Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need ideas for low cost update of this facade
Bruce Bartlett
June 22, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We could always recover this brick with ledgestone, but I'm trying to figure out a good way to paint the brick and get a very clean sophisticated look. Think Coastal Living or Sunset Magazine.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
ísARK Studio
Hello Bruce,
Painting the brick is certainly the most affordable and can lend itself to a very distinguished look but there are a few other details you could add that are inexpensive but will have dramatically overhaul the look and feel of the exterior.

I would recommend choosing a rich slate blue color like SW 7602 Indigo Batik paired with cladding in cedar over (or in place of) the white board and baton). The pattern I would recommend would be as seen in the picture below. Another Coastal touch to add some vibrancy would be to paint the overhang/soffit/porch ceiling "porch blue". The added benefit to painting the ceiling in this color family is it repels bugs. Wasps, bees and birds perceive it as sky so they won't build nests there. Finish with bright white trim and fascia.

Brick Color: http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7602-indigo-batik/

Article on Porch Blue: http://www.swstir.com/color-smarts/article/the-whys-behind-the-blue-porch-ceiling/

Best Regards,
Finn Sigurdsson
3 Likes   June 22, 2012 at 11:56AM
Bruce Bartlett
Thank you very much for the input, especially about painting the overhangs blue. I'm mulling over the cedar idea, but think I may be going in more of the attached photo's direction. It begs the question: Is it OK to paint the brick and wood trim above it the same color? Thanks again.
1 Like   June 22, 2012 at 12:08PM
Bruce Bartlett
Photos of possible directions to go
0 Likes   June 22, 2012 at 12:10PM
PRO
ísARK Studio
Hi Bruce,
I would recommend having the trim a separate lighter color. In my opinion when choosing a bolder or darker color for the brick it can often look slapped on instead of "punctuated" if you paint the trim the same color. A crisp white or lighter complimentary color would make for a sharp statement and make it look more intentional.

Best Regards,
Finn Sigurdsson
0 Likes   June 22, 2012 at 12:14PM
PRO
Dytecture
Hi Bruce, I think painting the brick a gray color would be a nice contrast with the white siding on top. You can also considering replacing the column and railings.
3 Likes   June 22, 2012 at 3:19PM
Bruce Bartlett
Yes, what you have in your mock up is exactly what we've been thinking. Thanks very much for the photo as I don't have that capability. What program do you use?. Also we're thinking the wood above the brick will be replaced with siding or shingles to give it more of a beach feel.
0 Likes   June 22, 2012 at 3:38PM
PRO
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
Hi Bruce. Going along with Dytecture's suggestion of gray, here is a visual for you...
north portland mid century - exterior
I think painting the brick and the replacement siding the same color would be a nice, inexpensive option. I also like David's (Dytecture) idea of the new column and railing. This gray color would contrast nicely with succulents for a nice drought tolerant landscape. I think succulents or ornamental grass that are bright chartreuse with decomposed granite will look nice with the gray color.
Bonifield Residence
Also a good look for the beach. Hope that helps. Charmean Neithart
4 Likes   June 22, 2012 at 5:14PM
ourfarmhouse
Here are some suggestions for going coastal on a budget. Most of it is just wood add-ons, which are much less expensive than adding stone, and more premium-looking than just painting the brick... It's really all about the details.

1. White feels crisp and fresh. The cobalt blue pushes it toward the island style, mon.

2. Beefier porch columns with a diagonal cross balustrade bring it right to the Coastal Living style. Chippendale railings would also work.

3. Decorative exposed rafter tails add detail.

4. Bahama shutters add unique style, and do the heavy lifting, pushing it to coastal style

5. A decorative band with dentil moulding adds architectural flair and organizes the windows. Below it, you could do either lap siding with an alternating thick, thin pattern or silvered cedar shingles. You could remove the brick and apply it, or (for a thicker feel with more of a top ledge) install it right over the brick.

6. Board and batten siding would wrap around the top part of the whole house, helping it to feel more like a coastal cottage.

7. The existing gable vent is covered with a louvered grill, helping it to feel more styley and less utilitarian. Also added - a decorative, extended beam in the top of the tiny gable. You could also do this on the gable to the right.

8. In the original picture, there seems to be too much hardscaping, and no real soft zone, so I've added some nice tropical plants to the front of the house. The original photos also seemed too linear, so I've added some curves and different textures - a stamped concrete or stone sidewalk-/patio and a pea gravel drive.

The hardscaping is a little more expensive and could possibly wait for later, but I think it helps tremendously. At any rate, I would suggest removing the brick "curbing". They SEEM small, but actually are a substantial player in hindering this house from feeling more welcoming.

Your little cottage has quite a bit of potential. It could sing, if it's done right.
17 Likes   June 24, 2012 at 2:04AM
inkwitch
ourfarmhouse, once again you have nailed it -- and with photos! Stunning! I hope Bruce likes it.
0 Likes   June 24, 2012 at 3:19AM
PRO
Super cute ourfarmhouse, love the blue shutters...instant beach!
0 Likes   June 24, 2012 at 7:16AM
Bruce Bartlett
Ourfarmhouse, great ideas, I really appreciate them. I'll be sure to post pics of the finished project in late July.
0 Likes   June 24, 2012 at 7:35AM
dianestyle
Ourfarmhouse, this is a really super transformation. It will probably make the entire neighborhood jealous as well and increase property values. Looks so fresh and invigorating!!! Well done! (I hope the owners do this)
0 Likes   June 24, 2012 at 7:44AM
Karen May
Genious Ourfarmhouse..!!! The depth of your creativity seems to know no bounds. Any style, any problem.. you have a solution. Looking forward to seeing the finished update by Bruce.
0 Likes   June 24, 2012 at 7:51AM
PRO
Matt Patterson Custom Homes
You can stucco directly over the brick.
0 Likes   June 24, 2012 at 8:18AM
PRO
Paint Creek
Dead On Ourfarmhouse! Couldn't be any better.
0 Likes   June 24, 2012 at 8:25AM
Sara Parker
Love the Bahamas look. Maybe you can just whitewash the brick so you don't have to worry about peeling paint or the expense of siding.
0 Likes   June 24, 2012 at 8:32AM
Bruce Bartlett
Curve ball: Islands in the Los Angeles market doesn't mean Caribbean, it means Hawaiian, which is a more muted look. The light blue wouldn't work as it takes the design a little too far in a particular aesthetic direction that some buyers may not like. The home is for resale and we need to be tasteful and yet appeal to a broad demographic, practical. So we either need to go with a different color blue (something more muted), or possibly a slightly different take on the same concept: Paint the brick a sand color, paint the new siding/shingles above a complimentary sand color, do all the trim and shutters in bright white and the door and minor accents (lighting, mailbox etc) in black. Thoughts?
1 Like   June 24, 2012 at 9:06AM
PRO
Michael Eric Dale
If you really are after "clean and sophisticated" you will want to pick a single neutral color and paint the brick, siding and eaves the same. The house will then have a modern feel. I just helped a friend with a similar house. We painted everything SW Requisite Grey with a light reflectance value of 46. It is a beautiful pearl color. (Front door is slightly darker.) But you can select any neutral greyed color for the same effect, whether dark, medium or light in tone. (Easy hint: look at Sherwin Williams Essentials, Fundamentally Neutral and most of Concepts in Color collections.) Just don't pick something that will make the roof stand out.

You really do not need that railing, since the porch is on the ground...get rid of it, it is not beneficial to the appearance.
1 Like   June 24, 2012 at 9:07AM
PRO
Bruce, I am in the Los Angeles area (Pasadena) and I hear what you're saying. I still think the concept is great proposed by ourfarmhouse, just change the color of the shutters. I think stain grade, a medium brown, would give you that Hawaiian look you speak of. The plants would really define the rest of the look you want.
Stone Residence 1
I like this color shutter for a tropical feel...
Kapalua Bay
Hope that helps. Charmean
2 Likes   June 24, 2012 at 10:01AM
Bruce Bartlett
Michael & Charmean, great comments.
0 Likes   June 24, 2012 at 10:06AM
Bruce Bartlett
Michael, can you post a photo of the home you're referring to?
0 Likes   June 24, 2012 at 10:08AM
marlaa
I would paint the entire house the same color. I think it would make it seem larger. Use maybe an earthy color and use white trim. I would also take out the iron work on the front porch and use wood instead.
0 Likes   June 24, 2012 at 10:18AM
Bruce Bartlett
Any suggestions on inexpensive vendors for the Bahama style shutters? You can assume we'd paint, not stain.
0 Likes   June 24, 2012 at 4:11PM
markdavidson
We have some little shotgun rental houses here in Florida. I made these Bahama shutters for less than $75. I just made a frame out of 1 x material.
1 Like   June 25, 2012 at 7:35PM
PRO
Mint Design
For your area I suggest you paint both the siding and the brick a medium buff color, add some foundation plantings and perhaps some window boxes in a medium dark grey filled with blooming plants and cascading greens. Good luck and please post progress photos! :)
0 Likes   June 25, 2012 at 10:06PM
ourfarmhouse
So here is more transitional Hawaiian-style...

1. Stucco over the bricks and where board and batten are. Paint the body somewhere between a warm white and a tan. (You could get by with just painting the bricks and siding, but I went more purist. I referenced a lot of Hawaiian houses with stucco and stained wood.)

2. Mock pillar forms are added above the brick in all the corners and some midway (like between the windows to the far left). These would be the same depth as the brick to help give the top half of the house more depth and to make it feel like you didn't just stucco over the brick. These are also stucco.

3. New modern lights on each of these pillars are added (again, something I saw on a lot of Hawaiian houses.)

3. Trim gets stained (again, more purist...but could just be painted brown)

4. Bahama shutters get painted gloss black. The contrast in color and sheen help it to feel richer and more transitional.

5. New Hawaiian-style wooden door with black hardware is added.

6. Porch posts go away, and the porch roof is now supported by wooden brackets.

7. A low, one-step deck is added as a landing spot to welcome guests and add square footage to a seemingly small house.

8. House is staged with modern zinc planters and modern deck furniture to further push it to the transitional style (modern meets traditional).

...This approach would be more expensive than the first two versions, but you could mix and match some elements from each to keep the price down.

The style could feel right at home in Hawaii, but it could also feel Spanish, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. There are some overlaps in style (stucco, exposed structural elements, stained wood.)

Anyhoo, here it is...
9 Likes   June 27, 2012 at 1:52AM
PRO
Ourfarmhouse, you're the mock up king! Nice one...again.
0 Likes   June 27, 2012 at 5:36AM
PRO
Dytecture
I don't live anywhere near warm weather or the ocean so it's great to see the various 'tropical`styles from ourfarmhouse.
0 Likes   June 27, 2012 at 7:38AM
betsyweisberg
Love reading all the suggestions. I live in the Los Angeles area and think
Ourfarmhouse suggestion rocks. If you want to change the color of the shutters go sage green.
Great ideas from everyone. Please post pix when it's finished!
0 Likes   June 27, 2012 at 7:46AM
Craig CraigMDesigns
I think the single rich neutral in the gray / taupe family, a strong front door in a chartreuse, and mostly tall grasses planted with some large spikey succulents and the dark burgandy ones for weight.
0 Likes   June 27, 2012 at 8:06AM
tanian
ourfarmhouse, you are awesome!I love all of your suggestions. I think it is fabulous that you are so willing to give people on here so many suggestions and take the time to do mock-ups.
1 Like   June 27, 2012 at 9:04AM
Damien F
ourfarmhouse can u help me w/ my exterior??? how do i contact you? rates? los angeles area at the border of so. pas/alhambra/l.a. off of huntington/kendall
0 Likes   June 29, 2012 at 8:19PM
Bruce Bartlett
Mark Davidson, could I get closer photos and or some tips on building those Bahama shutters?
0 Likes   July 12, 2012 at 6:40AM
PRO
Averbuch Realty Company
wow, love the drawings ourfarmhouse! You are so creative! Love the beach look that you did to Bruce's home, so inviting.
0 Likes   July 12, 2012 at 6:47AM
markdavidson
Yes Bruce, I'll look for some close ups this weekend. Ideally, you would just be able to find shutters that fit. Once you get over 15" in width, shutters get more custom and expensive. We ordered our real wood shutters from ebay for around $50 per pair and extended them to fit using 1 x 3s on the ends and one down the middle. We braced the back with 1 x 2s going horizontal and bought hinges off ebay as well. We primed and painted with a sprayer to get a nice finish.
0 Likes   July 12, 2012 at 10:37AM
Bruce Bartlett
I was actually thinking about going a similar route. Were the shutters you built around wood, or vinyl?
0 Likes   July 12, 2012 at 10:41AM
markdavidson
Wood, ours were under the front porch and should last a long time without being pressure treated. We primed and painted with exterior products.
0 Likes   July 12, 2012 at 10:47AM
markdavidson
Hopefully you can see in this image how we did it. We surrounded the shutters (not built on top of) with 1" material cut to fit.
1 Like   July 12, 2012 at 10:53AM
Bruce Bartlett
Yes I think it's great looking. Who did you buy them from? Were the shutters you built around "off the rack" or custom? How long did they take to get? Thanks very much!
0 Likes   July 12, 2012 at 10:57AM
markdavidson
I got them from hiostl on ebay. Here's a link to the 15" x 39"s I got: http://www.ebay.com/itm/15-x-39-Wood-Louvered-Shutter-Fixed-/250825731640?pt=US_Shutters&hash=item3a6660ee38

They're off the shelf for $50 with free shipping. It just took a few days to arrive.

Our windows were about 36" so we needed to add six inches in width and a little to the height as well.

I think there are some 18" wide shutters out there in real wood, but they were quite a bit more when I was looking.
0 Likes   July 12, 2012 at 3:29PM
markdavidson
The shutter hinges were from another seller on ebay and were $6.99 for the pair with free shipping. We used galvanized screws to assemble everything and drilled a small pilot hole first to keep the wood from splitting.

So, to be exact, they'll cost you $56.99 per window not counting the 1" stock around the edges along with paint and your time.
0 Likes   July 12, 2012 at 3:36PM
Bruce Bartlett
Brilliant! I ordered them today.
0 Likes   July 12, 2012 at 3:59PM
Ann Marin
OMG can someone here help me too? My house exterior is positively hideous, I'm not kidding.
0 Likes   July 12, 2012 at 4:03PM
PRO
Hi Bruce. Wanted to make sure you saw this recent ideabook...

0 Likes   July 17, 2012 at 8:10PM
Bruce Bartlett
Charmean, thank you very much. Since we don't get hurricane weather here (just earthquakes) it wasn't cost effective at over $200 per shutter or timely (4 weeks for delivery) to go this route. However with some advice from Mark Davidson we believe we've found a low cost way to build our own strictly cosmetic all wood Bahama Shutter for about $40 each. I'll post photos soon.
1 Like   July 17, 2012 at 10:13PM
Bruce Bartlett
Well the project is 99% done and we already have 2 offers within 48 hours of the first open house. One month renovation, total cost including all labor 40k. I want to thank everyone for there suggestions. Here is a link to the before and after photos. http://sequoiainvestmentpartners.com/Research/Article/1653
1 Like   August 7, 2012 at 11:15AM
michigammemom
Love the new porch railing and plantings. This is a real testament to the power of painted brick!
0 Likes   August 7, 2012 at 11:29AM
PRO
That is quite a success story Bruce. Thank you for sharing the before and after shots. I love to see everyone's input in real time. Good luck and on to the next one.
Charmean Neithart
0 Likes   August 7, 2012 at 11:34AM
PRO
Dytecture
Excellent news Bruce. Thanks for the update.
0 Likes   August 7, 2012 at 11:55AM
PRO
Paint Creek
Love knowing the result. Can't wait to see your next project.
0 Likes   August 7, 2012 at 4:35PM
Bruce Bartlett
This is what we do in both apartments and single family, fast, efficient stylish turnarounds that offer a good value to the new buyer and a good return to our investors.
www.srepllc.com
0 Likes   August 7, 2012 at 4:50PM
Bruce Bartlett
Hi, we have a new project and I'm giving away a $100 gift card, to the store of your choice, if anyone can come up with some great colors for the exterior of a home in Laurel Canyon. Sorry these pictures aren't that great. The canyon and surrounding trees don't allow this home to get much sunlight so we really want to lighten it up. The front steps are a light tan travertine and the $100,000 pool in the back has stone that is the same color and changing that is not cost effective. The wood on the garage doors will be replaced and can be stained or painted. All ideas are welcome.
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 10:37PM
PRO
Paint Creek
Looks so interesting. Can you provide a couple more views?
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 6:51AM
Bruce Bartlett
I'll post more today or tomorrow under the separate discussion for that house
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 8:30AM
Bruce Bartlett
more LC pictures
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 3:18PM
AMN
Amazing job! All the photos in the link show how much work went into the reno.
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 3:33PM