powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Any suggestions for a window treatment for this window in the kitchen...not the best photo!
Heather Rockwell Interiors
June 19, 2012 in Design Dilemma
There is 10 3/4 inches above this window of wall space and I would like the window treatment to start at that point to elongate the window and create a more dramatic look... however, the moulding from the cabinets on either side of the window protrude out - making it impossible to do any of the window treatment that I would like. Does anyone have any suggestions??? I would like it to still be a modern look and I also have to tie in another window treatment above the sliding glass doors in that same room
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Could you also take a picture in the evening with the lights on so we can see other elements in the room such as cabinetry etc. They look dark brown is this so?
June 19, 2012 at 9:24PM   
PRO
Susan Mills Design
I like using relaxed or mock roman shades for this type of application, I would suggest a rich fabric that has the creams, golds and browns of your countertop, perhaps in a stripe. They can be mounted on a board with a return ( a return is the sides as they return to the wall)
June 19, 2012 at 9:33PM   
pollyannagal
A fabric covered pelmet on the wall above the window could be cut to shape around the moulding on the cabinets and a roman blind of the same fabric fixed behind the pelmet would then make it look like one continuous piece and provide a clean modern look. If you want to elongate the space use a vertical pattern or stripe. A wide stripe with a brown close to the cabinet colour and having the brown at the edges of the blind & pelmet would help disguise the shape of the moulding and keep the lines clean. Alternatively use a plain or a small pattern and add a border of brown fabric to achieve the same effect. If you do this you may even want to use a bit of brown paint on the wall behind the edges of the pelmet so you don't see the wall colour peeping through the gap.
June 20, 2012 at 1:33AM   
cliffordthedog
I like to use woven wood shades - unlined. There are many light patterns and textures to choose from - my favorites have a linen look but are actually a natural fiber. They shelter you from bright sunlight without closing completely blocking your view, give you the allusion of privacy in the evening if our window faces your neighbors home and you feel on display, and all an interesting texture to a room.
June 20, 2012 at 4:54AM   
PRO
Wow both great suggestions! I like the idea about the cut out on the pelmet as well as the textured blind. I was thinking a textured blind below..but, your reason makes it even more valid. I also like the idea of a stripe..however my friend who I am trying to help already purchased the fabric and it is a geometric pattern...perhaps we can just have two stripes of plain brown fabric added vertically over the geometric pattern to create the same illusion to elongate the space....?
June 20, 2012 at 6:20AM   
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
I would put a simple roman shade, not to distract from your beautiful tile, countertops and woodwork. Here is an example of a nice roman shade with a pressed fold to make it more elegant than a relaxed fold.
Schwartz-and-Architecture-contemporary-bathroom-san-francisco
June 20, 2012 at 6:57AM   
PRO
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
Agree with roman shade suggestion, I like a flat roman. Mount the shade higher than your top trim piece. This will allow the shade pile to land just slightly into the top of the window so it doesn't cut off too much of your view. This will also elongate the window. Hope that helps. Charmean Neithart
June 20, 2012 at 7:03AM   
PRO
thanks another great idea...you are all fabulous..I will relay the message.
June 20, 2012 at 7:42AM   
PRO
Dytecture
I agree with a more simple approach for the shades.

June 20, 2012 at 7:58AM     
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Ethan Allen I looked at your profile and you show as the headquarters for Ethan Allen furniture and accessories. Not sure what this post is really about?
June 20, 2012 at 9:39AM   
PRO
I have myself as Ethan Allen- however I have nothing to do with them anymore...I worked for one of their stores for 2 weeks. I am now independent...so I should probably change my title...!!!!
June 21, 2012 at 5:10PM   
PRO
Bellagio Custom Drapery
Another option, not sure you want to do this, but you could cut that molding to allow something to fit behind it. I had a client like this recently and we re-configured the molding to look professionally done, where it becomes flat to the cabinet at the point where the wall meets the cabinet, thus allowing for a regular roman, woven shade or whatever you want. It seems like a lot of trouble, but will look better than cutting out the pelmet. Good luck
July 13, 2012 at 11:31AM   
PRO
Bali
You might try the free app from Bali Blinds so you can compare different products and get a feel of what would work best in your space.
July 31, 2012 at 12:43PM   
PRO
Bellagio Custom Drapery
Hi, I thought of you when I posted this on Pinterest. Use a tension rod in between the cabinets, and if that isn't tall enough make a "ruffle" that extends above the tension rod. The treatment would not have to be gathered at all- you could just shape it to the size and profile you want and just use the tension rod to get it up there. Look at picture attached
July 31, 2012 at 1:40PM     
PRO
ASAP Blinds
Cellular shades with a top down bottom up feature, plantation shutters or wood blinds may work very well in that setting.
August 4, 2012 at 8:27AM   
PRO
CellularWindowShades.com
Definitely cellular shades, get T-Handles for your cranks to make them more low profile. Then you can do a simple valance at the top if you'd like. Get fabric samples on our site for free! http://cellularwindowshades.com/samples.html T-Handles are on our site too!http://cellularwindowshades.com/t_handles.html
September 21, 2012 at 11:21AM   
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
The one consideration when looking at this window is the need for something that can get wet. I would recommend going with PVC Shutters.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/shutters-toronto/pvc-polysatin-shutters.html
January 17, 2013 at 1:02PM   
DeHaven
Would you consider attaching your hardware to your ceiling instead of the wall or cabinets?
January 17, 2013 at 1:11PM     
More Discussions
Just want a place that's relaxing!
Being a junior in highschool is stressful with lots...
Can I fit an island in my small kitchen?
My kitchen dimensions is 11 by 10..5 feet and I have...
Update my foyer please!
Our home was built in 1900 and is a classic American...
What color will you NEVER find in your house?
It's usually pretty easy to tell the colors that people...
New apartment: what to do, what to do!
I have a new apartment and love all my furniture. What...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.