Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Color doubt
Rama
June 25, 2012 in Photo Questions
Please tell me whether this particular color combination is alright or not?
When I colored the orange on the ceiling i really liked it very much, then the textured wall below was done , now it does feel a little odd , should I change back the orange ceiling into off white?
Or is it looking ok as it is ?
I plan to put a antique mirror above the bed in the center of the wall, and change the lamp shades and also do away with the orange bed spread. Any suggestions. There are 2 more pictures of the same room.
All opinions are welcome.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Emily Hurley
If someone had asked me if I would like this combination, I probably would have answered no, but seeing it in your photo, I really do! I like the ceiling in particular. It's very different and I love the way it plays off the beams.

I think I'd be tempted to see how it looks with a light colored rug on the floor.
3 Likes   June 25, 2012 at 9:53AM
arenad
Its beautiful. And quite honestly - what matters most is whether or not YOU like it.
2 Likes   June 25, 2012 at 10:07AM
PRO
Barden Stone
I really like the orange ceiling...i think most people dont' even consider the ceiling when paiting, so good for you! Unfortuantley, I'm not a big fan of the textured mustard wall. I would of gone with that magenta color that is in the drapes and pillows on the bed. Or if that is to much color....the lightest yellow/cream stripe that is in the bedspread.

Hope this helps.
2 Likes   June 25, 2012 at 10:31AM
mikkime
I think its fun! If the wall behind the bed were the same as the ceiling that would be too much for me but the way it is I like it.
3 Likes   June 25, 2012 at 10:32AM
rinadesigns
I love it! Not so sure about the floral curtain, though. it seems kind of old-fashioned in such a sharp modern space.
2 Likes   June 25, 2012 at 11:04AM
PRO
JB Interiors, Inc.
This is a great combination, I agree that following up with something to repeat the theme on the floor would add to the ambiance of the room itself.
2 Likes   June 25, 2012 at 11:12AM
ruthmand
Wait till you put that mirror up, that will break up the textured wall and make it look more like a background or framing for what sounds like a very pretty mirror. I just had the same thoughts about the new color in my powder room and once the mirror was put up it looked great. A light colored rug (black & white maybe) would set it all off. Have fun!
1 Like   June 25, 2012 at 11:35AM
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
I like the dramatic colour on the ceiling, but I would keep the wall behind the bed white, to separate the ceiling from the colour of the floor and the textiles.
0 Likes   June 25, 2012 at 1:31PM
PRO
Rama
Thank you very much for your responses. I just love the Tuscan orange that i have on the ceiling, it goes so well with the dark green Bamboo rafters, and also the yellowish wall, which the painter took so much trouble to get that finish, but when seen together this combination does not jell, I am unable to understand. It breaks my heart to change the ceiling into off white, and that is the only change I can do as I cannot change the yellowish textured wall. Though our room is very large with plenty of light, and the ceiling too is very high, now with this combination, it gives a kind of boxed in feeling, or maybe I have to get used to 2 bright colors vying for attention. I somehow don't want to try another disaster. Both the colors have been picked up from the drapes.
Suppose I stay with these colors, what would bring drama into this room, any suggestions?
I already have a full wall length mirror framed by the same green bamboo rafters, opposite the bed, above the bed i thought I should place another mirror, a kind of antique mirror, and some good paintings on both sides of the mirror, plus change the bedspread and the lamp shades, would that do the trick?
Suggestions for bedspread, and lampshades?
BTW, the wall below the ceiling has the same Tuscan orange, made a little lighter and shaded with a bright yellow to get this textured, mustard color.
Please, help me soon before I do anything to this room.
0 Likes   June 25, 2012 at 2:43PM
lesliemahler
I think the room is charming. Unfortunately, I agree with those who prefer the textured wall be painted in a neutral. Not sure why this can't be done but it surely is an easier fix than repainting the ceiling (which looks fabulous). Also, a light colored rug is needed to ground the room. Good luck!
0 Likes   June 25, 2012 at 2:53PM
lesliemahler
I think the room is charming. Unfortunately, I agree with those who prefer the textured wall be painted in a neutral. Not sure why this can't be done but it surely is an easier fix than repainting the ceiling (which looks fabulous). Also, a light colored rug is needed to ground the room. Good luck!
1 Like   June 25, 2012 at 2:53PM
PRO
Rama
That is because I like the the wall finish too, and also I paid so much to the painter to get that finish, and this the third time i have changed the wall color in the last few days.
So although it would break my heart to change the ceiling into off white, I felt that was only the option left, if i want to break the monotony of these 2 bright colors, but should I take the plunge or should I wait for some time till i get used to both these color combination , and not take any drastic action?
Do you think I could somehow keep the colors and play around it. And what color rug should go in for ?
I think the bedspread is the real culprit, there is too much orange in the room, maybe some off white in the form of bedspread and rug would be advisable?
0 Likes   June 25, 2012 at 3:07PM
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
I appreciate you spent a lot of money on the wall finish BUT I think the general agreement is that the appearance of the room would be better if it were painted over in the same paint as on the other walls. Once you have added your mirror, etc. you'll see how everything looks better that way. You can change other elements but you're still going to be up against the dominance of that wall which fights with the ceiling which would be so nice featured on its own. That's my opinion!
2 Likes   June 26, 2012 at 11:25AM
belindasams
I love your colors! I think painting the walls a neutral or white would be too stark against the ceiling. I think you should just play with what you have. I know it's popular right now to not use bedskirts, but a bedskirt would add some wieght to the bed to balance with the heavy ceilings and a rug would also help balance the room. I think when you get your mirror, lamps, and other accesories in the room, it will look great. I have mixed feelings about the floral drapes. I love the fabric and think they add some softness to the room, but if you're going to use them, you need to add some floral on the bed, a cushion for the chair, in a picture on the wall, and/or somewhere else in the room. I think the bedspread needs more of the dark orange in it, or use something completely different like a solid crisp white with an explosion of bright floral and striped bed pillows on it! Either fabric you used in the drapes or white would make a pretty bedskirt. Also, if your budget allows, a heavier, taller bed would look better, but with your antique mirror, this one may work fine. Just my opinions, for whatever they're worth!
1 Like   June 26, 2012 at 12:07PM
PRO
Rama
The room with a different bedspread. I am sorry, all my present bedspreads are a little old and jaded not meant for the new colors yet, i have been trying certain colors and seeing how it changes the look of the room.
Belindasams, I understand what your point too, a bedspread matching the drapes, that too can be tried, and Cynthia, there is still time to make the changes, as the painters would still be around painting the exteriors, for at least another 2 weeks.
I have put one picture of how our bedroom looked before the change in colors. It looked so pretty. I wish to bring the same beauty into the room, with the changed colors and drapes of the present.
0 Likes   June 26, 2012 at 3:20PM
PRO
Rama
The room with a different bedspread. I am sorry, all my present bedspreads are a little old and jaded not meant for the new colors yet, i have been trying certain colors and seeing how it changes the look of the room.
Belindasams, I understand what your point too, a bedspread matching the drapes, that too can be tried, and Cynthia, there is still time to make the changes, as the painters would still be around painting the exteriors, for at least another 2 weeks.
I have put one picture of how our bedroom looked before the change in colors. It looked so pretty. I wish to bring the same beauty into the room, with the changed colors and drapes of the present.
0 Likes   June 26, 2012 at 3:21PM
PRO
Rama
Here are few more old bedroom pictures, somehow i want to create the same magic.
0 Likes   June 26, 2012 at 3:33PM
PRO
Rama
How about sticking some Spanish style tiles for example in triangle shape where the ceiling and the wall meets, like they use in old traditional Spanish houses?
Any ideas???
0 Likes   June 26, 2012 at 4:22PM
PRO
Wow Great Place
I think you are bold and brave and have chutzpah.
I would keep the same colour combination and celebrate it in all it's glory.
One thing I would suggest is to add a dark wood trim piece, same as the rest of the dark trim elsewhere, to separate the wall colour from the ceiling colour, even if it is just on the one wall where the two strong colours meet. Just hold up a black pen to your computer screen, you'll see how adding that dark line gives a "break" to the space, and gives each colour a stronger presence as individual colours.
If you want further inspiration, check out this web site. This is a fabulous decorator in Toronto that is known for her bold use of colour:
http://www.hollydymentdesign.com/portfolio_web.html

I also agree with people telling you to wait and dress the room, as adding mirror/rug/accessories will give the eye something else to take in besides the two strong colours.
1 Like   June 26, 2012 at 4:56PM
PRO
Theresa's Interiors
The bed seems out of proportion, go to local Lowe's get a white fence panel and screw in a new headboard and footboard ck width of bed! and preferably the height of the side window. The sconces need to be heavier and longer, they are too small for the ceiling height. Varigated rug will bring in the varied orange shades, would be customized if you trimmed the edges with the fabric from the draperies, 3" rag stripes knotted at edges yourself or take to carpet company and see if they can seam a 6" band of your striped fabric, with stiffening, not the fab by itself. The sconces would be fun with shades in the striped fabric too. The chair use the floral fabric for cushions rounded to soften edges. Art work with the colors but needs to have the darker tone of trim somewhere in the composition, the one that is shown (if downloaded)could be taken to a print shop and colors can be changed to match the fabric, or use that as a base and funky it up with a white frame or if on a white wall use the orange or pink with a wide bold frame.
1 Like   June 26, 2012 at 6:26PM
PRO
Theresa's Interiors
JC penney's has a variegated orange rug, it did not download.
1 Like   June 26, 2012 at 6:28PM
PRO
Rama
Thank you. You made my day by giving me the link, it was good to see a person having the wildest color combination like me. I just loved it her ideas and style.
I am also thinking of some way to break the monotony of these two colors, without going to the extreme of repainting anything. Like making a long over due cover for the rocking chair, find the right painting to put up on the bare wall, and come up wit some light shades of bedspread/ cushion covers, and a rug. I don't know whether I need to put up a mirror because as you would have seen in one picture, I already have a huge mirror opposite the bed.
It is good to know so many people coming to my help.
0 Likes   June 26, 2012 at 6:37PM
PRO
karen paul interiors
This is a very easy room to finish. First thing you need to do is to understand why you decided to do what you did. Exactly! You are beating your way out of the proverbial box. All the people all the time make the mistake of stopping short of fabulous. They see what they've done, begin to question, and stop short of the prize. I would love to see the rest of the room, but I'll bet you the window wall can be in that hot pink from the draperies. Eeeeeha! I don't see the floral piece at the windows working, so you might want to reconsider sometime down the road. Here's the deal. This is about color palatte and more importantly, color distribution. Take a deep breath, look at what you have and continue to be brave. For crying out loud, it's only paint! So tell us what your next step is. You don't need input on whether it's right or wrong....you've only just begun! :)
2 Likes   June 26, 2012 at 6:54PM
PRO
Rama
Thank you . As you say it is only paint, even my husband says the same thing, and my daughter too echos the same feeling. However this being our house, it is natural to have second thoughts on each every decision made, and trashing out with the people here, in this site is I felt the natural thing to do, as i can see so many elements coming out of this discussion, and I am learning so much.
0 Likes   June 26, 2012 at 8:40PM
PRO
karen paul interiors
Rama, I am glad you are benefitting from the input. That is so great. I just don't want you to lose yourself in the process of trying to figure out right and wrong. Everyone will have a different opinion, and most especially with a room where the question is, "Where am I?". Why not take a different approach here. Pretend you are an artist and you are in the process of giving birth to a new piece of art (and you are). Do you have any idea how many times an artist will rub out, change, destroy, start over, ad nauseum? So why not paint the rest of the walls? Experiment? When you get through that part, then you can begin looking at what is in the room and what you want to add, change or eliminate all together. Just pretend this is your "fun" room. Close the door. Dream and think on it. When you are ready to tackle the next phase, go back in there and give um hell! :)
1 Like   June 26, 2012 at 9:13PM
PRO
Theresa's Interiors
In life most transition results are best mentally and physically if done in small incremental steps well planned out. Some personalities are able to cope with " big change" without any hesitation or plan, KNOW THYSELF. If you are a HIGH risk taker, "love leaping", shoot from the hip, are comfortable not having a plan or knowing the end result, most likely you would not be hesitating and questioning or asking for confirmation, something in your soul is not comfortable with what you have done thus far or maybe have realized you simply prefer to get feedback to make the next planned step, what is the goal? Go back into this room and have a session with yourself, listen to your bodys reaction....this is a room of rejuvenation, restoration, rest and replenishing, you have gone from quite cool green to bright vivid oranges, there is something to respect about that. This big of a change could be very jolting to you at first, the room colors should give you a lift and a good feeling. Possibly toning down the field of orange behind the bed, ie: white vinyl fencing or painting another color panel behind the bed, which would also reflect on the mirror opposite, and making an easy breezy fresh feel, using a white sheer dustruffle and a white bedspread with orange satin ribbon at the base, or shorten a white dustruffle and use the striped fabric underlay, would still allow for easy changes when you change or add to this color combination, but give you a baby step forward, until you are mentally ready for the many complementary vivid combinations. These brights will work on your energy level and depending on what your body needs will fulfill that or not. Take into consideration your purpose and be intentional, maybe you will love this direction and take it further in other spaces that have more activity levels, and bring an energetic, happy, lively common thread throughout your home, you can achieve that with alot of color saturation or in color spots. Listen to the response of your body, maybe you need a little color or change of direction, at a time..... building up layers slowly to take it all in as you are ready.
3 Likes   June 27, 2012 at 8:10AM
PRO
karen paul interiors
Theresa, you are so right on. Great comment and so very thoughtful! :)
1 Like   June 27, 2012 at 9:33AM
PRO
karen paul interiors
Also, along with Theresa's thesis, I have found often times as a woman approaches her 40's (don't know your age), change creates more change. In our lifetime it is not uncommon to change decorating preferences at least three times, having to do with age and life events. I had a client who sighed constantly and brought me green brocade, a picture of a sofa she purchased and her very disgruntled husband. Ultimately, she ended up with oranges, pinks, yellows, purples, and stopped sighing and even began wearing clothes that matched the attitude of her new interior. She was in her 40's and was willing to live with her mistake. Sometimes it takes a lot of digging by a designer and self-reflection by the client to move it forward in a meaningful manner to reach a successful result. So Theresa is giving great advice here.
0 Likes   June 27, 2012 at 9:38AM
PRO
Rama
Yes, I know.Thank you Theresa, and Karen.
0 Likes   June 27, 2012 at 9:43AM
PRO
Theresa's Interiors
Ok, i AM GOING TO LAUGH AT MYSELF, I am just so excited about this site and am learning too, how to use this site. I do not suppose there is a local Lowes in India, or Penny's, your English communication skills are very good, I did not even think to see where you were from. I have many clients from India in my hometown, that do like an easy breezy light and airy look in the bedroom. So....forgive my not taking your location into consideration while giving advice, lesson learned. I was hoping to simplify execution for you if you liked the concept. Thank you, Karen Paul Interiors for your confirmation. Please post pictures of what you ultimately decide to do.
0 Likes   June 27, 2012 at 11:08AM
PRO
Rama
I will surely, and you can see many pictures of my home both exterior and interiors in this site itself, by just clicking on my name. I love this site, the support it offers, and the ideas it unleashes, through its members.
How did you all of sudden realize I was from India?
As for the English, you must know we have ruled by the British for many years, so it is a language in which we are all very good. We do have many good shopping outlets, but to get specific items we would have to really look around, and rack our brains.
Painting and painters are really expensive, and that is why i can't just change colors, styles in a jiffy, if a mistake has been done i would have to just look around sorting out without getting into more mess.
I think i have more or less come to the conclusion of painting the wall in to the creamy white color of the other walls and keep the ceiling color as it is, for finally it is what I can live with that is more important, than cribbing about the money and paint.
Of course I would have to be prepared to get a ear full from my husband.
Thank you Theresa. I really envy your profession.
0 Likes   June 27, 2012 at 6:20PM
pcmom1
You have a lot of responses. Too many for me to read! So, here are my two cents worth. You have a closed in feeling because of too much contrast from that white window wall! Contrast makes rooms feel smaller, not color!

Can't say I am a fan of the faux paint behind your bed. But if you keep as is, I would definitely paint the window wall the same as the ceiling. KEEP CEILING THE SAME!

Another paint option is for window wall to be painted the very dark color of the beams. Dark colors recede, you won't feel closed in!

Also change out your curtains as suggested in some postings above.
0 Likes   June 30, 2012 at 5:23PM
PRO
Rama
Thank you. I have more or less decided to paint the textured wall to off white. That way the already large room would not give the illusion of being small. Also I noticed the faux painting has been done in a horizontal way, which kind of makes the room look rather boxed in.
As I love the curtains(they are new, and so can't be changed). and I also love the ceiling color, I think it would be easier to just change the wall color to off white.
I understand that we all make mistakes, and learning from the mistakes does make us wiser.
And I am glad that all the commentators had something significant to say, and made me look at the the room and the colors from a different perspective.
Thanks everybody.
1 Like   July 1, 2012 at 5:54AM
pcmom1
Took me three tries once to get an accent wall right. I wanted a blue and I started out way too light (baby blue). Finally worked my way up to bold enough!
1 Like   July 1, 2012 at 10:28AM
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
I'm glad we were able to help you move forward, Rama. Painting out the textured wall to white is going to make all your other choices look even better. You've learned a very valuable design lesson--too many accents can be distracting. Knowing where to accent and where to have quiet and calm is the secret to a great result. Your room will be spectacular!
0 Likes   July 1, 2012 at 10:47AM
PRO
Rama
Thank you Cynthia and pcmom1. It was great knowing you all through this site.
Once everything is completed I would post pictures of my newly painted house, both the interiors as well as the exterior.
Have a great day all of you!!!
0 Likes   July 1, 2012 at 10:58AM
artsyphartsy_home_maker
I love the colors you used in the room, & think your ceiling is great as is! It just looks a little busy only because of the flowered curtians, I would remove the flowered curtians {leave the striped ones up}, and then add some neutral curtians in a tan color along side the striped ones. The room needs a little bit of neutral color to balance out all that color going on. The striped bedspread looks the best with this room. I'm not crazy about the flower bedspread & bedskirt in the other photos only because I think flowered fabric make this room too busy. The room has a kind of South Western, Mexican appeal, love it!
0 Likes   July 10, 2012 at 7:00PM
betsyweisberg

Go ethnic with those bold color choices........
1 Like   Thanked by Rama    July 10, 2012 at 7:04PM
PRO
Rama
Casa de Cocinas is the house that really inspired me to be bold with the colors, and i love bold colors. However, after seeing the colors of the ceiling and the wall below, I felt it was all crowding , and bringing down the room to much, even though it is a big room with plenty of light and ventilation and a very high ceiling. So with a heavy heart I decided to get the wall underneath the ceiling, which is textured painted to off white in tune with the other walls. The ceiling which is absolutely beautiful remains undisturbed, Today, the painters are going to repaint the textured wall to off white, and i am sure it would look great, because , I have learnt a hard lesson, not to be tempted by too many colors in one room. Yes even I like the Mexican look, but everything must blend, and not look jarring. Thanks again for all your ideas.
0 Likes   July 10, 2012 at 7:26PM
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Oh dear, no "heavy heart" please Rama! I think once this is done, your heart will be uplifted! You have a lot of people around the world who are supporting you in this decision :)
1 Like   Thanked by Rama    July 10, 2012 at 8:08PM
vernarie
Hi, it looks great but if you are still unsure and want to see other color possibilites, you might want to try downloading sketchbookx app and paint your walls there first see if it looks good virtually before painting it again. :)
1 Like   Thanked by Rama    July 13, 2012 at 10:42AM
Catalina Nurse
your instincts for bold are amazing....a few more choice accessories and this is unstoppable!!! as we say in Trinidad West Indies- Go Brave!!!
1 Like   November 15, 2012 at 7:10PM
PRO
Rama
Thanks, I have kept the ceiling color because I simply that color, however the wall had to go with a heavy heart, because as we lit up the place in the evenings/ nigt it gave a very reddish effect /glare to the whole room, which was kind of uncomfortable.
Many people have given brighter and more glaring oranges not only on the ceiling but also on the walls, but, I really keep wondering how they can live in such rooms during the evening and the night
0 Likes   November 15, 2012 at 8:20PM
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Rama, I'm hoping this means you are pleased with the changes you've made. Would you mind giving us an updated picture?
1 Like   November 19, 2012 at 9:15AM
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Hi again, Rama! Any chance of a picture of your updated room?
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 8:33AM
PRO
Rama
I will try to post a picture soon. Thanks for your continued interest, and support Cynthia.
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 9:35AM
janiehburton
The beautiful arched window appears to be one of the important features of the room. I would use neutral colored drapes for the windows. The ceilings are so tall that I think your current bed frame looks too small and fragile. I would definitely invest in a sturdier bed with a high headboard. I think the wall color is fine, if you like the color and shade of paint - color is very personal. Add some beautiful art and enjoy!
0 Likes   March 18, 2014 at 8:09AM