Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with paint color
missb
October 4, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Here are some pics of my great room. My kitchen cabinets and my wood trim are challenging me. My room has more ceiling and windows than wall. It is also open to a sun room, the front entrance, and stairwell to basement walkout level. I think I made a mistake on tile in kitchen and willing to change. Any color advice is appreciated. We are in ny and in the woods. Thank you!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nancyhd
That's a beautiful space you have. I see many wood tones all vying for attention there. To bring them all into harmony I would try a light mocha color on the walls and a slight step deeper mocha for the ceiling (not dark) to define and limit the space. I see the chairs have some coffee tones as does the fireplace. This may unify the whole space. Good luck and remember painting is not permanent ;-)
October 4, 2012 at 10:20AM     
lefty47
HI -- missb -- Wow this is a Great room ! First thing is the light fixture over the stair well needs to be replaced with pots or track light because the hanging fixture looks out of place. There is a lot of wood everywhere and the dark wood cabinets and the fairly dark furniture is making the whole room bottom heavy. Even though there is already lots of wood , I think you need to add some beautiful beams on the ceiling . Some post and beam kind that has some cross members . Now, don't be shocked but I think some of the other woods need to be painted white .like the stair railings ,window trims and maybe the baseboards.Just the door caseings. And now a color for the walls and ceiling the same , like a browned down soft gold. And window coverings in an oatmeal color and texture - drapes on the windows and matching blinds on the glass doors. Iron or wood drape rods . For the kitchen ,- I don't mind the backsplash tiles , but if you don't like them then change them. Consider painting the island base to lighten the space because it all kind of blends together right now.Either the blue like your chairs or the white of the trims. If you are unsure about painting your trims etc. then see how things look with the drapes before you paint. Bring some of the red of your livingroom chairs as another accent color in the space.Do you have under cabinet lights for TASK lighting in the kitchen , even some up lighting from the top cabinets. The kitchen looks very under lite.
October 4, 2012 at 10:22AM     
PRO
Stanton Designs-online design services
I love the openness of this space. The ceilings are great. One thing I would suggest is to paint the kitchen wall a accent color. Just that back wall behind your sink. Pull out a color from your tile or counter top. That will help give your kitchen a complete look and help make it feel like it's own designated space.

For the rest of your space I would choose a soft color. You have a lot of dark woods and dark furniture, and you won't want your space to feel like a dungeon. A soft beige or a subtle sage green will add a lot of warmth to this space, and will work nicely with all your fabrics and finishes.
October 4, 2012 at 12:08PM     
decoenthusiaste
If you love the dark kitchen cabinets, then paint all the other trim white and stain the hand rail of the stair bannister to match the kitchen cabinets. You could paint your island to match the blue chairs if that is one of your preferred colors. Or you could paint the chairs and island to match in another favorite color. If it is the kitchen cabinet color you dislike, paint those. Check rustoleumtransformations.com to find a color you'd prefer for the cabinets. I've heard it works on other surfaces too, so keep that in mind. Wall color can be changed at any time, but the mix of woods needs to be resolved first. I agree that beams are in order. Match them to whatever you leave a wood tone.
October 4, 2012 at 12:48PM     
missb
I agree the light over the stairwell is going to be removed. I also still need to purchase carpet for in front of fireplace and different chairs for the table. I was planning on reupholstering the swivel chairs on the left of fireplace and also the red chairs need to be updated.
Thank you for the insight on what to do with the wood tones. To be honest...I fell in love with this kitchen design as you see in our house... and then my husband changed the cabinet wood on the day he placed the order, waiting three weeks to tell me... i've forgiven him...but I am just at a stand still. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks again!
October 4, 2012 at 6:54PM   
PRO
Dytecture
I think we all agree this is a wonderful space. Consider a warm yellow with brown undertones, and some accent colors that compliments the wood trims.

October 4, 2012 at 7:10PM     
dsnguru1
Wow, and you're still married! What was your original choice of cabinetry?
I sort of hate to paint the new cabinets, but I agree with the possibility of painting the island.
Sometimes you need to step back and determine which elements that you chose that you love the most. ie flooring, trim, cabinets. Also go back to the feel you want to create.
I love the warm and cozy yet open feel of your house.
October 4, 2012 at 7:13PM     
Natalie
Hi Great Space!
3 colors for you--- SW 7045 Intellectual Gray, SW 7038 Tony Taupe, and SW 7052 Gray Area---one of those will be perfect for you... Good Luck!
October 4, 2012 at 10:10PM     
PRO
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
This is a great looking room with wonderful high ceilings. Consider a sage/gray color like Northhampton Putty by Benjamin Moore. Hope that helps. Charmean Neithart
October 4, 2012 at 11:02PM     
missb
Lefty47... the kitchen does have task lighting that did not photograph well, plus the two glass front cabinets are lighted as well. I like the idea about the stairs and the railing. I will definately paint the kitchen island. Which color I am leaning towards I am not sure. I am not as contempoary as my kitchen looks. I adore Crisp architects, country home on this website...take a peak at it...I could not get it to load here with the post.

dsnguru 1... aslo check out Crisp architects Country Home pics on here. That is what I had ordered with the cabinet maker. I really think my husband changed the cabinet color to go with the granite he liked. I was home busy with our second newborn and my husband didn't think it was a big deal. Maybe you can get some inspiration from the pictures to help inspire me.
Everyone else that has been willing to help me. Thank you! I ran out today and purchased some of the samples you all recommended. i will post them in a few days. Thanks everyone! This is really giving me alot of inspiration.
October 5, 2012 at 3:59PM     
missb
I did have a interior decorator come to the house, but her color was weathersfield moss or newburyport blue, both by benjamin Moore? Any comments on this? I felt it was too dark and made the kitchen cabinets look like a library just waiting for stacks of books? The room also faces north, which must affect the lighting.
October 5, 2012 at 6:48PM   
PRO
DIVA INTERIOR CONCEPTS
With all the red furnishings and mix of dark cherry finishes ... I would use a very airy light creme. Try this color by Dunn Edwards DEW336 White Sand
October 5, 2012 at 8:31PM     
Natalie
missb-checked both those colors options you received from the interior designer and think both are too dark and intense for your rooms. The blue is way out of range and the green is dark and too gray and cold... The colors I suggested and the option given by Charmean are warm sage/khaki colors. Pick up the paint chips and see what you think. Good Luck!
October 5, 2012 at 10:28PM     
trublu
Benjamin Moore 'summer harvest'.
October 6, 2012 at 4:30AM   
missb
Thank you everyone...picking up paint chips today.
October 6, 2012 at 5:30AM     
missb
charmean...is stone house benjamin moore similiar to northhamtpon putty benjamin moore? Can't really see the difference. Thank you!
October 6, 2012 at 5:53AM   
Natalie
missb really appreciate the close-up photo of your kitchen you posted. I look forward to hearing what you think of the color options... Good Luck!
October 6, 2012 at 6:04AM     
lmolen
Gonna think about tone on tone up thru ceiling?
Anjou pear(warm gold by Sherwin w) on walls and go 2 shades lighter on the vault could really warm it up. It feels like a hug. I love a hint of color on ceilings it looks so finished or included in the scheme.
October 6, 2012 at 9:59AM     
missb
I have rearranged furniture. And narrowed down the paint choices. I am in between benjamin moore revere pewter, edgecomb gray, coastal path. Any comments appreciated.
November 5, 2012 at 10:08PM   
Natalie
Bottom dark gray color on the right side---the others are too warm. This gray is the best of what you narrowed it down to-but it does have a cooler undertone than what I had suggested for you. Good Luck!
November 5, 2012 at 10:28PM     
PRO
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
Revere Pewter looks good everywhere. Would be great with all your windows.
November 5, 2012 at 10:37PM     
missb
Natalie... I will go back and get your colors again. Our sherwin williams store is in a sketchy location...the man gave me the tinyiest brochure. I will try again. Not very good at understanding cool and warm undertones, but trying.
Charmean...I will get some samples to paint and post the next picture some painted on the wall. Thank you for everyones time! Hope to get this right thanksgiving. Starting work right after.
November 6, 2012 at 7:15AM     
PRO
Linda
As usual, I'm in the minority here. I am a fan of white ceilings as they accentuate the architectural lines. I love the idea of a sage green or greyish green as those colors look great against the wood. Put up track lights over the stairwell to highlight the large scale decor area you have on that great wall behind the stairs. I could just see a large scale painting or an art quilt, architectural ironwork piece, etc on that wall. White ceiling/color walls will highlight your dormer window also.

I do see a lot of different tones of wood competing against each other, especially the light wood of the stair railing. It is a lot of work to restain a staircase, so you might consider just redoing the handrail and probably the newel posts and then see whether you want to continue or just opt for painting the spindles. While normally we would paint the trim first, in this case I would get color on the walls before deciding to paint any trim white. Getting the walls painted will make a huge difference in how you view the space.
November 6, 2012 at 8:06AM     
Natalie
Wonderful---when you put the colors you selected next to those I suggested you'll notice instantly what I'm talking about. My concern is not really the great room-rather the kitchen-the gray walls will dull the red of your wood not enhance it. Best of Luck and keep us posted... :)
November 6, 2012 at 10:30AM     
missb
Natalie...I am open to ideas of another surface behind the kitchen wall. All the wood tones are driving me absolutely crazy. I am definately going to paint the kitchen island and debating if there is something I could build around and or over the kitchen sink and window that would help blend this kitchen. I'll see if I can find a picture to add. Do you hate my tile in the kitchen?
November 6, 2012 at 11:21AM