Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Quebec cottage 60 years young!
Eve Millington
September 23, 2012 in Before & After
bedroom decluttered and new night stands, drywall, linens, headboard still to be added..this room has a Quebec fleur de lis motif to honour its location
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Emily Hurley
Oh what a beautiful space you created! Looks so peaceful.
1 Like   November 16, 2012 at 3:33PM
armarcounselling
Tres bon. Very nice.
1 Like   November 16, 2012 at 3:46PM
Eve Millington
Thank you! Merci! It's been a labour of love and still a work in progress. My family is excited about the transformation too! The floors are dark stained wide red pine planks and I've decided to paint a dark blue wall behind the bed. One can see the stark white wall through the picture window right across the lake as it reflects the afternoon sun!
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 3:57PM
rebk4
Great job. Anyone could relax in that room.
1 Like   November 16, 2012 at 6:57PM
Karen
Fabulous job!
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 8:15PM
inkwitch
Lovely! How peaceful and relaxing. White linens are so underrated, but they are wonderful.
1 Like   November 17, 2012 at 5:06AM
dcer
Very calm and peaceful. Great job!
0 Likes   November 17, 2012 at 11:29AM
pattihp
I like it! What if you were to remove those small frames from the wall and rather than a headboard, do a bead board about 3/4 of the way up the wall with some trim at the top of it to create a sort of faux headboard, thus adding texture and interest but not taking up any precious real estate in this small bedroom. Pop some big pillows in behind the white ones and add a hit of colour to the room with an additional cushion. Maybe navy & white broad stripes for the big pillows and a monogramed cushion out front. Some hits of yellow would be pretty in here too.
3 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 6:22AM
Eve Millington
Thanks Pattihp. The room is really a work in progress. If you saw the rest of the room, you'd see where I'm really at. I love beadboard but it's not where I'm going with this room. The all white scheme is a bit too stark, in spite of dark wood floors and exposed wood beams overhead. I'm sticking to my homage to Quebec theme and hence a dark blue accent wall will be a backdrop to a white sculpted headboard, offset by large blue pillows which I'll plant behind the current ones. The fleur de lis motif isn't really obvious in the photo, but it is there and I've hung a vintage mirror on an adjacent wall with wrought iron doors and the same motif. If I get it finished next summer, I will post more photos. I've got several other details to finish at the cottage so it isn't my top priority. Since I live on the west coast and the cottage is 3000 miles away, I only get to spend a month of quality (read reno) time each year. Once hubby retires in a few years, we'll head out there for longer periods. Meanwhile it's a very comfy, restful space with an amazing lakeview to greet us every morning! Cheers!
2 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 8:07AM
pg1545
Nice work!
0 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 7:00PM
PRO
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
White can instill quiet calm - I love my white bedding - crawling into cool, crisp sheets - ahhh! Did read the above text and your ideas sound wonderful - Am glad to know you have a month of rest - great view and cozy cottage comfort!
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 2:45PM
Eve Millington
Very nice work Paradise Restored L & E D!
Here's the rest of the project...a humble abode but oh so lovely and filled with many years of family memories....

0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 4:31PM
seabeewyfe
OHHH What an inspiration! Great job on this! Looks SO fresh and clean!
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 5:57PM
nancyliw
much more better ! sleep well ﹋∪﹋
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 6:53PM
PRO
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
Eve - U R AMAZING! (Wonder woman?) One month - wasn't that it? I'll have to go back and check . . . Guess before when I was thrilled you had one month a year to rest, I was totally mistaken - YOU DON'T REST! (from the look of things!) Like your custom hutch, your tweaks for more room via tear down, your couch bonfires - especially love your decks/ideas . . you are certainly a go-getter. Guess that's what I like about you - best to you in this lovely cottage!
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 12:36PM
Eve Millington
I must confess...we did the knock down in summer 2011 and my hubby and son helped as it was a big dirty job. I hired a local contractor to do the drywall after we left, but it was not finished so I went back early this year and spent 5 weeks putting in very long days to get it where it is now. Hubby joined me in the middle three weeks but he had more RnR in mind. It's very much my baby so I'm in the thick of it. I come from a hands-on background and I do love the creative aspects of it. My hubby says our home is my canvas and I guess this will be an intimate extension of that. Already looking forward to next summer and tackling it again. Don't tell my adult kids that they may run into a paint brush here and a hammer there when they come later on. :) PS: Thank you for your kind words Paradise Restored. I won't be working quite as long days next summer. My 55 year old back can't handle 18 hour days like it used to!
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 4:49PM