Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Color Suggestion
ranand
July 30, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I want to change the foyer color, looking in tan/beige family....I want to color the picture frames a shade or two darker....Please suggest! Also, want to change the living room next to the foyer...we have brown/tan sofas for that room..
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Doug Durando
Hey ranand,

Are you still deciding on a color? Love to see what you choose to go with!
November 9, 2012 at 6:02pm   
dcer
I would pick out a bunch of paint samples and put them up on the wall. Paint colors look different in every space, so experiment! I like the idea of painting the insets a darker color... Depending on if you are going to hang anything in them, you could even wallpaper them!
November 9, 2012 at 7:14pm     
smldesigns
You seem to have a pretty traditional space - almost historic. For colors look at Benjamin Moore's historic colors. A beautiful deep beige color is Shaker Beige. Did you add the picture frames or the stairs? The stairs are gorgeous as is the fireplace and entrance to the adjacent room, but I guess I would have expected the spindles and risers on the stairs to be white to match the rest of the room in the house.
November 9, 2012 at 7:29pm     
roopdl
Why are there box mouldings only on two walls and none on the upstairs gallery to continue the design?
An idea to change the space would be to increase the size of the boxes to a longer and wide & narrow mix look, take out the chair rail and start the boxes to a foot or so above a taller baseboard. Gives a more French panel look. Great frame around living room entrance.
For a colour, try a toupie soft colour with a warm base and do the living space in a tone deeper (or lighter,depending on entry) to carry the spaces together.
Another idea would be to paint the ceiling of the entry the darker or lighter tone of the living room to make the space warmer.
Have fun and good luck whatever you do.
November 9, 2012 at 7:51pm   
ranand
Thanks Everyone...
November 14, 2012 at 9:55am   
kara9
Beautiful home. I agree w above look at Lenox tan, Hawthorne beige, shaker beige. I am not sure about the frame moldings. If you are up to it, I would soften the white from a bright white to a softer white. I think the foyer should be the more dramatic color (darker) and the LR lighter. If you kept walls a neutral background you could change your accents according to seasons, trends. Ex. Use blue and green accents in summer then change to greens, pumpkin in fall, then reds, greens golds during holidays, then silvers, greys in Jan. I buy calendars and change out my frames accordingly. I use sisal rugs as base then in winter add an oriental on top of the sisal for a layered look. You can also use clear glass large vases filled with Christmas iranaments, sea shells, guourds, apples to change accents. Sounds like a lot, but really isn't and aFEW small changes really add interest and if you are on this page you must like decorating! Post your after!
November 14, 2012 at 11:45am   
ranand
Thanks so much....I will post the pics of the changes we did..How ever I do need help with another room color...
Please suggest wall color for this room..
November 14, 2012 at 12:04pm   
emma0217
We have a similar scheme in our home with wood on the staircase and painted trim. For our Foyer we had a pro pick colors for us and she went with Sherwin Willaims Loggia (SW7506) (a warm "greige"), with Sherwin Williams Alabaster (SW7008, a warm white) for the trim. I have to say, it makes our wood staircase look beautiful, and is a striking neutral color for the entry!
November 14, 2012 at 12:42pm   
careclare
A neighbor with tall walls painted a medium chocolate brown. Your room is large enough to get away with a deep color and do lighter version on the molding and/or inset. Period iving room: Pale neutral green/gray, depending on the carpet. Neutral background for the spectacular woodwork and windows! Or a yellowy gold or a pale lavender. Don't need much color...the architectural details speak volumes.
November 14, 2012 at 1:06pm     
PRO
PaintColorHelp.com Dallas
If you are keeping the staircase carpeting, its colors need to be taken into account. I can't tell from the photo what other colors it contains, besides the black background. I would beware of 'brown overload' if considering neutrals for -all- walls shown. Get out some of your major accent pieces (art, rug, drapes) and think about pulling a color from them for your walls. Maybe convert the entry to a neutral, but use an actual color in the dining room? Don't split up the wall, though: that just makes it look shorter, especially relative to the soaring entry.
November 14, 2012 at 3:17pm   
jnancy
I would consider painting staircase railing white like the woodwork.
November 14, 2012 at 9:56pm   
ranand
Attached are the before and after pics...
November 15, 2012 at 9:34am   
ranand
Before and after pics..
November 15, 2012 at 9:35am   
ranand
Before after pics...
November 15, 2012 at 9:36am   
decoenthusiaste
Nice work!
November 15, 2012 at 9:40am   
drememon
I love the moldings you added in the dining room and living room. Painting the built-ins in the dining room really tied it all together. Beautiful rooms, lovely choice. So comfortable, and elegant, now.
November 15, 2012 at 10:11am     
ranand
Thanks..Loving it...adding beautiful mirror between the buildins and the other 2 walls...
November 15, 2012 at 10:20am   
kara9
Much better!!!
November 15, 2012 at 11:08am   
ranand
Need help with this room....please help with the color...The other side of the room has beautiful build in Library dark work same as in the pic...
November 15, 2012 at 12:05pm   
PRO
Tile-Stones
With all of the beautiful dark furniture, I would definitely keep the walls light. Restoration Hardware has a lovely color called Silver Sage. Maybe paint the molding around the ceiling white so the space doesn't feel so boxed in.
November 15, 2012 at 12:29pm   
PRO
Adrian Ramsay Design House
Hi there, have you looked at soft grey tones with black and white ? They are very 'now' and would give a soft and beautiful effect
Cheers Adrian
November 15, 2012 at 12:39pm   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.