Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Worktop for island
L. Chris
September 26, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I have this kitchen. What material/color you suggest for island worktop?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Elise
Cooks love butcherblock, as it is relatively low maintenance and easy on knives. It ages well and only needs resealing a couple times of year with a quality food grade oil.

September 26, 2012 at 1:43pm     
jennula
My first thought was butcher block also but then saw the only other wood in the kitchen is the window casing soooo if you go with butcher block go with a dark non-toxic stain to bring in the same depth as the window casing we see in the photo - otherwise, I might bring in a black granite and have it honed so it's not super shiney and will accent the backsplash.
September 26, 2012 at 3:30pm     
bethanyd
A beautiful slab of Purpleheart.
mcristescu
Hi there! I would have the same counter top as your counter for a chic style or a warm colour butcher block to give some warmth. Yes it's white...and yes you'll have to clean a lot...but I think with the right lighting and accessories, your kitchen looks stunning! I love it! Congratulations!
jennula
...even a chocolate granite would look good ie. tropic brown however; that granite can vary and tends to have a lot of shapes in it both large and small. Always visit your granite provider and pick the actual slab you will be receiving. Some places even welcome you to choose the parts you like and don't like (of the slab) so they know where to template when ready...
September 26, 2012 at 3:33pm   
Tiffany Johnston
Hi....let me start by saying lovely kitchen.....i think half timber ( for chopping) and the other half granite (for pastry / baking..)
September 26, 2012 at 3:38pm     
Francine Desmarais
The same as counter top.
September 26, 2012 at 3:40pm   
PRO
Langford Haymon designs
Either butcher block or Carrara Marble would look fabulous on the island. If Carrara is too frightening, there are quartz and granite alternatives. Caesarstone has misty carrera. Silestone has lyra. Get samples and put them in your kitchen. Look at them in daylight and evening light to get a better sense of how they will work in your home.
September 26, 2012 at 3:42pm   
patttyd
I would rather see the island black and have a white marble top.
September 26, 2012 at 3:43pm     
PRO
Lizbeth Carulla arquitecta
to give your kitchen a warm feeling, and to be more user friendly I would suggest a butcher block, it ages beautifully.
It will pop in the gorgeous background of the white cabinetry....
September 26, 2012 at 3:49pm     
Catherine
You need a rich color for the top my opinion. Don't laugh, first color that popped into my head was a deep blood orange
September 26, 2012 at 4:10pm   
anitajoyce
Wow! Lovely kitchen! I would go for the granite.
September 26, 2012 at 4:39pm   
Jennifer Witt
first thought was butcher block
September 26, 2012 at 4:48pm   
dianimaldoc
butcher block stained grey or black to coordinate with backsplash
September 26, 2012 at 4:56pm   
fuzinav
A dark greyish granite with some movement would complement your backsplash and be more exciting than just more of the countertop. Try not to disrupt the the color story by introducing a brown, such as a butcherblock. It's a large horizonal surface, use something you love.
September 26, 2012 at 4:58pm   
trendesdesign
Antique brown granite would be amazing. The texture
Will be great the movement is subtle but dramatic
September 26, 2012 at 5:06pm   
trendesdesign
Antique brown granite would be amazing. The texture
Will be great the movement is subtle but dramatic
September 26, 2012 at 5:06pm   
Helene Dee Woods
Green granite would give the space a nice pop, and many have black along with the green, so it would tie nicely with the rest of your room.
September 26, 2012 at 6:07pm   
PRO
Custom Home Planning Center
Take the color of your window casing as a clue. I'd get a piece of 3" mahogany long enough to overlay the island by an inch and a little over half the with with a great grain pattern. I'd then split it down to two 1 1/2" thick pieces and lay it as a book marked jointed slab.
September 26, 2012 at 6:21pm     
susanlenihan
Do either the whole island top in a butcher block that's not too dark, so it brings some warm and color into the room, or put carrera marble as the top with a large piece of butcher block as a cutting board. Again, keep the color of the wood not too dark to add color, texture and softness to the room.
September 26, 2012 at 6:25pm   
papatragg
Dark Butcher block
September 26, 2012 at 6:31pm     
Darzy
I say a rich, dark mohagany.
September 26, 2012 at 6:36pm     
PRO
Kitchens For Cooking
The important thing is to make the island counter thicker than the rest of the kitchen. After that, the color and substance depends on whether you want the island to be the focal point or not. If it were my kitchen I would use a thick, heavily veined soapstone. It's like the classic black dress--goes with everything, looks stylish yet traditional.
September 26, 2012 at 6:48pm     
PRO
J. Schwartz, LLC Remodeling & Fine Homebuilding
I would think a Zinc top would look fantastic on the island!
September 26, 2012 at 7:06pm   
PRO
carter & company
Island appears to be approx 30" x 60". I suggest a natural burled mesquite butcher block. Mesquite is a deep warm brown tone which deepens in color with age. My personal countertops is 20 years old and still looks great. We build these tops in several formats ex. End grain/ burled w edge band/ STD butcher/big block. Approx cost $2400 Inc shipping. Call for info 409 782-1948
September 26, 2012 at 7:06pm     
Aspa Davakou
A butcher block does sound like a good idea (it does give a warm feeling and it would make the space more cosy) ... but personally in terms of color I would also like to see a lighter grey surface on top of island (perhaps quartz/granite) to match it with the fabulous backsplash.... afterall, window frame color does match with existing counter top, so why not mix and match!
September 27, 2012 at 1:01am   
lowdog
How big is the kitchen.? Sqm
September 27, 2012 at 4:48am   
PRO
Best Plumbing Tile & Stone
Because the cabinets are the same color I would probably use the same counter your used throughout the space. Another option would be a nice creamy marble that would blend with the cabinets. I personally don't like butcher block because of the usability, but if you like that look I would match that wood color on the wall behind the sink.
September 27, 2012 at 5:56am   
L. Chris
Kitchen is about 13 sqm. We thought the lilas gerais granite (like image kitchen4) or an anthracite-dark grey , antique marble. What do you think about it? What you think for a 3 lamp chandelier in black patinated color?
September 27, 2012 at 7:20am   
PRO
Designer's Edge Kitchen & Bath
Chris, I feel that you have received some great input on your project. One way to create harmony in your design is through the repetition of color throughout your space. So picking the colors from your backsplash is definitely a wise decision. The photo showing your vent hood appears to have violet/purple hues as the predominant color. I think carrying that color to the island would be beautiful. As far as your chandelier, black would pop against the white cabinets and also pick up the dark values of your installed countertops.
September 27, 2012 at 9:59am   
fauxjanis
I realize it may be too late for this but I love it when the island looks like a piece of furniture. I would have done the island in a dark gray with a liming wax then a light stone counter top. The marbles are too porous so a light quartz? It is really beautiful. Great job!
September 27, 2012 at 10:21am   
PRO
Ann Lowengart Interiors
Dark brown to match the window frame.
September 27, 2012 at 10:10pm     
Jeannie Workman_Hammond
a dark color butcherblock would look gorgeous and enhance the look of the window
September 29, 2012 at 7:52am     
lmolen
First I would have the base of the butcher block be an antiqued warm brown like your window casing. Love to see accent color on islands. Then the granite or butcher block...I think you win with either. Looks great so far!
October 7, 2012 at 9:17am     
Helene Dee Woods
I see many butcher block suggestions, but I am still leery of how to keep a butcher block counter germ free... my OCD cleaning side says, "Don't go that route."
October 7, 2012 at 11:11am     
judianna20
Here is a pix of true butcher block; I wouldn't like to see this in your kitchen...not the right feel.

What I suggest is using the same countertop that you have and replacing the cabinet hardware to a stainless to compliment the backsplash. How about painting the window trim?
October 7, 2012 at 11:31am   
smp3
Would you kindly share who your source is for cabinets and hood?
I wouldn't go with a butcher block counter! However, someone mentioned Carrera marble. Great thought, as I think that it would be beautiful. The white top w/ the grey veining of the Carrera would finish off the kitchen nicely. Carrera can stain, but it is so pretty and I don't mind the upkeep. It sure beats the butcher block issues that I wouldn't want to deal with..Good luck! Love to see a photo when you have completed room!
October 7, 2012 at 11:37am   
L. Chris
Cabinets are from Arex Cucine (http://www.arrex.it) , model MONICA. What about lilas gerais granite?
October 7, 2012 at 11:42am   
Barb
What kind of countertop is the other main workspace
October 7, 2012 at 1:05pm   
PRO
Inside Out Staging and Design
Oooo love this kitchen! My first thought was Carrera marble. Your room has a polished, upscale look. I think the Carrera would be fabulous. I would however want to know what the rest of your house looked like and as others have mentioned, how much you want to "take care " of the marble. Some people don't mind the normal things that happen in a kitchen and consider this character. Others not so much:)!
October 7, 2012 at 1:24pm   
L. Chris
We added this candelier at kitchen!
October 7, 2012 at 2:06pm   
ccwatters
The same countertop as your perimeter, and change out cabinet hardware to ORB to tie in the brown of window, brown in backsplash and pretty new chandelier.
OR
A similar "material" as your perimeter in a rich chocolate brown color to tie in window, backsplash and chandelier. Could leave hardware alone.
OR
As others have mentioned, a butcherblock in very dark wood-tones, could leave the hardware alone. Keep in mind, however, that wood is more maintenance and you are limited in how to clean it. You also have to be at peace with all the marks and natural patina it will end up having.
Love your space, very pretty!
October 7, 2012 at 3:04pm   
smp3
Thanks for cabinet reference. I think the lilas gerais is a nice, safe option. However, in my opinion, the Carrera marble screams out at me as a way to finish off such a lovely kitchen. I would then add the deeper brown from the window into perhaps the kitchen chairs. Whatever you end up with, I'm sure will be tasteful. It's just a preference at this point, as it is already very beautiful.
October 7, 2012 at 3:47pm   
Sheryl Horton
Carrera marble does stain easily. In addition to the solid surface substitutes already suggested, take a look at torquay by Cambria.I'm in the paint the island grey camp with a marble or solid surface imitation for the countertop.
October 7, 2012 at 4:24pm     
jansgirl
If you don't do something to repeat the color on the window, I feel it will always look out of place. It is hard to tell the color of the wood from the photos as it looks quite dark in one and lighter in another.
October 7, 2012 at 4:52pm   
L. Chris
We decided the lilas gerais granite.

What stools you suggest?

What about theese?
December 2, 2012 at 4:15am     
bdennison
Black island butcher block top
December 2, 2012 at 4:34am   
greenthumb2
Yes on the granite you show here...L. Chris. You can have a butcher block cut to fit your granite top. It will have a 2" lip to over hang on end, and a drip ring carved into the mass area to catch juice and/or crumbs. That way, you can pull it out when needed, sanitize and put it away or leave it out.

Stools OK but can you darken up a little? Can you show us where the stools would go? Otherwise, maybe an iron and wood stool. I'll give a look for a link.
http://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary/kitchen/stools-with-iron-and-wood. I plugged bar stools into the search parameter and started in traditional and then contemporary since you are using both styles. Look around a little. You're doing a great job. Lovely space.
December 2, 2012 at 4:48am   
Helene Dee Woods
The granite you chose has a similar grain to ours. Here are the barstools we found at hayneedle.com
December 2, 2012 at 10:33am   
lucindalane
That is very pretty granite. However, before you have it installed, you might want to see if you can just get a piece of it and place it against the backsplash. I realize that it isn't going to go there, but there have been other posters who have posted with regrets of having chosen what I call a checkerboard tile backsplash along with a very patterned granite because they ended up clashing visually. Though your granite pattern is rather small, its still very "busy." It may be that putting it on the island might put enough visual space between it and the backsplash that they both will work, but it would be to your advantage to do your best to make sure it does before spending that much more money. The kitchen does look great, and I am sure that you want to make sure you don't make any mistakes at this point, especially. I am a "better safe than sorry" type person, so I believe it would be in your interest to do your best to make sure all the surfaces "gel" on every level before installing them and finding out they aren't compatible.
December 2, 2012 at 11:15am   
anitajoyce
I like the gerais granite thatyou picked out for the kitchen. Great color. I like the style of barstool but not the color. I think the barstools would look better if they were the same color as the stain on your window. the reddish brown color of the stain.
December 2, 2012 at 2:58pm   
More Discussions
Nightstand, chair, etc ideas for master bedroom
We can't seem to find the right type of night stands...
Paint old piano
We received an old piano as a gift and I want to paint...
POLL: Stained Glass - Love it or Leave it?
Do you love the look of stained glass and have or want...
Plantation Shutter Dilemma
We recently moved to a new row home and can't decide...
Need ideas for media storage, wall decor and rug!
I just moved into my apartment and want to see if anyone...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.