Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Learning that pillows make the room...once again
Frank Bright
August 31, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I thought I'd share my recent venture of decorating my living room. I'm pretty much an amateur but I was really struck how the pillows came to the rescue for this room. It blows my mind what pillows can do.
I hope it pleases the eyes....
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Homescapes Europa Ltd
Your pillows and curtains are looking good altogether and giving good appearance to the room. You can do a little experiment with the rug and keep that neutral.
14 Likes   October 11, 2012 at 2:59AM
lisalovesquilts
I like your patterned armchair with the cushion on it. I also like the coffee table, the legs/frame of it are really very nice. I hope you don't mind my saying but I think your mirror would look better hung in the landscape position. It would fit the space over the sofa better.
33 Likes   October 11, 2012 at 3:36AM
charleee
My opinion, too much uncoordinated pattern with the two rugs and the chair. They're all beautiful in their own right, just not together.
37 Likes   October 11, 2012 at 3:53AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Thanks for your comments everybody. With respect to your ideas Bobbi P, you have a point . I thought about that possible problem after I put it together and decided that it worked. But I also had a thought of switching that patterned chair out to a solid brown leather chair I have and seeing how that works. So I may try that.

I could probably do better with a solid rug under the recliner. That small rug aside, I can tell you that being in the room in person, I don't think it's too much. But keeping an open mind is key so I'll make the switch.

Lisa, I've since replaced the mirror with a large clock. I had set the mirror in portrait view because the opposite wall has a 55" flatscreen TV in landscape view and I wanted the contrast. So now the circular clock provides that contrast.
5 Likes   October 11, 2012 at 6:04AM
PRO
amydutton Home
Yes, I too agree that pillows are a "bang for your buck" and can pull the room together for a complete concept.
Here is my suggestion to pull the entire concept together:
1) Try pulling some of the pillow fabrics in the blue / blue & white into a piece on the wall.
2) The rug does throw the eye a bit. To make it work, add a pink color also into the wall art.
3) Use this same pink fabric in a tieback for the curtain.
Repeating color & texture is a wonderful way to pull everything together.
Most of all, have fun!
5 Likes   October 11, 2012 at 6:13AM
lisalovesquilts
Let us see what else you do Frank. I like your open-mindedness and your boldness with colour and pattern. I think overall your room looks welcoming which is always a good thing to me!
3 Likes   October 11, 2012 at 7:44AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Thanks you all. I very much appreciate your encouragement Lisa.

Here's a picture update....
30 Likes   October 11, 2012 at 8:45AM
michigammemom
Removing the small rug and adding some of the neon colored pillows really pulls your room together.
17 Likes   October 11, 2012 at 8:48AM
PRO
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
I think that is an improvement from your first picture. I would vote for a rug with a smaller pattern and more focused colors that coordinate with the pillows, blues and greens. Hope that helps.
Charmean Neithart
8 Likes   October 11, 2012 at 8:57AM
charleee
I agree with Charmean and michigammemom, HUGELY better! Good job!
5 Likes   October 11, 2012 at 9:00AM
lisalovesquilts
I hope you kept your patterned chair for somewhere else Frank, I really liked it. Good job and thanks for the updated picture.
5 Likes   October 11, 2012 at 9:57AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Many Thanks for all your feedback everybody. And yes, Lisa - I'm still using the patterned chair. I switched it with another location but now it's just competing with a different rug ! But hey, it's good stuff....Thanks
7 Likes   October 11, 2012 at 12:19PM
Darzy
Looks good! Yes, second photo better. Love the pop of pink pillow on the sofa.
6 Likes   October 11, 2012 at 12:54PM
Emily Hurley
Love it! Thank you so much for sharing this.
1 Like   October 11, 2012 at 1:11PM
Jennifer S.
I'd hang the mirror the other way, thay way there isn't as much empty space between the edges of the mirrors and the speakers. Of course we all know the dog makes the second photo ;)
4 Likes   October 11, 2012 at 1:35PM
charleee
The dog! How cute! Is that a cocker spaniel?
3 Likes   October 11, 2012 at 1:45PM
anitajoyce
. OH, The Second Picture Is Very Nicely Redone. I can focus on the whole room now. Much better!
1 Like   October 11, 2012 at 1:46PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Thanks You all !! My dog is a Shish-Tzu named 'Previn', after Andre Previn.
6 Likes   October 12, 2012 at 4:03PM
charleee
How cute!
3 Likes   October 12, 2012 at 4:05PM
Nancy Hehmann
I liked the mirror you had; but, hung in a landscape position. Those blue cushions are really nice.
2 Likes   October 12, 2012 at 4:21PM
Elise
May I ask the reason for the doormat on top of your cute carpet?
0 Likes   October 12, 2012 at 4:34PM
charleee
Elise, check the picture update, it's been removed.....Bobbi
2 Likes   October 12, 2012 at 4:35PM
PRO
City Girls Decor
Agree on the mirror, Carolina. Horizontal would be really great. Great Idea!
1 Like   October 12, 2012 at 5:04PM
Elise
Thanks Bobbi! Much better Frank!
2 Likes   October 12, 2012 at 5:48PM
PRO
the essentials inside
Hi all. Great room and fabulous input. I love the changes you made, though I would like to see a pic with the mirror back in the landscape position like the others suggested.

I really love that ShihTzu accessory. I have one of my own and have to say he really pulls every room together.

I'll keep an eye out for more updates!

Lyvonne
the essentials inside
www.essentialsinside.com
5 Likes   October 12, 2012 at 6:53PM
janishill
Oh wow! You are getting there. In picture # 2 the room is oh so much more inviting.

I vote for the mirror in landscape position. The clock might work well over the shelf you have to the right of the doorway.

Have you tried putting the floral pillow on the brown chair and any one of the other pillows on the recliner? That would help help to incorporate them into the overall scheme.

I would try to find a remote control holder in orange to bring that color into the room and to eliminate some clutter from the side table. If I couldn't find one in a bright color (taken from your rug) I would buy a wood tone one and spray paint it orange.

Oh...and I would remove the oriental vase and flowers.

Keep up the good work. For someone that has never tried to decor you are doing an awesome job!
0 Likes   October 12, 2012 at 7:39PM
PRO
Frank Bright
You all are really helping a lot - it is looking much more streamlined than before. There are a couple of things I want to explain just for clarity, some of which you've asked me to share.

I had the small brown rug under the recliner because the white area of the main rug was gathering some stains there, it being the busiest area where I sit and get up twenty times or more in a day. (Remember there's a flatscreen TV on the opposite wall.)

One reason I hesitate to try the mirror in landscape position in that location is how I have my surround-sound speakers flanking the sides of that wall. It seems to line up with the speaker configuration better in portrait position. But, I'll take a second consideration on that and see what I do. I may have to move the speakers etc.

I have since removed the second wooden side table by the recliner - you really don't see it much, barely in the edges of the photo where the ipad is face-up, but it was too cluttered, as you all pointed out, so it's gone.

I hesitate to get rid of the flower arrangement - I think it really adds a welcoming touch to the room and I like the idea of white as an accent color.

Also, Janishill, what is a "control holder" if I don't sound too dumb to ask?

Many Thanks to you all for your thoughtful input....
Frank B.
0 Likes   October 12, 2012 at 8:03PM
janishill
The flowers on the coffee table really need to go. If you must have something artifical try a topiary....or better yet try a red latern, a short stack of books, and a candle. Or a tray filled with a couple of candle sticks, a decorative item and a live plant. I found this list when I did a quick search:

1.Natural elements to add color and bring the outdoors in (especially you, city dwellers)
2.Candlelight to add ambiance and possibly fresh scent to the room
3.Books to entertain visitors
4.Decorative accents to spark conversation among guests and add interest
5.Tray to organize the previously stated items

Brain cramps made me do it! I failed to say 'remote' control holder. I have changed it now. :-)

The speakers might just blend in when the mirror is hung in the landscape position. It could make them become somewhat less visible..which is a good thing.

Can hardly wait to see what you do next!
1 Like   October 12, 2012 at 8:53PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Hi Janishill, Yes, I see that an artificial thing in the center is maybe not a good idea. You're right. Here's another picture update. You'll see my frog in a lotus position (conversation piece) with a small photo album for viewing.

I myself like more free space on a coffee table, at least in this room - just my preference. I think it can get overdone very quickly.

The mirror was a home run on the landscape idea. That streamlined the room even more. And you're suggestion about the clock was right on target.

Thanks for all your help and advice...
Frank B.,
21 Likes   October 12, 2012 at 9:33PM
janishill
Frank B. you are getting there! It looks so much better already.

The album doesn't quiet work on the coffee table. Try it on the end table by the brown chair. And turn the frog so people on the sofa see his face. :-)

I am not crazy about the pillow you put on the brown chair. It is too dark. I like the idea of the blue floral on the brown chair. I like the mirror you have put in the foyer much, much better than the picture you had there before.

I am excited for you. I imagine it 'feels' much better for you.
4 Likes   October 13, 2012 at 6:45AM
apennameandthata
can you move your rug so that it is under the 3 seater? That way, it would be under all three of the chairs, and the coffee tablet would be closer the the center of the rug. At the moment, it has a nice eclectic look, but it looks like all your couches have slid off the rug towards the wall. (Yes, I know the couch is against the wall, so it could not have slid)

Too, move the big couch 4" off the wall, and mover the two single seaters 1' to the right and angle them towards the 3 seater.

I can't see the other side of the room, so it is possible all my comments about balance are off. Oh, I see, the rear surround sound speakers...

Next step: put the CD, DVD and video cases out of sight.

Colours: Most of the room is in the yellow/orange bit of the spectrum. To know what is happening with your colour scheme, I need to know if the two single seaters are green or black or something else. If they are green, then you have got a quarternary scheme and might benefit from some more magenta to balance the green. If they are black, then you might need some more blue.
1 Like   October 13, 2012 at 7:12AM
apennameandthata
I actually preferred the spotted couch in the first photos. But then I can't see the colour of the dark chairs!. Too, why did you get rid of the dog? I suggest you put the dog back.
5 Likes   October 13, 2012 at 7:13AM
apennameandthata
If you put the spotted chair back, you could put a cover on the 3 seater so you have each chair having more colour. Having a grey on top of a quarternary scheme might be a big ask.
0 Likes   October 13, 2012 at 7:14AM
lisalovesquilts
Looking good here Frank, I'm glad the mirror is back over the sofa. The mirror in the hall is a nice addition, it makes it a little more streamlined and matches the console table very nicely. Still a very welcoming and comfortable looking room. I think janishill is giving some very good advice.
3 Likes   October 13, 2012 at 4:38PM
PRO
the essentials inside
The room is looking great and you are getting fantastic feedback/advice! Mirror in landscape works very well as does the mirror in the foyer. I agree with apennameandthata about the movement of the furniture/rug (if there is space) & definitely agree you should put the dog back. ;)

I really love the rug but am wondering if you have one in another room that you could switch w/and see how it works? Or maybe, like suggested, you cover the 3 seater couch or even considering changing the curtains?

Also agree about concealing the cds/dvds if that is practical for you.
Maybe a cabinet with doors in place of the open cabinet/bookshelf?

lisalovesquilts is right - a very welcoming and comfortable room. Thanks for sharing it.

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
2 Likes   October 13, 2012 at 5:13PM
janishill
Hi Frank B.! In my rush earlier today I didn't say a word about the clock. It looks so good over that shelf!

The only thing I would add to the coffee table is a couple of coffee table books to sit the frog on top of. Somehow sitting atop books will make him look more important and make the table more interesting at the same time. The books need to be the same shape and close in size. (see photos)

I wonder if you could buy an orange pillow to mix with the others. That blue floral on the brown chair and an orange one on the sofa would look great.

Glad to see you took the flowers out of the oriental vase. I wonder how it would look on the bottom shelf of the foyer table?

Waiting for your next update! :-)
3 Likes   October 13, 2012 at 6:59PM
lisalovesquilts
Janishill is right again! The oriental vase would look good on the console table, is that a similar or matching patterned bowl on the bottom shelf already? I can't see it so well. If so it might look good on the top shelf but I like what I see there already so..Maybe Janishill can think on that for me!
0 Likes   October 14, 2012 at 4:22AM
janishill
lisalovesquilts...you are too funny!

What I would like to see is the foyer shelf. I think the bowl from the bottom shelf would look good on a stand at the end of the shelf (closest to the door) I have a sneaking suspition thete is a lamp on th eother end that needs to be balanced.

I would also like to see the living from standing in th efoyer looking into the room...and I would like to see the side where the TV is. Frank B. come on and show us the rest of your room! [big smile]
1 Like   October 14, 2012 at 6:55AM
Christine
Frank, What a cozy and inviting space. Great job.
1 Like   October 14, 2012 at 7:25AM
Lucy Erbn
I am missing the colorful landscape. Where did it go?
0 Likes   October 14, 2012 at 7:38AM
PRO
Joni Koenig Interiors
What is working is the carpet, patterned chair, and coffee table. What isn't working is the wall color (try a soft white), sofa color (keep it light), drapery (the blue is too dark and the style is dated), and pillows . Turn the mirror horizontal.
0 Likes   October 14, 2012 at 7:44AM
karenb683
The walls have too much colour. They are competing with the bright accent pieces. Match new curtains to wall colour. The offset window should blend more. I'm very impressed with the changes you have made.
1 Like   October 14, 2012 at 8:29AM
lisalovesquilts
Whatever you do make sure the room still says "Frank". Your home your personality. Joni Koenig interiors the mirror is horizontal. Remember folks when you're talking about colour this is Mr. Bright's house!
5 Likes   October 14, 2012 at 9:05AM
PRO
the essentials inside
Agree 100% with lisalovesquilts - your home Frank, your personality. Redecorating is always fun and things can be changed a bzillion ways. Your room started off great and may be different after this but still great. Thanks for sharing your room!

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
3 Likes   October 14, 2012 at 9:50AM
janishill
Sometimes I wish there was an 'DISLIKE' button!

Lisalovesquilts///thank you for your wise comments.
2 Likes   October 14, 2012 at 10:03AM
lisalovesquilts
Maybe a 'disagree' button to keep it friendly?
0 Likes   October 14, 2012 at 10:39AM
janishill
Agreed.
2 Likes   October 14, 2012 at 10:47AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Sorry that I can't please everybody. I'd need a construction team to do it too !! Anyway, that's all in fun there. I'll see if I can't do one (2) more photos, to include the other side as well
3 Likes   October 14, 2012 at 11:26AM
janishill
Frank, it's your house and YOu are the only one that it has to please. If I can help you twik it in little ways then I am more than happy to. The biggest pleasure I get is knowing someone feels a little more comfortable in their own home.
2 Likes   October 14, 2012 at 11:34AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Thanks Janishill. You all have helped a lot for sure. OK -- here are 3 photos to cover most everything. I think I'm close to where I want to be thanks to you all.
4 Likes   October 15, 2012 at 3:03AM
PRO
Mogulinterior
This is awesome idea..
1 Like   October 15, 2012 at 4:24AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Hi Mogulinterior, I'm curious...what's the awesome idea?
1 Like   October 15, 2012 at 5:15AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Hey you all, I just posted my dining room, so check it out if you're interested....
0 Likes   October 15, 2012 at 5:16AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Here's a brighter view of the foyer...it was too dark to tell much.
1 Like   October 15, 2012 at 5:19AM
janishill
Hi Frank! I have to go to work this morning, but will post some ideas when I return home, but off the top of my head: move photographs from mantle (and anywhere else they may be) to entertainment console, move oriental painting from behind chair to foyer. Use it to replace the mirror. But hold on to the mirror; we are going to use it somewhere else! Move the two lamps from console to foyer . Now you have most of your oriental objects in one area and they make a statement.

Turn frog (on coffee table) so it faces the sofa. People sitting there should be able to see his face, not his back. :-)

Wish you lived close to me. I would run over, help you rearrange some things and we would have a fun day! LOL
3 Likes   October 15, 2012 at 5:42AM
apennameandthata
I'm glad you moved the rug under the sofa, and hid the dvds. I think that it is nice that you let the frog watch TV with you. It is placed to welcome you when you go to sit down.

I am confused about the sofa and I wonder what other people think. If you have a quaternary scheme, with the yellow walls contrasted with the blue curtain, then the sofa could provide you with more blue. The green recliners are set off with the magenta in the carpet. Looked at another way, yellow and green and brown are analogous and magenta and blue provide a bit of zing: you do not need a blue sofa. To me, the sofa looks grey. What others recon?
0 Likes   October 15, 2012 at 5:55AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Janishill, Oh wow, You're idea on the foyer was amazing !!!! So I had to take a picture to show it to you. Many, many Thanks on that. Putting the mirror there in the foyer was an inspiration I had that I was very proud of and I didn't want to move it at first, but now I'm very glad I did. Thanks !

Apennameandthata, the blue sofa is a source of PAIN for me. I had it when I bought the house 2 years ago. It has never fit in the room and I tried doing a huge blue/white musician's art as well as a blue/white modern art piece behind it on the wall and neither worked. They merely accentuated the very blue in the sofa that was causing me grief.

I'm glad you mentioned it because, I thought I'd ask you all on here 2 things about the sofa: Would buying a slip-cover of a different color work? If so, what color would you all recommend? And, IF I were to buy a new sofa, what color/style would you go for?

Many Thanks for bringing that up Apennameandthata. Let me know if you have any suggestions given what I've asked about.
Thanks, Frank B.
6 Likes   October 15, 2012 at 6:28AM
apennameandthata
Well, you've got a lot of visual mass on the side with the TV, and a lot of brown. If you chose a light sofa colour, then the room might get unbalanced. I'd buy a few meters of the cheapest dark brown fabric and cover the sofa with it to see if it works. If the sofa is dark brown, it will balance up the mass and balance up the brown. I'm guessing that's when the curtain will change from blue to green!
0 Likes   October 15, 2012 at 6:37AM
janishill
So glad I popped back to my PC for a moment. WOW! That looks better than I had imagined. I like the white flower there as well.

So now lets go to the next thing. IF I were going to purchase a new sofa I would go with the Pottery Barn Comfort Sofa. I just bought this one a few months ago and love, love, love it. You can purchase many different sofa covers. You could go with brown, natural, red, etc. Many choices.

Oh...and I really like the way the throw pillows are now. I miss the bright green one though. Can it go in your recliner? :-)

I'll be back!
0 Likes   October 15, 2012 at 6:37AM
apennameandthata
I'd use a slip-cover. No way I'd buy a new couch.
2 Likes   October 15, 2012 at 6:38AM
lisalovesquilts
Hi Frank, am I missing something because I can't find the dining room picture? The hall looks smashing. I liked the mirror but the picture and the console arrangement is lovely. I think the green wall is warm and soothing behind the dark wood and complements the blue and white pieces. Mogulinterior said "awesome idea" do we know what that was about? I liked what janishill said about popping in to help rearrange etc. Could you imagine a houseful of Houzzers on hand helping! That would be awesome! Don't throw anything out because someone will know where to put it.
2 Likes   October 15, 2012 at 9:03AM
PRO
the essentials inside
Frank, You've got a great team of Houzzers here! I think lisalovequilt's idea has the makings of a great tv show. :) ~Lyvonne, www.essentialsinside.com
3 Likes   October 15, 2012 at 10:24AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Thanks all of you - Lisa, I had started another thread for the dining room. I wasn't sure if that was how the forums here work. But I'll post the pictures here too if that's ok. If it's not, please let me know and I'll Remove them.
2 Likes   October 15, 2012 at 12:39PM
lisalovesquilts
Hi Frank I found your other thread and will go there thanks.
0 Likes   October 15, 2012 at 2:29PM
PRO
the essentials inside
No living room updates? All the happenings are in the dining room now? Will have to hop over there. :)

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
0 Likes   October 16, 2012 at 6:41PM
lisalovesquilts
Hi Lyvonne I think we have moved to the dining room now. Perhaps we'll revisit the living room at a later date. What're we calling the show? Kidding of course but I'd have to watch from afar sadly.
0 Likes   October 17, 2012 at 4:22AM
PRO
the essentials inside
Hi Lisa! Yes, I jumped over to the dining room thread. Good fun there too. Have to think of show name and learn how to pitch to hgtv. Watching from afar could = producer credit. ;) See you in the dining room!

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
2 Likes   October 17, 2012 at 6:28AM
janishill
Lisa, ~I think we would all have to watch from afar. :-(

Lyvonne~ some ideas:

Oodles of Design

Abode Amateurs

Slew of Designs

Have you two checked out the bedroom? And I agree we shoul return to the living room soon. :-)
1 Like   October 17, 2012 at 6:59AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Here's a picture update here you all....
3 Likes   October 17, 2012 at 7:30AM
janishill
That picture is fantastic and would look great over the fireplace. I liked the mirror over the sofa and I couldn't help but notice you have moved the lamp from the foyer table.

Bottom line is go with what makes you happy. :-)
1 Like   October 17, 2012 at 7:49AM
lisalovesquilts
Thanks Frank, you're a peach! What colour is the sofa? It looked to be turquoise to me in the photo from 2 days ago. I'm looking for the bedroom now. See you all there!
0 Likes   October 17, 2012 at 7:53AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Hi Janis, the 2 small, blue delft lamps are still there in the foyer; there's so much light emitted you can't see the lamp and one half of the foyer table is cut off in the photo. Don't worry - I am NOT touching that area after your brilliant help.

But let me share a few thoughts. I really liked the mirror, don't get me wrong. But, I am a musician and an artist and in that room (it's where I relax and watch TV etc) there was almost No art - the wall is solid, the mirror was solid, all the furniture is solid, the media table below the TV is solid, and there's a clock. There IS art over the fireplace and beside it, but they are behind the recliner and I don't see them when I sit there. The only art I could see was if I looked towards the foyer. And that's a little ways from sitting where I am.

Janis, the picture cannot go over the fireplace because it's way too tall for that area. That area above the fireplace is pretty tight.

Lisa, the couch is what I call a "London blue". And I finally realized today that that blue **just might **work with the wall color in a Southwestern/Mexican color scheme. Usually, that color scheme is like a deep, rich navy blue with a bright red and yellow colors. But I think this couch is close enough.

So this influenced me to rethink the pillows. If you think it's too busy you might be right. But remember above when I mentioned how many solids there are in that room. AND, I added fresh-cut flowers....Thanks for Looking in !!
2 Likes   October 17, 2012 at 11:10AM
PRO
Frank Bright
It looks like everyone's moved on to other threads. Thanks to you all for your comments and advice.
1 Like   October 17, 2012 at 5:19PM
janishill
OK..Frank...here goes. I like the 'before' on the pillows. The mirror was much better suited to the space and provided a little place for the eyes to rest.

The furniture may be solid, but the colorful rug and pillows provide enough stimulation.

Oh..and one other thing ~ keep the number of items odd. Like on the coffee table 3 or 5. Never 4. Odd numbers of anything are more pleasing to the eye unless everything is symetrical.

Frank...are you in the Boston area, by chance? If you are I will just come over and help you! :-)

Really, it is your house and you should do whatever you like regardless of what others think. :-)
2 Likes   October 17, 2012 at 8:03PM
nicounderground
I liked the living room and the foyer before you took the mirrors away before the last changes ... but it still looks very nice :)
0 Likes   October 17, 2012 at 8:39PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Ok, yes....I have to admit you all are right about the mirror. I tried it again and it does streamline the room, no doubt. But I think in this process, I did get a better pillow configuration..... See what you think.
9 Likes   October 18, 2012 at 3:04AM
PRO
Frank Bright
I think this room's done or I've over-done it to death !! The only other thing I'd consider short-term is changing the curtains to an ivory colored solid. Would that work?
4 Likes   October 18, 2012 at 5:36AM
janishill
Yes, the pillows look just right and yes, solid ivory would look great.

Tyr removing one of those leaves from the coffee table and adding a short fat candle on top of the books. Bring back the fresh flowers or a nice green plant. Every room needs at least one living item in it.

The red lumbar pillow would look good in your recliner.

Your room looks ever so much better than it did. Time to relax and enjoy!
3 Likes   October 18, 2012 at 7:05AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Thanks Janis! You've been a wonderful help. I appreciate your feedback on the coffee table. And yes, it's time to break and enjoy the room !!
2 Likes   October 18, 2012 at 7:42AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Here's a final Photo -- this from a slightly more over arching angle....(The silver leaf on the coffee table should probably go diagonal on the opposite side etc)
13 Likes   October 18, 2012 at 7:58AM
PRO
the essentials inside
Looks beautiful! Very comfy cozy. I can picture friends hanging out, maybe not wanting to leave. ;)

On to the other rooms!

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
1 Like   October 18, 2012 at 8:13AM
janishill
It looks great. The silver leaf is fine, just move the flowers more toward the side away from the sofa and center them so the 3 itmes form a triangle.

Now leave the room alone! :-)
0 Likes   October 18, 2012 at 8:16AM
PRO
Frank Bright
After all that work, I'm hungry.... Let's go to the kitchen !
(I'll do a separate post)
3 Likes   October 19, 2012 at 4:49AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Hey ! I've posted the kitchen in the 'Before and After' section, as I did major renovations on it when I moved in.
1 Like   October 20, 2012 at 6:06AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Can anyone tell me for certain whether curtain tiebacks are in or out of style currently ?
0 Likes   October 21, 2012 at 11:04AM
janishill
They are gone with the wind, friend.
1 Like   October 21, 2012 at 12:06PM
feeny
Thank heavens.
1 Like   October 21, 2012 at 12:14PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Bummer :(
1 Like   October 23, 2012 at 8:42AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Here's an update with new ivory curtains. I got pinched pleats that slide over the rod. The saleswoman sold me clip rings also and she told me I could clip the small back straps that slide onto the rod but that looked pretty sloppy. The pleats were all out of line when I had the curtains pulled back and no amount of repositioning or re-clipping seemed to fix it.

So I did them the conventional way and slid them onto the rod directly.

This seemed to smooth over the sofa color issue - I had a hunch that it wasn't so much the sofa color that was bothering me as it was the teal curtain color and I think I was right.
5 Likes   October 23, 2012 at 8:58AM
michigammemom
Very nice cohesive look Frank. The lime green throw pillows and orange flowers tie in beautifully to the rug. Can you believe it is the same room pictured 8 weeks ago?
3 Likes   October 23, 2012 at 9:47AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Thanks Michigammemom, no I can't. It's astounding how little details add up and some not so little details as well.

I have to thank everyone on this thread again. Without them, none of this would've come together so well.

A major thing I've learned well from this is that fresh flowers are going to be on my grocery list from now on. Janis stressed having "something living" in every room etc.
5 Likes   October 23, 2012 at 11:28AM
michigammemom
Absolutely agree in the small indulgence of fresh flowers...especially when you can purchase them so inexpensively at Walmart or your local grocer.
2 Likes   October 23, 2012 at 12:17PM
janishill
I like it! It looks nice, cohesive, relaxing and homey. The drapes made a huge difference, as well as the pillows. It is a very comfortable room.
4 Likes   October 23, 2012 at 12:44PM
dcer
It looks sooooo much better now! Great Job!
3 Likes   October 23, 2012 at 1:03PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Thanks you all !! A huge thanks to everyone on this thread. I couldn't have done it without your help.

Janis, I agree...the drapes made a huge difference. I wish I had seen your color ideas that you posted about the drapes sooner - unfortunately, I was out buying these and didn't see it as soon as I would have liked.

One thing I did know: Having all these nice colors in the room, I didn't want to get any drapes that darkened the room like my old ones. So that's what attracted me to the ivory.

Relax time !
4 Likes   October 23, 2012 at 10:13PM
PRO
Tile-Stones
Looks lovely! I enjoyed seeing pictures of the process throughout. Looks like the white curtains did wonders!
1 Like   October 25, 2012 at 9:53AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Oh,.... one last thing....
3 Likes   October 27, 2012 at 10:52AM
janishill
Hhmmm...I prefer the square mirror because of the coffee table and the speakers.
BUT that is just my opinion.
4 Likes   October 27, 2012 at 11:28AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Thanks for your feedback Janis. I have had this unexplainable urge to get a round mirror for this room. I like this mirror but I may try out another round mirror as well, I haven't decided.

What is too detailed to see in a picture is that the coffee table does have streaks of copper color painted onto the silver all through it.

I do like the way this mirror has an ivory color base that goes with the curtains really well.
1 Like   October 28, 2012 at 1:15AM
janishill
It is that thing you do, Frank. When the room looks good you start changing it for some strange reason!!! :-)

I do think the round mirror would look good above the mantle. It would add some spark to that side of the room. That is the one area I was not satisfied with. I like the primative, but it really doesn't suite the room. It would probably look good in the hall or in a guest room, as it really doesn't work in the living room, kitchen, dining room, or studio.

I didn't want to say the round mirror would look good in the foyer, but it would look perfect. The other picture...well I'm not sure where it will work. Maybe in the hall as well...

OH..when you get an opportunity you really should sort your art by subject matter. then when it is hung it will make a statement rather than end up looking choppy and hap-hazard. (I hope you aren't offended)
0 Likes   October 28, 2012 at 5:27AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Not at all Janis. Here's a possible configuration... See what you think....
2 Likes   October 28, 2012 at 7:56AM
PRO
the essentials inside
Good morning all! Frank - if you post some photos w/your walls blank I can "photoshop" some different art & mirrors onto the walls for you (if you're not doing that already). Can you back up a bit when you take the living room pic to get a wider view?

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
1 Like   October 28, 2012 at 8:27AM
lisalovesquilts
The round mirror is lovely Frank. I like it with the kitchen table. Wow, the living room looks different again! I like it with the cream curtains, very airy and light. Fresh flowers are great aren't they? Can you do a hand-tie? It's such a nice simple way to present your flowers in a vase. I like where you are with colour. Welcoming and warm.
1 Like   October 28, 2012 at 8:29AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Thanks you all and Janis and Lisa and Lyvonne. Lyvonne, I did do a Photoshop test on mirrors with the Living room wall. I tested several other Pier 1 mirrors I had looked at. Photoshop can be a life saver.

Per Janis's idea, I did try the new round mirror over the fireplace - it was good but it wasn't quite the match I wanted - just an intuition there really. Thanks Lisa for your vote of confidence about the kitchen -- I am thinking that maybe the mirror has a "wow" factor in there which is what I hoped to get from this mirror anyways.

I think the square mirror really works great over the fireplace - that's a variation of Janis's idea. These shifts aren't irrevocable - I can always put the configuration back.
2 Likes   October 28, 2012 at 8:59AM
janishill
I don't care for the mirror above the fireplace as it isn't reflecting anything of interest. If it were propped instead of being hung and you had hurricanes with pillar candles it would look nicer. How about a short stack of books with the flowers (on the left side) sitting on top. They would need to be placed at an angle. On the other end put a set of books upright with the flowers behind them. You will have to raise the flowers up, but a piece of styrofoam works nicely for that (as long as it doesn't show)

The picture above the sofa is too small. A grouping of pictures with like themes would work better. I prefer the mirror there and pictures over the mantle, but either way will work. A grouping in one place and the mirror in the other...or a group of mirrors.

I like the mirror on the kitchen wall...but it needs to be centered on the wall just as the table is and the clock needs to go. One piece of art is suffient (as a general rule) unless you have a gallery style wall.

I can see something similar to the first picture over your mantel.

Notice that all the frames are black in the second photo. That is what makes the grouping work. In the third photo it is the white frames.

I could also see a grouping over your mantle similar to that in th e4th photo.
http://www.bhg.com/decorating/lessons/expert-advice/how-to-hang-a-group-of-pictures/

probably tmi. Sorry.
2 Likes   October 28, 2012 at 9:34AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Janis I wouldn't have tried this without your mentioning it...but the new mirror is amazing in the foyer!
So I may have to keep it that way. The irony of all this is that I really wanted a round mirror there in the foyer from the very beginning. AND, as the photo shows, the Buddha is centered in the mirror's reflection naturally.

The other good news is that besides that, everything else is back in place - even the main mirror, now back over the sofa.

I don't know how you ladies can so knowingly tell ahead of time how something is going to look - is it just experience or do you see it in your mind's eye? I have to move stuff around and actually see it..
With all the shifting I've done, some of my wall areas now look like a firing squad! (TMI there maybe).

Thanks again you all,
Frank B.
5 Likes   October 28, 2012 at 11:26AM
janishill
Frank...I don't know how others do it, but I actually visulize the object in the space. The round mirror needs to drop down about 4 inches. The lamp shades should cover a small part of the frame. That way they all read as one unit.

I would still like to see mirrors above the fireplace. The Budda does not look right with the landscape, but a selection od mirrors similar to those I posted earlier may just be the ticket. They would be square, round an doval, thus reflecting the spaces found throughout the room.

One day maybe I will get down your way and you'll let me come move Objects d' Art around to my hearts content. Of course I haven't been 'home' in over 3 years so it may be a while! :-)

Bullett riddled walls can be repaired. :-D
0 Likes   October 28, 2012 at 12:32PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Janis, you've got a good eye. I knew the mirror was too high after I hung it.

Btw, the landscape to which you referred is actually a painting of a church so subject-wise, they kind of make sense together (church + Buddha etc). :-) That doesn't mean they jive though, which is what you're saying I think.

If I wanted to try it, could I have the round mirror over the fireplace AND the other main mirror over the sofa simultaneously?
1 Like   October 28, 2012 at 1:36PM
janishill
YES! You can have as many mirrors in a room as you like. I would leave the two where they are and buy a third one.

And Christianity (church) and Budda don't work well together. :-)
3 Likes   October 28, 2012 at 2:19PM
trc59
I like the church behind chair better in place of budda. Budda seems to make that area to dark. All is looking good!
0 Likes   October 28, 2012 at 2:52PM
janishill
Frank...here's something to try...remove the Budda as it compete's with whatever is over the mantle. Use the other large silver leaf and prop it on top of the book case so the bottom is against the wall. A plate stand might work for this. If not use double sided tape on the back as well as a little tiny piece on top of the book case to keep it from sliding. I think it might just be enough to brighten the area, plus it is repetition of what is already there. Remember repetition is a good thing in decor. :-)
0 Likes   October 28, 2012 at 6:16PM
lisalovesquilts
I don't want to confuse things but while I liked the round mirror in the kitchen I also liked it in the foyer! I know that's no help at all, maybe two mirrors? Overkill? Just listen to Janis!
0 Likes   October 29, 2012 at 4:50AM
janishill
Lisa...I like it in the kitchen and the foyer as well as over the fireplace! What a great mirror.

I don't think 2 mirrors will be over kill IF Frank adds hurricanes to each end of the mantle.
OH...and hurricanes are super easy to make from dollar store or Walmart items. Larger hurricanes can be found at Walmart for a couple of dollars: http://www.decoradventures.com/2010/08/dollar-store-decor.html

I would like to see another (larger) rectangular mirror propped on the mantle with large hurricanes at each end, so they are just inside the edge of the mirror frame.
http://www.houzz.com/large-hurricane-candle-holder/ls=4

OR some large pillars like these: http://www.potterybarn.com/products/turned-wood-pillar-holders/?pkey=ccandleholders...but in white.
1 Like   October 29, 2012 at 6:12AM
janishill
Lisa...I like it in the kitchen and the foyer as well as over the fireplace! What a great mirror.

I don't think 2 mirrors will be over kill IF Frank adds hurricanes to each end of the mantle.
OH...and hurricanes are super easy to make from dollar store or Walmart items. Larger hurricanes can be found at Walmart for a couple of dollars: http://www.decoradventures.com/2010/08/dollar-store-decor.html

I would like to see another (larger) rectangular mirror propped on the mantle with large hurricanes at each end, so they are just inside the edge of the mirror frame.
http://www.houzz.com/large-hurricane-candle-holder/ls=4

OR some large pillars like these: http://www.potterybarn.com/products/turned-wood-pillar-holders/?pkey=ccandleholders...but in white.
0 Likes   October 29, 2012 at 6:12AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Thanks you all. And Janis, I AM going to get those hurricanes. I think they are very elegant looking.
I know I asked for all this by not sticking with a look, so bombs away if you all don't like this.

But I feel you all deserve a picture update of where I am....and hopefully I'm pausing here for a long, long while.

(To maybe save the trouble of your comments ahead of time: I know the right speaker distance is out of alignment etc. And the right piece in the gallery above the sofa looks too small to match the left one, but that is - trust me - mostly the perspective of the camera at work. They aren't a perfect size match, but the match does work from what I can see) .

Thanks and I hope to see you all in the next room.
1 Like   October 30, 2012 at 6:36AM
PRO
Frank Bright
I have never been satisfied with anything I've done above the sofa and it occurred to me that I was always trying to knock it out with one (1) large piece.

Then it hit me - the gallery idea that Janis talked about. So here they are in matching black frames. Even the left and right pieces match subject-wise - the left being one of Charlie Mingus the jazz bassist and on the right is an abstract of a pianist, which is very hard to tell from a camera photo.

zzThanks again.
1 Like   October 30, 2012 at 6:40AM
apennameandthata
Thats a good start...
1 Like   October 30, 2012 at 6:49AM
janishill
The two outside ones work together and the two inside ones, but they do not work all together as a whole. :-(
1 Like   October 30, 2012 at 6:50AM
Christa Somerville_Chase
Love the updates in the last pics you posted!!
1 Like   October 30, 2012 at 7:24AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Ok, Janis, I'll bite. Here are two alternate scenarios I've thought of and I figure I'd rather ask you upfront if these would be promising at all; ....I really need to save time here.

One scenario that I wanted to do (but didn't want to punch more holes to do it) was to put a SMALL round silver-framed mirror I just bought in the middle of all of them. That would split the two spanish pieces and put the mirror in between. But I wasn't sure about a single silver frame working in that scenario. I sort of put up a mockup setting of it but the frame color thing got me doubting.

Another scenario - again using the small silver-framed round mirror - was to have that and flank it with two medium-small silver-framed black & white ship photos. But all that silver seemed a bit cold, and I wasn't sure about the ship motif fitting in the room.

I don't totally agree with your assessment that my setup clashes, but I do know you are experienced and probably trained in interior design, so I'm willing to try something else to solve the issue.

Thanks! Frank
0 Likes   October 30, 2012 at 8:14AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Thanks Christa !!
0 Likes   October 30, 2012 at 8:28AM
Iyare I
Great transformation!!! I kinda like the other pillows though... I miss them :) They were brighter and more lively. Either way, as long as you're happy with the end results, then thats all that matters.
0 Likes   October 30, 2012 at 8:45AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Here's another scenario - I think this works and it is much more streamlined and simple which I like.
Also, I get to have a round mirror there.....
0 Likes   October 30, 2012 at 9:45AM
PRO
Rayco Painting
Looks like a fun place to hang out. An accent wall where the fireplace is would add a lot to the room.
1 Like   October 30, 2012 at 10:06AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Thanks Rayco. Do you mean maybe a darker paint color on that one wall? Or wallpaper maybe?
0 Likes   October 30, 2012 at 10:15AM
PRO
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
Frank it is nice to meet you via this post as your personality has shown through - what a marvelous venue for houzzers and their creative energy! Although lengthy (came on board this am - have read your living room journey in its entirety!) this discussion has been a hoot! Your room looks great and its fun to watch you make numerous changes as you head for your desired look! You are a champ!
1 Like   October 30, 2012 at 10:20AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Thanks PRL ! I'm just trying to learn. The folks here have been wonderful.
0 Likes   October 30, 2012 at 10:25AM
janishill
Frank, Frank, Frank...looks like you are in demand. ;-) Nothing wrong with a mail order bride. I was one ~ kinda...but that is a different story. :-)

Thank you for the kind compliment, but I am hardly trained as an interior decorator. My husband has often said he did not understand why when I have a passion for it.

I hope you aren't offended when I say what I think and I hope I do not come across as bossy or rude.

I love the round mirror. Would like to have one like it myself. And I love the ship pictures...(and you already knew this was coming) there isn't enough on the wall to balance them with the speakers there. And one more issue...you have SO much going on in the room that it is difficult to focus. The reason the foyer worked (works) is because everything reflects everything else. The shape of the mirror reflects the shape of the lamps(round) the lamps reflect the colors and the shape of the large vase. Everything flows.

So back to the living room...you have swirls in the carpet and swirls in the paisley pillow and the rounded arms of the sofa...and the round mirror reflects the swirls...and that is good. But then you have the rectangular speakers, the rectangular shape of the sofa, the rectangular shape of the rug and the square shape of the coffee table and throw pillows. And they all work together very well. The problem is the painting/pictures and other accessories.They all conflict with each other and it becomes overwhelming. Your eye can't rest on one thing because something else is competing for your attention; kinda like a room full of 2 year olds! But it is easily corrected. We just have to go one step at a time. That is the fun part though; making changes until you are completely satisfied. Then it is time to start again! :-)

So let's start from the top. A room should have a color scheme. This will insure color balance which is the most important element in achieving the desired effect. It basically comes down to how your eye perceives the space around you. It comes down to color, scale and proportion. As a rule 3 colors will make a room feel comfortable. You have gold as your base color (walls), blue as a secondary color (sofa, blue from rug, blue in oriental accents) and green as the accent color (chair, throw pillows).

Now everything else should flow around those 3 colors and the existing shapes.

Here's one way to get that wall right: remove everything from the walls and slowly bring items back in that have a couple of things in common: frames and/or mats being essential , colors, style, theme, and scale. Scale doesn't have to be size, but visual weight. (the mirror visually weighs more than the pictures)

Persoanlly I liked the Charlie Mingus and the abstract pianist. I would like to see more along those lines; maybe black and whites so they don't compete. Those two pictures pick up the other colors in the room in just the right doses.

So back to hanging your art...before you hang anything else lay butcher paper or grocery bags out on the floor then arrange the pictures/paintings out on top of the paper in the pattern you think will work. This allows you to move them around without making more holes in the wall. When you have them exactly how you want them trace around them. Then use paper tape to number each piece. As you remove the art work write the number on the corresponding trace. For instance, #1 on the paper tape on the art work and #1 on the tracing paper. Next cut out the shapes, being careful to lay it back where it was. Then it is a simple matter of taping them to the corresponding area on the wall. If they work you can go ahead and hang the picture hanger. If they don't move them around until you are satisfied.

As for the grouping you have now....you need to add 3 more pieces. Something really small under the mirror and two items similar in size and shape below the ships.

I know you must be tiring of this. I am enjoying it though. :-) Thank you for your patience with me.

0 Likes   October 30, 2012 at 3:30PM
Christelle
woua i love the change it's beautiful:)
0 Likes   October 30, 2012 at 4:35PM
janishill
Just found this in my in-box. Couldn't help but think of you, Frank. :-) this explaines it much clearer than i possibly could: http://www.bhg.com/decorating/home-accessories/wall-art/how-to-arrange-art/?sssdmh=dm17.626237&esrc=nwdc102412t
0 Likes   October 30, 2012 at 7:08PM
Aja Mazin
I want to send you a case of spackling!
3 Likes   October 30, 2012 at 7:13PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Here's a new configuration - this is based on Janis's correct assessment of green as my accent color. The middle painting has spot-on correlations in colors with the pillows.

The only problem I can foresee is that the gold frames somewhat conflict with the silver speakers, however, given that gold is a base color for the room, I think that the accent colors from the paintings are grounded by having the base color in the frames.

Also, the two smaller flower paintings have kind of gold/silver-brushed frames that sometimes change color depending upon your angle and light etc.
See what you think.... Thanks!
3 Likes   October 31, 2012 at 2:48AM
PRO
Frank Bright
I am also wondering if two sconces might work instead of the two flower paintings??
0 Likes   October 31, 2012 at 2:53AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Like this maybe....
0 Likes   October 31, 2012 at 3:12AM
deb jo
Hello Frank, first of all awesoome job on all of your tries, and particularly those sconces look great, one quick question though, do you mind telling me from where you got your rug? its fabulous :)
0 Likes   October 31, 2012 at 3:52AM
michigammemom
Wow, Frank! Your home is a treasure trove of decorative items. The last two attempts at artwork and the sconces don't work for me because they accentuate the vertical orientation of your speakers. I preferred either the larger round mirror or the single landscape.
0 Likes   October 31, 2012 at 4:44AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Hi Debora, I got that rug from Thomasville Furniture. A great store for sure - check them out.

Michigammemom, I appreciate your feedback. It seems like all the items that have the colors I want are in portrait format !!

I thought the sconces might lend a helpful contrast to the "tech" energy of the speakers. I do get the vertical point you're making and you may be right.

There is an effect, however, of the large flatscreen in landscape mode facing that wall. So I'm not totally sure that going in portrait mode is all that bad, as it serves to contrast the TV. Then again, maybe they would do better to match in lanscape mode.

Oh well, I am very drained so I'm not sure what else I'll do today if anything, I need to break and feel things out. It may be that I just need to go shopping for that particular space. But wait....I have too much art already !!
1 Like   October 31, 2012 at 5:53AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Here's my last effort for today hopefully... This is my only other art in landscape format...

I like this and I think there are some good complimentary colors. But be aware that there is a heavy impressionistic style and a lot of white in the painting, so the colors to be seen are subtle even when you're standing right in front of the piece. So I'm not sure how much color you'll be able to get from the photo.

Thanks....
1 Like   October 31, 2012 at 6:36AM
michigammemom
I prefer the landscape shown in the photo posted three days ago. The mat related to your sofa color and the green related to your chartreuse throw pillows. Let's see what janishill says:)
0 Likes   October 31, 2012 at 6:49AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Michigamemom, Janis had said that that other landscape you're referring to was not wide enough for that space and she was maybe right, ...or maybe not, it's hard to say.

There was a a perspective distortion because of the angle of the photo - the right speaker is just out of the shot - making it appear as if there's lots of empty space to the right when there wasn't.

I tried that landscape with the sconces (to fill out the extra space) and it looked great except that the close proximity of the sconces to the speakers then made it all seem like too much and too cramped in.

This painting gives a nice peaceful aura to the room - and I was just looking at the colors - they're amazing...dots of green, light orange and red and blue are all through the painting. But it's subtle enough so it's hard to see it in a photo.
0 Likes   October 31, 2012 at 7:28AM
lccason
This has been a great thread. Frank, you have many lovely things and your willingness to experiment and work with feedback is impressive and has resulted in a space that looks much more pulled together and inviting - while retaining a creative touch. I like the size/shape of this picture - my eye comes to rest on it. Not sure how it is in the room but from what I can see in the picture it works well, fills that space nicely - and probably covers quite a few nail holes ;). Ok, off to check out your other rooms - keep decorating, Frank!
1 Like   October 31, 2012 at 7:31AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Thank you Iccason for your feedback. I appreciate it very much. And yes, it covers many holes which is not a bad thing for right now. :-)
0 Likes   October 31, 2012 at 8:08AM
crackers
I liked the original configuration, the four pictures . It said something about you and your interests. You can add more or keep it the same, but I found it interesting. The round mirror with pictures on each side look to me like little soldiers all lined up. All I can say is, you are a real sport! This must be like having 10 mothers, 20 sisters and being an only child!
How do I access your other threads? This is too funny!
1 Like   October 31, 2012 at 8:23AM
PRO
the essentials inside
10 mothers, 20 sisters...LOL. It kind of is. :) (+1 date).

As I think I said before, I love that you have so many pieces to play around with -- you might sit w/some for a couple of days to see how you feel w/them.

Did we get to the guest room yet? :)

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
0 Likes   October 31, 2012 at 8:44AM
crackers
Help! I have no idea how to follow a thread. Please tell me the steps from the main Houzz screen. Nothing seem to work. Thanks
0 Likes   October 31, 2012 at 8:45AM
michigammemom
Crackers, click on Frank's name in green and find the 5 discussions regarding the other rooms mentioned.
0 Likes   October 31, 2012 at 8:52AM
crackers
Where do I find Frank's name. I have no clue! Thank you michigamemom.
0 Likes   October 31, 2012 at 8:54AM
crackers
ok, I get it, if I'm already in the discussion, but how do I find it a week from now? I'm obviously not too swift with my computer knowledge!
0 Likes   October 31, 2012 at 8:57AM
mjd6750
Hello! Been following the discussion for a while through the many iterations. I agree with lccason's comments above. I, too, like to the size and shape and orientation of the picture. And it does make for a lot of calm and quiet in this room. I would switch out the curtain for one that cascades from ceiling to the floor, the ivory is fine but looks chopped off at the top, and jarring to my eye.
I loved the round mirror the foyer, stunning in the night lights. Day or night, it's great to have a final "look see" before stepping out on the town. Is that a closet to the right? If yes, stowing coats in there would "clean up" the foyer. I would keep the items underneath the table balanced, or maybe remove them altogether.

By the way, I really liked the buddha picture on the fireplace mantel. Keeping it there and the round mirror in the foyer rounds out both spots.
2 Likes   October 31, 2012 at 9:37AM
michigammemom
Crackers, at the beginning of this post or wherever the homeowner responds click on the green "Frank Bright". You will be connected to Frank's homepage and see "Discussions (5)" Click on that area and you will see the full list.
0 Likes   October 31, 2012 at 9:52AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Ok, I found what I was looking for. I had to dig through the attic.

I liked the one I just had but it struck me about the differences in styles - impressionistic (painting) vs modern (rug and furniture).

So here's what I've been trying to find - I think this blends and coordinates with the whole room. There's also a fluid, geometrical style to the painting which is similar to the rug pattern. I did have to change the pillows to match....
6 Likes   October 31, 2012 at 10:02AM
michigammemom
That's a winner for me...the curving lines do indeed echo the rug. Now relax, enjoy your vibrant new room and take a break before spackling your poor walls:)
3 Likes   October 31, 2012 at 10:12AM
janishill
Yes, Yes, Yes! That made me think of Meg Ryan in 'When Harry Met Sally! LOL

Frank, this is it. The perfect piece. Now I would like to see the rectangular mirror over the fireplace with the scones (I like those a lot, btw) on either side.

Then I would like to see the little abstract over the small book shelf where the clock is and the Charlie Mingus where the Budda is (right behind your chair and to the right of the mirror.)

Remove the center pillow, turn the two red ones on end and snuggle them up to the white pilows. Put the green paisley in the recliner.

I like the candle on top of the stack of books on the cooffee table btw.

I seriously think with these minor changes your room will be complete. It is time to relax before we tackle another one! ;-) Speaking of..what happened with the dining room? Did we just go back to the living room? And what about the kitchen wall? Maybe you can do the paper cutouts to come up with the perfect gallery wall for that spot.

Thanks for being such a good sport. I have had grand fun decorating vicariously.
2 Likes   October 31, 2012 at 11:22AM
sondramartina
Maybe keep only 2 colours for sofa pillows instead of three.
1 Like   October 31, 2012 at 11:36AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Hey you all...I'm in the dining room - the thread is titled 'General Feedback on the Dining Room'
Thanks again to you ALL for this thread !!
1 Like   November 1, 2012 at 7:17AM
swewer
You are trying hard Frank. You have some beautiful pieces to work with. Regarding your living room- I think your biggest problem is trying to incorporate and decorate around that rug. I would lose the rug. It is rather modern and busy, and so many colors to match that you are having a hard time. It detracts from the beautiful fireplace. Your large ( HUGE ) TV competes with the fireplace. I would lose about 50% of your wall art. The buddha pic in the entry way, the round mirror, and even the silver mirror can all work. But keep it simple. I am not a minimalist. But there is value in non-clutter. Your book shelves could also use an edit. Overall, I think that crazy rug is messing you up. It would look better in a young girls bedroom with solid pink walls and green throw pillows on her bed. You may also want to consider coordinating slipcovers in a nice neutral for the sofa, to match the brown leather chairs. If there are different colored leather chairs ( one looks green ) then I would just slipcover ALL The chairs and sofa and go for a nice neutral rug with a bit of pattern. It may not even need to be as big as the one you have now. Sorry I am not very tactful.
1 Like   November 1, 2012 at 7:42AM
decoenthusiaste
Thanks janishill, but way too many posts to read through. I'm sure it is all worked out by now! Like looking at the updated pics though. You guys and gals have fun! BTW, those people with the funky blue and beige tiles might like this rug of Franks if they go for the Coney Island theme I suggested. It has all the colors of the park!
1 Like   November 1, 2012 at 4:38PM
lisalovesquilts
Frank, a job well done. The cushions really go well with the rug and curtains. A very cohesive look. I'm off to catch up on the dining room. Look at the difference between your first picture and this latest. Wow. I wish I'd been a bit more of a help but as my husband says I'm not very assertive and will say nothing rather than offend but I love to give credit where it's due and you deserve it for your willingness to try things and the Houzzers like Janishill, bobbip, Lyvonne and everyone else for their great ideas.
1 Like   November 2, 2012 at 3:42PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Many Thanks Lisa and to you all, Janis, Lyvonne, Bobbip, Swewer and everyone. It really did finally come together.

Eventually, I may get an off-white sofa or get a slip-cover as some of you recommended.

Thanks Again !!!!
4 Likes   November 3, 2012 at 5:12AM
Brittany Bard
I love seeing your updated posts of the original picture. You have tons of amazing pieces! I fell in love with the Peacock Curtains from Pier One and decided to design my entire bed room around them. Not such a great idea when I am an everyday rearrange addict .Now I"m stuck with Peacock curtains and a p/o'd husband. Keep up the posts . I love to see the updates.
1 Like   November 3, 2012 at 6:42AM
Nancy Hehmann
I liked the changes to the ivory drapes b/c they tie in the area rug and some of your throw pillows. I particularly liked the picture arrangement that had the house and the 2 small pieces of art with the green that shows in your green throw pillows and picks up the green from your rug. I think it makes for a more pleasing room when you repeat colors in your photos or other artwork in other accessories. It makes it look like there was some thought to the pattern. You have had a lot of suggestions! I think this is the longest thread I have ever seen.
1 Like   November 3, 2012 at 8:20AM
PRO
the essentials inside
Thanks for the shout-out Frank. Thank you for being so great to share your decorating journeys. It is really fun to see the progression. See you in the other rooms!

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
1 Like   November 3, 2012 at 7:50PM
Aja Mazin
Move.

Sell your furniture and change your name.
0 Likes   November 5, 2012 at 1:33PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Why Aja?
0 Likes   November 5, 2012 at 1:48PM
Aja Mazin
I spotted a convoy of women headed your way......
1 Like   November 5, 2012 at 2:01PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Oh, ....just one more thing....
8 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 8:12PM
Aja Mazin
Sweet.
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 8:35PM
lccason
Nice sofa, Frank :)
2 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 8:55PM
Aja Mazin
Where is the exit from the rabbit hole?
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 9:47PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Aja, that's all folks on this one.
2 Likes   November 8, 2012 at 4:21AM
PRO
Rayco Painting
Wow, love the paint choices
1 Like   November 8, 2012 at 8:20AM
sondramartina
I just can not believe how many extra pillows,paintings,mirrors and sofas Frank has. You name it he will get one ;). Good job Frank
3 Likes   November 8, 2012 at 12:14PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Here's a better view maybe...
2 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 2:45PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Oops I meant this one
4 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 2:46PM
janishill
You room has come a long way. It looks great and seems to reflect your personality.
2 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 2:51PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Many Thanks Janis. I was hoping you'd peek in and see the final result. Thanks again for all your help and guidance.

The difference with the new couch astounded me.
I was uncertain at first when I purchased it, but it really came together nicely with everything.
6 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 9:01PM
PRO
the essentials inside
Hi Frank! Love the couch. Did I already say that? Can't remember.

Are we moving on to the guest room? :)

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
1 Like   November 12, 2012 at 6:33PM
PRO
the essentials inside
Hi Frank and gang!! Just wanted to say Happy Thanksgiving to everyone (in the U.S.). Hope you all have a wonderful holiday.

Also - Frank - if you have any cute holiday pics of Previn that you'd like to share, I'm doing a special holiday pets feature at our 2nd store, www.letsbepets.com. You can post here or email me at contact@letsbepets.com. No worries if you don't have any, just thought I'd ask.

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
www.letsbepets.com
2 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 5:17PM
janishill
Frank? FRANK? FRAAAAANK? Where are you? We are ready to 'decorate' around your house again. :-) The Studio seems to be the room we are tinkering with. :-)
1 Like   November 29, 2012 at 6:45PM
Linda Anthony
WOW! The fun thing is you can move things around so you don't get bored! Many great combo's through the thread of pictures. IF you are keeping the last, cream colored settle/couch, I'm thinking the long gone chair in the FIRST pic would go great with it all. It would add additional interest to the room and I LOVE that chair an pillow! Too many comments to read the whole thread, BUT did anyone suggest you move your curtain rod to the ceiling to add more height? The drapes should just hug the floor. Happy you removed the BLUE drapes! LOL

In the entry, the tall blue vase on the bottom shelf looks too tall and when you look at it, straight on as in your pic,, all you see is six evenly placed items on the table. I would move the tall blue vase to the right and set it on the floor and then put a longer piece of pottery or arrangement or whatever, on the bottom shelf, off centered with a couple smaller items beside it - not evenly spaced, but grouped. You could use that tall vase for umbrella's! In fact, put a cute one in it for 'display'.
1 Like   November 30, 2012 at 4:09PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Hi Ya'll, I've taken a good long break - Nice to hear from you Janis. Remember that the Studio was 1/2 off-limits anyways because of the danger in posting photos of studio equipment. And I feel the other part of the studio is already locked in.

I'm in a place now where I am shedding things to get my space back in the rest of the house - that's why my guest rooms haven't yet appeared yet. I'm doing trips to Goodwill and to the trash can and to the attic. Back n Forth etc.

Here are some updates for this room. The main is the same. I am finding one thing holds true though:

THE WAY IT KEEPS TURNING, IT KEEPS AFFIRMING MY ORIGINAL INTENTIONS FOR MANY THINGS I PURCHASED FOR THIS ROOM.

For instance, the mirror FINALLY worked for what I bought it for when I changed the couch, then the coffee table (you haven't seen but I had in storage) finally worked then too. I bought that coffee table for that very spot 9 months ago. But it finally came around now.

Putting all the DVDs together (sorry but this is technically a media room) finally was a Duh moment for me.....

I appreciate all of your help everybody. I couldn't have done it without you !
Thanks. Frank
2 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 5:29AM
janishill
Frank, if you're happy then we are happy. It has been fun...a lot of work, but fun none the less.

Have you made changes to the art work in the kitchen?
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 5:33AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Yes Janis, here's what it looks like now....
2 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 5:57AM
janishill
Do I dare say the 2 chicken pictures need to be a little closer together? And the fake plant needs to go?

I can't tell if the top three pictures behind the table are all hung at the same height. It's that angle of the photo thing.

Oh...I failed to say I am glad you finally finished your living room. It looks like a comfortable place to hang out, enjoy company and or a movie.

:-D
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 6:31AM
mollythecollie
Frank I LOVE your living room!! It looks so inviting. I like your kitchen, also.
1 Like   December 3, 2012 at 7:17AM
alwaysdesigning
Looks nice; the drapery could be improved. Get a grommet kit and add large grommets and hang the drapery at the ceiling. You will be amazed how much this opens up the window and modernizes the look. Or get neutral grommet panels. Good luck
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 7:48AM
alwaysdesigning
Looks nice; the drapery could be improved. Get a grommet kit and add large grommets and hang the drapery at the ceiling. You will be amazed how much this opens up the window and modernizes the look. Or get neutral grommet panels. Good luck
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 7:48AM
Billie G
Frank, what happened with that glass table for the living room? In my opinion it looked much nicer than the new wooden one and it made the room look larger. I also think it was a better fit with the new sofa.
3 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 8:14AM
janishill
Billie G...you said what I thought. The other coffee table visually almost disappeared and worked better with the rug. The new coffee table is not the same style as the rug, sofa and comfy chairs.

Frank...I have to agree about the drapes. See attached illustration as to how to best hang them.
3 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 10:45AM
PRO
Frank Bright
I appreciate all the input. Yes the drapes could be improved - I agree with the higher hanging technique; I may get there or I may not - it's just not my A-1 priority now.

The glass coffee table thing -- yes, something was lost when I took it out. I agree and I thought about that right away.

And No One is wrong about it - I respect your suggestions. But I like the roundness of this table better and it really compliments the ivory colors in the sofa, mirror and drapes. I've already gotten several compliments on it. It's only been there one day !!
2 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 1:46PM
PRO
Frank Bright
I want to share a Feng Shui tip that is probably already common knowledge for you more experienced interior decorators.

The principle is that for a space where you want to promote relaxation and conversation, pointed corners (in tables and furniture etc) should be avoided and curves and rounded edges are better.

Round tables and round oriented furniture helps to promote ease of conversation and relaxation.
2 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 4:32AM
lisalovesquilts
Frank I totally envy your energy!
2 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 5:36AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Oh - and just one more thing....really !!
5 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 1:26PM
janishill
Absolutely perfect! It mimics the pattern in the rug beautifully.
4 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 1:41PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Thanks Janis ! I'm really glad you like it. I had had my eye on this table for a while and so it was my Christmas gift to myself. I finally accepted that I had to go for it - it was the last...but most important piece for the room.
8 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 2:09PM
Darzy
Yes! Perfect table.
2 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 2:12PM
PRO
the essentials inside
Hi Frank! Hi Janis, Darzy! Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.

Frank - love the table. You bought yourself a great present!

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
3 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 7:37PM
Tricia Meyers
Just found this site and read your entire transformation!! Your room looks great. Ya'll make a great team!! Inspiring
4 Likes   December 28, 2012 at 9:12PM
janishill
Tricia...if you go to the top click on Franks name then go to his page you can see all of the discussions. He has posted 5 rooms (I think) and we have chatted about each one! It was a lot of fun. Glad you enjoyed the discussion!
1 Like   December 29, 2012 at 7:00PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Introducing the coffee table changed some dynamics of course...Plus the pillows I was using for the sofa came included with the sofa. And as we all know those "included-match-set-pillows" can be disastrous.

There's a funny article about such pillows online that says "Run, do not walk to the nearest Goodwill store and give away your included match-set pillows!"

I had a gift certificate for Dillards and so I got pillows that I liked. Maybe this never-ending thread can end where it began: on the subject of pillows !
2 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 5:10AM
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
Major improvement! Perfect way to start the new year!
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 5:16AM
Aja Mazin
How about a new rug for a new year??
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 5:31AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Aja - Do you think a zebra pattern rug would fit? It's a bit smaller than the present rug but...

This present rug was actually the catalyst that started everything for this room.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 6:08AM
Aja Mazin
Aja - Do you think a zebra pattern rug would fit?

No.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 7:08AM
PRO
JMittman Designs
Could you perty please raise the curtain rod? I know its my passion, but the rod would look so much better than you think raised up higher...
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 7:38AM
Iyare I
Awww Frank, I like the pillows in the second to the last picture much better. That room is so perfect to me. I love it.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 9:57AM
Aja Mazin
Is there room for a bowling alley?
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 10:47AM
janishill
Frank, those are great pillows...but they would look better int eh studio room. :-D

Even with the new sofa I prefer the solid green, red and navy pillows.

And why did you remove Previn! ;-)
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 10:50AM
Aja Mazin
I have spared no time or expense to find the right pillows for your room!
3 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 10:56AM
swewer
I think there is such thing as over thinking this whole thing. I have never seen such activity and posts and opinions as i have seen on this one! Take a vacation...get out of the house once in a while. Go browse in some magazines and a furniture store and start from scratch. The worst thing you can do is obsess over something...which is what i see happening here! Its not healthy!
3 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 11:30AM
Aja Mazin
swewer,

I concur completely and have wanted to say it for months!
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 11:36AM
swewer
Sorry to be so blunt! I got some great pointers from Houzz a month or so ago. But I don't obsess with it! I do admire Franks energy at taking photos and uploading them so consistently . I have redone my dining room but cant manage to upload the photos yet. When push comes to shove, I avoid strong patterns, and let my accessories do the talking- not the rugs or paintings, etc. A neutral , TIMELess wall color and drapes hung properly will go a long way... Just add a FEW accessories and quality lamps and art and its all good. And DECLUTTER.
3 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 11:44AM
PRO
the essentials inside
Remember that Frank is just a homeowner who came to Houzz asking for advice and people here were kind enough to oblige. Please don't discourage homeowners from coming here by criticizing them. Without homeowners, professionals wouldn't come and advertisers wouldn't come and then there would be no Houzz.

For my two cents about this thread, I enjoy it. Frank seems to be a very nice guy and has attracted some wonderful people who I have enjoyed meeting and seeing in other threads.

For my four cents - I don't think Frank is obsessing - he's just updating as many of us have asked him to do.

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
20 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 11:57AM
mollythecollie
essentialsinside. I wish I could give several likes to your comments. :-) I have also enjoyed this thread. Frank does seem to be a very nice guy. He has done fantastic.
3 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 12:36PM
Robin Kuppusamy
Frank I love your living room! And, you've been such a good sport taking everyone's advice. And yet you have kept it your own in the process. I don't thnk he's obsessing. We all want our space to be perfect for our intentions. Sometimes intentions change or priorities change. I love being able to switch it up for seasons or big gatherings.

Seriously JEALOUS of all the pretty things you pull out of the attic, garage, closet, storage...wow!
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 12:36PM
Iyare I
If you're over the discussion, then you can definitely move on but to resort to the childish picture posting is completely unnecessary in my opinion. Its Frank's space. If he wants to obsess to perfection, let him. As long as he asks and people are answering, there is no harm and no foul. But seriously, the picture posting and snide comments dont make him look bad, they make you look bad! Jeez! How old are we???
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 2:02PM
Christelle
i love how this room involve and is right now good job
2 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 2:08PM
Aja Mazin
Iyare I,

If that were the case, I would agree.

the essentials inside
"So we have the name & the idea. Now just need our first unsuspecting victim - wait I mean willing homeowner we can help. :) "

Lyvonne

janishill
"Maybe we should start a Houzza thread so we will all know who the lucky recipient is! :-)"
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/223650

It is truly a concern a new Houzzer will stumble upon this nonsense and take it seriously.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 2:24PM
janishill
Iyare I...several of us have been helping Frank with this room for 3 months...and not only this room but 4 other rooms. During that time we have built a relationship, so to speak.

Teasing him should in no way not offend you. He is a good sport and has worked hard to make his house into a comfortable, lovely home.
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 2:28PM
feeny
When there are over 200 comments on a discussion thread that began with a question about pillows, I think it is safe to say you are going to encounter (in addition to sound advice about design) some humor, parody, silly suggestions, and houzzers generally getting punchy with each other. Frank has been a delightful participant in the fun throughout. Those who find this annoying may want to avoid threads with comments in the hundreds.
2 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 2:30PM
houssaon
Just took a few minutes to read through this thread. Wonderful.
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 2:31PM
lisalovesquilts
Hi Frank long time no see! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and all the happy posters we met along the way here. I just wanted to say that the picture above the fireplace (if it's still there) looked great with the rug. I love the overall lightness you have achieved. I get what you said about the rounder curved shapes and feng shui - I walk into corners constantly- I have bruised shins like a toddler! I will take time and catch up on the other threads.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 2:33PM
janishill
Aja...it may be a concern to you, but it doesn't seem to be to anyone else...
2 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 2:34PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Thanks you all for your comments....Aja the dice are lovely, LOL. ;)

There is a fine line between obsessing and getting it to be the best you can be. My general thought is - this room continues to improve. I have taken several time breaks too just in order to avoid the obsessive bug.

But this is my first house, so I think that accounts for my drive to be as close to perfect as possible.

Janis once again....you're right on. When I'm shopping, I'm very intuitive and gut level. But when I come home, my mind says "Oh it's definitely for this area!" But I can't tell you how often it turns out to be perfect for something different entirely and it's always surprising.

I'll post the studio and Living room images to see the pillow swapping....See what you all think. At this point, I'm just trying to get the colors to match up correctly ! Thanks again...
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 2:58PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Maybe this is better. I think I'm done guys and gals.
6 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 3:36PM
PRO
the essentials inside
Both look great Frank. Have a wonderful 2013! See you around the (Houzz) block!

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
3 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 4:18PM
janishill
Frank..you don't have to be finished. Most of us have had fun playing in your house. :-)

I purchase what I like as well and usually find it fits perfectly in one space or the other. Something you might want to try is placing new accessories in one room for a day or so then trying them in a different space.

The orange pillow is good on the living room sofa. The others not so good. Where are the solid green and solid blue pillows? They looked good way back up the page. :-)
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 4:32PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Hi Janis, enlighten me please, if you would. Seriously, let me know your reasoning, because I need to know what principles are at work in your opinion, which I do value very much.

I love the floral pillow - it has 4 of the rug colors perfectly matched: orange, green, cranberry red and white. It's back-dropped against the ivory sofa so the colors pop out.

The green pillow matches in with the floral pillow and the rug's green.

The green in the pillows flow into matching the pottery's green color on the coffee table.

Granted, there's always room for aesthetic differences, but I don't see the reasoning that they 'don't work'. Is it the that a flower pattern doesn't fit into modern contemporary decor?
2 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 5:22PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Maybe a texture issue?
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 5:28PM
La Priscille Design
I love the abstract of colours from the pillow and couch, it definitely brings continuity to the room.
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 5:39PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Thanks Priscilles.

I'm now thinking maybe what Janis has is mind is that the floral pillow is a sort of southern living/patio-country style which doesn't quite jive with modern contemporary.

So as Janis has always pushed me to do better, maybe this works better ??.....
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 5:55PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Or this one maybe....
2 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 6:02PM
janishill
Frank, you nailed it. I love florals (being that I am a Southern girl) but the style just doesn't seem to fit. A little too...too...you know, for the room.

I like the lime and the blue floral...BUT would like to see the floral placed at one end or the other. To me a pillow dead center seems more as a barrier than as an invitation.

Do you have a throw in that shade of blue? It would be perfect on the brown side chair.

Did I tell you that I love the pear? The colors would work beautifully in my LR. :-)
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 7:35PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Ok, I tried a different tac. I've been stuck on having a 'patterned' pillow somewhere, anywhere.

So I'm letting that go and I think this works well. Janis, the middle pillow is markedly smaller so I think it'll go ok.

With such bold colors in the rug, I can't help but want to accent that with the pillows, especially against an ivory colored sofa which is a perfect backdrop for bright, bold colors.
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 8:37PM
janishill
You misunderstood! I didn't say remove it. I like that blue/lime floral pillow! Just move it to one end. Put it in front of one of the green pillows on one end of the sofa. See picture below

Oh...and here is a great article about throw pillows: http://www.housebeautiful.com/decorating/home-makeovers/pillow-decorating-ideas-0211#slide-1
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 8:53PM
Darzy
Hi Frank, I love all your pillows! I must admit I have a collection of pillows myself. I like this pillow arrangement and actually miss your pink lumbar pillow from the mix. Try this arrangement with a combo with one floral, two solid and that lovely pink lumbar pillow I saw. : )

2 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 8:55PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Janis, yes, I already know that type of configuration - I did a similar one above on several versions with the big blue sofa. (See image again below)

I concluded though early on that this sofa is too small to stack 2 pillows in a corner. Even if they're small, it just doesn't look right. It may be the way the arms of this sofa are shaped - I can't say for sure.
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 9:21PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Ok, Janis, maybe I was wrong... This might work....The corner ivory pillows are smaller than others I would have used so maybe that's why it works better here.
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 9:31PM
PRO
Frank Bright
I think this might be what I'm looking for....
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 9:50PM
PRO
Frank Bright
I think I might go for this one. I know you like the floral Janis, but it is a larger pillow and using both small green ones helps to keep the feeling "snug".
3 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 9:59PM
jeslyn7
I think you have wonderful pieces, i especially love your new curved table, also you should just interchange your pillows whenever you want a new look, they all look good. Do it for fun and do what you like, You've done a great job!
2 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 10:22PM
lisalovesquilts
FranK I think all your cushion combos have been pretty good, so you can mix and match them around for a change. I particularly liked the second from the bottom, the colours all speak to the rug and the patterned one breaks the solid line of colour like the rug.
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 4:32AM
janishill
I like both of the last two configurations! I don't like the ivory pillows with the colored ones though.

Use one set-up and when you tire of it replace them with the other one.

Back to that mirror...;-)
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 5:30AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Thanks Janis,...I was already in sync with you on the mirror. I was trying out stuff before bed last night. Here's what I like.
3 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 7:37AM
janishill
I liked the jazz musicians best of all. Is that what you have above the fireplace now?

The one you have there now overwhelms the sofa. Something about the size of the rectangular mirror would work nicely...or the jazee musicians. :-)
1 Like   January 3, 2013 at 9:46AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Janis, the jazz musicians are still there. See the photos below.

The Noguchi coffee table helped me solidify a decision that everything in this room should be modern, with clean curves and-or clean lines. (or as close to everything as I can get) .

Does the art overwhelm the couch? Maybe, or maybe it makes a statement. Look at the perspective of the photo - I actually lowered the shot quite a bit in order to get the green of the rug in there. So the perspective makes the art look larger.
1 Like   January 3, 2013 at 11:48AM
janishill
Don't you have another jazz type piece? Or am I dreaming? :-)

I understand what you are saying and I can 'see' how that could be, but I am not wild about the colors in the painting either. The deep rich blue is not seen anywhere else in the room and i think that is what is throwing it off.

I would love to see a collection (grouping) of pictures hung right there.
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 1:34PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Actually there is. The floral pillow has darker, deeper blues but you can't see them too well from the angle.

Also there is the delft elephant - also hard to see from the angle - under the far right glass side table.

Also there is the delft floor vase - or umbrella stand as some use it - by the book shelf.

And the entry way has the small delft lamps - not technically in the same room per se, but not out of sight either.
1 Like   January 3, 2013 at 3:44PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Janis, I wonder of this hints at style-transference again. (I just say "hints") The dark blue - sapphire yellow combination is often found in tropical-mexican - sometimes southwestern styles. I think of pottery when I think of this combo of colors.

But unlike the "patio-southern living" floral pillow we were talking about before, this painting matches the style of everything else. It's clearly modern with smooth curves and lines. And just because the color combo is found more in another style shouldn't change whether the colors are compatible in general and for other styles.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I remember trying this painting with that awful blue sofa and I hated it. (Remember I changed it to my bedroom where I liked it much better.)

But I really do like it here now with the new sofa color etc. Anyone else have any thoughts or opinions?
2 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 4:02PM
janishill
Frank, you hit on it. You have the modern look which works beautifully with the jazz, but the ocean doesn't fit the 'theme' (for lack of a better word).

Keep trying. The right item will come along in due time.

I wish you would put all your art work together and take pictures so it will be easier to decide what goes where! (lol)

And while you are at it go ahead and take pictures of all the decorative items you have!!! (that could take weeks!)

:-D
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 4:09PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Janis, I know I won't change your mind, so I'll stop trying.

My mother had a great talent - she could put together a room - often they were eclectic in nature. But the colors worked together and everything was beautiful but the rooms never looked "designed".
2 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 6:40PM
Aja Mazin
Frank Bright,

And she used that great talent when she raised you!!!!
2 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 7:34PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Looks great!
2 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 7:38PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Wow, Aja, what a nice compliment.
1 Like   January 3, 2013 at 7:43PM
Tricia Elkinton
what a fun post to read!!! thanks everyone!!
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 7:51PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Am I a genius or what ??
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 9:54PM
PRO
Frank Bright
It may not look like it but the shelf and photos really fill up the room; the 3-D really pops out.

It is an opaque glass shelf I've had sitting by for a year and not knowing where to use it.

Btw, the person sitting on the short side can't be taller than 5' 9" !!
1 Like   January 3, 2013 at 9:55PM
PRO
Frank Bright
This photo shows the depth and feel of it better.
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 4:25AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Thanks Nina !
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 5:24AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Here I put the leaf in for an added touch.
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 5:40AM
PRO
Frank Bright
I think this might get it. But I can tend to overdo something. It's a fine line here maybe.
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 6:27AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Another tac on this... I've got to walk away for a while. Here is the obsession point so I need a break. I hope this is appealing to some of you.
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 6:44AM
janishill
Yes, it is time to give it a break. I like the leaf, but it needs to be turned sideways...on another day. :-)
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 7:15AM
Darzy
Hi Frank, I'm not feeling the 3D shelves at all. It's one of those arrangements that nearly everyone would say on a new post, "remove the shelves and put a nice size art piece". : ) Put back the jazz print of 8 weeks ago. That looked really good and speaks to you better, I think.
5 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 11:33AM
janishill
Darzy...that was what I said, but the jazz musicians are over the mantle and the other jazz picture is on the other side of the room. We need to find Frank a print at allposters.com. I haven't had time to look, but hope to soon. Maybe you know somewhere else to get a large print at a reasonable price...or maybe it doesn't have to be reasonable, just perfect! :-)
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 11:39AM
Darzy
I liked the gold framed church painting over the FP. Then put the jazz print back over the couch. Frank, I think you have enough art around the house to cluster over the wicker settee. Oh...please paint the cord covers for the speakers at the sofa your wall color. : )
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 12:01PM
Aja Mazin
Frank Bright,

It takes love to make a house your home .

Your mother knew this because the love in her heart was reflected in the beauty of the rooms
she put together and the pleasure and comfort it gave you and your family.
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 12:26PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Thanks you all for your comments. Here's with the leaf turned... I have to have this for a while - this feels very special to me.

I was truly disappointed when I saw the photo too. It just doesn't do justice to the 3-D experience of it.
But there are times gals when a photo cannot capture it and I think this is one of them.

And Aja, yes. this is about having 2 of my most precious photos on the curved shelf to display. As you all know I have a lot of art that, if I wanted to feed my ego, I could display.
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 1:40PM
janishill
That's better. Can you drop it (the leaf) down is is only a couple of inches above the shelf?

And Frank...if it makes you happy then it IS the right choice. Keep it there so you can see the pictures of those you love.

Now, let's take another break for a while. :-)
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 1:45PM
Darzy
Yes, definately. You are there, in person, and if you love it, it's perfect. I also like to be in a room that feels good, looks good, but doesn't look "designed". Enjoy your beautiful home. Congrats on your new Christmas present table. Looks fabulous.
2 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 1:50PM
PRO
Frank Bright
I also wanted to thank Janis for this - she helped push me beyond my norm. I did like the blue painting but this feels more in tune with the room and especially the new table.

I have to say you all - the Noguchi table is awesome. I'm very glad I spent the money and got the real thing.
3 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 1:56PM
Sue Ann Stevens
Wow--What a fun thread. I can't wait until I have the guts of Frank to tackle my rooms, detail by detail. Amazing transformation thanks to all you that helped.
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 2:08PM
swewer
Frank you are an amazingly gracious person. I can't imagine my own husband opening himself up like you did to a legion of bossy ! women all with different tastes and ideas ! Yet you have been patient and gracious and flexible throughout this whole xxxx months. I can see why you have endeared yourself so well to others. I especially applaud you for your brave use of colors when many of us are hesitant to go bolder than a handful of neutrals at a time. I am not accustomed to men being so accommodating, and for that, and your efforts, you get an A+. Have you ever tried painting? I think with your creativity you would be wonderful at it. I also like your fond memories of your mom's decorating. We can all only hope to be remembered so well by our sons in years to come! xox
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 2:37PM
janishill
I can hardly wait to go home for a visit. I'm gonna drop in on Frank and see all his hard work in person! ;-)
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 2:56PM
janishill
And Frank...it has been my pleasure. You are one in a million!
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 3:13PM
charleee
Frank, you should write a book! With 276 comments I'll bet it would be a best seller. Good job, Frank!
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 3:18PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Thanks you all ! Gee, I''ll take all those compliments. ;)

At least there's a short story in here somewhere. Here's what I came up with after putting in the time. Swewer gave me the idea of combining this with a painting.

Janis you have your jazz musicians back...one of them anyways. :)
2 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 6:51AM
Sara Parker
Frank, quit while you are ahead! I liked the modern art you found in the attic best. Obviously you are having a great time! You have a look for every season.
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 7:07AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Here's a picture of the room as a whole....
Yes, Sarah - NOW, I can take a break. Really.

I liked the modern art piece too. But my intention here has been to break away from a room that gets too close to a monochromatic color design. You get a nice affect - the room can feel very tight and unified. But it can also get very boring pretty fast, at least for me.

This particular wall color - when combined with vibrant colors - results in a very exciting effect for me. Maybe Swewer is right - I am really a painter at heart. I do presently draw portraits as a hobby anyways.
3 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 7:29AM
Darzy
That's it! The art piece there is just right. Way better than the leaf. Now this is your style!
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 12:47PM
janishill
Yea! That's it Frank. You did it!!!

Now...I want to go back to the coffee table. What happened to the gold frog? He really suited the room. I would like to see him sitting on a short stack of books again. The pear and apple will both compliment the kitchen. :-)
1 Like   January 5, 2013 at 12:47PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Ok, Gals, I finally just went shopping. Two trips to Pier 1 Imports did the trick.

Chasing my tail through the attic was getting old and yielding less results. I loved the shelf and jazz picture, really - but I felt I could do better.

The theme really crystalized in my thinking this morning and I realized I wanted to do a flower-based theme. Let me know what you think. Thanks as always for looking in.
1 Like   January 6, 2013 at 3:13PM
janishill
It looks fantastic! I love the mirror in the entrance. Love the blue bowl, but you need to remove the candle. Remeber odd numbers work best; 1, 3, 5 etc.

What's above the fireplace now?
1 Like   January 6, 2013 at 3:45PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Thanks Janis ! I was hoping you'd like it. I decided on flowers as my theme and wouldn't you know it, walking into Pier 1, there were LOTS of flower paintings on display to look at.

The round ivory-glass mirror is now above the fireplace. It has many star-like configurations that could be construed as flower petals. It lightens up the fireplace as well.

The Buddha is now in my bedroom with the oriental theme going.
1 Like   January 6, 2013 at 3:56PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Thanks for the 1-3-5 odd number tip. I tend to forget that.
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 3:57PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Here's the bookshelf between the entrance and the dining room.
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 5:05AM
janishill
Liek the pictures. They look great, but both frames should be the same color...so spray paint the top one black. :-)
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 7:05AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Interesting, Janis. My inclination is to do both white. I imagine either would work, but what you can't see from a photo here is that this area is one of the darkest in the room. It could use lightening up, so I'll go with white.
1 Like   January 7, 2013 at 9:04AM
Demogrl
WoW!!! This is amazing how everyone came together to form room after room with you Frank. So much fun seeing all the changes. To think all this started with throw pillows :0)
1 Like   January 7, 2013 at 10:25AM
janishill
Frank...black is going to look better. Trust me. Why not hang two white ones (I know you have them in your stash) and see how it looks. Then hang two black ones.

See...black works better. It's because of the color of thebookshelf. :-)

Here's how to brighten the area.

1) Bring the little lamp up 2" and over 2" so the light is reflected in the glass.
2) Clean off the shelves. Put books with bright colored spines on it (I know you have theseas well!
;-D )
3) Move the large vase to the right of the right window. Yep, in that little corner there. Or into your bedroom where you have the Oriental look.
4) Buy long baskets to go on the bottom shelf of the entrance table. Put all the CD's in them and get rid of the holder ont he right of the little bookshelf. Moving the vase and CD will let the wall color show, thus brightening the room.

ANd if you put the CD's in baskets it will tidy the room. Put them so the spines are facing up and they will be easy to select. :-)

Mosr pictures please!
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 12:09PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Janis,
You're right about going with the black frames. And there are other reasons why as well. I need the square shape of that size to not only fit the space correctly but to make it look professional, as the squareness is more professional looking for this photo.

Also there are locally no places that carry similar sized white square frames that look any good.

I actually think these would look great framed and matted together and there were pre-done frames like that at the store but they were too slender and reduced the photo size too much.

Also a pro framing job would cost a lot. I may go for that down the road....
1 Like   January 7, 2013 at 5:53PM
janishill
This looks amazing! Great job.

Good job, Frank! Good job.
1 Like   January 7, 2013 at 7:08PM
PRO
Frank Bright
I thought I'd share some home arts and crafts related to this room that I just did. The bowl for the coffee table has a grit texture on the bottom (don't ask me why).

This would scratch the new coffee table glass so I created a double-glass plate of sorts for the bowl to sit on and put the plate on rubber adhesive stops for legs to protect the table.

This can be done with one circle of glass, but I accidentally had the glass done slightly thinner than I wanted, but I happened to have 2 done, so I doubled them, using glass glue and gluing chrome washers between the two plates of glass in a diamond pattern.

I did a pattern of 9 in a diamond and aligned the rubber legs with the chrome washers... (see photos)

This creates a cool 3-D effect of the way the bowl looks on the table. This would also look cool with smoked glass or opaque glass.
2 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 10:39PM
PRO
Frank Bright
I got this idea from a TV spot where a woman used brass washers and painted the back panel of her book shelves red and then glued the brass washers to the back panel to add a textured 3-D effect.
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 10:48PM
Darzy
Noooooo! Don't mess with the table. It's a star on it's own and should have minimal adornment. Your living room is perfect. (well, except you need the perfect curtains). Is the dining room perfected? Leave this room alone and go to the next! : )
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 10:50PM
PRO
Lioness Interiors
Frank can I suggest design school you clearly have the interest, time,desire and drive or perhaps just a set of brakes. A+ for determination well done
2 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 11:37PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Darzy, the plate is hardly noticeable - it's mostly functional to protect the table. But it does elevate the bowl slightly which I think adds a nice effect.
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 1:27AM
janishill
Darzy...the plate isn't attached to the table. Just use to protect the table from scratches.

Good idea, Frank.
2 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 5:38AM
Darzy
ok
1 Like   January 8, 2013 at 3:02PM
kimdee24
I just wanted to say that I have REALLY enjoyed reading this thread! Every time a new picture, I'm like "OH! There's a new ___!" Very enjoyable read, and I admire your willingness to try anything and everything and how you're not afraid of colour. Awesome work!
3 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 3:48PM
PRO
Frank Bright
These are from my original blue flower photograph (the former lower picture in the black frame was the same). I thought I'd have to have this professionally done, but this might just do the trick....

This idea occurred to me shortly after I landed on the flowers motif.
1 Like   January 8, 2013 at 7:06PM
PRO
Frank Bright
This is from my original blue flower photograph....
1 Like   January 8, 2013 at 7:08PM
janishill
I believe in miracles...
2 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 5:06AM
mollythecollie
Love the picture and glad the thread is back up :-)
1 Like   January 11, 2013 at 6:00AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Wow ! I thought this thread broke ! I'll attach the print picture again that I had professionally printed. And as I had said, Janis you got your wish about the height. Meeting a standard frame size saved me some money so....
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 1:44PM
applejuice
I will wait to see the area after hiding the DVDs in the baskets under the entrance table. Can't wait to see the fireplace. If comparing with first pictures, this is a stunning transformation!
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 3:15PM
mingram1
Frank, your spaces just keep getting better and better! Great suggestions and great job! The rooms look fantastic!
2 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 3:42PM
PRO
the essentials inside
Yay! The thread is back! Hi all!

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 5:50PM
janishill
I think Houzz had to add space to it. And I think we are all glad to see it back up. There is a lot of useful info in this thread!
3 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 7:03PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Here's an overview.
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 3:12AM
rluchinski
Lol! What an amazing thread! So fun to read.... I didn't even get to the bottom of it! I love your livingroom Frank. What impressed me from the start is how lived-in and homey it looked, and you have managed to hold onto that even with all your changes. Looks like you are having a great time with the Houzz community!
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 6:28AM
bastma
I too loved this thread and was looking forward toseing the carpet gone.. Sadly it is still there. I think, from the begining all you had to do is change it to a more neutral color and you would not have had to change everything else. What a transformation though. I think now, it is absolutely perfect (but you might want to bring the curtains up, I have to agree). Good job Frank. Keep up the good work.
3 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 6:51AM
orangecamera
This thread has been a real education in design, and how wonderful!

The ongoing pictures would make a great children's book 'Can You Find the Differences?"
2 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 7:04AM
PRO
Judith Taylor Designs
Oh my goodness, I dream of all my clients being as open to change and tolerant of exploration. I think you have nailed it by placing the Noguchi table on top of that rug. Perfect marriage in how the curves relate and even the colours. I would edit out the flowery pillows and let the art and the rug hold your interest. What a great discussion!
2 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 7:04AM
sondramartina
I agree with bastma.it would be so much easier. But looks good now too.
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 7:16AM
Christelle
pretty, pretty
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 9:17AM
janishill
Before and After
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 11:49AM
janishill
What a transformation! Frank being as how I'm a Southern girl...I can say this - you dun good.

And Frank...looking at these made me realiz that the daisy pillow (right floral) would look better in the brown chair and the solid green put back on the sofa. :-D (green is my favorite color btw)
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 11:56AM
Aja Mazin
Micromanagement.

Shaking head.
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 6:43PM
calikym
Groundhog Day on houzz.com. Lmao.
3 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 7:06PM
PRO
Lioness Interiors
you all know we are being punk'd right LOL
now that's entertainment
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 7:31PM
Aja Mazin
Lioness Design,

But it has been my fear that Frank Bright did not realize it.
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 7:51PM
PRO
Lioness Interiors
LOL for real Aja we all love him now
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 8:04PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Thanks for all your comments. I'm not sure what "being punk'd" means but I'm pretty sure it's not boring.
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 3:55AM
Aja Mazin
Punked [punk'd] ~ To be made a fool of.; Tricked; Humiliated completely.

It is very unkind thing to do someone.
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 5:05AM
bdennison
What fun for a Sunday morning read! Very entertaining. I do like the transformation, but the journey was just as good :)
1 Like   January 13, 2013 at 5:52AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Aja, I'm thinking this is more of a reality show - and the title would be: ZERO DOLLAR DECORATORS
1 Like   January 13, 2013 at 8:25AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Btw, Janis the green pillow thing seemed like a good idea (I tried it), but it disorients the color trail from the painting to the bowl. There's a subtle trail of blue & teal from the painting to the bowl for which I specifically purchased that newer floral pillow.

You might perhaps still disagree but hey......c'est la vie.

Also, Aja, I might have been punked except for the fact that at many of the critical turns here, I myself took the initiative and defined the new direction. For more than one example, no one told me to purchase the Noguchi coffee table, or the ivory-colored couch (a neutral slip-cover was suggested), or the new bowl or the painting that brought it together. ...or the rug for that matter !

I guess the comedy here was me chasing my own tail through the attic - going around and around to find the thing that would hit the bulls eye. Once I realized that, I knew I had to just go shopping.

But all that said, I do appreciate all the help everyone has given and the pushing, prodding and poking that got me to go further. It was a group effort in large part.
2 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 8:45AM
bdennison
YOU did a great job Frank. I can't believe the energy you must have (not to mention stick-to-it-ivness) to get this done. It seems as though you genuinely enjoy the process. Have fun!
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 9:50AM
Aja Mazin
Frank Bright,,

I saw this rug and thougth of you!
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 2:46PM
PRO
Frank Bright
Aja,
Cute.
1 Like   January 13, 2013 at 8:29PM
janishill
Childish
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 4:52PM
Aja Mazin
♫♫ My daddy's rich and my momma's good looking" ♫♫

So hush up!

Andre Previn London Symphony Ocestra;Summertime

0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 5:49PM
PRO
Stone & Land, LLC
Interesting video Ms A. Mazin. Are you saying we should go back to the cotton fields, or do you just like the music. I'm really interested in your thoughts.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 6:45PM
Aja Mazin
It depicts a shameful reality in American history.

Porgy and Bess is an opera, first performed in 1935, with music by George Gershwin, libretto by DuBose Heyward, and lyrics by DuBose Heyward and Ira Gershwin.

It was based on DuBose Heyward's novel Porgy and subsequent play of the same title, which he co-wrote with his wife Dorothy Heyward.

It deal with African-American life in the fictitious Catfish Row (based on the area of Cabbage Row in Charleston, South Carolina, in the early 1920s.

It spoke to the plight of African-American and celebrated the spirit, courage, and determination to overcome discrimination

Originally conceived by George Gershwin as an "American folk opera", Porgy and Bess premiered in New York in the fall of 1935 and featured an entire cast of classically trained African-American singers—a daring artistic choice at the time.

The work was not widely accepted in the United States as a legitimate opera until 1976.

The work is now considered part of the standard operatic repertoire and is regularly performed internationally.

It is a reminder of a shameful reality in American history.

Previn's interpretation of Summertime and Porgy and Bess is most sensitive and poignant and may be said to reflect his experience as a child escaping the persecution inflicted on the Jews in Nazi Germany in the 1930's.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 6:57PM
janishill
Hmmm. It would appear that you know how to copy and paste: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porgy_and_Bess

Now the question is - what exactly does this have to do with the topic at hand: Frank's living room?
3 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 2:45PM
Aja Mazin
To quote Lioness Interiors,

"you all know we are being punk'd right LOL
now that's entertainment."
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 4:26PM
PRO
Frank Bright
I perform that song on a weekly basis...
www.frankbright.com

www.clairefrazier.com

Check us out.
2 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 1:16AM
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 1:29AM
Aja Mazin
Hey!

We are spending a week at The Wentworth this spring!
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 1:36AM
PRO
Frank Bright
Thanks Aja !
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 5:01AM
Aja Mazin
You have an immense talent and I hope we can hear you in person..
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 5:07AM
PRO
Galleria Place
The room looks nice...could use some wall decor? We have some very nice decor and electronics that would go great in the room.
Here is a link to our decor: http://www.bargainbacker.com/Decor-_c_8.html http://www.bargainbacker.com/Holly-Martin_c_4760.html
Looks great!
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 6:18PM
jome
I think it looks a lot better from when you started, but i totally think you should get a neutral carpet (and keep moslty everything quite neutral), considering you have such"loud" walls. http://st.houzz.com/simgs/9f32c6770090f3e9_7-6908/home-design.jpg i REALLY liked the wall decorations here, and the table from the beginning. I think, because of the yellow walls, light beige can easily look dirty or kind off weird. That is why I liked the first table! :)
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 8:06AM