande3
How would the Allerton chair look mixed with an upholstered chair, like the Owen from Pier 1? Any comments appreciated.
November 5, 2013 at 6:54am   
maybemaui
Someone from Horchow should comment on the wood composition, but it is solid wood with a nice rich grain. Here are some pics.
November 5, 2013 at 8:32am     
brianvollmer
Hi - we really appreciate all the comments on this post as we too are interested in this table but frustrated by the inability to find it in a store to look at it in person. Can the commenters who purchased it (thanks for the pics!) give us your thoughts on this one question? We will be in an apartment in Manhattan and this table will double as our kitchen/everyday table and our dining room table for entertaining. We want something that we won't be afraid to get some abuse - e.g. occasional spills, etc. - but that will still stay looking reasonably nice. It seems to us that there are 2 types of DR tables - (i) ones with a glossy/smooth surface that you worry about a scratch etc., which we think of as more classic 'dining' tables; and (ii) ones with a more wooden/grainy feel to the touch that can still look nice w/ a stain/varnish but which might take a beating a bit better (which we think of as more 'kichen' tables). We are looking for something that is durable like (ii) but still nice-enough looking like (i). Any thoughts on how this table fits that long-winded question? Thanks in advance!
November 24, 2013 at 7:48am   
pamelanorton
This table will scratch easily. Even the delivery/set up people warned me about the scratching. I have it in my dining room and I would only use it if it had a pad on it. So, I don't think it will fit your needs.
November 24, 2013 at 12:08pm     
maybemaui
I agree, this is not an everyday use table. Good for dining room for sunday dinner with either placemats or table cloth.
November 24, 2013 at 6:51pm   
makangirl
I bought the table! It TOTALLY fits 8 chairs, no matter what the Horchow people tell you. Beautiful for the price, but would scratch easily. I would not recommend this as an everyday table unless you use a pad. Thanks for all the help. Comfortable, contemporary, classy.
December 6, 2013 at 5:51pm   
maybemaui
Hurray, just in time for the holidays.
December 6, 2013 at 7:03pm   
anniea85
FYI, I bought this set in the summer with 2 extra chairs. We hadn't used all of the chairs until a party last weekend, and a leg snapped off one chair while somebody was sitting in it!! Needless to say the poor girl tumbled to the floor and i was mortified. Horchow is at least sending a new chair, but the overall quality is sub-par...would not buy again.
January 9, 2014 at 12:32pm   
dadandsweetie
Wow. And i almost got this set.
January 9, 2014 at 1:00pm   
resh_lg
I bought the Allerton set for the holidays last year (2013). It looks beautiful but quality is quite poor. You can tell immediately if you see the underside of the table. As others have said, it does scratch quite easily, but Horchow customer service was phenomenal - they replaced the entire set for me at no charge, because my table scratched so easily within the first few days and the chairs had wobbly legs.

The pros are its cheap price and beautiful classic look (I purchased mine from Horchow when they had a 25% - 35% off sale). We are thinking of spending a few extra $$ to put a custom glass table on it to enjoy eating without worrying about scratches or spill marks (as we have 2 little kids). We also got felt pads for the chair legs from Amazon and that fixed the wobble. Now we can pull them out smoothly and with ease.

Though quality wasn't the greatest, we decided to keep the set. I'm going to attach a photo, but if you wish you can see the picture of our dining room here: http://heymamaonline.blogspot.com/2014/02/looking-for-home-decorating-ideas-here.html

Hope this helps.
February 16, 2014 at 8:06pm     
jkf4
azelizabeth, did you buy the Ethan Allen Hathaway table? I am thinking of buying that table and pairing it with the Allerton chairs and would love any insights or comments on quality, comfort and overall look of both.
March 7, 2014 at 8:38am   
hhk4
I am thinking of purchasing just the Allerton chairs from Horchow to match to an existing dining room table. Could someone tell me if the fabric has a pattern to it? And does the upholstery seem durable? Thanks for the help!!
March 31, 2014 at 3:14pm   
More Discussions
What color for full length storm door
Any thoughts going to pick up a Larson Storm door;...
My house is too dark
We bought a beautiful Victorian in the country we're...
Small bathroom remodel
Going to remove tub and have shower. Can I use different...
glass shelves for our built-in
We are having a custom built-in installed in our dining...
Kitchen Backsplash?
We are currently building our dream home right now,...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.