Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help with designing pool/billiard room
m1g1
August 28, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Have 12' ceilings. WIll install recessed lights so as not to obstruct the view. Hoping to put an upright piano on the diagonal wall. Space is tight because of the 5' clearance needed around the table. What to do about sliding door dressing, and also what to do on the left wall (straight beige/off white wall parallel to the pool table) (e.g. counter, saddle stools, etc). Also the alcove on the right where the pool cues are....what else can I add? There is a pocket door, so can't hang anything on the wall that requires nails deeper than drywall.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Lanie Brown, REALTORĀ®, Martha Turner Sotheby's
It looks like you have an accent of yellow, so maybe curtain panels that somehow compliment the design in the rug and include yellow. Move the pot with the pool cues to that small wall under the elephant and get huge artwork to go in the alcove.
1 Like   August 28, 2012 at 6:27AM
PRO
Well Being by Design
You don't have much space but you need seating for your spectators. How about two Turow chairs? As a retailer for American Leather I can have them delivered to your house. http://www.americanleather.com/Chairs/Turow.aspx The fabric could be a darker beige leather to pick up the beige on the rug and complement the grey walls, I would go with Sierra Bone, second row, second from left: http://www.americanleather.com/Coverings/Leather.aspx I'm in admiration over your pool table, could you tell me if it was custom made or is it available commercially?
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 5:38AM
PRO
Design Mode
I would take out the wall that the ship is against so that you can enjoy the gorgeous vista to the other room. A larger area rug will help with acoustics - with tile floors the sounds of pool balls clacking will reverberate. Could you do a soft surface to back the alcove, with either a bar/refreshment storage area, or pub height table and stools? Padding covered in raw silk or linen would work.
Your pool table with Asian style legs, the elephant, and boat suggest a theme of 'travelled adventurer.' I like that the room is bright and has tall ceilings - not the typical men's club dark wood. I think you have room for a tall palm tree or exotic plant.
There are some modern looks on Houzz to peruse.... http://www.houzz.com/pool-table/ls=4
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 6:17AM
m1g1
Thanks "Well Being By Design". I have updated the room a little since I posted this picture 5 months ago, added curtains and different additional furniture. However I am still in need of two chairs. I love those chairs you suggested. Do they come in counter height as well? Are they available as dining chairs? Thanks a lot. The pool table is a Peter Vitalie. Unfortunately it has been discontinued now, but maybe you could find a used one.
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 12:46PM
m1g1
"Design Mode", thanks for your comments. I have added furniture and drapes since the original posting 5 months ago. The elephant head is gone (it was a remnant from previous decor as was the boat and table). The wall the boat was on now has a large tall bookshelf type cupboard customized to hold the pool cues and accessories. On the wall to the left of the pool table (you can't see in the photo) there is a buffet and I am looking to add two counter height chairs on either side. I have a grey semicircular table with shelf in the alcove right now with small spotlights shining down. I like your idea of a "padded wall". Will definitely look into that. Thanks!
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 12:55PM
Metta S
As a pool player I see some big problem with the pool room. You need a pool light and block the windows so the natural light doesn't come through otherwise you don't see the angles correctly on the balls. OK OK the room looks great unless your a pool freak.
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 12:57PM
PRO
Well Being by Design
Hi m1g1,

The Turow only comes as a chair, but Century makes the Slipstream counter stool which would look great here; same dark finish and novel lines. Here is the link and picture.
http://www.centuryfurniture.com/Gallery/ShowItem.aspx?sku=41H-562C&Section=TYPE

Century also makes the Fanwood armchair for dining.
http://www.centuryfurniture.com/Gallery/ShowItem.aspx?sku=3445A&Section=TYPE
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 1:22PM
m1g1
Hi "Mettak". Thanks, we have since added drapes and have great recessed lighting. The angles of the room are odd (not really seen in the photo), so a pool light would look awkward. Also, we have a lake that the sliding doors look out on, so a pool light would obstruct the view from the dining room behind. We are just social players, not serious pool freaks, so wanted to add beauty not just function. Thanks.
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 4:16PM
m1g1
Hi "Well Being By Design". Love the lines of the Slipstream counter stool . Thanks. Will look into getting two.
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 4:17PM
PRO
Well Being by Design
I'm a Century retailer as well. I'll look into it first thing Monday morning. Have a great evening!
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 4:22PM
m1g1
Thanks. You too.
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 4:27PM
PRO
Well Being by Design
Good morning! Could I have your email address? I'll send a quote.
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 6:24AM
PRO
Well Being by Design
Hi m1g1,
Well Being by Design can have your stools delivered with white glove service. Find us here under Netherlands Antilles. http://centuryfurniture.com/RetailerLocator/Locate.aspx
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 5:27AM
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
We also are a Century dealer, and located in Minnesota. We can deliver to you as well. If you're taking quotes, I'd love to have a chance to bid. Thanks!
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 5:38AM
PRO
Well Being by Design
Hi Gabberts, you would propose the same stools in this setting?
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 5:49AM
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
I love the stools, and think they really work well in your space. I would definitely recommend them.
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 5:51AM