Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
To Paint, or not paint?
The Divine Living Space
September 6, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We just bought this house and EVERYTHING (floors, cabinets, doors, windows, trim, AND this big fireplace) is ALL this same color wood!!! Blah! I want to paint this fireplace, but it has to be classy... Thoughts anyone? Paint, not paint?... Color? We have a beautiful view of Lake Superior and the feel is very light and airy with tons of natural light! Thanks in advance
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
charleee
I think painting the fireplace would be ok. It looks like a piece of oak plywood covered with some oak 1 x 2's. For paint colors, if you want to keep it light and in line with the lake I would choose a very pale blue, or even a blue/green, something like an aquamarine. I would say floors and window trim, leave as is; cabinets and doors I'd like to see a picture before commenting.
September 6, 2012 at 5:44am     
PRO
Dytecture
I personally like the calmness and warmth of using wood on as many surfaces as possible, especially for a lakefront house.

September 6, 2012 at 7:22am   
Nancy Hehmann
I would like to see a photograph of more of the area before commenting. Is this fireplace freestanding or actually built in?
September 6, 2012 at 7:24am   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
My first thought was black, but I, too, want to see more pix.
September 6, 2012 at 7:29am   
decoenthusiaste
Is it standing against a window with a view or is that a mural behind it? More pics please. When you ask for advice on Houzz, you'll get a ton of it, to use now or later, but more pics = better advice and an overall plan to work with.
September 6, 2012 at 7:34am     
PRO
The Divine Living Space
Here is another view of it....I also think painting the wall color will help a lot. The wall color is a light yellow which does NOTHING for the trim color.
September 6, 2012 at 7:41am     
decoenthusiaste
If you like and plan to keep the window trim as is, finish the wood on the FP to match. If you want to change the trim in your cabin, then change the FP to match it.
September 6, 2012 at 7:46am   
PRO
The Divine Living Space
Here is one more picture of the adjacent wall. Planning on painting, and changing the light fixture (2 centered over the table). We just moved, so everything is just plopped down. Nothing permanent except dining table. I just wanted you to get a "feel" of the space. Too much wood the same color, lots of natural light =)
September 6, 2012 at 7:50am   
PRO
Dytecture
Very nice, someone might have suggested you try painting the walls first to give some contrast before doing anything to the wood.
September 6, 2012 at 7:51am     
PRO
If you like the wood on the cabinets (I can't determine much about it from the small photo), then I would keep it as is and plan on painting all the trim in the house white. Wall color would depend somewhat on your furnishings. I would remove the raised paneling from your fireplace and clad it in a stone tile such as is shown below. You could use the same stone tile on the back of the kitchen cabinet that faces out. Contemporary Bathroom California Cool in the Castro-Bathroom Zen Bathroom
September 6, 2012 at 8:17am     
PRO
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
I like your idea of painting the fireplace. Pick a fun color that works with your palette. Look to rugs, pillows, and curtains to create a palette. Try Semi-gloss for a fun punch of color. Hope that helps.
Charmean Neithart

September 6, 2012 at 8:27am     
PRO
If you do decide to put stone tile on your fireplace, I would recommend a smooth matching stone tile for the hearth.
September 6, 2012 at 8:31am   
PRO
Taylor Homes & Associates
Paint and thicken the hearth top. 3/4" is too thin. Also the wood grain on each side is running the wrong way. Paint would hide that.
September 12, 2012 at 12:45pm     
judianna20

How about this solution? Leave the woodwork natural and paint the walls and the fireplace the same color, any color of your choice. A paint color that look good with natural wood is BM November Rain and obviously this soft green in the picture.
September 12, 2012 at 1:18pm     
PRO
The Divine Living Space
I thought I'd post a picture of what I decided to do to the fireplace. Thanks for all your help!
December 27, 2012 at 3:32pm     
PRO
I love it! It looks fantastic!!
December 27, 2012 at 3:40pm     
decoenthusiaste
You did good!
December 27, 2012 at 3:47pm     
MAlps
I would do the trimming white and the rest a pretty color ( not sure what matches the area) To give some boldness, consider a black screen cover or something like that- i recently saw on Ikea.com
December 27, 2012 at 4:09pm   
MAlps
Oops, put a comment on the wron place! Hey i love the fireplace! Youve got talent!!!
December 27, 2012 at 4:11pm   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.