Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help with kitchen ideas
mvelletri
October 10, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We are going to be buying home that needs updating. I have attached a picture of the current kitchen which is one room we are going to be remodeling. The ceiling height is 8ft, I wish it was higher but it isn't... we are planning to extend the kitchen out so it will become a nice size. Wondering if anyone has any neat suggestion to making this room more open, airy and how to make the ceiling height look taller...? Will take any suggestions :-) Thank you!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
AMN
These look like MLS pictures. Do you happen to have any other pics of the space (mainly the other two walls/directions?).

You can bring the cabinets up to the ceiling (provided you are getting new ones), but I worry about the proximity of the can lights. Hard to tell from the pics. You might have to get them moved.

Keep window treatments off of the window, or chose a very clean, non-encroaching roman shade and attach it so the top is at the ceiling height but still covers the top trim of the window.

Incorporate either some open shelving or glass-front uppers to give a more open feeling - - especially if you think you might add more cabinetry or a peninsula or something.

How sweeping of changes are you making in the kitchen? Knowing that will help us help you better.
October 10, 2012 at 12:19pm   
mvelletri
Thank you, unfortunately I don't have any additional pictures just yet. We are planning to extend out toward backyard additionally remove a wall that is currently between kitchen and what is now the dining room. Definitely a reno but it wont change the ceiling height and i was wondering what to consider in the design when working with an architect. Thank you for your suggestions.
October 10, 2012 at 12:27pm   
janishill
An architect should be able to find a solution for you, but here is an article that might be of help: http://www.bhg.com/kitchen/remodeling/budget/budget-considerations-for-kitchens/
and a quick video:
October 10, 2012 at 12:54pm   
mvelletri
Thank you!
October 10, 2012 at 12:56pm     
charleee
It might be possible to have a tray ceiling put in, you could suggest that to your architect: [houzz=
]
October 10, 2012 at 12:57pm     
PRO
Timeless Kitchen Cabinetry
How did you make out with your kitchen planning? If you are still in the process, we might be able to give you a few ideas.
February 1, 2013 at 5:44am   
mvelletri
I am still in the process, would love to hear additional ideas!
February 2, 2013 at 7:16pm   
PRO
Eagledzines
If your new cabinets don't quite reach the ceiling, put a frieze board on the face of the cabinet and then a crown on that. The whole thing should reach right up to the ceiling. This will make it feel taller. Also, the lights will most likely have to move, as was mentioned to make room for the crown.

It doesn't appear that there is any under cabinet lighting. I would suggest that the architect know that you would like this hardwired in.
February 2, 2013 at 10:18pm