Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Direction of bathroom lighting.
jeanpasvar
August 23, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I am changing the light fixture to one that has only 4 bulbs. It will be a total of 400 watts. Should I hang the lights up or down in order to make the bathroom as light as possible?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Emily Hurley
Hi Jean, What did you decide to do with your lighting? Would love to see an update of how it turned out!
0 Likes   November 28, 2012 at 5:54PM
Arlen Dau
I have a different direction for you to consider... We installed these sconces "through" the mirror in our bathroom remodel. I read a lot about the idea of light both direct AND reflecting. My wife tells me this is the best make-up mirror she has ever used. Your going to need to take down the mirror and replace it with the same size only adding two 5" cut holes. Then run wiring to both. Not easy but a great result.
1 Like   November 28, 2012 at 7:23PM
jeanpasvar
Here it is. Thanks for asking. This is what I did. First I changed the shower door to a frameless shower door and went with an antique brushed copper finish on the doors limited hardware. I found some antique copper pulls at a super Home Improvement store that was going out of business for $2.00 each and added them to the cabinets. I restained the cabinets myself in order to freshen them up. We had to change the countertop because it was worn out in the sink. I stayed with the cultured marble like the tub and shower. Bought a new light fixture on clearnence online in the Antique Copper finish and then I painted the brass on the Mirror doors copper finish and then brushed on an Oil Rubbed Bronze finish. We had the wallpaper removed, the walls skip trowel textured, painted a light color then had a stain mixed with brown applied to the walls. Oh and I bought 2 framed mirrors to replace the originial. What do you think about the mirrors? I bought them on clearance $50 for both. Not sure if I really like them and may buy a large framed mirror later. My bathroom accessories have a copper finish look to them.
1 Like   November 28, 2012 at 7:34PM
houssaon
Sconces on either side of the mirror is the best location. 400 watts is a lot of light. Too much in my opinion.
0 Likes   November 28, 2012 at 7:37PM
jeanpasvar
The 400 watts works fine. The old fixture had even more watts. Thanks for your opinion.
0 Likes   November 28, 2012 at 7:42PM