powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
This is a gorgeous kitchen! Would you please share the name of the counter materials?
denisecarleton
August 17, 2012 in Photo Questions
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Pamela Bull
is it soapstone and carrara marble
August 18, 2012 at 9:49AM   
Sarah Walters
is it 2 cm or 3 cm slab thickness?
August 22, 2012 at 5:57PM   
subeeskitchen
Hi - I'm the homeowner. The perimeter counters are honed pietra cardosa and the island is honed calcutta gold marble. (1")
August 22, 2012 at 7:31PM     
missangel99
I love your counters. I was discouraged by many a granite company in using marble on my kitchen counters and island. Curious as to how hard these are to maintain their beauty?
September 11, 2012 at 11:51AM     
subeeskitchen
Many people tried to discourage me as well. The counters were sealed at installation (3 yrs ago) and nothing has been done since. (Probably due for a re-sealing.) I clean them with dish soap and a sponge. There are now several areas of etching from acidic foods -- lemon juice, etc., but you only see these if you're looking closely and at an angle. (It doesn't bother me.) The only thing you have to worry about is leaving a stain-causing item (red wine ring, pasta sauce, wet cast iron pan) on the surface for an extended period of time. (i.e., overnight)
September 11, 2012 at 12:49PM     
kathy204
Beautiful Kitchen!! What is the backsplash?
September 11, 2012 at 12:59PM     
subeeskitchen
Inexpensive white subway tiles! With a grayish grout for "age" and contrast.
September 11, 2012 at 1:13PM   
missangel99
Thanks for the comments about the marble, very nice of you to be so honest about it. You made up my mind. I"m Italian and we have pasta every Sunday and wine. Lol I don't think I could handle having to worry about that staining. It is very beautiful though, I love your kitchen!!
September 11, 2012 at 2:26PM   
flauritsen
Do you mind telling me about the upkeep on the pietra cardosa? I've been told it is very hard and does not etch, and then I've been told the opposite. What's the wear and tear like on your perimeter counters? Thanks so much!
October 1, 2012 at 11:17AM   
subeeskitchen
I haven't seen any etching, but most of my prep work is done on the marble island. It's not what I would call "hard", though. I have a few nicks around the sink edge from heavy pans. I'm still very happy with the material.
October 1, 2012 at 11:24AM   
Mary Maragakis
I'm in love with this Kitchen!! Can you please tell me who the designer is? Or how I can get a hold of them, I have the same Kitchen plan at my house and I would love to do the same thing you have done.
Great Job!!
October 27, 2012 at 5:36PM     
subeeskitchen
Thanks - this kitchen was a collaborative effort among the architect, designer (Katja at Papyrus Home Design in NJ), cabinetmaker (Darren Edsall, NJ) and me (homeowner/cook/food blogger). For a comprehensive plan you could contact Katja; for hourly consulting you could contact me via my blog - www.subeeskitchen.com.
November 23, 2012 at 12:44PM     
subeeskitchen
Thanks - this kitchen was a collaborative effort among the architect, designer (Katja at Papyrus Home Design in NJ), cabinetmaker (Darren Edsall, NJ) and me (homeowner/cook/food blogger). For a comprehensive plan you could contact Katja; for hourly consulting you could contact me via my blog - www.subeeskitchen.com.
November 23, 2012 at 12:44PM     
tracywells
Your taste is amazing. I am finishing up a kitchen with white inset cabinets and was going to do all calacatta but then decided my budget couldn't handle three slabs on calacatta gold extra so we are considering and island of Calacatta gold extra and either soapstone or pietra cardoza for the perimeter just like this. Are you still happy with the pietra and it's durability? I am wondering if you had considered soapstone and if so your reasons for going with the pietra? Thanks for the inspiration!
December 17, 2012 at 9:53AM   
flauritsen
I am using in my new kitchen Pietra on my island, and carrera marble all around the perimeter and in the bar area. I went with a very white (not a gray) Carrera, so it looks really nice with the pietra and by golly is it a LOT cheaper than Calacatta!!! Plus the little flecks of gray in the carrera pick up the blue/gray slate color of the pietra so they go so great together. Thanks for showing off a kitchen with both marble and pietra together!!!
December 17, 2012 at 10:40AM   
jfine2
Subees,

I think your kitchen is gorgeous. I am married to an Italian with the pasta at least once or twice a week but I am not letting that change my mind after seeing your home. We were in Italy some years ago and marble is all over for hundreds of years. One question about the Pietra cards marble how is that with cleaning because that is close to the cooktop and sink where all of the prep work is really done? Thanks in advance.
January 13, 2013 at 7:46PM   
subeeskitchen
Hi - Trying to catch up on comments. I went with pietra over soapstone because all of the soapstone I saw was too green -- I wanted gray. The pietra cleans easily, even right next to the stove. No staining, even with heavy use. The only complaint would be the softness -- there are quite a few chips around the sink cutout (from heavy pots, pans, etc). I still don't think I'd do it differently, however.
January 13, 2013 at 8:27PM   
shirinjoone
Very classy Kitchen, I had mine done with like colors. Only this time I chose silestone, white with a bit of gray grains. and dark chocolate on the perimeters. I get many complements, and its so easy to take care of. My last kitchen was Marble, The gossip among My family and friends was that I had O.C.D. and only when it came down to my kitchen.
I can only say that this change treated my disorder :)
June 24, 2013 at 11:16PM   
Deborah Posner
I love your floor. What is it?
December 5, 2013 at 4:53PM   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.