powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
The Kitchen/Dining Room/Living Room Remodel is almost complete...
charityscherubs
September 4, 2012 in Design Dilemma
What do you think? Any suggestions on a backsplash and a decorative globe for light over the sink?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Realtor in Tahoe
I've always been a fan of log homes just keep it simple. You already have a lighting fixture in the kitchen area I would try to match with a smaller one. Love the rust color on wall and would use the grey of counter and the rust to find a back-splash
November 27, 2012 at 7:03pm   
Bonnie
Love the log cabin. Very warm. The pictures over the couch are too high and too spread apart. Try grouping them closer together for a more cohesive look. Ideally wall art should be placed so that the center is 60 inches off the ground. Also, lone picture over TV looks odd and should be grouped with other smaller items. Keep light above sink very simple. Ditto the backsplash. Granite is somewhat busy so I would go with simple solid colored tile.
November 27, 2012 at 10:39pm     
gracysmith
Perfection! Love this type of classic log cabins. I’d like to thank you for the efforts you have put in writing this blog. I am hoping to see the same high-grade blog posts by you in the future as well. In fact, your creative writing abilities has inspired me to get my own blog now
November 28, 2012 at 12:08am   
PRO
Octavian Ungureanu, Architect
I like it except the grey tiles
November 28, 2012 at 2:49am     
creeser
I remember your original post! This is looking very nice!
November 28, 2012 at 2:53am   
PRO
builper.com
very nice
November 28, 2012 at 4:09am   
nomadkath
Cozy and rustic! I agree with Bonnie about the pictures. Maybe you could find another special place for photos grouped together, and put up a larger single piece of art in the same color family of the rest of the room. I like the kitchen. Maybe a taupe plain matte finish tile behind the stove. A couple of color accents in blue, green, warm reddish in the kitchen could be nice. holiday greens should look great too :)
November 28, 2012 at 5:48am   
dilly_ny
Nice character to your home! It looks like all your kitchen light fixtures match, so I wouldn't change the one over the sink unless you change them all. I would do barn style, oil rubbed bronze fixtures. For the backsplash, how about a stacked stone looking tile that brings in the grey tones of the tile floor. In the living room, would you consider hanging your flat screen tv on the wall?
November 28, 2012 at 6:05am     
PRO
Stoneshop
Your home is looking very nice! Very rustic and cozy. How about a tumbled stone backsplash? Travertine, perhaps. Here's a picture for inspiration:

[houzz=
]
November 28, 2012 at 6:12am     
charityscherubs
The remodeling is still going on...what was going to be new flooring and countertops has turned into much more! Thank-you so much for all your input it is so helpful. It is all done except for lights and applliances. I am totally leaning towards stainless appliances and brushed nickel lights with clear globes to go with the ceiling/light in living room. We are also going to paint the brown ceiling beams black.
November 28, 2012 at 7:38am   
PRO
Stoneshop
It is looking great, charityscherubs! Excellent updates so far. Stainless appliances with brushed nickel lighting sounds lovely. I would also recommend switching your hardware to brushed nickel as well. This finish will add some sparkle and contemporary style to your home.

Keep us posted!
November 28, 2012 at 8:35am     
rachstauss
I think a nice stone backsplash would really fit the style of the space...it's a little more rustic than glass.
November 28, 2012 at 10:43am     
Bonnie
I like the idea of the brushed nickel hardware. It will brighten it up as well as help to tie in the gray floor.
November 28, 2012 at 11:05am     
Bonnie
I think some pillows or a throw on the couch in colors pulled from the rug and gray floor would help to pull the whole look together as well.
November 28, 2012 at 11:38am   
movethisnotthat
I sadly missed the before pictures, log homes can be awesome, like a northwood look. That is what I'm missing here ! Are you done ? If you have not yet purchased light fixtures go with rubbed bronze, they are dark and will add character. Don't forget to slide your big rug under the couch a bit and lower the pictures above the couch...really your TV should be on that wall,The floor lamp in the corner confuses the room, Do you have other deer heads, or antlers? They would make a good grouping since you are into rustic. black or stainless appliances would be a good choice.
November 28, 2012 at 12:18pm   
kingslane
I like to mix things up. Would you consider a contemporary light fixture in the living room area..an arc floor lamp rather than the lamp already there between the couch and chair? I would also try to bring a little more of the rust from the rug out onto the couch with a pillow or two.
November 29, 2012 at 3:46am   
Jayme H.
Nice kitchen..I would add a few objects with bright color to stand out in there/pictures too small and too high over sofa/would put a large piece there or grouping of smaller items hung lower. Would prob. move tv to sofa wall. Metal chairs would pop out in the kitchen dining area as there is aleady a lot of wood. I would also add different textures throughout. I love the wood. Good job.
November 29, 2012 at 6:46am   
susanken
I have a post and beam house and it's tough to keep it from getting too woodsy. Above the couch needs a larger picture or iron figure, etc. Try putting slate look ceramic tiles on floor, it goes great with wood. Beadboard always looks great for backsplach.. it can stay white or paint it. Keep light fixture black or bronze iron.Keep counters uncluttered.
November 29, 2012 at 7:58am   
karelina
I love your house! But, why paint the beams black? There's already a nice contrast between the beams and walls and ceiling. It will just add more maintenance and show dust better.
November 29, 2012 at 1:09pm   
Dru Ange
Love the log cabin look. I would consider moving TV to sofa wall, maybe flanking them with bookcases/shelving on each side. Place sofa across from TV and place sofa table/ behind it paired with lamps and cubbies for storage, books, baskets, etc. It is a large room with a lot of wonderful space! Good luck!
March 3, 2014 at 10:08am