powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with Master Bath Window and wall.
Sharon Drennon_Grzanka
August 8, 2012 in Design Dilemma
My window needs to be dramatic and as you can see what I have is not working, it needs to POP. Help

The other wall (3rd pic) is very tall and really needs something as well. I was thinking of a decal anything that would help but also needs to be a Wow...
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Doug Durando
Hey Sharon,

I think you could paint the inset wall by the window a brighter color to really make the bathtub cove stand out. That could help to further define the space and make it stand out.

Did you make any decisions on how to make the space pop?
December 21, 2012 at 2:57pm   
PRO
Tres McKinney Design
You already have a WOW factor with those beautiful curved arches and smooth wall finish.
Windows around a tub are tricky if you have a privacy issue. If you need sun control and privacy than I recommend plantation shutters in a dark wood stain to match your cabinetry. This will further the Tuscan or Mediterranean look of the room. I would also consider painting the walls a rich terra cotta, washed terra cotta or mustard gold depending on the color scheme of the adjoining bedroom. The photo image is dark so I can not tell what the round object is hanging over the tub but you might look for a round plaster or terra cotta relief element and center it on the wall over the window. Then add a beautiful mirror on the right side wall that will balance the window on the opposite wall. The mirror could have either a dark wood stained frame or an dark metal frame to match your bronze or black iron towel bars.
December 21, 2012 at 4:54pm   
Dar Eckert
Like the idea of painting the bath alcove a different color. Pale blue comes to mind. I also see the square window with stained glass.
December 21, 2012 at 7:17pm     
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I looked at some other bathrooms that have arched openings in the houzz photo section and found three that I liked and tried to analyze why yours is not working for you. I like the ideas given above, and found of particular interest Trey's mention of a mirror.

I had thought that a chandelier over the tub would have been wonderful, but it's a little late for that. So, we could increase the light level and add interest to the tub area with twin mirrors, on the tub walls to right and left. I found pictures of two mirrors, each quite different from the other, that could work if you bought a pair of one of them.

Another idea would be to have draperies tied back on either side of the arched opening, similar to the draperies on the windows shown below.
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID

Master Bath Remodel Limestone Reaume Construction & Design 3 Chambord - The Dominion Floria Carved Mirror Eclectic Mirrors living room
December 21, 2012 at 7:50pm     
roomi
I think you should move that little towel rail and do some kind of painted decal treatment around the arched door way. What a lovely bath space.
December 21, 2012 at 8:39pm   
PRO
Blind Faith LLC
Make a statement with the window by doing a stained shutter frame with a faux iron on hinges. If you have privacy concerns, you can add a motorized roller shade behind it or a film on the window. See this link on our page... I think it would be perfect!
January 19, 2013 at 8:44am   
angiesays
If you can afford stained glass, you can have your windows made in any color, style, or subject matter.
January 19, 2013 at 9:15am   
aniluap2
If you can't hang an electrified chandelier Over the tub you could buy an old crystal or wrought iron chandelier ( quite inexpensive when purchased at thrift shops) and use no drip candles in the bulb sockets for a romantic look. If you need more privacy I would add a pleated roman shade and some greenery , such as an orchid, in a beautiful container on one corner of the tub and remove the other embellishments.
January 19, 2013 at 9:41am   
aniluap2
I agree with tres McKinney design about removing the towel rack and replacing with a mirror which will help reflect more light. I like the carved mirror suggestion by Carolyn Albert kincl design
January 19, 2013 at 9:45am   
PRO
Chris Saper Portraits & Fine Art
My bath is set up almost exactly the same. The only difference is that i have a matching window on the right wall at the head of the tub I like the light coming in from both sides and you could certainly do the same by adding a vertical mirror. I have a preference for quiet monochrome palettes with colored or textured accent. Above the tub is a resin piece I painted the same color as the wall, so it's very subtle, but doesn't leave the area as dead space.
January 19, 2013 at 9:59am