Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Should I re-paint bedroom white?
Frank Bright
August 28, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I just redid my bedroom and the colors are moving more into white, silver with teal and blue as accent colors. The Furniture is of more traditional darker woods. But as you can see, the wall color is (and has been) beige. It may technically be bisque...I can't really tell.
Is this ok to keep as is or would you recommend repainting the walls in an antique white? Or other color?
I appreciate any feedback. Thanks,
Frank
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michigammemom
The beige you have on your walls has nice warm yellow undertones. I like the contrast with your white comforter and your blue accents.
8 Likes   August 28, 2012 at 5:19PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Many Thanks Michigammemom for your input. I've lately been studying designer magazines. And whenever I've seen beige or bisque walls for a bedroom design in a magazine, gone are any definitive colors and everything is done in rustic textures and faded tans and whites - maybe some light browns and muted copper colors appear if you're lucky.
So it made me wonder if I was wrong to venture into stronger colors, given my wall color. But Beige is a neutral color from what I've always understood, so why not go for it.
2 Likes   August 28, 2012 at 5:49PM
PRO
Dytecture
I agree, you have great taste and style and I wouldn't change a thing !

5 Likes   August 29, 2012 at 5:57AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Thanks Dytecture !!
1 Like   August 29, 2012 at 8:33AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Here's an update where I changed my pillows....Now that I see this - I see it's too busy. I'll post a newer simpler idea following this...
1 Like   August 29, 2012 at 2:13PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Maybe this works better....much simpler.
4 Likes   August 29, 2012 at 2:26PM
gingerclaire
I still like the first version best!
6 Likes   October 15, 2012 at 10:42AM
janishill
Frank...if I may make a suggestion...drop the center canvas down so the top is level with the side prints. They should all be level straight across.

Then ditch either the round pillow or the lumbar pillow. And can you put the two pillows with the white shams against the head board and the two with the blue cases in front of them? Just turn the seamed edge of the pillowcases so they are on the outside edge and the open end to the middle ( I tuck them under so they are not visible when I need to) Just give it a try and see how it looks. :-)

One other thing that is 'off'' visually. And it may just be the angle of the picture, but the Chinese symbol on top appears to be hung higher than the window frame. Nothing should ever be higher than the window or door frame. Items can hang even with the top of them, but not higher.There are always exceptions to this rule, but not given your ceiling height.

Anyway...I would like to see these minor changes. You can always put things back the way they were if you don't like them. :-)
5 Likes   October 15, 2012 at 9:42PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Thank you all for your comments. Here's an update - I worked on the pillows for a while and I think I found the right combo for me and the room.

Janis, I took your advice on the painting levels but I had since added valences over the windows, actually using extra space above to put the valences and make the windows seem higher/longer. So I don't think the top oriental piece is a problem anymore.

Thanks ! Frank B.
4 Likes   October 16, 2012 at 5:23PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Also I think the artwork on the main wall gallery there is much more streamlined and congruent now.
2 Likes   October 16, 2012 at 5:24PM
janishill
It's teh little things that make a difference. The pillows work! The valances are hung at the perfect height. The gallery wall looks like it is supposed to and the oriental character is no longer an issue.

Thanks for the updated photos. I love seeing (sorry I have forgotten his name) your sweet pup on the bed.
2 Likes   October 16, 2012 at 5:37PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Thanks Janis !! Your compliments mean a lot. I patterned the pillows after the main art piece - a deep blue sea with the surface reflecting a teal color.
Thanks again for all your wonderful input and advice.
2 Likes   October 16, 2012 at 5:53PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Janis, that's 'Previn', named after Andre Previn, the jazz pianist and symphony conductor.
1 Like   October 16, 2012 at 5:57PM
janishill
I own a dog walking/pet care business and can tell Previn is a much loved fellow.
1 Like   October 16, 2012 at 6:29PM
PRO
Urban Ideas Inc.
I do like the bisque colour, but if you would like a change, I would suggest a white with a grey undertone or a pale tiffany blue. If you lighten up the colour it will make the space feel larger. Also, cooler tones on the walls would coordinate with your pillows.
4 Likes   October 16, 2012 at 6:46PM
jennifercronin
What about a little more monochromatic look - a teal or something in blue fam for walls?
0 Likes   October 16, 2012 at 7:27PM
kah416
I love your room! I think the wall color looks cozy and warm...I have the similar color scheme in our bedroom but my walls are just a tinge lighter. :) I was thinking if I ever tire of the color, a nice light gray would probably be a good choice, so maybe the same for you if you ever need a wall color change. :) Do what makes you feel good :) Looks great!! B
2 Likes   October 16, 2012 at 8:09PM
anitajoyce
I like the color! leave it as it is.
1 Like   October 16, 2012 at 8:19PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Thanks you all for your comments. Yes, Janis, he is much loved !! Jennifer and Kah, you both have good ideas.

As for painting the wall those lighter, pale colors,I feel like I'm bordering on androgyny already in my design. I'm no macho man, but I try to keep it a little less than girl-ie.

The light gray Kah mentioned and shows in the photos are definitely a tempting idea.

Well I'm nodding off. It's been a full day !! Many Thanks,
Frank B.
2 Likes   October 16, 2012 at 8:20PM
PRO
Draped In Style
Sherwin-Williams "Sea Salt" and "Comfort Gray" are great bluish/sage/slightly grayish blues that are great! However, I think the wall color you already have looks warm and inviting. I'd leave it as most have suggested. I liked the original pillows on the first photo best.
1 Like   October 16, 2012 at 8:39PM
hockey456
To answer your original question....the wall color is great.
I think your pillows in 1 and 3 are best.
I think you have too much art competing for attention. I like the 3 above the bed. I like the large blue one as well, but is there another wall to hang it on? I would remove some of the smaller art as it gets too cluttered and loses elegance.
0 Likes   October 16, 2012 at 11:10PM
lisalovesquilts
Frank I like your colour too and wouldn't change it but I just also liked the suggestion by Urban Ideas too. I like your dark furniture and I think your lamps are a nice modern and light contrast to that sturdiness. In the picture with Previn the light fitting seemed a little low is that the case or just a photo angle thing? I was merely concerned about banging your head! I am very impressed by your get up and go. Room after room and no stopping!
1 Like   October 17, 2012 at 8:03AM
PRO
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
Do like your room and enjoy this discussion very much - Liked the pillows in first photo and yet believe each time you redo them they need help - perhaps it is the large pillows underneath are laying down and the decor pillows lean oddly - either add an additional queen size to support the visual you strive to accomplish or straighten the existing queen size pillow to more of a vertical position. Jonathan Adler Bedding Parish Gray Duvet Cover Or Set Living Stone Construction, Inc.
3 Likes   October 17, 2012 at 8:24AM
PRO
Whoops - I mean king size!
1 Like   October 17, 2012 at 8:25AM
PRO
PS - Last thought/compliment - love the white and bisque in room - Frank it really is lovely -
0 Likes   October 17, 2012 at 9:42AM
louisegratton
Hey I love your bedroom design. I only find there are too many things on the wall. That's just a personal preference . Less = More. :-)
0 Likes   October 17, 2012 at 9:46AM
PRO
the essentials inside
Love the bedroom! Also love that you have enough art pieces to change/move around in your home. Of course, Previn is my most favorite accessory!

Living room, dining room, bedroom done. What's next? :)

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com

(P.S. I see there are a number of us who love pets + design! janishill - you'll have to tell me about ur biz. We have a pet supplies store too-www.letsbepets.com)
0 Likes   October 18, 2012 at 11:32AM
PRO
Vikrant Sharma Homez
Good Work on your own ! I love it .
1 Like   October 18, 2012 at 11:54AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Many Thanks you all ! Louise I took your advice on the Art Gallery wall - I'll post a photo update asap.
0 Likes   October 19, 2012 at 8:30AM
PRO
Draped In Style
Glad to hear it! Louise was brave enough to actually say what many of us were thinking....Less IS more especially when it comes to art. Let each piece make it's own statement. Can't wait to see the most recent photo.
2 Likes   October 19, 2012 at 8:40AM
Natalie
Hi---lovely room, terrific art! I feel as though some of the pieces get lost because there is very little variation/contrast in color---art above bed, window valances, etc. I would go a couple shades darker on the walls---check BM SAG HARBOR GRAY---I think it would be fantastic for your room. Hope this is helpful... CheerS!
1 Like   October 19, 2012 at 8:52AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Thanks for the suggestion Natalie. Here's a final update - I took out the right two art pieces and replaced them with a single vertical clock just to highlight the area. I think it is much better. Some could say even the clock is too much, but this gets it for me.

I also (re) arranged the pillows according to Paradise Restored's suggestions.
6 Likes   October 20, 2012 at 6:22AM
PRO
Frank Bright
For anyone interested in seeing my kitchen, I just did a new post in the Before/After section. I renovated the kitchen when I moved in so it got a head start on the rest of the house. Thanks you all !!
1 Like   October 20, 2012 at 6:27AM
apennameandthata
Your walls look green to me.
0 Likes   October 20, 2012 at 6:51AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Apenname, others have mentioned that as well. I see it in a very subtle way. Also a camera alters things to some degree.
0 Likes   October 20, 2012 at 7:08AM
Natalie
You got the art and pillows nailed! Now---2 shades darker on walls and it will be perfect!
1 Like   October 20, 2012 at 9:19AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Thanks Natalie, I thought so too.
1 Like   October 21, 2012 at 10:05AM
janishill
Hi Frank...I wanted to share these gallery style walls with you, but am too lazy to hunt for your kitchen post. :-)
1 Like   October 21, 2012 at 10:44AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Thanks Janis - nice lines !
0 Likes   October 21, 2012 at 11:06AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Janis, I asked this in the living room post but since I might catch you here....Can you tell me whether curtain tiebacks are currently in style or not? I've heard from some designers that they are out of style.
0 Likes   October 21, 2012 at 11:08AM
janishill
They are out except for the very most formal rooms; say in the white house! :-) A good update would be grommet topped curtains in your living room. They are a lot like your rug; a little fun and modern.

Which color from your rug is your favorite? Use that for the drapes. I'll add an illustration showing the best way to hang them. I like would like to see these in cobalt:http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/bedbathstore_2229_715328339

Or these in either the mandarin or the lime: http://www.bedbathstore.com/masocogrtopc.html
Of course that may be too much for some people, but they would add a punch of fun color!

On for those straight lines...measure the height in several places. Make hash marks as you go, then either use a length of 2" or 3" wide tape to get the perfect straight edge to hang the pictures above and below. Pretty easy.
0 Likes   October 21, 2012 at 11:59AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Thanks for your instruction Janis.
0 Likes   October 23, 2012 at 5:35AM
janishill
I hope you know I don't intend to come across as "do it this way", but rather as" this way has worked for me"

I still want to see updates as you go. In my house rooms evolve. First this, then that, finally close to perfect, then tired of it, time to change...yada, yada, yada...:-)
3 Likes   October 23, 2012 at 6:52AM
PRO
the essentials inside
janishill - It is not my house of course but I don't think you come across as "do it this way". In my roamings around here at Houzz, I am finding that there are some commenters who are not so nice, some who are not very helpful (and sometimes VERY not helpful), and others who are very nice and very helpful -- you fall into the very nice & very helpful. :)

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
6 Likes   October 23, 2012 at 8:47AM
PRO
Frank Bright
I do have an update for the living room curtains, Janis. Ironically, while you were posting those helpful diagrams for me and giving me more color suggestions, I was out picking up ivory curtains.

I should put the picture in that proper thread so look for it in the 'Learning that pillows make the room etc' thread.
0 Likes   October 23, 2012 at 8:49AM
Jan May
Lovely to see the "after" photos. What an improvement. Little changes, and they've made a huge difference. Suddenly the room looks sleeker and more elegant.
2 Likes   October 23, 2012 at 8:53AM
PRO
Frank Bright
I took a shift on this room...mostly for Feng Shui purposes as this is the south room of the house. Also, I had the oriental symbols already there, so I thought that should be the theme to run with.

And true to this thread's title, this all blended better with the wall color I have. Thanks!
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 11:41AM
lisalovesquilts
Frank this is lovely. The colours are so nice together and recalling what you said way back at the start not at all girlie! I really like sleigh beds, they seem so sturdy.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 2:47PM
PRO
Frank Bright
I went for a more singular statement on the left wall....
4 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 3:06AM
janishill
And it works better than anything you have tried thus far. Nice job. Even Previn likes it! ;-)
2 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 5:17AM
janishill
I keep getting an error message on "Learning that pillows make a difference" thread! ;-(
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 6:04PM
PRO
the essentials inside
Previn is just so amazingly cute! I think he brings every room together.

Bedroom looks great Frank!

Janis - maybe that thread finally reached full capacity. ;)

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
1 Like   January 8, 2013 at 6:46PM
janishill
I am fearful that is what happened Lyvonne.

There is another post going: http://www.houzz.com/discussions/296130
where I would love to see the Wouzzer-Houzzers!
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 6:55PM
PRO
the essentials inside
Funny, I was in that one earlier. Just read through, didn't comment yet. Poster seems very open to advice, like Frank!

I'll check back in there later tonight! See you there.

Love @kdeley's room too - saw you there. :)

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
1 Like   January 8, 2013 at 7:30PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Hi Janis and Lyvonne ! Yes, I'm getting that error message too. I think Houzz.com thinks that thread is done !!
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 7:43PM
PRO
Frank Bright
I was going to post this for the living-media room. This is my original photograph of a flower also doctored in Photoshop.
(the blue flower that was framed here before)
1 Like   January 9, 2013 at 4:43AM
janishill
Frank, I think it needs the height of the two pictures you had there earlier.

It does apper that Houzz put a stop to the thread, but it makes me sad. There is a lot of good info there and others that have come in late hate very much enjoyed it. It saddends me that Houzz is censoring the length of a thread. I have even gone back and reread parts of it.
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 5:09AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Trust me Janis, it is plenty high. You'd see it if you were here. keep in mind in the photo that you're seeing only the top section of the book shelf.

I moved the other pair over to the shelf by the fireplace.
1 Like   January 9, 2013 at 6:13AM
PRO
Frank Bright
To be specific, the top of the picture is only 6 inches from the top of the entrance way between the foyer and the living-media room.
1 Like   January 9, 2013 at 6:34AM
PRO
the essentials inside
Hi guys! Flower picture looks fantastic Frank - so you have even more talents than putting up w/us. ;)

It's possible the thread is gone due to a coding glitch. (If it is still gone, haven't tried yet). There might be some code that previously set a max on the number of comments & they don't realize it has been exceeded. I doubt they would take it down - a good post w/lots of comments so an active community, which is very attractive to everyone. But, then again, I could be wrong. It happens sometimes.

Have a fantastic day! Gotta run...busy busy...be back tonight. Frank, tell Previn I said 'woof'.

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
1 Like   January 9, 2013 at 8:03AM
PRO
LM Designers
Beautiful room as is. Only thing I would consider is picking a blue from your painting for the walls.
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 8:36AM
Norma Sassone
I think it is almost perfect with the Buddha painting. I am not sure I like the fan
"on point" over the bed. Could you bring back two of the beige framed pictures that you had over the bed, but leave the Buddha? I love your new gold and brown cushions. I am an antique quilt lover - I'd like to see that wuilt draped over the footbaord, perhaps, since there are not other printed fabrics on the bed to make it too busy. It's been fun following your transformations.
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 8:51AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Sorry to post this photo from the living room again but I wanted to show it after I had it printed professionally and reframed.

Janis you got your wish about the extra height - I chose that frame size because I could buy the standard frame myself and save some money.
1 Like   January 11, 2013 at 5:13AM
PRO
Frank Bright
The frame is actually silver but it throws off a copper color from the light for some reason. That's not so bad really I think.
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 5:15AM
janishill
I like it, if that counts for anything. Just move the lamp in a littl so it doesn't look like it is going to fall off the table! :-) ...And of course the red thing as well.

Must go. Dogs and cats await!
1 Like   January 11, 2013 at 5:18AM
PRO
the essentials inside
Not sure what is happening in the pillows thread so I just wanted to pop in here & reiterate that I have loved watching the progression of all your rooms!

I see that you have posted the guest room so I'll see you in that thread. Glad you are keeping the exercise equipment out - then the other Houzzers and I won't have to go to the gym when we visit. ;)

See you over there.

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
1 Like   January 13, 2013 at 8:16AM
PRO
the essentials inside
Janis? Jaaaaannnnniiiiiiiisssssssssss! Are you still around? Your profile is coming up blank - no discussions, no ideabooks. :(

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 4:23PM
janishill
Lyvonne...that is strange. I'm here though there are those that wish I weren't. ;-)
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 4:38PM
PRO
the essentials inside
Phew! I was a little worried due to the craziness on the other thread. I am going to assume that I am just not getting the joke and leave it at that. I am glad you are still here. :) I'll see you around the threads!

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
1 Like   January 13, 2013 at 4:50PM
PRO
Montgomery Communications
great thread!!!!
may i add this to consider:
go around and put a bunch of photos of what YOU like on under your name. There are only two photos.
We can all chime in better to give input, if we know more about you and what you like, what you would like to strive fore.

flip through a bunch of photos, and over time you'll see the color palets you are drawn to. You will answer your own questions about what color to paint, based on your insight to what 'does it' for you.

other thought, in terms of what color to use -- what colors will flow best? what other rooms are in the line of site?

and having said all that, i'd say to consider a neutral grey, not blue. imho a room color should not draw attention to itself, it should be a base line upon which the melody is built. it should be the chord progression, not the main interest. the color of the walls are a backdrop, a rhythm -- you HAVE to it and the whole thing is nothing without it -- sublte, complex, supportive and guiding. but it is not what most people are pulled to.

of course, i'm a cellist, if you can't tell. a pianist might have another take LOL

but again, not sure whether to say, do this ala Miles Davis, or, do that ala Oscar Petersen, unless we know more about you and what gets your toes wiggling.
1 Like   January 13, 2013 at 5:32PM
janishill
Lyvonne...there is no joke, just snide remarks by someone.
1 Like   January 13, 2013 at 6:26PM
cyn222
Looks soothing to me just the way it is.
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 12:51AM
PRO
the essentials inside
Janis - I'd just stay out of the other thread. :( It is tainted now, will only drive you crazy. You can turn off the email updates for that thread. I did.

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
1 Like   January 17, 2013 at 3:44PM
janishill
It's sad really.
2 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 4:10PM
PRO
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
Janis, who are you referring to?
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 4:34PM
PRO
Essentials Inside...how do you turn of email updates for threads? cannot workout how to do it/
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 4:44PM
mcbride2304
When you get the email about a new update to a thread look at the bottom of the email and there is a line that you can click on that says I don't want to receive any more updates
on this subject. Click on that and it unsubscribes you.
1 Like   January 17, 2013 at 4:54PM
PRO
the essentials inside
Hi Julie!

Whenever you get an email from a thread - look at the bottom of the email.

You'll see these:

Stop notifications of new comments on ONLY this discussion.
Stop notifications of new comments on ALL discussions.

You can click on whichever one applies & it will unsubscribe you.

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
1 Like   January 17, 2013 at 4:56PM
PRO
Thanks Lyvonne, eyesight not that great..but you're right..it's there.Thanks!
1 Like   January 17, 2013 at 4:57PM