powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Getting ready to dive into a kitchen project and want to get it right!
Julie Hunt
August 2, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Recently my husband and I purchased a mid-century ranch. It has a very mid-century modern feel. The kitchen, I must admit, was what I fell in love with first but after thinking it over we made the decision that it was not very functional and that it would be the first to go.
At first glance it seemed perfect, boomerang counter tops with chrome trim, solid wood maple slab cabinets... very vintage. Problem, the kitchen at some point was reconfigured and made very awkward and the cabinets do not have backs. We then decided to stick with the same modern style but bring it into 2012. I would love to stay with the 1950's look but have to admit I don't want to spend money on something that people will come over and think it needs a renovation.

While I have always been a modern girl at heart out last home was very traditional in a town where everyone had the same style, therefore I have not had a lot of contact with the feel I am trying to pull off. Magizines and showrooms have been my only guide. Everyone gives us assurance but I just want to make sure its not lip service. I am not having doubts but I just need some unbiased opinions before we dive into these uncharted waters. We have already purchased our kitchen items but at this point nothing has been installed or demoed, we can turn around.
We have not made any decisions on paint, flooring, foot molding or back splash so if you have any suggestions for this please let me know.

I am posting the items we have chosen and hope to post the kitchen layout, (my scanner is being naughty). Any feed back is appreciated weather negative or positive. Our only sticking point is we want a modern feel not traditional.
Thanks!

Cabinets Chosen
IKEA Kitchen
We have a set of 3 horizontal smoked glass cabinets as well
Bernal Heights Residence

Toe kick is stain
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bwhitebread
Beautiful kitchen. I am dealing with the 50's maple slab fronts in a renovation. Do you have any base cabinets in this style you'd like to part with? Can't find matching and nothing new compliments this look very well.
0 Likes   November 3, 2012 at 9:42AM
Julie Hunt
Sorry, we are hoping to salvage the cabinets and use them in our laundry room.
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 7:46PM
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
I like the second picture the best. Are you trying to choose between them?
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 10:02PM
Julie Hunt
Oops! I guess I wasn't very clear on what the pictures were showing. The first picture with the glossy gray are the cabinets that we have chosen. The second picture was posted because of the smoked glass upper cabinets that we will also be installing as accent cabinets.
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 11:17AM
PRO
Stoneshop
I'm assuming that you're doing white quartz countertops, such as those shown in the images above?

For flooring, if possible, hardwood would be beautiful and really add some warmth to such a sleek, modern design. You can really see the warmth that it gives in the second image that you attached. If hardwood is not an option, there are some great porcelain tiles that look like wood available on the market. Here is a link to one company that we work with frequently--they're great!
http://mediterranea-usa.com/usa/american-naturals/

If you hover over the "USA" tab near the top of the page, links to more tile options will appear. Installing the tile in a herringbone pattern will give a unique, modern, spin on the wood look.
1 Like   January 3, 2013 at 11:26AM