Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need kitchen help!
kelcha
September 13, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Im going to re-do this kitchen... Which look will look better in here? Grey cabinets or white? Also, I was thinking of adding the trim to get rid of the gap? San Jose Res 2 or Mill Valley Classic Cottage Should I just get all new cabinets because I would like to have some of the cabinets with these designs: Cutting Board

Rev-A-Shelf Wood Trimmable Knife Block Drawer Insert

Formal white kitchen with blue island - Mullet Cabinet 1

Formal white kitchen with blue island - Mullet Cabinet 2

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anitajoyce
Nice kitchen. What color are the cabinets? They look white in the picture. I would paint them white anyway. They look to be in really great shape. And yes I love the idea of the trim to balance the upper cabinets and for uniformity. Both pictures are nice which makes it hard to choose . Lovely floors also. Maybe grey color in the counter tops and a painted grey island. I do like the round light fixture best. Will you be replacing the backsplash? If so you can add a few grey tiles mixed in with white tiles.
1 Like   September 13, 2012 at 5:37PM
Roxanne
I have about the same color cabinets as you, and am really considering painting them white...I think it would look great!
0 Likes   September 13, 2012 at 5:40PM
decoenthusiaste
Be sure to check out rustoleumtransformations.com before you make the final decision.
0 Likes   September 14, 2012 at 9:00AM
charleee
I love my white painted cabinets! People say they are harder to keep clean, but I don't find that to be true at all. What I find is that it's easier to see the dirt, I clean it right away, and in that way I think they stay cleaner!
4 Likes   September 14, 2012 at 9:04AM
PRO
City Cabinet Center, San Diego
I see your current sink base has false panel drawer faces. Most likely you will not be able to get tilt out trays unless you change that cabinet. For the trash pullout, you can find after market trash pullouts from rev-a-shelf for different size base cabinets. You will be able to find 1 and 2 can pull outs for almost any size base cabinet. The most popular size to install a dual trash pull out insert is in an 18 inch base cabinet. As for the cutlery inserts, I don't have much experience in adding after market ones, but I'm sure any good wood worker could make a custom one for you. Most every semi-custom order line of cabinetry will be able to provide you with those cabinets (tilt out trays for the sink base, trash pull-outs and cutlery inserts). If you have the budget for a new kitchen, I suggest to go to your local cabinet shop and check out which manufacturers they carry. If you have any questions about the Masterbrand family or American Woodmark family of cabinetry, I'd be happy to answer questions.
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 2:19PM
stacygriffin3
I would say paint the top cabinets white and the bottom ones grey but then your appliances would stand out in contrast. So maybe paint just the island grey. And if I'm correct in seeing that your counter-tops are green, they will stand out even more so after painting everything white. Hope you're okay with that unless you plan to change that aspect too. But it can be workable. Would be interesting to see your "after" shots.
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 2:30PM
PRO
Coastal Distressed Furniture & More!
I would distress the kitchen cabinets with soft green undertones and old white. Give it and aged cottage feel Adding a little green to incorporate the color of the island. I would then add a nice glass tile back-splash inclusive to beige, old white and a soft green to bring it all together, While making it all cohesive. Up cycling is now all the rage!! If the cabinets are solid wood and you like them, them just giving them an update will save you some money and transform your kitchen to the kitchen you always wanted. Pssss.. also add some kitchen curtains and some fun towels and stool covers to make it all come together and feel like like home. Just my thoughts...
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 3:11PM
Bonnie Paulin
Get rid of the cabinets! Go all the way to the ceiling, YES! Choose med to dark (no red) brown for the bottom cabs and off white for the upper and island. Neutral colors, neutral colors! Beautiful natural granite (NO COLOR like the green) Color gets dated too quickly and you will want to change it in 5-6 years. Stay neutral, I can't say it enough. Accessorize with color. If in the budget, Stainless is a much cleaner and professional look.
1 Like   November 9, 2012 at 3:15PM
Bonnie Paulin
Oh and if you can, move the stove away from the sink, its too close. Enlarge the island and put it there. Keep the gas of course.
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 3:17PM
Bonnie Paulin
Counter depth fridge!
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 3:18PM
annied01
i would keep the cabinets, maybe lighten them and change the counters. Repanel the back of the island with trim for added texture and add a wine cooler on the end, (or a recipe book and wine rack if you can't run power there through the floor) then extend the couter over that. Also, change the light fixture over the island to pendant style and give the kitchen a more interesting backsplash. I'm not sure about the dark window frames but unless you're attached to that colour i would lighten them up with paint to match the lighter cabinets. I like the idea of the island being a different colour since the kitchen is big enough.
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 3:51PM
drdfox2
At first I thought these cabinets were white but....I think they are white washed cherry. If so... I really like the countertop/cabinet combination. The appliances however should not be white. Stainless might be a better choice and yes perhaps a gray colored island (instead of white) would be a good color for the island. I also agree that some curtains or blinds to accent the beautiful color of the countertops would pull it all together.
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 3:54PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
didnt read the above, ...whats your budget..kitchens can get costly to do over. are you keeping the counter tops
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 4:04PM
tambela
I actually like the white cabinets and the blue counters. However you need something to pull them together better. Like a glass tiles in white and various shades of the blue. Paint the window frames white and add some pretty boxy type window valances. Keep it modern and fun.
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 4:19PM
annied01
And another thing i would definitely do is update the cupboard handles. We changed them, the sink and the faucet in our kitchen and it made a huge difference. The two windows not matching also slipped my attention... plus definitely lose the microwave and put in a decent extractor fan. You might close the space above the cupboards right up to the ceiling though, it would look neater and make one less place for dirt to gather...
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 6:01PM
kelcha
Excellent comments! This gives be lots of options. I am definitely getting rid of the counter tops, painting the cabinets and changing the knobs, and getting stainless steel appliances. If I can afford it, I would love to change the stove and make the island larger. I will have to look into how much it would cost.
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 6:54PM
annied01
i would change the kitchen and wait til the appliances, which look fairly recent, start giving up the ghost bfore changing them. Spend the money on the bones, the fridge and stove can wait....
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 6:58PM
Gayla Miles
Just change the countertops and add new handles and even I would spend the money on new appliances and a couple more substantial barstools and a new rectangular light above the island.
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 8:08PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
just know that whatever you do will cost MORE than expected, I would not replace the cabinets unless I were willing to spend 20 thousand or more.
consider this: replacing the counter top......1) the counter top 2) might as well get a sink 3) oh...need a new faucet 4) oh....disposal 5) backsplash........
all those choices and cost come running to you for $$$$
My suggestion is decide what you are willing to invest! then decide what to do...based on 'what are you trying to achieve?
0 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 8:53AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
just know that whatever you do will cost MORE than expected, I would not replace the cabinets unless I were willing to spend 20 thousand or more.
consider this: replacing the counter top......1) the counter top 2) might as well get a sink 3) oh...need a new faucet 4) oh....disposal 5) backsplash........
all those choices and cost come running to you for $$$$
My suggestion is decide what you are willing to invest! then decide what to do...based on 'what are you trying to achieve?
0 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 8:53AM
Natalie
Here are some examples for you---showing white cabs (gray island in last pic) with wood floor in your wood tone. I would use what you have-add trim to ceiling. All of your appliances should not be on one wall---move your stove if possible...Definitely extend the island and add lights under the upper cabs. Glass tile or ceramic would be best for the look you're after. As for counters-seems as though you're in favor of carrara marble---if so then do educate yourself about the pros and cons---if you cook a lot or have little ones, you may want to consider an alternative such as granite, quartz, or a laminate (if budget is tight).
Hope this is helpful info. Good Luck!

[houzz=
1 Like   November 10, 2012 at 10:57AM