Professionals
Users
living room arrangement
Fabiola
October 9, 2012 in Design Dilemma
which arrangement?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mindgames1978
I actually like the couch facing the fire place.
19 Likes   October 9, 2012 at 3:15PM
PRO
Banarsi Designs
I agree. It will make a more beautiful setting to have the couch in front of a fireplace.
3 Likes   October 9, 2012 at 5:49PM
aallen158
I like the couch facing the fire place!
3 Likes   October 9, 2012 at 5:50PM
Kalina DOrazio
Couch facing the fireplace...definitely!
3 Likes   October 9, 2012 at 5:55PM
Kalina DOrazio
Couch facing the fireplace...definitely!
1 Like   October 9, 2012 at 5:55PM
PRO
TKraft Art & Interiors
Re-post: Ditto. Place couch facing the fireplace. And if possible paint walls behind two smaller windows same color as fireplace wall and build matching bookcases below the windows.
3 Likes   October 9, 2012 at 6:02PM
sandyu
I like couch on wall because it opens up the space. The side chairs share table space for drinks. With couch facing fireplace you have conflict with stools at the bar. It's a break from the traditional what you would expect, so more interesting.
10 Likes   October 9, 2012 at 6:03PM
Vito Villa
Going with couch facing fireplace.
0 Likes   October 9, 2012 at 6:04PM
nikkisabrina
Couch facing fireplace.
0 Likes   October 9, 2012 at 6:04PM
Melissa Peters_Stone
I like the couch on the wall, it makes the space more interesting and appealing to the eye.
0 Likes   October 9, 2012 at 6:11PM
lctpdc
couch facing fireplace - for sure. But also consider eliminating some furniture. And some decorative things, e.g. on mantel.
5 Likes   October 9, 2012 at 6:20PM
Mary Kozma
I think changing the color of the fireplace bump-out seems to detached. With the chairs the same color it really throws an imbalance into the room. That fireplace area could be a place to add texture to the room, and to enlarge the firebox area for more presence in the room.

I agree the doilies are not working because they are too small and are not really prominent in the design. I like the sofa facing the fireplace.
1 Like   October 9, 2012 at 6:21PM
Debbie DeMarco
The arrangement with the sofa facing the fireplace works the best.
1 Like   October 9, 2012 at 6:24PM
Darzy
Usually I agree with most, but I like the openess of the couch against the wall.
2 Likes   October 9, 2012 at 6:34PM
Aggie Purvinska
The first one is best in my opinion, sofa by the wall.
3 Likes   October 9, 2012 at 6:35PM
sdeggo
Couch facing FP...: )
0 Likes   October 9, 2012 at 6:57PM
abyczkowski
I like the sofa facing the fireplace. It feels so much cozier, more inviting to hang out and stay in the room for a while.
1 Like   October 9, 2012 at 6:58PM
PRO
Jill J. Wallace, Color Redesign
The couch facing the fireplace looks better to me, but looking at the other picture and the location of the stools and counter, there may be less walking space for traffic flow. I would choose the more open floor plan.
3 Likes   October 9, 2012 at 7:00PM
michigammemom
Although I prefer the aesthetics of the couch facing the fireplace, I'm not convinced that it is a functional arrangement. Do you feel that you have space for good traffic flow into the room on either side of the couch? By the way, I find your mantle decor very attractive and autumnal.
7 Likes   October 9, 2012 at 7:06PM
galeriamd
Couch facing fireplace
0 Likes   October 9, 2012 at 7:07PM
Donna Schroeder
Sofa to the left to keep an open floorplan and bring the chairs in front of the windows out from thew wall. "Round" the corner of the table to pull in the space...hopefully if you visualize it makes sense : )
0 Likes   October 9, 2012 at 7:09PM
Donna Schroeder
P.S. replace the long coffee table with a square one.
0 Likes   October 9, 2012 at 7:10PM
Iyare I
The sofa facing the fireplace looks better but less roomy than the couch on the wall because of the flow of traffic. So depending on the amount of traffic this room will get, id make my determination based on that. If its going to get a lot of foot traffic (i.e. your main living room), id consider the more open plan because i anticipate lots of bumped knees if you keep the couch facing the fireplace. Good luck, either way, its a beautiful space :)
4 Likes   October 9, 2012 at 7:18PM
norabey
I like the one with the chair perpendicular to the fireplace. It's more cozy, you can get to watch the fire at the same time you can face your guests or others sitting on the chairs.
Even if this room is for the whole family to be used most of the day it's still feels cozy to me
0 Likes   October 9, 2012 at 7:21PM
anastasia65
Sofa against the wall - hands down. Yes, I agree it is nice to have a sofa opposite a fireplace, but in this case, it just closes up the room too much. The other arrangement (sofa against the wall) is far more interesting as well. (If you do choose to keep the sofa facing the fireplace, lose the two "side" tables. It looks like you have three tables all lined up in the room.) It is just so much more open and welcoming with the sofa against the wall. Hope that helps. Good luck.
4 Likes   October 9, 2012 at 7:23PM
windingcreek_creations
The sofa facing the fireplace feels cozy, but the space is more open with it against the wall. I would change it out whenever you feel like a change. Keep all the things that make you happy, including the doilies! This is your home and you should surround yourself with the things that you love. This is a lovely room because it is a reflection of the owner, not a staged model home for a magazine. (I keep my grandmother's doilies proudly displayed throughout my home, and I don't care if they 'clash' with other elements of the room. She would have liked that, and that makes me happy.)
3 Likes   October 9, 2012 at 7:27PM
Kelly G
I like the couch facing the fireplace, but I prefer the end table arrangement in the other setting.
0 Likes   October 9, 2012 at 7:30PM
PRO
Interior Expressions/ Nardelli Home Decor
Couch facing the fire place and adding some drapery panels to the windows with decorative rods and rings will give it a nice finished look.
0 Likes   October 9, 2012 at 7:31PM
wheatinthewind
I think I like the sofa on the wall. It opens up the space and also lets everyone who's seated see the fireplace. It also seems as if it would be hard to walk around the furniture with the sofa facing the fireplace arrangement. But you could try one way and then switch it when you got tired of it. The sofa facing the fireplace is cozy looking.
1 Like   October 9, 2012 at 7:33PM
Jamie Wieloch_Greco
Couch facing fireplace. The furniture is not hugging the walls, which is always better.
0 Likes   October 9, 2012 at 7:35PM
gerry2281941
I like the couch facing the fireplace. I agree that the wall flanking the fireplace should be the same color as the bump out. The tables make the space look a little crowded--perhaps some smaller round ones (not matching) and I'm not a fan of doilies unless it's a victorian look.
0 Likes   October 9, 2012 at 7:36PM
Linda Anthony
couch facing fireplace - get rid of doilies unless special meaning for you -need two great lamps on 'end' tables (don't have to match) & paint the entire fireplace wall (am sure it was painted to make it stand out but the entire wall would look bigger if painted...
0 Likes   October 9, 2012 at 7:41PM
Linda Anthony
get rid of 'tiny' table beside FP & under window - put larger items on tables & coffee table - perhaps a tray with three things on it or some books with something sitting on top of them as well.
0 Likes   October 9, 2012 at 7:43PM
pluckygirl
I really like the couch facing the fireplace. I also agree about not being a fan of the doilies. It's a lovely room.
0 Likes   October 9, 2012 at 7:44PM
Linda Anthony
put a great mirror - good sized, over the FP - round - black with a couple other black items placed somewhere in the room (black lamp perhaps...) will match FP screen. Pics too small on FP mantel (just remove them) - Replace ceiling fan with one with white blades (OR paint the blades glossy white) so it doesn't stand out from the ceiling - will make the room look larger and more complete.
Perhaps put that tiny table (from under the window to the right of the FP) to the right of the chair to the left of the FP and take that other end table out of the room to make more space. Then could use a floor lamp there.
0 Likes   October 9, 2012 at 7:51PM
trishmoxon
Couch facing the fireplace offers more balance and scale.
0 Likes   October 9, 2012 at 8:00PM
PRO
Melissa Doan - Weidel Realtors - New Hope
Couch facing fireplace if room traffic is low... but I would eliminate the small square side tables and/or coffee table. You might try using the two end tables next to each other in the place of the coffee table to see how you like it eliminating the coffee table.
2 Likes   October 9, 2012 at 8:09PM
barbeemast
This is perfect living room for seasonal arranging. Facing the FP in winter and the other way in the Summer.
4 Likes   October 9, 2012 at 8:15PM
yvesun
Couch against the wall in Spring & Summer, but during the cooler months couch facing the fireplace!
I happen to like the pumpkin colour surrounding your fireplace, it makes the room welcoming.
4 Likes   October 9, 2012 at 8:19PM
Natalie
Hi there---sofa facing the fireplace is the best arrangement. I suggest adding floor to ceiling drapes-in a horizontal stripe/plaid to visually expand the wall of the FP as well as the side wall. The color of the fp facade is Gorgeous! Do remove the lace doilies-they really look out of place in this room. I'm attaching a photo to serve as inspiration for you. Hope it gives you some ideas as far as drapes, colors, and accessories... Good Luck! [houzz=
]
3 Likes   October 9, 2012 at 8:25PM
cami19
I like the way the room with the couch facing the fireplace looks, but how do you actually get into the seating area? It looks like there is only way in -- a relatively narrow space to the right of the couch. If that is so, I don't think that's a very functional lay out.
2 Likes   October 9, 2012 at 8:28PM
engelmiller
Sofa facing the fireplace ... at least in the winter.
0 Likes   October 9, 2012 at 8:31PM
thunder1
The couch facing the fireplace. It looks more conversational.
0 Likes   October 9, 2012 at 8:49PM
Fabiola
thanks all for such a wonderful comments! I have to read all the comments and suggestion and will update as soon as I make all the changes! so helpful
0 Likes   October 9, 2012 at 8:53PM
Cas Nor
COUCH FACING FIREPLACE BUT TAKE SOME OF THE OTHER FURNITURE OUT TO CROWDED EITHER THE END TABLES OR THE COFFEE TABLE OR USE ONE END TABLE BETWEEN THE CHAIRS
2 Likes   October 9, 2012 at 8:59PM
Fabiola
Yeah! I agree that the room is so small for the big furniture and lots of traffic ! my sofa and end tables are very big for the size of room . Dolies are made by my mother but I am not forced to put them there just used to have some sort of cover on coffee table. Mantle was that busy since yesterday ! it is not such usually.
I though I will paint the fire place as a focal point and to make the room cozy and warm but you may be right, I can change that too.
I had some table lamp but they are not matching and will replace them with one floor lamp and one table lamp. I hope I can change end tables to some smaller ones. searching for good deal!
thanks!keep the ideas coming!
0 Likes   October 9, 2012 at 9:07PM
PRO
Drapery and Design by Carlos
seems like the space is not big enough for that many furniture, I can't even see much room in order to have the couch facing the fire place ... less is better and some quality window treatments there, would make a huge difference for better.
1 Like   October 9, 2012 at 9:29PM
jingstad
I would suggest just 1 more idea. Move the sofa under the big window, with a painting (or a grouping) the size of the small windows hung next to the window. Place the tall cupboard along the big wall (facing the sofa) at the fireplace end. Put the 2 chairs on the long wall opposite the sofa with 1 end table between them. The plant moves to the opposite corner. Remove the tiny table under the window and 1 end table. Here is my reasoning. With all the windows and chairs and cabinets on the big window wall...it is too "busy". With the sofa under the window, you have the big window and the big sofa working together. Then, the plain wall makes a great backdrop for the chair/table vignette. It will also leave more of a walkway into the room. Painting the wall the same as the fireplace would make that wall look larger. The room will look more balanced. (At least that is what I envision). If you do try this arrangement, it would be nice to see a photo.
1 Like   October 9, 2012 at 10:17PM
chelseamrk
I like the second placement of the couch facing the fireplace. However I would choose to remove the two end tables because they seem to block off some much needed space. If a table is necessary I would opt for something that is much smaller and more as a drink table. Good luck
0 Likes   October 9, 2012 at 11:30PM
mdfinley
The sofa across from the fireplace seems more weight- balanced visually speaking.
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 12:18AM
dragon721
Couch facing the fireplace
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 12:37AM
dragon721
Couch facing the fireplace
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 12:37AM
nonni181
How about painting the window frames to match the walls? They stand out and make the room seem smaller.
2 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 2:50AM
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
I prefer the arrangement with the sofa facing the fireplace. Very nice room!
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 5:18AM
kbutterfield4
Second arrangement, with the couch facing the fireplace
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 6:07AM
triplepea
At first I thought I liked the couch facing the fireplace, since that is your focal point in the room. But upon reflection, I found myself drawn to the couch facing the wall. It just seems more comfortable, less crowded. And I would not like to sit in the side chairs in front of the fireplace.

With the furniture facing the fireplace, it seems like such an effort to get anywhere and the flow is stuck.

I love the color of the fp. I think I would eliminate the "matchy" pillows on the side chairs and introduce a third color into the room, something bold, and I would add that third color onto the couch, maybe with a throw.

Keep us updated!
1 Like   October 10, 2012 at 6:18AM
PRO
Inside Out Staging and Design
First arrangement. Couch facing fireplace closes off other space both physically and visually. Not generally very attractive or welcoming to look at back of sofa. Bring accent chairs and table in closer to seating area so they are a part of conversation and move coffee table closer to sofa so that it is reachable.
1 Like   October 10, 2012 at 6:30AM
reginacpa
Could you try it with the chairs facing the fireplace? It might give you room for the stools at the bar. The couch facing the fireplace is the best of these two but if it doesn't work with the space you have....you might not be happy with it for long if it isn't practical. Also, you might ditch the coffee table and move the couch closer. I have a loveseat on the side wall of a fireplace and it is so cozy. My husband and I race to get to that spot first to read our book by the fire.
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 6:40AM
Joanna Zygo
definitely the 2nd one - sofa facing the fireplace
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 6:56AM
Hilda Robinson
I like the second one people will integrate more but I think they could put in another settee instead of the chairs & tables.
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 7:01AM
Hilda Robinson
I like the second one people will integrate more but I think they could put in another settee instead of the chairs & tables.
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 7:01AM
Linda Anthony
great ideas here for you to try - even before painting and drapes! Move all big pieces and then add, one at a time, the smaller tables etc. You do have too many tables in the room. Matching end tables and coffee table are old ideas. When couch is on the wall, everything appears to 'fit in' but if you WANT to keep the second end table, move it to the other side of the couch and use it for a table lamp. Rule of thumb (used to work at furn store) is that the end table be taller than the arm of the sofa, and yours do not qualify. That is so they can be utilized for a drink, not just a lamp. You can see how the end table between the chairs meets that standard. You could warm up the room with drapes, as has been suggested, BUT make sure you hang them right! Here is a link which explains how to hang drapes as I see you have one window close to a corner... http://fredgonsowskigardenhome.com/2011/05/03/the-right-way-to-hang-curtains-and-drapes/ Read and study the right way to hang drapes as it covers all 'problem areas' too.
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 7:04AM
bltoupin
Couch on the wall because it looks cramped and closed in facing fireplace!! JMT
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 7:07AM
annoulaxeni
ymcs has the ticket: one arrangement when the fireplace is likely to be used (winter) and the other when the fireplace isn't necessarily the focus (warmer months). Besides, don't you need to change your furniture around periodically? When I get sick of cleaning a room, it's usually because I need a fresh change and moving furniture around always works :-)

By the way, the side tables seem excessive in the sofa-opposite-the-fireplace view, whereas they work perfectly in the other layout. However, I note you don't have any table lamps which would be SO nice in that room!
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 7:08AM
namrata03
couch facing the fireplace...it gives warm and cosy effect.
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 7:09AM
Natalie
2 small round tables, console table behind sofa (two ottmans/bench tucked underneath), and a tufted ottoman. No more, no less. [houzz=
]
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 7:17AM
Tina Lowe
couch on the wall
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 7:25AM
margretwilber
looks great couch facing fireplace but realistically where is the tv going ?
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 7:38AM
margretwilber
looks great couch facing fireplace but realistically where is the tv going ?
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 7:38AM
mrswolf
I like them both, one for spring/summer and the other for fall/winter. I think the idea of moving the sofa to the big window wall would look cleaner. Curtains would help warm it up a little. Maybe two small sitting cubes together with a tray on it in place of the coffee table or just the coffee table to cut down on all the tables in the room. Good luck. :)
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 7:44AM
babyblue1588
couch facing fireplace looks better. couch on wall functions better but is still not bad.. id spruce up the decor a bit and itd be fine..color on fireplace looks great
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 8:05AM
petrilfe
I like couch on wall, but would replace small chairs and table with small loveseat or large upholstered chair in nice greencolor with accent pillows to match fireplace color. Drapes or bamboo blinds would add texture. Keep accessories minimal to keep room looking more spacious. Agree that fireplace window walls should be painted accent color also.
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 8:10AM
petrilfe
I like couch on wall, but would replace small chairs and table with small loveseat or large upholstered chair in nice greencolor with accent pillows to match fireplace color. Drapes or bamboo blinds would add texture. Keep accessories minimal to keep room looking more spacious. Agree that fireplace window walls should be painted accent color also.
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 8:10AM
rasd
the couch adjacent to the fireplace would account for better flow, although with the couch directly across the fireplace is more appealing to the eye, but makes for awkward intimate conversation in the chairs. All in all, a bit cluttered for my taste. Windows could use some softening with side panels (?), different cocktail table and side tables (?), loose the ceiling fan (?) in lieu of table lamps, and the fireplace looks dwarfed, I might try to beef it up a bit.
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 9:19AM
hgtvobsessed
I also like the couch facing the fireplace, but would pull it up a bit closer have a oval or round ottoman instead of the large rectangular coffee table. Break up the wood. even if its a smaller solid coffee table, not wood. You could however add a narrow console table behind the sofa once you push it up closer to the fireplace.
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 9:33AM
sandberry
I like couch facing fireplace; it encourages those who sit on the couch to take in the room. The chairs flanking the fireplace balances the couch. This room looks more balanced because of this arrangement.
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 9:50AM
PRO
Matt Patterson Custom Homes
TV?
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 9:55AM
Linda
I like the sofa facing the fireplace. Your room looks very cozy and comfortable. A welcoming home. I guess some people still feel compelled to offer decorating advice as to the other items in your room even though you only asked for advice on your arrangement. Just ignore the unsolicited advice and enjoy what you have created.
1 Like   October 10, 2012 at 10:19AM
Linda Anthony
you are right Linda, absolutely right. Am so used to giving this type of advice I lost my head. The additional advice is just to take it to the next level of 'welcoming'.
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 10:34AM
jagrawal7
I have a similar layout in my house. I recently have gone back and forth with the layout. I went back to the original formation of having the couch ag'st the wall so it seemed more open to the kitchen. I didn't like the couch partially blocking the access from kitchen to Living Rm.
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 11:14AM
cattyhattie
Definitely like the couch facing the fp. Maybe lose a small table.
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 11:51AM
Chantale W
Couch facing the fire place. I would remove the side table though, for easier traffic flow, and to open up the room a bit.
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 11:54AM
Chantale W
Couch facing the fire place. I would remove the side table though, for easier traffic flow, and to open up the room a bit.
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 11:54AM
PRO
Inside Out Staging and Design
Wow what a thread! I have already expressed my opinion but wanted to add to it based on jagrawal7 comment.
Furniture placement is about the three f's: focal point, functionality and flow.
Obviously the focal point is the fireplace. Based on the pictures, I'm assuming this is a sitting/living room or else I believe Fabiola would have mentioned the TV as another focal point to consider.
The fireplace should be enjoyed by everyone in th room not just those on the sofa. The first arrangement addresses all seating spots including the bar area.
The second option does not offer good functionality as it currently sits. A good seating arrangement allows for easy conversation (which is why the chairs need to come closer), good lighting (ideally by where each person would sit) and a place to put a drink.
The first option addresses all those needs and could accommodate lamps on side tables if necessary.
The second option has tables floating with access to no seating and the two chairs have nothing to put a glass down on.
The flow of the first option allows you to see the room upon entering and keeps the people at the bar part of the room/conversation.
The second option cuts the room both physically and visually. The addition of a sofa table works well in larger rooms but I believe, and I'm just assuming (and you know what happens when you assume:)) that the bar is stationary ( a kitchen island maybe looks like granite ?) and there would not be enough room for a sofa table to walk around.
Good luck Fabiola, hope you have found the thread helpful and not overwhelming :)!
2 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 11:59AM
iamchickaddd
I like the couch facing the fireplace but I don't like the lineup of coffee table and end tables. Maybe the end tables could be grouped differently with the chairs with a lamp on the end tables instead of the doilies. Or do away with the coffee table altogether.
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 12:59PM
not me
A tan paint on the walls...too much contrast between fireplace and wall. It will add warmth and pull the room together. Add window covering. The room seems like it is set up to be conversational right now which might be what they are looking for. It does provide an open view to fireplace when you comeinto room.
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 1:11PM
Linda Anthony
I believe Inside Out Staging & Design hit ALL the main points, and as I read it, I agree.
Drapes could warm up the room with softness - for an add on...
Three lamps, two for end tables and one floor lamp - all with small wattage bulbs for soft lighting.
Wouldn't use ceiling light except for when more light is needed - playing a game etc... When ceiling light is on when company is there makes too much light and everyone looks 'better' in soft lighting.
The room is lovely.
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 1:14PM
monika2024
how do you get to the couch when it's facing the fireplace? it seems there's not enough room on the left side? Do you have to walk all the way around? Also what is the distance between the couch and the stools. I think the couch on the wall seems to "flow" better. When it's placed facing the fireplace, it chops up the room and feels congested next to the stools. Also would it be sticking past the left wall? That would just "feel" weird to me. Unless of course you got rid of the other pieces and moved the couch up a bit towards the fireplace.
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 1:49PM
PRO
Roots and Rafters
Definitely the couch facing the fireplace. I would remove the table on the left-hand side in the picture, however, and either replace it with a smaller, round table or leave a table out of that space altogether.
1 Like   October 10, 2012 at 2:08PM
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Couch facing the fireplace - remove the two square end tables. Go with round (16-18" diameter) side tables flanking the fireplace. perfect!
1 Like   October 10, 2012 at 4:53PM
K MM
Wall is more inviting and cozy. Facing fireplace is more aesthetically pleasing initially, but blocks off the flow of the area. It's a small room and the first arrangement makes it feel more open and larger. You'll just be bumping into that couch everyday or wishing you had more space if you place it facing the fireplace. It feels very "heavy" facing the fireplace. If you choose against the wall, how about a larger piece or a large plant to balance the couch where the cabinet is standing? It and the pumpkins feel very small.
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 5:48PM
pearlandgirl
couch facing fireplace!
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 5:54PM
coastalgirl1
I posted a similar question a few days ago and the general recommendations were in favor of setting up the sofa in front of the fireplace. I did it, and then after a few hours, I decided I didn't like wallking into the room and seeing the back of the sofa. A sofa table behind the sofa alleviates this concern, but if you are looking at using what you have like I did, then I will put in a vote for the more open layout. I would consider bringing the sofa in a bit from the wall...otherwise, my only other advice is "enjoy your lovely room!!".
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 6:08PM
teddibears
Sofa in front of the fireplace during the winter months and on the wall during the summer months.
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 6:56PM
lyngreen
The large window behind the two chairs makes them look too small for the space. Definitely the couch facing the fireplace.
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 7:17PM
jess0906
I prefer the couch next to the fire place, makes the room more inviting.
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 8:09PM
gdcalhoun
Normally I'd say go with facing fireplace but with the stools so close, I think it would be too crowded and restrictive. Go with it against the wall instead.
0 Likes   October 11, 2012 at 3:14AM
gdcalhoun
Normally I'd say go with facing fireplace but with the stools so close, I think it would be too crowded and restrictive. Go with it against the wall instead.
0 Likes   October 11, 2012 at 3:14AM
Betty Webb
paint walls on each side of fireplace same color as fireplace wall to extend the width of the room, keep sofa on wall for more openess, get rid of coffee table or get one smaller, it blocks view of fireplace, no doilies and a little less clutter on mantel, I also agree with other comment on putting in shelves under windows on each side of fireplace, nice room.
0 Likes   October 11, 2012 at 5:56AM
PRO
Dennis D. Crowley Construction INC
I'd prefer the sofa facing fireplace during the season when it's in use. Against the wall when the fireplace is not in use. Maybe remove the end tables to avoid crowding and add nice window dressing when the sofa is facing the fireplace.
0 Likes   October 11, 2012 at 9:21AM
teesa6126
I must be wonky, I keep seeing the sofa at a right angle to the wall (on a diagonal) with the large window and the chairs opposite that. Then an ottoman of some sort for the coffee.
0 Likes   October 11, 2012 at 9:51AM
linn0517
Feng Shui - leave sofa against wall to have better traffic flow. The sofa in front of the fireplace doesn't not have good traffic flow! : )
0 Likes   October 11, 2012 at 10:30AM
judyhenly
Sofa on the wall and chairs opposite opens up your space more. It also lets you use your tables for what they are intended - Lamps and drink placement.
0 Likes   October 11, 2012 at 11:48AM
pdmorgan
The sofa on the wall makes the room much more easily navigated. In that picture, I see a corner of a bar or counter? Given there's more in the room than we can see, the sofa on the wall gives you better use of space. And you don't need to have the furniture pushed completely to the walls! Pull the chairs and sofa out a bit for some breathing room - and you'll have a cozy conversation area beside the fireplace!
0 Likes   October 11, 2012 at 6:49PM
Fabiola
Woow ! I am overwhelmed with all these great comments! I am going to read all your kindly comments and will work toward making the room better! Thank you so much! keep the great ideas coming please...
1 Like   October 11, 2012 at 6:57PM
PRO
Roots and Rafters
I revise my earlier comment. I'd keep the couch lined up along the wall, but move it in about a foot. Do the same with the chairs (move them in towards the couch) and get a bigger rug that will tie everything together. At the very least, the front legs of your couch and chairs should be on the rug.
0 Likes   October 11, 2012 at 6:59PM
tadahh
I prefer the couch along the wall since it allows the chairs to be placed closer together for a more intimate seating arrangement, and everyone can enjoy the fire. In the opposite arrangement the people sitting in the chairs would have their backs to the fireplace.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 7:04AM
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I would recommend going with a Shutter . I carry a line of shutters that would match your already existing frames it would look absolutely amazing! http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/shutters-toronto.html
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 12:09PM
Nora Elizabeth
I like the couch facing the fireplace, but i'd remove the side tables as they seem to block the walking space & clutter the room up more. Window treatments would warm up the area too.
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 4:26PM
chelseabeagle
The fireplace is the focal point - so the second picture looks wonderful!
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 4:55PM
PRO
Beverly Anderson Interior Design
I like the sofa facing the fireplace
0 Likes   March 3, 2014 at 2:01PM