powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help on exterior Paint.. IDEAS?????
fbmbirds
September 9, 2012 in Design Dilemma
So i just bought this house and im not really feeling the paint color. Really wanted to paint the house a nice bright light blue but as you can see from the pic the house to the left of mine is already that color.

Please help me

I also attached a photoshop of a OJ color Im just not feeling it.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
fbmbirds

found this house on the site. Love the color. does anyone think it would flow?
September 9, 2012 at 7:32AM     
mpoulsom
you are obviously at the beach! :) why not a toned down version of your orange, like a pale salmon color or light peachy color....with a beautiful bright colored blue door. Where are you....I'm from sc and it looks very "south carolinian beachlike"?
And to be quite honest...I don't think the color you have now is bad.....just paint your door some cool color first! Doors are small and an easy thing to change if you don't like it.
September 9, 2012 at 8:07AM     
fbmbirds
lol the doors are sliding glass doors Im located in Surf City NC
I would like a toned down orange color but cant find a good one to photoshop it always comes out brighter.
September 9, 2012 at 8:16AM   
decoenthusiaste
Look for bittersweet color at the paint store. Maybe the company you like has a website where you can try before you buy.
September 9, 2012 at 9:49AM   
mpoulsom
look up "approaching autumn" a benjamin moore paint color. it may not be dark enough for you, but this is kind of the realm i was pondering. you could paint that solid door to the right for fun! and then place some big planters in a fun oceany color (blues, greens) to put on either side of the sliding glass doors.
or add some sort of awning over the sliding glass doors on both levels for color as well. you could keep the color you have on the house and put your color in the awnings. it would make a huge difference and give it some detail. I think a sage green on the house with peachy colored awnings and soft white trim would be beautiful!
i'm extremely jealous of your house and it's location..btw! one day, one day, i will buy a house at the beach! i don't even care if it's a small shack!! lol!
September 9, 2012 at 9:52AM     
designgirl178
I very much prefer your color to either of your neighbors' homes. I would do as some others suggested by adding some interest by painting the front door a bright, welcoming color and adding awnings possibly. Adding some colorful flowering bushes to the front and around the mailbox would add some spice also. I like to add an over-sized number plaque to the front somewhere, black numbers with a stark white background will stand out nicely, I would not add other design or colors for maximum effect. Good luck.
September 9, 2012 at 10:20AM     
larryhinkle
I got a light blue vibe off your house the minute I saw it! You can do another shade of light blue regardless of your neighbors.

I love orange too. My only issue with your orange choice is that it makes the house feel "modern". I would like to see some more modern elements added so it doesnt look so 80's
September 9, 2012 at 10:31AM     
fbmbirds
Also since you mentioned aqnings what type would look good and where should i place it? One on the master bed room and one on the main walkway?
September 9, 2012 at 10:40AM   
cocinera
surely you put awnings where you need them? to keep out the sun? so the house doesn't get too hot? anyway, i think they'd look awful on your somewhat sea ranch style house.

if you need to shade your house, build out some of those louvered shades--don't know what to call them but they're made from boards set parallel to the side of the house and separated from each other by 6 inches or so, and paint them to match the trim.

frankly, your gray house with white trim is the classiest looking of the three. that robin's egg blue is tacky tacky tacky and the yellow is anemic. take your colors from your natural surroundings, the sand, the sea, the sky...
September 9, 2012 at 11:00AM     
larryhinkle
Im with cocinera.. awnings? really? and where?

But being the beach you are allowed to go a bit crazy with color and use Pinks and brights or what ever.
September 9, 2012 at 11:06AM     
lefty47
HI -- Have a look at Benjamin Moore's "Amsterdam Blue " it's a very classy color for a house. The color in your example photo is great too , look at (BM's) " Rusty Nail" might be close.
September 9, 2012 at 11:06AM   
fbmbirds
IDK about the blues, I mean i want to stand apart for the other homes. i think a netural color would be good but just cant rap my fingure around it yet. Maybe its already looking me in the face?
September 9, 2012 at 11:27AM   
fbmbirds
Ok so i had this other photoshop of a blue i liked.

Ideas
to much conflict with the other house. I just dont know any more
September 9, 2012 at 11:41AM     
prettynfabulous
I love the blue what about adding black shutters with black outside lights. Giving it some contrast and the house on the other side is more bright greenish and so this would help the house to stick out.
September 9, 2012 at 11:54AM     
cocinera
very pretty...i like it
black shutters...NOT!
September 9, 2012 at 12:57PM     
AMN
I think the blue is fine. Who cares about the other house.
As long as you don't paint it the exact same color as theirs, it should be fine.
September 9, 2012 at 2:35PM     
larryhinkle
in the new picture I see you have that "interior" space. Thats a perfect spot to add the pop of color you seem to want.

If you are really brave you could even do a reverse color scheme. The main part could be white and you could add color the stairs/deck and SOME of the trim
September 9, 2012 at 2:43PM     
fbmbirds
i guess if i wasnt so close to the other house. But then again i dont wany any conflicts in colors.
The black shutter idea sounds like a good idea. I just need to figure out how to put them on the windows that are not square.

And the reverse color scheme could would but i dont see it happining. way to much of a change.

Let me upload a house that is the blue i want.

I was thinking of doing the Big BOLD address number thing on the house like on that one wall to the right where there is a light. if the house was to be painted blue i would do a white outline and then big black numbers.

thanks for all the ideas.
September 10, 2012 at 1:36AM     
fbmbirds
I mean i really dont care about the other houses around me. I just dont want to take away from my place. I want to stand out and look good.
September 10, 2012 at 4:36AM   
jmanville5
I do like the orange but do agree it could lend it self to a more modern vibe. But if this is a second home it might be nice to do something different. I also like the second picture you uploaded. The blue is very pretty and does stand out. Keep everything thing white. Black shutters are too heavy for the beach. Maybe even brightening up the driveway with fresh crushed shells or stone. Enjoy!
September 10, 2012 at 4:51AM   
fbmbirds
I just wish someone with really good photo shop skills could do a few dif colors of my house with the other 2 houses and see what contrast better..
September 10, 2012 at 6:50AM   
michigammemom
You might consider a dark charcoal gray exterior with your white trim. The gray would coordinate well with the adjacent houses, while the dark color would distinguish your house from the others. Sorry, but I am not a fan of the orange and would not want my home referred to as "that wild orange house down the street".:)
September 10, 2012 at 7:40AM     
fbmbirds
^^^^^
Very nice didnt even think of a darker blue/gray color that house does look good. really need to get a color and photo shop it. AWwwwww This is driving me crazy i just want to find the right color and get the house painted. I love that Green door. Could do something like that on the downstairs shower.
September 10, 2012 at 7:52AM   
larryhinkle
if you browse Houzz for beach houses... i would say the majority are in dark grays... but they seem more california modern than east coast traditional styles
September 10, 2012 at 9:01AM   
AMN
Did some fiddling around so you can get an idea of what several colors will look like next to other houses. I'm probably going to have to attach these in at least two different responses. These are not any specific colors from any brand. They're just chosen to give you an idea of what a certain shade might look like. (response 1/2)
September 10, 2012 at 10:04AM     
AMN
Did some fiddling around so you can get an idea of what several colors will look like next to other houses. I'm probably going to have to attach these in at least two different responses. These are not any specific colors from any brand. They're just chosen to give you an idea of what a certain shade might look like. (response 2/2)
September 10, 2012 at 10:04AM     
fbmbirds
^^^^ OMG thats so nice how did u do that
September 10, 2012 at 10:16AM   
fbmbirds
Also i was wondering does anyone think it would look weird if i did a 2 tone color? like the front parts where the sliding doors are would be one color then the rest would be another color?
September 10, 2012 at 10:21AM     
larryhinkle
i think your house is modern enough that it could handle 2 tone or more creative painting.
September 10, 2012 at 10:36AM     
fbmbirds
I just dont know the color. I really want to do something 2 tone. just on the front i mean the sides will be the main color and just on the front walls where the 2 sliding doors will have the other color. and maybe the bottom where the outside shower is. I just dont know.
September 10, 2012 at 10:38AM   
larryhinkle
probably at this point you best bet is to go get samples and get a some paint up to how it works. I recently did some exterior painting and I think it looks great on the street but dont really love the color when im 5 feet away
September 10, 2012 at 10:45AM     
AMN
I agree with larryhinkle. Take comfort in the fact that you have thoroughly considered all options in your head, on the computer screen, and with us.

It is now time to start trying stuff in real life.
September 10, 2012 at 11:12AM   
fbmbirds
Well easier said than done. Im not home right now. Currently in afghanistan working but as soon as i get home the wife and I will be looking. I just wanted to get some ideas. thanks for the help.
September 10, 2012 at 11:18AM   
Terri
fbmbirds:
I can't believe I came across your dilemma. My husband and I just bought a house in a Carolina Beach community (we are not on the ocean, but 6 houses away) and the color on either side of our house is the same exact colors as those that flank your home! We too are going crazy trying to figure out a color for our house, which is currently a gray/blue that we are not crazy about. We have gone from light and airy blues to deep blue/greys, or reds that rival the sunset and pale corals. Our neighborhood supports mostly lighter pastel colors but there are several houses already that have painted outside that box and are very vibrant. I wish I had a picture of my neighbor's homes but I never took one. We are thinking of a blue that has less green it. Photo attached of our house now. We hired a painter for the first week of October so we need to decide fast! I wish I had photoshop!
September 10, 2012 at 11:31AM     
fbmbirds
Yea while i am not in a community i guess i could paint my house bright pink lol. But i know how you feel. What was the quote they gave you for painting the house? Also yea its hard thinking about the right color. there isnt alot of choices.
September 10, 2012 at 11:36AM   
Terri
I found a pic of the house next door with the pale creamy yellow but I believe if you look closely at my house pic you can see a little bit of the turquoise house next door to the right of the photo.

We are currently waiting for an estimate from one guy who came highly recommended by others - we think he'd be the highest estimate (according to neighbors they've paid $4 - 5000). Just had someone else give us a quote of $2200. Both guys included power washing, calking and some paint scraping in their quote.

Hmmm...bright pink huh? Let me at least share a pic of the house across the street from us lol.
September 10, 2012 at 12:00PM   
mpoulsom
fbmbirds.....i will shut up after this post, but i just thought of something. had you considered doing a metal roof for your color and then keep the house neutral. The darker picture paint color would be for the base of the house, the lighter color the trim color, and the last pic will be a chart for different metal roof color choices. you would be different/individual from the other beach houses and stand out, but without the possibly "tacky factor". AND metal roofs are supposed to last 3 times as long as regular shingle roofs and stand up to extreme weather conditions. And no, I do not sell metal roofing, although it may sound like it! HA!
(If you think this may be an option, i'll try and find a house picture with a colored metal roof and neutral house.)
p.s. i love the royal blue on this chart, but you could use many others if you keep your house color in neutrals (grays, browns, tans, etc.)
September 10, 2012 at 12:50PM   
Terri
There's a house in my beach community that is painted Valspar's Newport Grey (I know because he showed me the paint can), which is actually a blue color and they have bright white railings and a silver/white metal roof. Every time I passed it I thought "how pretty" and then it struck me - I loved the contrast of the silver/white metal roof with the rich blue gray. It is the only house with a bright roof (that I know of) but it really works. Course you only get one shot at something like that.
September 10, 2012 at 12:54PM   
fbmbirds
Yea i do like the idea of a metal roof and was thinking about that. I think i would get it when the house needs a new roof. I mean if it isnt broke dont fix it. but then again if i kept on with that mind set the house would stay the same color and nothing would get done.
September 11, 2012 at 12:58AM   
Terri
If you are thinking of a metal roof sometime down the road, my suggestion would be to choose a paint color you can visualize with the color metal roof you might like to get one day. You may have to live with a bit of a mismatch for a while but at least it will work out in the end.

We were up late last night looking at blues yet again. I love Benjamin Moore's, "Wythe" and "Stratton Blue", but hubby wants a bold NY Giants Blue. I'm very afraid that if the color is too dark we'll be painting it every year or else watching one side of the house fade from the direction of the sun. And now I'm thinking of a metal roof...
September 11, 2012 at 8:46AM     
fbmbirds
Yea i looked at the Wytheblue and when i did it in photo shop its the color my house is now. So i dont know.
September 11, 2012 at 9:10AM   
Terri
That's what my husband said about our house - not enough of a difference compared to what it is now, ergo the NY Giant's blue with a hint of teal. Actually it's a color by Behr called Royal Breeze, but it sure is a deep color.
September 11, 2012 at 9:44AM   
mpoulsom
I think you should both do the metal roof thing!! seriously!
and to Terri, if hubby needs G-men blue, make THAT the roof color, I would be afraid of the fading factor as well. :)
Keep the bases of the house in neutrals (grays, light browns, taupes (sandy, driftwood colors) with off-white trims...and then if you need another pop of color, doors or whatever accessories you want to use on the outside of the house. It really would be beautiful.
If you sent a photograph of your houses to a metal roofing company, I bet they could set it up so that you could click on any color roof you might be interested in and really be able to visualize how nice this would be. I know I said I would shut up earlier, but alas, here i am again. lol
And one other thing....the reason I say off-white trim instead of white is because from what I understand, white shows more dirt than off-white trims. This may be a misconception, but I have read that several different times. FYI
September 11, 2012 at 9:45AM     
Terri
mpoulsom
lol on the g-men blue! Better for the roof, agreed.
September 11, 2012 at 1:43PM   
fbmbirds

What about this color with white outline around windows and white decks. then the same color metal roof?

Possibly black shutters

Ideas?
September 12, 2012 at 6:05AM     
judianna20

Brown! Possibly BM Alexandria Beige? It will look great between the blue and yellow houses and then you can choose a fab color for the door....a yummy color like the purple phlox ground cover.
September 12, 2012 at 8:10AM     
fbmbirds
Yea i give up on the color will just have to put that on hold.
September 19, 2012 at 8:34AM   
summer_night5
To keep that beachy flavor you can paint the house a lighter shade of the present color and an even lighter shade of the present color where the entrance is. This keeps it in the shades of driftwood, a rather classy touch.You are dealing with a very brown roof color and until you are able to replace it, softening the present color would work. I would also add some flowering shrubs in the front. Something with a blue flower would give you the blue touch you feel would work. Maybe some bright blue chairs. This color would actually coordinate better with the pink and the aqua house colors. I wouldn't be surprised if the people in the yellow house repainted.
September 20, 2012 at 5:03PM   
lorik914
What about a cool lilac shade??
September 20, 2012 at 6:26PM   
fbmbirds
So i gave up on the house color. Personally its starting to grow on me. plus i just got a gate installed. Still need to paint it White but the house is slowly coming together.

Also got a fence installed. thinking about staining it vs Painting. thoughts?
October 4, 2012 at 7:04AM   
fbmbirds
Still trying to figure out a good color. Please anyone
January 13, 2013 at 6:42AM   
Terri
Hi fbmbirds, it's been awhile - are you back in the house color mode or just fence color? I still like both of the blues that AMN photoshopped for you as well as the blue you liked early on (I don't think it's too close to your neighbor's color at all). But if you want to go with a different color I think something with a periwinkle (bluish purple) would be nice too. We were warned not to go too dark, especially in a red tone because the sun fades it so much you'll come home to a pink house one day - and usually only on the sunniest side.
I think your fence came out great! We put one in too last month too (hubs cut it to look like waves) and with the house paint color finally on it's slowly all coming together. (So it was goodbye faded, peeling dull blue and hello to a much brighter BM Stratton Blue with a front door in BM's Semolina - an orangy yellow).
We're probably not going to paint our fence, but we thought we'd let it dry out a bit and then decide if we want to put on a light natural or maybe a driftwood gray stain. Most of our neighbors have let their fences age naturally but maybe the fence would last longer with some sort of sealer. I know that paint requires so much maintenance by the beach.
I attached some pictures of our progress and the finished house. This spring we'll tackle the landscaping, a new walkway and our outdoor shower. Walked the beach today with hubs and the dog - 73 sunny degrees and a beautiful North Carolina surf. I wish you well with your choices - I know how hard this decision is.
January 13, 2013 at 1:23PM     
fbmbirds
I dont know about the blue any more. The next door house color is a teal and it just feel like there is to much conflict. Is there any way someone could photoshop different shades of red for me? I cannot get photoshop to make the red look right.

coty
January 16, 2013 at 2:56AM   
solraven
If this was my house, I would paint it a true bright orange, something that would compliment the bright turquoise next door. Being a beach house, I think that it should have a more playful, fun color scheme. You're next door neighbor has done a great job of raising up the energy in the neighborhood. Just looking at that house puts me in a vacation/relaxing/beach state of mind. If you're house color was just as cheerful, as I was driving down the road, I would probably say, "Ooooo.... looking at these pretty houses." One house, is pretty, but two multiplies the beauty of both.

BTW, when I saw your house, I immediately thought it was in Top Sail, NC. Last time I was in Top Sail was about 20 yrs ago, so imagine my surprise that you were one town over. :)
January 16, 2013 at 12:08PM   
prettynfabulous
What is everyone's thoughts about doing grey it is a beach house, but what about grey and a bright colored door and roof? Thoughts?
January 16, 2013 at 2:01PM     
bmelvin
I would definitely stay away from any shade of blue. It seems like they all clash with your neighbor's blue house. I like the Approaching Autumn color someone else chose. But I also like the color it is now. I think some nice big planters in just the right color would look great on your balconies and provide that pop of color. Good luck!
January 16, 2013 at 2:55PM   
January 16, 2013 at 9:57PM     
fbmbirds
Im really starting to think a grey color. like the above photo.
January 16, 2013 at 10:17PM     
Sigrid
As long as you don't paint it the same shade or one or two shades off, your house will look fine. Don't waste your time worrying about clashing --- no one will think they clash. And anyway, your neighbor could repaint their house another color or sell it to someone who hates the color. Your paint should last for 10-20 years and there's no guarantee your neighbor will take your house into count when he repaints, so why go with second best.

Paint versus stain depends on your siding and your area. Talk to your painter.

I planned to paint by dull bluish gray house a darker, bluer color. By the time my husband and I managed to agree on a color, there were 15 swatches painted on the back of the garage and it was a lot darker and a lot bluer. It looks great! But it's probably a bit too similar to the house across the street, something we didn't pay attention to when picking a color. I'm so happy with the way my house looks, that I can't be bothered to care about whether the street would have been better off with more different colors in the two houses.
January 17, 2013 at 1:02AM   
Chroma Natrix
What fun to have such a great beach house! Maybe you could consider working with the colors of the neighboring homes to create a harmonious flow between the three. In this analagous color grouping, you provide a green that falls between the yellow and blue on the color wheel and retains the fresh colorful summer palette of your neighborhood.
January 17, 2013 at 1:34AM     
Chroma Natrix
Another possibility would be to add another analagous color to the group.... periwinkle blue.
January 17, 2013 at 1:36AM     
Chroma Natrix
And one more green.... note that you might get a sleek, uncluttered appearance by painting the white louvers the color of the walls.
January 17, 2013 at 1:39AM     
fbmbirds
Thank you for the responses. As far as going with a green I was thinking about that and im thinkng if i do decide to paint it i want to go with something different.

I like the idea of going grey because it is netural and would make the house stand out.

I know its not a real beachy color but i figure i can spruse up the house with colorful shutters and flowers.

coty
January 17, 2013 at 1:45AM   
Chroma Natrix
You mentioned red. That would create a sort of primary color scheme with the yellow and blue homes beside you.
January 17, 2013 at 1:56AM     
Chroma Natrix
And a sort of variation on your original orange idea. Sort of a persimmon... BTW... thought would be to paint the fence white if you keep the trim white on the house, no matter the color of the walls.
January 17, 2013 at 2:01AM     
fbmbirds
Chroma Natrix can you do one in the grey that ive mentioned? I cannot get photo shop to do it correct.

Coty
January 17, 2013 at 2:02AM   
solraven
Orange or even a deep gold. I think the gold house will drown out the pale yellow house next door, but I think that house is too pastel. Almost any deep color will overshadow it.
January 17, 2013 at 10:16AM   
bmelvin
I'm totally liking the green hues you've shown lately. They blend well with the neighbors' houses, but set you apart by a long shot!
January 17, 2013 at 10:35AM     
bmelvin
Especially the lighter green. I'm now enthralled with it.
January 17, 2013 at 10:38AM   
decoenthusiaste
I like the green posted by AMN 4 months ago.
January 17, 2013 at 10:40AM   
bmelvin
OK. I think I've made up my mind. (Ha, that's funny, since it's your house.) I LOVE the first green house in AMN's suggestions from 4 months ago. It's PERFECT!!!
January 17, 2013 at 11:03AM   
Chroma Natrix
Ok, per your request, here are some greys! Good luck!
January 17, 2013 at 7:12PM     
Chroma Natrix
with orange door
January 17, 2013 at 7:13PM     
Chroma Natrix
Grey-Green
January 17, 2013 at 7:16PM     
Chroma Natrix
dove grey
January 17, 2013 at 7:34PM   
PRO
Tres McKinney Design
You live in a community so there is nothing wrong with your house being harmonious with your neighbors. You re not in the Bahamas where the venacular is brightly colored houses. Your existing gray or a darker shade is your best option for standing out next to the pale yellow house on one side and blue on the other. A pastel or bright color is just going to look like another Easter egg. A bright colored door and colorful landscaping will set you apart. Minimize that driveway and add colorful plantings as JudyB recommends. Check out Houzz landsape designers and garden articles for colorful beachside plantings and great ideas.
January 17, 2013 at 8:20PM   
fbmbirds
^^ Yes i plan on cleaning my drive way up a bit. It needs slimmed down on the right side and thats exactly what i plan on doing this summer. As for the paint i am leaning towards the greyish color. I will have to hold off on the paint because i just found out the windows i want for my house will set me back 14k.

Coty
January 18, 2013 at 12:39AM   
Brooke Olson
I love the orange!!! Some black and white stripe awnings or just one would look fantastic.
January 18, 2013 at 1:03AM   
Brooke Olson
And a turquoise door!
January 18, 2013 at 1:06AM   
fbmbirds
I dont know ive been thinking and maybe a fresh coat of green paint might bring the life back to my house. Because i am betting my paint is just old and faded.

coty
January 18, 2013 at 11:41PM   
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
I love the OJ - but I'd want you to have something that colour downand into the yard like a huge vase or planter filled with flowers!
January 18, 2013 at 11:45PM   
fbmbirds
man i tell ya the down sides to home ownership.
January 19, 2013 at 4:56AM     
aladdintn
I like the green and persimmon colors ^.
January 19, 2013 at 6:05AM   
solraven
It's a good downside to have! Here's for more "downsides" like this one! :)
January 19, 2013 at 1:13PM     
fbmbirds
lol i guess.
January 20, 2013 at 1:40AM     
PRO
JWinteriors
A blue gray color with white trim would not compete with the robins egg blue
January 20, 2013 at 1:48AM   
fbmbirds
what do you mean robins egg blue? as in the next door house?
January 20, 2013 at 3:36AM   
fbmbirds
I think when the time comes to paint the house i will just go with a light green color. or a shade of green that suites the house.

coty
January 20, 2013 at 3:46AM   
fbmbirds

Well i think i just found the color theme i was looking for.

What do you think?
February 10, 2013 at 6:02AM   
decoenthusiaste
It will be very pale and washed out next to your turquoise neighbor, but will look great with the yellow one. I still think the one AMN posted 5 months ago will work with both neighbors and will stand on its own.
February 10, 2013 at 7:04AM     
fbmbirds

Here is another angle of that house in the color.

Also the Turqoise house to the left of mine is very very bright.

the yellow is very very washed out.
February 10, 2013 at 7:16AM     
solraven
I agree with deco. It's a gorgeous house, but it's very muted and will look washed out unless it's next to all pale houses or on it's own.
February 10, 2013 at 8:31AM   
PRO
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
I think you haven't found the right shade. It also has to compliment the two colors next door neither of which are great. So the exact right shade of coral would be nice. I didn't see it on this thread....loved the landscaping ideas though. Don't paint the offset door a different color. Doesn't need it. Its a distraction.
February 10, 2013 at 8:45AM     
solraven
I think coral or orange would look great as well. A bright grass green, will look nice, but coral or orange will really make this house pop.
Remember, fbmbirds, paint is a low commitment. I'm having my house painted now, and changed the color on the back of the house three times. Our painter said that once the house had been prepped, repainting it another color was easy.

On your very first picture, you showed us an orange/coral house. Something tells me you know that's what will look best, but the color is so out of your comfort zone, that you're afraid to pull the trigger. I understand. I've spend more on samples than paint, because I was afraid to just paint it. I finally realized that my first inclination, was almost always, right.
February 10, 2013 at 8:57AM     
creativetkr
Love the bright green color (there is a house in DuckNC that color and it is awesome). However, personally I like your color. We selected a dark grey for our beach house. Then kicked it up with salmon doors, chairs and flowers. When I get tired of the salmon I can change the accents to another color (ie. teal or bright blue whatever) and not have the cost of painting again. We did add additional white trim where possible - like under the eaves and a nice wide white border band at the bottom.
You seem torn on the color. So, consider adding accent color for now. Some really colorful adirondack chairs (love the heavy duty ones made from recycled plastic, they holdup well under the harsh conditions). Possible chair colors - 1). repeat teal from the house, 2). go all out coral/orange or 3). add the bright green. You can add other accents like big flower pots in your chosen color. Just keep everything the SAME ONE accent color. Bigger impact when all the same. Even consider add a few Bermuda shutters. They now come in great colors. Maybe add them to your window on the side of your house. Saw some really great salmon colored ones recently. Colorful and have a great storm protection value too.
February 10, 2013 at 9:36AM   
fbmbirds
Yea im about to just give up. I thought at one point in time a terra-cotta color but that seemed crazy at the time.

I just want something easy on the eyes.
February 10, 2013 at 11:40AM   
fbmbirds

I really like this color orange but idk how it would look on my house.
February 10, 2013 at 11:42AM   
Chroma Natrix
Per your request, this is an approximation of your color. Your example has either morning or evening light on it, whereas your house is shown on the shaded side mid-dayish? It's a somewhat muted color.. lighter and less saturated and more pink than pumpkin. Beware of choosing a color too light or too saturated (intense). In my experience, people who use swatches to choose color often pick colors too strong and too light. You've probably seen some of those garish bright colors on houses. My friend's "adobe" bathroom turned out looking like strawberry bubble gum. You get the picture. Usually a mistake they made because they didn't try it on the space, and selected it just from the swatch. I'd get a couple of quarts, and try it on a couple of areas. Then if you THINK you like it, buy a gallon or two and paint a big visible section before you buy enough for the whole house. Look at in all light situations. Also, be aware that the gray color will make any color look pretty intense by comparison while you're painting. I once painted a subtle grey-green over khaki, and I panicked until it was done because it looked so intensely green next to the other color. Best of luck!
February 10, 2013 at 1:50PM     
Chroma Natrix
It might look more like this because it's in shadow.
February 10, 2013 at 1:56PM     
ispeakwhale
Salmon!!!! With grass green and white striped awnings. I would be in heaven in this house!
February 10, 2013 at 2:16PM   
fbmbirds

Well i think im going to do it. Ive spoke with a contractor about a metal roof and might just get my house painted the rainwashed color and a silver roof.

What do you guys think?

Yes i know light colors might just blend in but i have so much green around my house i dont really care.

I just want my house to flow from top to bottom and not be broken up into may sections like it is now.
February 11, 2013 at 7:49AM   
fbmbirds
February 11, 2013 at 8:05AM   
fbmbirds
the two links i just posted would be the idea i want to go with. Silver roof with a light green siding. Nothing to extreme but very easy on the eyes
February 11, 2013 at 8:06AM   
Chroma Natrix
If it's unity you're looking for, using less contrast will offer that, and the silver roof/light grey-green siding and white trim are low contrast. More visually calm. Higher contrast adds more complexity/clutter/excitement. It depends on what you're looking for.
February 11, 2013 at 10:06AM     
Chroma Natrix
Another way to visually unify might be to add a set of garage doors. You can do it barn door sliding style and match the louvers on the left.
February 11, 2013 at 10:39AM   
fbmbirds
Hello,

here is the most uptodate current picture of my house as it sits now.

As you can see ive got a custom gate for the opening.
February 11, 2013 at 11:19AM   
Chroma Natrix
Does it need paint now? Does it need a roof now? If not, I'd leave it until you are clearer on what you want. It's a nice neutral color. If those are ok for now, and you have money you want to spend on improvements, I'd get a landscape architect to give you some ideas on how to re-do the driveway and landscaping. Free advice... worth exactly what you paid for it :-)
February 11, 2013 at 11:48AM     
fbmbirds
yea true damit. might just wait now

coty
February 11, 2013 at 11:57AM   
maybelle_joy_love
Maybe a pale green.
February 11, 2013 at 12:26PM   
Chroma Natrix
I was trying to decide why this cute home didn't look inviting.
1. Not many windows
2. Big bunch of foliage covering the entry to the stairway (the way in looks barricaded).
3. The door is solid, with no sidelight or window, and no window nearby.
4. Confusing architecture needs unification.

How about giving the door some color, getting rid of the big bush in front of the stairs, make a "fake" window using a louvered arch that matches the one on the opposite side of the building. Make the bottom line up with the other one. Make the top line up with the top of the front door, and center it in the space the same as the one on the left side.

Narrow the driveway and add some grass or other lower shrubs.

Make a "fake" window using a painted windowframe attached to the wall to get rid of that big blank in the middle of the entry level. You could also use a cute adirondack bench with an interesting back shape to add interest to that space if the window frame is too much.
Last thoughts. Good luck!
February 11, 2013 at 5:09PM     
solraven
Oh wow, Chroma! It's so cute... I think you're right. Painting it when you aren't sure, and it doesn't need one doesn't make any sense right now. You might be getting rid disliked color, for another. I totally agree with you about the the lack of front windows. My guess is that the back of the house is ALL windows! =) I would even put another faux window above it, but a smaller one.
February 11, 2013 at 6:29PM   
calikym
I like the color it is already. It's so nice. Just add some curb appeal.
February 11, 2013 at 6:47PM   
prettynfabulous
I agree that big bush in front of the stairs needs to go all together. The driveway does need to be shaped straight too. I also agree with the smaller flowerbed in front of the stairs to wrap around the whole bottom of the stairs down below and just take out that bush.
February 11, 2013 at 7:54PM   
fbmbirds
yea i like the idea of getting rid of that bush it is big and does block alot.

i will have to look into the window idea but the house does have a total of 15 of them only 1 on the front tho.
February 12, 2013 at 9:55AM   
fbmbirds
Hello,

I figured i would let you all know what is going on as of now.

I will be getting a louvered wall build on the left side of my house to match the front.

Getting the new Impact windows to replace my original windows from 1988

and going to go ahead and make the move for the Aluminum standing seam roof.

Trying to figure out what color to go with and im really just thinking the silver/greyish like ive posted before.

Not to thrilled on the price of all this but i figured its gonna get done someday might as well do it.

As for the Paint gonna just hold off and do the landscaping to see if that helps.

V/R

Coty
February 17, 2013 at 4:27AM   
prettynfabulous
It sounds like you have made choices to approve the appearance on your home and good ways to improve energy efficiency with new windows and aluminum roofing. I was noticing it doesnt appear that you have grids in your windows now. I enjoy the look of grids in windows that may be an option to improve the looks of your home. I would go with the no paint on the aluminum roof it would match with many color. Unless your house needs to be painted I like the color it is now . Make sure to post pics once all the work is completed it will be nice to see the before and afters.
February 17, 2013 at 8:09PM     
ann
I like the Salmon with white, or a pale peach and sand trim
February 17, 2013 at 8:15PM     
mveasey
Why don't you take a drive around the extended neighbourhood when you get back and look around...might just find that perfect colour on a house with your southern beach light. I would not rush things. Enjoy your new home, don't fret over the "smaller stuff".
February 17, 2013 at 9:33PM     
fbmbirds
Ive been driving around and checking out the other homes in the area. I think the new roof will really make the house pop, plus give me a piece of mind.

The windows also will be getting redone so that will also give me a piece of mind.

Just looking forward to this summer and doing some serious landscaping.

V/R

Coty
February 19, 2013 at 7:16AM   
fbmbirds
here are some pictures of the house just for fun. and these pictures really show the need for some sort of landscaping in the front. So that will be my number 1 thing to do when i get back
February 19, 2013 at 7:18AM   
prettynfabulous
What are you planning on doing with the driveway?
February 22, 2013 at 7:26AM   
fbmbirds
I was thinking of just doing concrete
February 22, 2013 at 7:49AM   
sharpkl
I actually like your color house. If you want to add a pop why not so it with magenta flowers and greenery? You could do a lot with accents since the house is basically neutral.
February 22, 2013 at 8:13AM   
fbmbirds
What about the fence? Should i paint it WHITE? or just stain it?
February 22, 2013 at 8:40AM   
PRO
The Color People
So many colors? If you like blue, go with blue. You will need to use a light blue and it will have to be a little bit to the turquoise side so that it will flow with the house next door. The light color will insure you look different as the neighbors house is quite dark. It will go with the yellow house. With a light colored blue you will insure your house looks more tasteful than your brash neighbor. Blues get out of hand really easily (which is what likely happened to your neighbor) So it is essential to sample. Paint at least a 4'x4' sample where the siding meets the trim. Tape up some newspaper around it so that you can see the color unaffected by the existing color.
Keep the trim white but use a warm white instead of a white white. Do all the trim and the fence in this white.
The house can be blue and pleasing to you and look special and unique while blending in. So stick to your instincts. Good luck
February 22, 2013 at 9:12AM     
sharpkl
The colors in this house are great. Notice the garish fences below. Not obtrusive but still blend color wise.
February 22, 2013 at 4:27PM   
sharpkl
Grayish
February 22, 2013 at 4:27PM   
fbmbirds
I just wanted to let everyone know that my Louvered Project will be started today. I will post pics as soon as its done.
February 28, 2013 at 3:28AM     
fbmbirds
Alright So here is a quick Pic of the project. And you have to remember I am not currently there right now and my wife is the one making all the moves. Im currenlty half way around the world.
March 1, 2013 at 12:31AM     
Vivian Rase
The first blue you posted was beautiful and on my screen reads quite different from the one next to you. Please...NO black shutters. This house looks beachy and black shutters would detract from that vibe
March 1, 2013 at 2:15AM     
fbmbirds
Yea im gonna hold off on the shutters. but the blue i think i wanted in the start was like this house Daniel Island

but after some thinking i think this is the color im trying to go for, Split level coastal

its a lighter shade.
March 1, 2013 at 3:10AM     
prettynfabulous
lighter blue is nice
March 1, 2013 at 6:54AM   
fbmbirds
Yea im considering the light blue or a light green for the house. Waiting on my New roof to get installed in a week or 2. Then will go from there.

I will post new pics of the finished Louverd Wall
March 2, 2013 at 12:17AM     
prettynfabulous
What color are you going to paint the louvers? White or tan like in those pics you just posted.
March 2, 2013 at 9:00AM     
fbmbirds
Ok so here is the finished Product. I still need to figure out a color to paint the louvers including the front and gate. Also need to figure out what color to paint the fence. But its comings along.
March 2, 2013 at 8:44PM     
prettynfabulous
It looks so much better with the louvers. I think the louvers should be painted white, not to sure on what color you would paint the fence.
March 2, 2013 at 8:48PM   
fbmbirds
Looking forward to getting my new windows and Roof installed next
March 2, 2013 at 11:02PM   
fbmbirds
Here is another close up shot of the finished product atleast on the left side of the house.

Looking forward to cleaning up the cables and getting things painted.
March 2, 2013 at 11:13PM     
decoenthusiaste
Green is good, as I've always thought. Do use white on the trim and louvers.
March 3, 2013 at 4:15AM     
Vivian Rase
It turned out lovely
March 3, 2013 at 4:57AM   
fbmbirds
Ill post Pictures when my new Windows and Roof get installed.

Im also waiting on a quote for louvers on the right side of my house to replace the lattice thats inside the fence.

I will keep you all posted.
March 3, 2013 at 5:21AM   
fbmbirds
Also my wife hacked that big bush in the front of my house. I think once the stairs get some paint on them and the flower bed fixed up a little the front is going to look nice.
March 4, 2013 at 3:44AM     
DIAspoton
corasl , lavender or periwinkle. all with white trim
March 4, 2013 at 4:23AM   
Chroma Natrix
Wow, you get things done! It's looking good. I definitely vote white on the fence to match the louvers and remaining trim.
March 4, 2013 at 9:26AM   
fbmbirds
My question is how much more of a hassel will it be to keep the paint up on the fence vs just staining it?

I dont want to have to paint the fence every other year or something because the white is peeling or looking faded.
March 5, 2013 at 3:01AM   
Jeanne
Simply said, I absolutely LOVE the color of your home. I'm not sure why anyone would paint their home/cottage a bright or pastel color, like something out of a candy dish. I am from Wisconsin and am all about classic, timeless colors...greens and greys. If you feel you need to paint your home I would suggest a dusty medium grey or a green/grey. Add color to your home by planters of brightly colored flowers on your decks. Your home has a very sophistocated look - stick with it.
March 5, 2013 at 7:52AM   
kimdee24
I used Behr Fence and Siding Solid Color stain (white) on my fence and I think I repainted once in ten years. It's a vertical surface so fences tend to hold up better than flat surfaces like decks and stairs.
March 5, 2013 at 8:08AM   
fbmbirds
Yea i think im gonna really hold off and worry about the paint color when the house really needs it. Right now im only concerned on the new things thats going to add to the house like a new roof and new windows.

Also i just got a quote from my builder for the louvers for the rest of the underside of the house and I think they are going to start tomorrow.

Ill post pics of the finished project. Cant wait.
March 5, 2013 at 11:04PM   
fbmbirds
I am going to add a fresh coat of paint to the decks and stain the floor boards. Figure out a plan for the Landscaping but all in all its coming together.
March 5, 2013 at 11:05PM   
fbmbirds
So here are a few more pics of the current Project.
March 9, 2013 at 12:40AM     
prettynfabulous
You going to paint that ceiling? Looks like everything is coming together. You have a lot of painting to do you must have your hands full. The louvers do make it look more complete.
March 9, 2013 at 7:13AM     
fbmbirds
Yes the celing is going to get a fresh coat of paint and some new lights. Plus all the louvers will be painted. Here are some morning pics.
March 9, 2013 at 7:16AM   
Vivian Rase
I want to be there NOW.
March 9, 2013 at 7:33AM   
fbmbirds
I want to be there also but will not be able to until AUG
March 10, 2013 at 8:33AM   
fbmbirds
Here are the most current pics of the louvers. about 90% done.

V/R

Coty
March 12, 2013 at 1:20AM     
fbmbirds
Now as for the opening in the back and side i was thinking about setting up some sort of outdoor curtian that will be held back most of the time but able to close when maxium privacy is needed. Ideas?

Coty
March 12, 2013 at 1:29AM   
prettynfabulous
It looks amazing wow. The louvers line up really well with each other too when can we see pics of the louvers painted white? Im sure that will make a load of difference.
March 12, 2013 at 7:38AM   
sharpkl
FYI
March 12, 2013 at 4:28PM     
fbmbirds
^^^ Yes ive added that to my idea book. I do really love the color theme of those homes.
March 12, 2013 at 10:32PM   
fbmbirds
Alight so here is the finished product that still needs to be painted.
March 13, 2013 at 12:30AM     
fbmbirds
Here are the before Pictures to just compair.
March 13, 2013 at 12:33AM     
fbmbirds
Atleat now i will have a little more protection from the elements and have some nice privacy.
March 13, 2013 at 12:34AM     
prettynfabulous
WOW What a difference. Once that is painted that will really look complete. Your back yard looks so relaxing with how the trees are.
March 13, 2013 at 6:05AM     
fbmbirds
Yep its coming along. Need to plan some grass but all in all Im looking forward to summer
March 14, 2013 at 3:48AM     
fbmbirds
So i just got the roof finished.
Please tell me what you think
March 19, 2013 at 10:56PM     
Vivian Rase
You don't waste time do you? Looks awesome. Now I'm curious about the interior....any plans?
March 20, 2013 at 12:53AM   
Sandra Burndred
looks great. well done.
March 20, 2013 at 2:34AM   
fbmbirds
But yea i think im gonna pull the trigger on the Weathered Mist DCL030 or Sullivans Island DCL019 For the house color. http://duron.com/products/collections/color_palettes/color_palettes.asp?id=3
Its a Carolina Lowcountry Collection Paint Color.
March 20, 2013 at 2:48AM   
fbmbirds
Ok here is more pics these really show the true nature of the house.
March 20, 2013 at 6:26AM     
prettynfabulous
I love the roof. Your house truely looks amazing and your house really stands out now. What all are you planning to still do?
March 20, 2013 at 7:04AM   
fbmbirds
Well i talked it over with the wife and we decided once the windows are installed we are going to maybe wait a few weeks and then get the house painted. Once the house is painted there is only little thing to do until we get the place to our standards.
March 21, 2013 at 12:59AM     
Vivian Rase
I don't know if you have defintively chosen your new color, but this is my favorite beachy look ever for your consideration.
March 21, 2013 at 6:03AM     
fbmbirds
^^ whats teh color called?
March 21, 2013 at 8:34AM   
Vivian Rase
I know off the top of my head that the shutters are sherwinn williams wyeth blue. Let me see what I can find about the house color.
March 21, 2013 at 8:48AM   
fbmbirds
I just dont know if that color siding will look right with the style of siding i have.
March 23, 2013 at 4:06AM   
fbmbirds
So yea im thinking of going Duration by SW paint color Rainwashed.
March 24, 2013 at 6:16AM     
prettynfabulous
Duration is a good brand it will last longer versus cheaper brands. As long as you are paying professionals you are paying for labor it is much better to go with a brand that will last longer, so you get years out of your paint since you are paying the same amount of labor no matter what. Rainwashed is a real pretty color. I think its a great color to chose with the color roof you chose and your neighbors colors. You def dont want a real bright color, so you are not known as that house with the crazy color. What color are you doing your floor boards? Have you chosen a color for your louvers? I remember you said about painting them a different color besides white. Its looking good so far.
March 24, 2013 at 10:01AM     
fbmbirds
Yes i just wish there were more pictures of homes that are Rainwashed colored. Take this picture for example.

I just love the look of that color beside the white trim. I think its gonna make my house look calm vs the bland color it is now.
March 25, 2013 at 2:47AM   
fbmbirds
So my house is gonna be painted in under a month,

I cannot decide what paint to pick.

I got it down to a light blue green color.
http://www.materials-world.com/paint-colors/sherwin_williams/fundamentally_neutral/sw_neutral_07.htm
http://www.materials-world.com/paint-colors/sherwin_williams/color_options/sw_color_options_06.htm

Im thinking either Rainwashed or Tidewater Below is a compairson between the two
http://www.youstirme.com/2011/01/craft-room-update.html

V/R

Coty Lake
April 7, 2013 at 6:41AM   
rredpenn
Great job so far! Louvers and the roof have made a huge difference. I love the inspiration photo you posted... go for it!
April 7, 2013 at 7:05AM   
fbmbirds
gonna get the wife to go out and get several samples and test it out before we decide on the finial color
April 7, 2013 at 8:33AM   
fbmbirds
OK ladies and Gentalmen. Here are 10 colors on my house please help me choose. I will let you know which color is which once i get some input.
April 7, 2013 at 11:09AM   
libradesigneye
Top row, center blue-green, four in from left. Has enough heft to stand up to the street, shame the neon house one over into feeling gaudy, be the gorgeous place you envisioned all along. Second choice top row end right, color but muted to a beach weathered feeling. All others too white or too light to be effective on a large elevation.
April 7, 2013 at 11:17AM   
fbmbirds
Well i will let you know that Rainwashed is middle bottom color.
April 7, 2013 at 11:20AM   
Chroma Natrix
Color Top Row fourth from left could look like this:
April 7, 2013 at 11:04PM   
Chroma Natrix
Color Top Row Far Right:
April 7, 2013 at 11:04PM   
Chroma Natrix
Color Bottom Row Far Right:
April 7, 2013 at 11:06PM   
Chroma Natrix
These are all very light fresh colors. My experience is that most colors put on the wall look lighter and more pure than people expect. The top Row Center and Bottom Right are very similiar with the bottom right just a bit more green. This is the three next to one another
April 7, 2013 at 11:22PM   
fbmbirds
Yea im starting to go towards Tradewind or Tidewater.
April 7, 2013 at 11:30PM   
Chroma Natrix
This is the one from bottom row center.... Rainwashed?
April 7, 2013 at 11:33PM   
Chroma Natrix
I thought that would be more blue
April 7, 2013 at 11:34PM   
Chroma Natrix
I took a screen shot of the "Rainwashed swatch" from the website in your link. Paint colors can look very different on the wall than on location. This is the comparison with your photo. When you said it was the bottom center color, I was surprised it was so neutral. Maybe the yellow house next door is reflecting to make things look more yellow? hmmm?
April 8, 2013 at 12:04AM   
Chroma Natrix
You have to go with what looks good onsite. I'd paint a bigger section with only white trim around it. The surrounding colors affect your perception of the color. In the following example, each center box is the color "rainwashed", but we perceive them differently due to the surrounding colors (see Josef Albers' studies).
April 8, 2013 at 12:24AM     
Chroma Natrix
They are also the same size....
April 8, 2013 at 12:30AM     
libradesigneye
Colors that work in rooms must be amped up / go darker a few shades to work on a large house expanse. Rainwashed is proven indoors, but is too light to be more than a pastel in the sunlight. It takes much stronger color to look like a mid tone outdoors. All of these will look pastel when done. This time I looked, top right is my fave. The greyed color will also read better on a large expanse rather than the primaries some neighbors tried. Good luck - this is fun to kibbitz with all of you - regulars will be back with more in am.
April 8, 2013 at 12:35AM   
fbmbirds
Yea the wife is going to spread the colors out i just wanted an idea of them side by side.
April 8, 2013 at 1:15AM   
fbmbirds
Here is a picture that my wife just did.
April 8, 2013 at 7:07AM   
fbmbirds
Here is one with the names
April 8, 2013 at 7:13AM   
fbmbirds
Here is one more.
April 8, 2013 at 8:00AM   
prettynfabulous
i think tradewind and rain is nice
April 8, 2013 at 8:58AM   
fbmbirds
OK here at the 4 remaining colors we picked. From left to right Waterscape, Tradewind, Quietude and Tidewater.

V/R
Coty Lake
April 9, 2013 at 8:44AM   
prettynfabulous
i like tidewater but waterscape looks nice too.
April 9, 2013 at 11:08AM   
PRO
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
Quietude
April 9, 2013 at 12:19PM   
fbmbirds
here are 2 more colors on a larger surface.

Waterscape and Tidewater
April 10, 2013 at 12:06AM   
fbmbirds
Ive asked my wife to paint the entire wall to the left of the door Quietude... Will see. She is getting tired of me asking for more walls painted.
April 10, 2013 at 3:04AM     
mrsmacspies
Quietude is my top choice... Love them all thou!
April 10, 2013 at 4:33AM   
fbmbirds
Well she is going to paint over the waterscape with Quietude and then rainwashed to the left of the door.
April 10, 2013 at 4:50AM   
prettynfabulous
i think that tidewater color is beachy and would be perfect.
April 10, 2013 at 9:35AM     
fbmbirds
OK so here are the finished colors.

Rainwashed, Quietude and Tidewater,

My next door neighbors house is painted PoolSide Blue http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/poolsideblue?bcsi-ac-629f256649b31c08=207DD6A100000104LxqpCg+LuYKIfCiqeoveEZnhs8sDAAAABAEAAKWgAAAgHAAAAAAAAMkIAAA=
April 10, 2013 at 10:06AM   
fbmbirds
The wife is also picking Tidewater. but i still cant pick
April 10, 2013 at 10:07AM   
Chroma Natrix
You have a very patient wife :-).... tidewater has more blue making it closer to the neighbor's blue hue than either Rainwashed or quietude, so i'd choose one of those.
April 10, 2013 at 11:11AM   
Chroma Natrix
Rainwashed if you want the low contrast, very light look. Quietude will have a bit more contrast if you want more of the details of your trim and louvers etc. to show.
April 10, 2013 at 11:13AM   
fbmbirds
IDK if these pictures help but we also tested out watery and it seems to have a good contrast.

Watery is to the Left
April 12, 2013 at 3:43AM     
prettynfabulous
I think your silver roof would go with either colors on the outside and they are beachy. The darker green in the middle just seems to dark and not beachy. The lighter colors would make your house look more elegant. There would be contrast with the white too because you can see how it pops out beside the lighter colors on the outside. So I like Watery and Tide Blue.
April 12, 2013 at 4:43AM   
fbmbirds
Hello,

The color is TIdewater and Watery Not TIDE BLUE
April 12, 2013 at 6:12AM   
Vivian Rase
tidewater is my fave, but it's all about personal choice
April 12, 2013 at 6:57AM     
fbmbirds
So im leaving it up to my wife to decide on the color.

I think she is going Tidewater or Watery.
April 20, 2013 at 1:38AM   
pattiegoode
I think it would be more helpful to paint a sample on the outside in full sun rather than under cover. Have you considered painting the louvers the house color rather than trim color? I think that would help give you the continuity you said you were after. Either way, I would love this house! lol Another bold choice would be white. White house, white trim, white windows, silver roof, and then an accent color for things you really want to accent, like the front door and maybe the handrail leading up to the front entry.
April 20, 2013 at 3:46AM   
fbmbirds
Well I let the wife decide on the color and the house is currently getting painted tidewater. Looking forward to seeing it myself come this friday.
May 28, 2013 at 6:13AM     
fbmbirds
here a picture of the first coat and the color of stain i picked for the decks.
May 28, 2013 at 6:15AM     
Vivian Rase
nice!
May 28, 2013 at 6:22AM   
fbmbirds
they still have to do a 2nd coat and then touch up all the trim. Plus the deck stain makes the decks look 100% differant.
May 28, 2013 at 6:32AM     
pattiegoode
Can't wait to see the best picture of this thread yet: you with your wife in the front yard! Thanks for serving & I hope you have a wonderful rest of your life!
May 28, 2013 at 12:06PM   
fbmbirds
Once I get home i will take several pictures. She redid the driveway with bricks and outlined the flowerbeds. I will have pictures up this Weekend.
May 29, 2013 at 2:35AM     
mefor
Can't wait to see, I've been following this thread for a while. I love the way you've updated things so far. Your wife is to be commended. She sounds like a trooper!! Keep up the home front mrs.fbmbirds!!!
May 29, 2013 at 2:45AM     
fbmbirds
The last step will be trying to pick a color for the louvers. I want to change the color from white to a darker more down to earth color to help give the house some sort of a base. i was thinking of a light brown/tanish color sorta like aged cobblestone DCR 113 or Quill DCR 102 http://www.duron.com/builders/color/color_palettes.asp?id=4
May 29, 2013 at 4:25AM     
prettynfabulous
Excited to see new pictures too. I bet both of you are glad the most of the work is done I like the colors you two have chosen.
May 29, 2013 at 6:22AM     
fbmbirds
sorry for no updates but my wife and myself are working non stop on this house.
June 18, 2013 at 3:25PM   
mefor
Welcome home!! Glad you're home, and glad mrs. fbmbirds has her hubby and her helper here, lol :)
June 18, 2013 at 3:29PM   
fbmbirds
Yes we have been working non stop on getting this house finished up for the summer. the next and basically final thing is figuring out a color for our louvers. we are thinking a slate/blackish color.

Also i spent a few days on the front louvers so they now open outward and i can use that area under th house for parking
June 18, 2013 at 7:16PM   
mefor
Like the slate color idea, will help to ground house, don't make it too black, might look like house is "floating" :)
June 19, 2013 at 3:02AM   
Chroma Natrix
charcoal
June 19, 2013 at 9:22AM   
Chroma Natrix
mid value grey
June 19, 2013 at 9:27AM   
Chroma Natrix
grey had too much brown... monitor difference.
June 19, 2013 at 9:36AM     
Chroma Natrix
with white
June 19, 2013 at 9:37AM     
Chroma Natrix
This is with a grey that is sort of a grey version of the house color.
June 19, 2013 at 9:41AM     
Chroma Natrix
My opinion is that the charcoal or slate black would be too dark for the low-contrast choices you made by using tidewater with white trim for the rest of the house, and being the main point of contrast, the boundary between the house and the louvers (floor line) would become the focal point of your house.
June 19, 2013 at 9:48AM     
Chroma Natrix
How about painting the risers on the stairs to bring the eye from the ground up to the main level of the house and unify the space?
June 19, 2013 at 1:54PM     
Chroma Natrix
A trellis at top of stairs might make the space more inviting. Paint a shade darker just behind it to add dimension. I found these at elegantarbors.com.
June 19, 2013 at 2:05PM     
handymam
Darn! thought I would check in here and see a finished house today, lol!
June 19, 2013 at 2:15PM     
Chroma Natrix
or maybe introduce some other colors?
June 19, 2013 at 2:16PM   
mefor
Looks like they're getting there though! :)
June 19, 2013 at 2:16PM   
handymam
Don't be so sure mforr, lol.
June 19, 2013 at 2:18PM     
mefor
Well, if I got thru mine, they'll get thru theirs. Mrs fbmbirds is a hard working gal, look how much she got accomplished on her own.
June 19, 2013 at 2:28PM     
fbmbirds
I will try and get some up to date pics of the house as it is right now tomorrow.
June 19, 2013 at 7:01PM     
craljh
I love the color you chose
June 19, 2013 at 9:02PM   
rredpenn
Congrats on the exterior re-do! I love it! Please post pic(s) of the house from the perspective originally presented here, with the neighboring houses, so we can see how your place "shines" from the street! Also wanted to see how the driveway is turning out! Been following this since day one, and I'm very grateful for your louver idea. We will be doing that someday to our "underdeck". Cheers!
June 21, 2013 at 6:03AM     
fbmbirds
so the project continues. Im thinking about extending that top balcony 3-4ft out and then trying to screen in the bottom deck. ideas? I still need to take some pics, its been work.
July 14, 2013 at 8:05PM     
mefor
Do you need to? Is there a lot of sitting out on that level? If not, it seems like a lot of expense to go to. Unless its something you'll use all the time it doesn't seem worth the effort. If its where your best view is and you will use it all the time, then it's totally worth it to stay away from bugs.
July 15, 2013 at 2:46AM   
Vivian Rase
Your house is so amazing. You have done a lovely job and should be proud of all your hard work.

My advice about extending the porch and screening in the other would be to stay in the house for awhile and see how you use those spaces. You may find they work nicely as is. I don't know if you are directly on the beach or not but my experience with beach property is that screens aren't usually necessary. The ocean breeze takes care of bugs.
July 15, 2013 at 5:42AM     
mefor
Vivian is right, if you are oceanfront, not buggy. I have a house three blocks from beach. Also near a large pond, very buggy!!
July 15, 2013 at 8:23AM   
fbmbirds
Im not worried about bugs i just want to have more usable space and i just think screening that bottom part in would make alot of sense since there are 3 walls already in place, So all i would need to do is screen in the front and be good.
July 19, 2013 at 6:26PM     
fbmbirds
I was also thinking once the top deck gets extended out 4-5ft building a pergola.
July 19, 2013 at 6:39PM     
craljh
a sleeping porch would be fun. Go ahead and screen.
July 19, 2013 at 7:12PM     
fbmbirds
Ive been really thinking about turning that lower front deck into a four seasons room. Im just crammed for space since my house is only 1500 square feet and i really dont have a dinning room. I just figured if i could turn that deck into a extra room it would benefit me more than i can express. Im currently in the process of getting some quotes.
July 19, 2013 at 8:42PM     
fbmbirds
the area i would gain would be around 100 square foot.
July 19, 2013 at 8:42PM     
mefor
That sounds like a better idea, love the four seasons room and definitely love the pergola on top deck, not only more usable space but good for adding a little extra architectural detailing to the whole facade of house. :)
July 20, 2013 at 8:59AM        Thanked by fbmbirds
fbmbirds
So i got some quotes for the deck ranging for 600-1600 bucks. really considering just extending it myself.
August 4, 2013 at 4:33PM   
judianna20
Yes, white and more white. Why try to beat the dead horse?

August 4, 2013 at 4:37PM   
fbmbirds
So i bought some Urban Bronze by SW to paint my louvers.

I will post pics once finished.
August 6, 2013 at 2:17PM     
fbmbirds
I know ive been lacking in pictures and there will be some coming soon.
I wanted to let everyone know i finally got the top deck extended and it looks great. Pictures coming soon
August 21, 2013 at 3:41PM     
fbmbirds
Here are some finished pictures of the deck exteneded. Still need to paint and touch up.
August 21, 2013 at 4:13PM     
mefor
I love the extended deck, looks like it belongs. Can I just ask why are you painting the louvers in bronze? Won't it just look like there's nothing there? Just shadows?
August 21, 2013 at 5:21PM   
fbmbirds
I wanted to test it out and see what it will look like. Hopefully it doesnt look like shadows once finished. I will post pictures once its started.
August 21, 2013 at 5:39PM     
prettynfabulous
House is looking great. What are your future projects you are planning to do?
August 22, 2013 at 7:34PM   
fbmbirds
I was thinking about getting few palm trees for the front on each side of the drive way and then possibly redoing the stone for the drive way.
August 29, 2013 at 12:52PM     
mefor
Have you painted the louvers yet?
August 29, 2013 at 1:08PM   
mefor
These are SW bronze and black bean.
August 29, 2013 at 4:37PM   
fbmbirds
Its been raining alot lately so i haven't even got around to painting anything. Pics once i start.
August 29, 2013 at 5:35PM     
fbmbirds
So Its been like months since Ive got on the site and made any updates. Today I felt the need to at least post a few pics of the slow progress we have made.
December 12, 2013 at 12:23PM     
fbmbirds
we were testing some colors for around the doors and will be changing that back to white.
December 12, 2013 at 12:25PM     
prettynfabulous
I like the dark louvers and the palm trees. The stone in the driveway is a big difference too. Looks like you have accomplished a lot.
December 12, 2013 at 12:27PM      Thanked by fbmbirds
prettynfabulous
Have you thought about adding any color to your house to give it some contrast? Maybe burgundy or a peach? I think yellow would be too much. I love your house it is so beachy.. Your flower beds look way better then in the before pictures looks like you aren't finished yet with them. You must always be working on your house. It is amazing how much you and your wife have done too your house since the first pictures you posted. You def updated the appearance of your house. Absolutely beautiful and amazing. I just love everything you have done. Wish it was my house!! Are there any more improvements in your houses future that I can look forward to seeing?
December 22, 2013 at 3:28PM   
fbmbirds
I plan on doing some more work this summer. for the time being I am taking a break
January 16, 2014 at 10:27AM   
fbmbirds
Here are a few newer pics, I decided I wanted a little bit more out of the front deck. This was the first time ive ever built a deck.
August 19, 2014 at 6:21AM