Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Before and After Garage Renovation
dalma darling
July 13, 2012 in Before & After
In response to Emily's question today: http://www.houzz.com/discussions/152870/_msg=Q2hhbmdlcyBzdG9yZWQgc3VjY2Vzc2Z1bGx5Lg/Who-s-got-a--Before-and-After--to-share-

Mr Darling and I remodeled our garage and turned it into a bar / office. It was a labor of love, but totally worth every ounce of sweat equity and dollar spent. The extra square footage we gained for entertaining and working space has been more valuable than we ever could have imagined.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
dalma darling
One more pic I had to include is the transformed exterior. We have carriage doors as the entrance to the bar...I'll snap a pic and add that one in too to get the full effect of the exterior transformation.
July 13, 2012 at 3:35PM     
roxanneroxanne
Awesome transformation! I'd love to know more because I'm eyeing a house with a garage I'd like to convert into a guest house (we're in SoCal and don't need to park indoors)
December 25, 2012 at 10:57PM     
PRO
Reico Kitchen & Bath
That really is awesome. Love how you reinvented that space! Cheers!
December 26, 2012 at 11:08AM     
PRO
Stoneshop
This is great! Excellent job thinking outside of the box and accommodating a "his" and "hers" space. Enjoy this new extension of your home!
December 26, 2012 at 1:21PM     
PRO
Christopher James Interiors
Love it...great space for the 2 of u
December 26, 2012 at 3:59PM     
dalma darling
Thanks for the kind words, houzzers! We are so thrilled with the outcome and can't imagine not having that extra square footage now.

Roxaneroxane- I'd be happy to answer any questions you have. We did all the work ourselves so I'm well versed in the project planning and reality. We are in Northern California and found that we didn't need our garage for that purpose either.
December 26, 2012 at 6:09PM     
nnouza
This is awesome! Great job!
December 27, 2012 at 7:34AM     
PRO
Dytecture
Love the brightness and clean design, now that's my kind of office !
December 27, 2012 at 8:33AM     
dalma darling
One more shot to add in. It's a bit dark (taken on my phone) but I wanted to include a shot of the carriage doors we did on the front for the bar entrance. The doors open out and the width is enough for a single car should a future owner want to use it for a garage they still could.
December 27, 2012 at 10:15AM     
PRO
Studio S Squared Architecture, Inc.
Very cool, love the true carriage doors. What did you do for heating/cooling?
December 28, 2012 at 1:10AM   
dalma darling
Yes, the true carriage doors were a must for me - I love the way they look when they are opened up!

For heating and cooling we did a baseboard electric heater and fans in each space after fulling insulating the structure. We live in the Bay Area so our average temps are pretty mild.
December 28, 2012 at 7:46AM   
PRO
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
This is so personable and a tremendous transformation - thanks for your story. You both look very happy and it sounds like a smart investment all round. Looking at before photos all I can say is,
whew! A labor of love obviously!
January 4, 2013 at 11:23AM   
roxanneroxanne
The carriage doors really make it shine. If you're willing to share your source, we'd be ever grateful! Did you include a bathroom or any running water? That's the daunting part to me!
January 10, 2013 at 11:07PM   
zonso
Awesome transformation! You totally changed the environment. What did you do with all the stuff accumulated in the garage?
January 11, 2013 at 11:29AM   
dalma darling
Roxanneroxanne -I'm more than happy to share our carriage door resource! Evergreen Carriage Doors in Oregon built them for us - here's their Houzz Profile: http://www.houzz.com/pro/evergreencarriagedoo/evergreen-carriage-doors

They were so easy to work with. We gave them the measurements of the opening once we built it - they custom built the doors in the style that we wanted. They arrived as natural doors (no paint, hardware, etc.) and we took it from there. I would recommend having professionals help hang the doors. We did and are so glad we didn't take that one on ourselves. The cost was minimal for that and well worth it - those guys know just what they're doing.

Zonso - ha! great question :) We did some serious purging of junk. We dedicated 4' of storage behind each of our spaces with built in shelving to keep our "garage" stuff. It's all in labeled bins now and is easy to keep track of. I'll snap a pic of that for you as well - that was a project all in itself!

I took a few updated shots that are a bit higher quality of the exterior for this thread. Thanks to all for the love on the project! It was a labor of love and we're so pleased that it can inspire others! Yay for Houzz!!
(you'll notice we also did a huge landscape renovation - yes, we've been busy!)
January 12, 2013 at 9:13AM     
Christelle
This is a project of ours too we are purging our stuff from the garage to transform it a a comfy extra room for huby the carriage door is wonderful and we are definitly doing this too. Good job !
January 12, 2013 at 10:21AM     
roxanneroxanne
Thanks a ton!
January 12, 2013 at 12:37PM   
roxanneroxanne
Everyone on this thread needs to read this post from the guy who made the carriage doors -- http://www.evergreencarriagedoors.com/articles/carriage-doors-when-money-is-tight.htm
January 12, 2013 at 12:53PM     
dalma darling
Great story, thanks for finding and sharing that roxanneroxanne!
January 12, 2013 at 2:47PM