Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Kitchen Remodel and then some
Bonnie Paulin
September 3, 2012 in Before & After
This kitchen remodel was long over due. This now open space used to be three separate rooms, a formal dining room (which we never used), the kitchen from the 80s and an awkward breakfast nook. We also remodel and expanded the laundry room and powder room and installed hardwoods throughout the lower level. Unfortunately, we ran into some structural issues that ate up over 15k of our budget, but thats a remodel!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Emily Hurley
Turned out great! Really fantastic space.
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 5:54PM
PRO
Dytecture
Yes, nice mix of natural and painted cabinetry. Very spacious kitchen !
0 Likes   November 28, 2012 at 6:34AM
PRO
Granite Transformations
did you work with a designer on your remodel? it came out beautifully! thanks for sharing
0 Likes   November 28, 2012 at 6:41AM
PRO
Stoneshop
What a beautiful open family space! I love the mix of cabinetry and your spacious island. Stunning!
0 Likes   November 28, 2012 at 6:43AM
PRO
Studio S Squared Architecture, Inc.
Feels very warm and inviting, a nice open arrangement. I very much like the look of the "china cabinet" in the dark wood.

Perhaps the cabs on the window wall could have been white as well, the mix/match upper and lowers here look a bit busy.

Also think a large picture window with two narrow operable sidelights would have been better over the sink, so that there is not a chunk of window sash directly in front of the sink.

But all in all, great work, a kitchen that anyone would be proud of, to be sure!
0 Likes   November 28, 2012 at 9:00AM
PRO
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
Oh this is so gorgeous - like the feel and extra room of the space! It really is lovely - sorry bout the extra $ spent - spread it out over the many future years you will be cooking and entertaining in this family social room - enjoy every minute!
0 Likes   November 28, 2012 at 9:06AM
Bonnie Paulin
Thanks everyone for the great comments. I am fanning my peacock feathers right now. I did this myself. I did pay a design consultant to come look at the space but did not care for ANY of her suggestions. I looked and hundreds of magazines and spent hours on the internet planning this space. Trust yourself, you know what you like. My only advice is stay neutral! Oh, and plan on spending more than you think with a remodel. Problems do come up.
1 Like   November 29, 2012 at 9:18AM
mmilos
Great job!

How do you like your cooktop in the island (with I assume a downdraft vent)? Does it work well for you?
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 10:47AM
PRO
Reico Kitchen & Bath
Love the mix of colors on cabinets, countertops and throughout!
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 6:00AM
Bonnie Paulin
MMILOS - Yes, it is a downdraft and I love it. Worth every penny. I love all the space around the cooktop. I cook a lot and I don't know how I did it without the space. Meal preps are easier and entertaining around food prep is so much fun!

Reico - I was a little nervous but have absolutely no regrets. I figured if I kept the furniture simple in style It would flow smoothly. I have gotten so many people stop by to take a took. They love it! My cabinet maker has done well after me. LOL! My bath is next and I can't wait. Looking for ideas all the time. Thanks so much all!
0 Likes   December 25, 2012 at 5:08PM