powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Remodeled but I am not liking the total look...what needs to be done or changed?
charityscherubs
September 26, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Would like to change the beams on the ceiling...Lights in kitchen...island color...window treatment above sink...we are not done with the backsplash yet.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
loghouse2
Cant tell from the photo if the cabinets are new or not. If they are not, maybe a bright color or creme on them, and on the black beams. There is a lot of brown, and I say that as a log house owner too! (But we have cement caulking, so its all brown and gray.). We ended up painting the window trim creme, and put creme shutters in some rooms. (which you may not want to, looks a bit dark) Keep posting your progress! Good luck!
September 26, 2012 at 8:58am   
Mary Grace
I see a lot of brown color, the cabinets could be brighter.
September 26, 2012 at 9:29am   
nancy612
I would keep the ceiling beams and paint the wood between them white. You can use a warm white, but stay away from creams. Too much yellow to go with the existing wood. The light fixtures are just too clunky. smaller pendants and a non matchy light fixture over the table would be nice. Think air and lines that do not fight with the exposed log walls. You have a lot of horizontal lines in the walls and heavier light fixtures fight the lines. Consider painting the cabinets a lighter, yet still warm color and use chairs that are simpler in shape and style. A simple ticking draped valance over the window above the sink would soften that angle, but it must be kept small, and they are a breeze to make. It would be nice if they worked over all of the windows, but if that is too busy for the space, then pick one window, maybe even the triple window behind the table instead of the kitchen sink. Under cabinet lighting above the dishwasher is a must and can be done without extra wiring if you need, by using low profile battery operated ones. I can't see your other cabinets, but repeat the under cabinet lighting there too. Under cabinet lighting is an often overlooked, yet amazing addition.
I have attached a simple valance in a simple ticking that I made and hung on two dog's head door pulls. This ticking might be a bit large and wide for your space. Also think of a non-patterned valance, perhaps in a fabric with texture to it, stick to a light shade.
September 26, 2012 at 9:31am   
Barbara Aikens
I live in 70s log home too; all wood walls, floor, and ceilings. Before remodeling my kitchen to slab wood cabinets to blend with wood, I antiqued my old cabinets with a mustard paint topped with black antique glaze. I found two antique corner cupboards in heart pine to use as the upper cabinets. This was a nice contrast. But, keep all of the wood - don't paint it! It might hurt your resale value. Also, try bigger brighter artwork. I think log houses need "big" accessories to compete with boldness of logs. Try bigger furniture too if you can afford it.
December 23, 2012 at 6:28am     
PRO
Durpetti Interiors
Yes, more interesting lighting, new dining chairs, need to break up all the wood tones. Black is a great go to color for this. Best of luck!
December 23, 2012 at 6:40am   
Sarah Taylor
Its been 3 months since you updated - what has happened since?
December 23, 2012 at 6:45am   
charleee
That's a lot of wood. I wouldn't paint the cabinets or the walls, but I would paint the table and chairs and I would paint them off-white. If you could add some recessed lighting, you could change the color of the pendants to red, or even light blue to add some color in the room.
December 23, 2012 at 6:47am   
decoenthusiaste
Here's a great little cabin check valance in fern from Country Curtains. They also have ready-made ticking stripes and large buffalo check styles in a nice selection of colors that would work for you.
December 23, 2012 at 6:57am   
PRO
Wood Railing
when you get started outside, take a look at Mountain Laurel Handrails http://awoodrailing.com/2012/12/05/wood-railing-is-best-handrail-for-your-deck/
December 27, 2012 at 9:53pm   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I would not paint any of the logs or beams. I would consider painting the kitchen cabinets a cream with an antique wash. Next, I would add long drapery panels that hang just off the windows against the walls. Hang them from a plain black iron rod as close to the ceiling as possible. Use a fabric with a large pattern and multi-colored - no stripes, (French Provance maybe) This will soften all the hard horizontal lines. Replace dining chairs with upholstered chairs (parsons maybe) to add more fabric to the area and they also can be pulled up to the living room when needed for extra seating. Then add large art work or art groupings with color. Consider using painted furniture (wood pieces). Good luck.
December 29, 2012 at 11:38am   
PRO
LM Designers
I would not paint any of the existing wood. I would get rid of the table and chairs and build in a L shaped window seat with a rectangle table under the corner windows. Putting cushions on the bench seats as well as a valance over the windows you can soften up all the wood with nice fabric. Add large mirrors and artwork. Start with that and see how that looks before painting anything. You could also add a tile backsplash to break up more of the wood.
December 29, 2012 at 11:53am   
PRO
Lisa Lucas Design
Leave the wood and change the furnishings. I have to agree that breaking up all the brown would be good by selecting some deep cream painted furnishings.
December 29, 2012 at 12:02pm   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.