Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Which hood range should I go for?
corina313
September 24, 2012 in Polls
I'm going to remodel my kitchen and its not that big. i had my mind set on a microwave over range but do do the wonderful advice on HOUZZ i changed my mind. i love the wall mount hoods but my Husbands doesn't really like it. I'm undecided on the hood I like the wood one but I'm afraid. How I'm a heavy cook I feel like the wood will get full of grease? So here are 2 options please help me pick!
Plain stainless steel hood?
A square shape wood?
A pyramid shape wood one? So not the best picture but the is some what of the color of cabinets I want?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Roots and Rafters
Definitely the stainless. If you cook a lot, it will be SO much easier to clean than a built-in wood one. The paint/stain on the wood will eventually have baked-on yellow oil that's impossible to get off. Don't ask me how I know.
September 24, 2012 at 11:38am   
feeny
We are extremely happy with our stainless hood. We've had absolutely no problems, and it looks great. But without a sense of what the rest of your kitchen looks like, I voted only on my personal preference.
September 24, 2012 at 11:45am   
PRO
ct design studio
If you do a lot of cooking that involves oil, you will need to be really careful with the wood hood. Indeed beautiful but like Roots mentioned, the oil+heat can bake on over time. Be sure to choose an hood where the filter can go in the dishwasher-genius.
September 24, 2012 at 12:21pm   
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
Make sure that the cfm is adequate for the range - actually we go on the high side when calculating cfm's for a kitchen. One of the biggest compaints we here is that it is hot around the range and the hood does not work well, particularly if the range is gas.
September 24, 2012 at 12:27pm   
PRO
Reico Kitchen & Bath
I don't think you can go wrong with stainless, especially if you do a lot of cooking....just my personal preference as well!
September 25, 2012 at 6:24am     
4anewhouse
Definately pick the stainless one, but go for a higher cfm- 700-900 because then you don't have to run it at the high setting in order to achieve your goal of odor free cooking - so it will be much quieter than having to blast a small cfm (300-450) in order to move the same amount of air. Also- get the stainless steel baffles- yes they go right into the dishwasher- not the aluminum mesh ones that turn into a clogged mess. So worth it!
November 14, 2012 at 8:52pm     
stacy1061
We just were in the same boat and picked the square wood one. Wish I had read these comments before I went for the "look". Haven't used it yet, as we don't move in until January, but it's too late now. Any advice on how to not ruin it would be greatly appreciated! I never deep fry anything, is normal cooking going to ultimately ruin my wood hood??? I'm so bummed! Can I put something on it to protect the finish?
November 14, 2012 at 10:05pm   
PRO
Christopher James Interiors
Blend it in with the cabinetry
November 14, 2012 at 10:41pm   
lc29
I have a stainless and glass one, ugh, keeping the glass clean is a pain! The stainless part doesn't need to be cleaned near as often. If you do decide on wood, the square one is a more timeless look.
November 14, 2012 at 11:07pm   
PRO
Dytecture
I also voted for stainless steel as it is more of a timeless design.
November 15, 2012 at 6:09am   
Nancy Hehmann
I would get a stainless with chimney. They add more drama. I love mine. It is easy to keep clean. Cavalier make some reasonably priced ones and there are more expensive ones.
November 15, 2012 at 6:19am   
PRO
ct design studio
Stacy1061-I don't know of any products you can use over your finish, perhaps someone else does, however regularly wiping down your hood will really help. I know it sounds obvious but a lot of times homeowners only wipe up the spots they can see, when really the whole thing is covered in food/grease partilces from the air you can't see, until so much is built up and baked on.
November 15, 2012 at 1:08pm     
PRO
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
Go with the stainless - make yourself and hiubby happy!
November 15, 2012 at 1:14pm   
charleee
It may not be practical but the pyramid hood is gorgeous!
November 15, 2012 at 1:18pm   
More Discussions
need help with paint colors
We are doing reno in our basement, and we need some...
Need paint color advice: black ceilings?
My wife and I are buying a foreclosure and having it...
Jesse's kitchen - what kitchen would look good?
I'd love some ideas for a total kitchen refit, some...
What's your best housekeeping tip?
Occasionally my 12 year old daughter will clean the...
LF Something similar to Madison Park "Camilla" Available in Canada
I love this comforter set- but it's only available...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.