Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What can I do in this space?
Adrianne D.
October 12, 2012 in Design Dilemma
The column is driving me crazy! The space is about 15 x 12 but if I took out the column it could expand to 20 X 18. I am just not sure of how much it would cost to remove the column and whether it is neccessary of not.

Thanks in advance!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nancy Hehmann
You need a licensed contractor or home builder to tell you if if is load bearing. If it is, they can give you ideas on how to make it more attractive. I love, love the curve of your stairs! Put a great looking area rug in the space and it will pull the eyes away from the column! If you ask , I am sure the HOUZZErs will give you great decorating ideas. Most of the time they do without asking! LOL
9 Likes   October 12, 2012 at 9:20AM
Aggie Purvinska
I am almost 100% Certain that the column is structural, but I may be wrong, you could add another column for symmetry with or without a half wall in between, and arrange the room a s a nice sitting space with a coffee table, dry bar (this can go against the half wall). and four club chairs. If this is a foyer, a beautiful foyer table with a vase and a chandelier above...still a console table can go in front of the half wall and a seating bench where the lonely end table is now. Your drapes need to go to the floor, and rugs, rugs.
18 Likes   October 12, 2012 at 9:22AM
Adrianne D.
I am totally fine with hiring a contractor and seeing about removing the column. Do you know if an exposed beam on the ceiling would be able to replace the column? Any thoughts about what it could cost?

Bring on the decorating recommendations :) I am looking for any and all suggestions!!
0 Likes   October 12, 2012 at 9:26AM
PRO
Mackenzie Austin Design
My guess is it is likely structural and would be very costly (if even possible) to remove and redistribute the load. A structural engineer could tell you for sure but there are ways of making an educated guess yourself. Does that column run along a line of interior walls that go from one end of the house to the other? Is there an unfinished basement below that you could see if that support goes to the foundation?
Having the settee in front of it is not ideal. Do you have a pic taken from the bottom of the stairs showing that other wall? ...so that we can give you some furniture placement ideas.
There are ways to make a sore thumb like that work.
2 Likes   October 12, 2012 at 9:29AM
PRO
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
I love this space with the column! Pull the little table from the wall and add a chair next to it angled in front of column facing room. Where little table was, find vase with unique arrangement (move over closer to stairway - not centered almost in crux of landing) cannot see other side of room but the sofa must go there or on window side - cant tell - Yes - drapes to floor a must -
3 Likes   October 12, 2012 at 9:36AM
Adrianne D.
The house is 2 story with no basement (raised slab foundation). I believe the column is directly under the wall the separates the master bedroom from the master bathroom upstairs.

Here are some other pics...
0 Likes   October 12, 2012 at 9:40AM
PRO
Stanton Designs-online design services
If it is there now...I'm guessing it's meant to be there. I like the idea mentioned above, by adding another column and getting creative with that. It won't look out of place then.
7 Likes   October 12, 2012 at 1:51PM
charleee
That column would make me nuts too. I would be tempted to add a second column, then create a breakfast bar/homework station/drawing table for the kids. At least it would make some sense, then.
5 Likes   October 12, 2012 at 1:56PM
Darzy
I agree with Stanton and Bobbi. Do another "faux" column with enough width to accommodate furniture size. Half wall it (perhaps with moulding) and make it a feature. Here's a sample, but a bit oversized for your space. I'd adorn with moulding for more of a feature as well as function.

17 Likes   October 12, 2012 at 1:57PM
judianna20
I like everyones' idea of the second column and a half wall in between.

Although, here is a pix of just two columns and it looks fine.
7 Likes   October 12, 2012 at 2:02PM
PRO
Michael Tauber Architecture
The column is very likely structural as others have said. Could it be removed, I'm sure it could...it would mean adding a beam either below the ceiling which may not be what you have in mind or if wood frame possibly shoring the existing framing and cutting in a beam for a flush ceiling, either way this should be discussed with a structural engineer. The bigger question is what is your goal for the two rooms - one large room or two distinct spaces that are open to one another. if it is one room the solution I described above would be possible, if it is distinct rooms - leave the column (or make it wider to create and end to a "functional wall". This could be a book shelf that could be utilized by both rooms or a wall with openings that contain storage - either way this can be accomplished through cabinetry or through construction of a partial wall. See the attached sketch that I did for a project.
5 Likes   October 12, 2012 at 2:55PM
charleee
Michael, spoken like a true architect!.....Bobbi
0 Likes   October 12, 2012 at 3:52PM
PRO
Michael Tauber Architecture
I am what I am!
3 Likes   October 12, 2012 at 3:58PM
Elise
Agree with Michael. It's structural. You would need a long steel or laminated beam to bear the load for that span. Expensive! I like the idea of putting in a 2nd column and having a floor to ceiling decorative wall open to both sides. Talk to an architect about lighting and displaying art pieces on a built-in structure.

Make your entry grander! Remove the blue settee and the too small foyer table. Replace the little table with a large round 48" gorgeous wooden table and beautiful lamp in the curve of the stair wall. Beautiful stairway by the way! If you still want a chair there, find a nice upholstered arm chair, with presence, to put next to the table and lamp.

Throw a huge beautiful carpet down centered under a new light fixture, and floor to ceiling drapes. Create an entry parlor for conversation, leaving the tv room for family living. You have a great opportunity to make something beautiful.

LA JOLLA CONDO- DINING ROOM

Ideabook: Expert Talk: Wall Dividers Pull Rooms Together

Kat Robbins Interiors

A Special Display of Art

David Ludwig Studios

Debra Kay George Interiors
5 Likes   October 12, 2012 at 4:33PM
Adrianne D.
Ideally, i would like to make this into one large room which would be the family tv room with a small table area for games, homework, etc. We have a foyer already so I worry that another foyer could be redundant. I like the idea of balancing with two columns. Do you think that exposed beams like in the attached picture would allow for maintaing the structural support but also open up the two rooms into one?
1 Like   October 12, 2012 at 7:21PM
PRO
Simpkins & Associates, Inc.
I would slide the small closet door to the right (toward the staircase) and maybe shrink it a bit if possible or open it from the dining room side. I would then encase the column in raised paneling or barn wood if you prefer and encase it with lower cabinets and use a limestone top. Then I would add glass uppers that open on both sides. This makes a nice serving area for the dining room and makes sense of the column. Alternatively you could leave out the upper cabinets and use a barn wood beam (like the ones you show) running through that entire area and butting into the column. Add a small sitting area near the staircase - consider a small scale chaise. Then use the rest of the room for your sitting area. Pull some furniture from other rooms in your home to try them out before you purchase new pieces for the room. A club type seating arrangement with a group of chairs might make more sense in here than a sofa or settee.
1 Like   October 13, 2012 at 9:21AM
giggles60
I'm no architect or professional decorator but I have an idea that might work. Move the small table right in front of the column. Place two chairs on each side of it and maybe even put a long but not to large piece of art, or 3 smaller pieces of art/ family photos right on the column. You would probably need to change the door to open the opposite way, opening so you enter the dining area first. I like "Paradise restored" idea of a large floral arrangement in the curve of the staircase, maybe something asymmetrical.
2 Likes   October 13, 2012 at 9:34AM
PRO
Another thought - What would you do if the column was not there? Arrange the room(s) the way you would without the column and see just how in the way it is. Seeing it in that fashion might help you decide what to do with it. Then you will know whether to ignore it, dress it up or try to integrate it. It is possible to move just about anything - the question is whether you can live with the price!
3 Likes   October 13, 2012 at 9:49AM
PRO
Tres McKinney Design
The curved staircase is a great feature. Entry halls are the first impression we make to our guests and set the tone for the rest of the house.Your entry area seems quite large and could use larger scaled furniture to offset your eye going to the column which is most likely structural. (I will address the column in a moment). I would replace the small hall table with a large round table 42"-48" diameter.
It should compliment your dining room furniture since the spaces are open to one another. It could be wood, iron or skirted to the floor and fit nicely into the curve of the stairs. I would put a tall large scaled lamp, a decorative tray and large cachpot with a plant or flowers to great guests. You could also hang a large scaled mirror vertically above the table which would add sparkle and light. Then I would add a large area rug and replace the curtains with full length curtains touching the floor. If you need window privacy then replace the roller shades with woven wood or grass weave shades or simple roman shades in a fabric compatible with the curtains and area rug which will give the windows a more polished look. Alternatively you could replace the curtains with plantation shutters painted off white like your woodwork. I would also consider a larger scaled lantern or chandelier if the room's height will allow. Now for the column: We assume it is structural and I agree with the others that adding a second column and half or 3/4 high wall could be an attractive and affordable solution. It would make the dining area more intimate yet still allow light and flow between the two spaces. If there is enough space in the dining area then you could build in a buffet on that side of the wall. There probably would be room to center your settee on the half wall on the entry side.
2 Likes   October 13, 2012 at 3:37PM
Alexia Kalantzis
You can add a nice foyer table like these photos I've attached
2 Likes   October 13, 2012 at 3:51PM
Alexia Kalantzis
I believe the column is structural as well otherwise it wouldn't be there
1 Like   October 13, 2012 at 3:52PM
nanainatl
You said you already have a foyer so why not use this room as you mentioned. Put an L-shaped sectional in front of the pole with the longer part against the pole & the shorter section or even better a chaise section coming into the empty space. Behind that put a sofa table with a small lamp, some books and/or other accessories. Put your TV on the wall next to the stairs. You could put a small club chair or an occasional chair with that little table & a lamp on the wall where the two chairs now sit (that is the wall to the left when you enter from the foyer). That would be a nice reading area but you would still have a view of the TV. A rug in front of the sofa would ground the area & add some texture & color. With this layout you still have movement around the space & the entire room remains open. And this would not require hiring a structural engineer or contractor or even a decorator as you already have done a nice job in your dinning area. Good luck.
3 Likes   October 13, 2012 at 8:32PM
Adrianne D.
Thanks for all the advice everyone! Now that I think about it, am certain that it is a structural column. This house flooded during Hurricane Katrina. I bought it after it flooded and remember seeing a round metal pole where the column is now. We covered it in sheetrock at the time because we couldn't afford a steel beam to remove it and redistribute the weight.

We recently had this house on the market but after a failed contract (the buyers got cold feet at the very last minute), we decided to take it off of the market, invest some money into it and make it what we want. I would really like to use that space as a big family room with space for the television and maybe a small game table.

Right now our family room shares space with the kitchen (open concept) but it is very small. I am thinking to switch the family room and dining rooms. If I make the dining room less formal, surely it can share space with the kitchen (right?). Then I can use the dining room/2nd foyer as one large living space.
4 Likes   October 13, 2012 at 8:53PM
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
Sounds like a good plan.
0 Likes   October 13, 2012 at 9:08PM
PRO
Leya Matalas
my first reaction was to add the second column and build in a console table- Just as was demonstrated above. This gives it form and function, looking planned as opposed to " watch out for the pole". In the rendition from Elise, its filled in, but you can think about a 2 way glass gas fire underneath. I dont know if its already been said, I havent had a chance to read it all.
1 Like   October 13, 2012 at 9:34PM
PRO
Cancork Floor Inc.
What about glass bricks to give a more intimate feel to the dining area without blocking light? I've seen this work very well in spaces that have awkward features. The install is relatively easy and the effect is modern and immediate. Have a look at some photos that show glass brick to get a feel for their effects.
1 Like   October 13, 2012 at 9:44PM
duneya
I think it would look great if you put a potted plant in front of it (maybe about 5 ft tall) and a console table next to the column. Put some interesting things on the table and it would be a beautiful divider between the dining area and this room. It would make it almost impossible to bump into also
0 Likes   October 13, 2012 at 11:14PM
visionaire1
I would cover the column in mirror. it will reflect the light while making itself less noticeable in the space.
3 Likes   October 14, 2012 at 12:02AM
PRO
KHI Designs
I think the key to this may be what is behind the white door? Is this a closet?

In the last photo of the additional photos you sent, it looks like the column is in line with the corner of the wall near the white door. With a distance of maybe 8' or so from column to corner. Remember, if you take the cladding off the column, it is going to be much smaller. Sometimes these columns can be hidden within the thickness of a wall. If you repurpose the rooms as you described then this white door may be the key to building a wine or service bar. Use the closet (?) - take the door off - as a cabinet built-in, even add a wine cooler, countertop, and cabinets for storage. Add a bar top from the column to the corner by the white door with a header that could contain down lighting.

You really need to think out of the box on this one. It is difficult to establish a flow without seeing a floor plan. If you could sketch up a thumbnail first floor plan it would be the best view in formulating a solution. Space plan, flow, and usage are the keys to integrating the column. The sketch wouldn't necessarily have to be to scale for the first go-round. Just a rough.

I love the idea of bringing a more casual dining room over to the FR location. I think that eliminating the DR from the equation may lead to a large entertaining room with separate groupings/areas for multi-functions.

Great house - love the staircase!! Best of luck!
0 Likes   October 14, 2012 at 4:59AM
pivoines
I also think to double the effect is the way to go, but also, paint it the trim color, not the wall color (it is a trim ). If you want open concept , no half wall as the effect will definitely cut up the space.
1 Like   October 14, 2012 at 5:29AM
Adrianne D.
Here is a copy of the floor plan though it does not outline the pole or the closet under the stairs.
0 Likes   October 14, 2012 at 6:02AM
PRO
KHI Designs
Adrianne,

This is just a great layout and I think we might be on an interesting track here. If you make the existing den the DR then what you left with on the opposite side is a great big Great Room. This bar concept might just work.

Think of a hotel lobby where it is broken up into small dedicated spaces. You could do a small conversation area in line with the foyer, which is where you will get your eye appeal and WOW factor (maybe all chairs). Then create a media area where the dining room is now (using a sofa and chairs here). All cozy groupings done solely by the placement of furniture arrangement, possibly with area rugs and some plants to define the spaces and set boundaries. Very artsy and unique!!

Karen
0 Likes   October 14, 2012 at 6:43AM
PRO
lowesphil53
add a dotted line for the closet and column... it will be easier to see exactly where they occur...
1 Like   October 14, 2012 at 6:45AM
dsma
To do this inexpensive, just look for a divider like a big open shelf with cubbies so you could divide the rooms but it will still look open. But add another column on the other side it would look sharp.
0 Likes   October 14, 2012 at 6:54AM
PRO
Pam Ozment
I agree with adding a second matching column for balance, then mirror them both (any glass company can do that).They will add architectural detail, along with some light and a touch of glamour...
1 Like   October 14, 2012 at 7:00AM
pamahl
EMBRACE the column. Mirrors, artwork, lighting and floor plants could all enhance it and create a bit of a focal point in the room. Cool.
0 Likes   October 14, 2012 at 7:22AM
PRO
Mandi Smith T Interiors
Late to the party! But I two would add a second column. I would not do a built in console, rather I would find a console table I loved, then let this dictate where the second column needs to be placed. I would add a pair of table lamps on the console table and float the sofa in front of the console table (I would then add a pair of chairs with a table between them on the curved wall area (chairs are much easier to adjust on a curved wall). Now you have a room divider that feels purposeful, yet you still get the visual openness between the two spaces. Also, I loved the comment/idea on making your current den the dining room. Very clever. As for the current dining space (which would then become part of the great room), I would do four chairs all facing a round coffee table in that space. This would be a fabulous gathering spot. Also, by creating a separate seating area in that spot, the columns make sense as a divider of the two seating areas.
2 Likes   October 14, 2012 at 7:39AM
PRO
Mandi Smith T Interiors
I meant "I too!" Sorry! M.
0 Likes   October 14, 2012 at 7:40AM
PRO
Head Turning Design
The column looks wimpy, but it's not - Thank it for holding up the house you live in & give it the attention it's craving. It's strong. I think it's begging to be a fireplace. Think stone... Then add a great sectional with a fur throw & enjoy the party!
Further, I'd paint the small door & it's surrounding trim, the same as the wall color. Think about it - why would you want to draw your eye to what appears to be a closet door. A utilitarian closet, although appreciated space, shouldn't steal the spotlight from the gorgeous curves of the stairway.
0 Likes   October 14, 2012 at 7:56AM
Otter Banks
I would put a rectangular mirror on the wall with a table under it . This way it cuts the line of the column and looks more like part of the entryway. Also have to agree that if possible you could create a wall and partially close off the dining area. Even if the wall does not go all the way up to the ceiling and perhaps had some lighting up there. It does seem to be structural though. Can't image that someone put a column like that in the room unless they had to. Change the banisters to wood, the metal is not framing the stairway and the drapes must be floor length.
0 Likes   October 14, 2012 at 8:00AM
PRO
I hate to play devil's advocate here but she says this room is only about 15 feet wide once you account for the staircase/closet. If the existing column is 15 to 18 inches wide and 5 or 6 feet away from the wall then it is going to get crowded if she adds another column, I think. That assumes she will try to keep it symmetrical. If it is truly wider than 15 feet that might be an option but will partially defeat the desire for an open space. I will say that the suggestion to add a built in console/server was before I understood that the dining room was going to move.

There are lots of good suggestions above - another might be to add a cabinet with a TV lift that can spin to be viewed from different sides and angles. Then it disappears when not in use. If considering the suggestion for a small bar under the stairs then a counter might be able to be worked into this plan to emcompas the column in a way that is charming. I would address all of the other furnishings first and then let the column tell me what it wants to be. Sometimes we have to "design backwards".
0 Likes   October 14, 2012 at 8:20AM
Adrianne D.
Here is the space with the column and closets drawn in. The space between the column and closet wall is 5 feet. The space between the column and the opposite wall is 10 ft., 8 inches. The column itself is 10 inches square
0 Likes   October 14, 2012 at 8:29AM
mellony
Hello from London! I am an interior designer and if you were a client of ours we would triple split mirror this column. Mirror each side panel split into 3 horizontal pieces all,with a 3mm bevel around each piece of mirror edge....inexpensive and would bring some energy & bounce light into this room. Ditch the thin voile drape and hang a single curtain high to the right hand side maybe A nice contempory linen to match the curve stair case....good luck! M&S....DaRoom
1 Like   October 14, 2012 at 9:10AM
sjmom
If you cannot get rid of the column work with it and around it. There are some great ideas given already so I would just add whatever you do consult with a professional.
1 Like   October 14, 2012 at 9:34AM
PRO
Skote Contracting
Do not take the column out its holding the weight of your home.Try changing the shape or add trim to "brighten "it up
0 Likes   October 14, 2012 at 9:55AM
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
Other than removing the column, I think your only other option is to add the second false column and make it look intentional. If I am understanding your dimensions correctly, the overall dimension from wall to wall is 16'-4". You have 5'-0" from the closet to the outside of the column. If you add the column 5'-0" from the other wall, and fill in the center portion with a low wall you have a center divider (outside column to outside column) of 6'-4". Rather than making this a divider with the TV in it, I would simply make it a "sofa table", backing up a loveseat on either side. This creates two seating areas, mirror images of each other. On what is now the dining room side, you could create the game table area by adding a table and chairs with the loveseat (you will need one that has a rather firm, high seat) and you can create more of a TV viewing/comfortable seating area on the opposite side. Is there just the one window on the front of the house? Perhaps the TV could be wall mounted to the right of this or put in a built-in shelf/storage unit. OR, looking back at your drawing, perhaps the TV could go on the common kitchen wall (better space for it, I think) and the game area goes towards the front of the house. This could be very pretty when you enter. It could also serve as another dining space it you need it when entertaining, and if by some chance you open the closet and turn it into a bar area, that could be useful as a serving area (could you put a closet in the foyer where the table is now?). It looks like you would also have room to add another seating area on the front wall, maybe a reading area.

As far as the barn wood goes, your house seems like it is more refined than that. The staircase is very pretty and elegant, I wouldn't fight that by adding such a coarse material. I would finish off the "sofa table wall" to match the rest of the room finishes. The only thing I might do is finish the columns and wall with painted. paneled wood and trim, rather than the painted drywall - this will make it feel more built-in. Select the furniture before you decide on the height - you will want it to be even with or slightly below the sofa back height. Be sure to add electrical in - this will give you a place to put lamps. In the false column, you could even add a door with a touch-latch where you could store DVDs or whatever other small items you might want to keep.

Good luck with your decisions. It's a pretty space.
1 Like   October 14, 2012 at 10:03AM
benniebonita
Add column enclose table ,light passes through ,books,flowers additional space or built in tv or cupboard. open planned is only nice when you have places for things don't take it down live with it all that work for the size of a stool shelving gives you a place for your flowers that your happy husband can afford now : )to buy for you
2 Likes   October 14, 2012 at 10:34AM
gumby6506
A pool table would fit nicely in that space and the column could be used to hang pool cues or a chalk cone....or how about using it as an exercise room? Treadmill or exercise bike and maybe a flat screen tv to hang on the wall? I like the column personally, adds character to the room.
0 Likes   October 14, 2012 at 11:11AM
dreamlaughalot
Floating room dividers that serve dual purpose with shelves and/or cabinets IKEA
0 Likes   October 14, 2012 at 12:00PM
dcostello82
I would go the way of the room divider by adding a pillar and making shelves for your boasting things for your guests to see.It will help with the beams and make a nice room divider. make the smaller room a salon with just a small settee or 2 small lounge chairs and a small tea table in the middle.
0 Likes   October 14, 2012 at 1:21PM
Diane Waterloo
Make the column larger and trim it out with upper and lower moldings for trim = can put a light coming off it for reading and a chair next to it - add a large round rug to incase the frame of the staircase to cement the room...
0 Likes   October 14, 2012 at 1:25PM
PRO
What is the size of your family? Who will be using this room on a regular basis?
0 Likes   October 14, 2012 at 3:44PM
PRO
Leya Matalas
This was what I would do:
0 Likes   October 14, 2012 at 4:21PM
lechezz
You could expand the column which ever way would work and mount your t.v. on it, or as above add a recessed gas fireplace.... actually it might be overkill.... but you could do both... fireplace on one side... t.v. on the other????
0 Likes   October 14, 2012 at 4:54PM
PRO
KHI Designs
Adrianne,

Here is a rough conceptual space plan. Very small, I hope you can read the text on the drawing. Feel free to question anything you would like clarified.

I actually made the existing column wider than it is now, but kept the same depth. The bar can stop at the closet or go all the way to the outside wall. When it is measured out exactly this will help decide that issue. If it goes to the closet only - you will be able to fit only 2 bar stools - if you take it to the outside wall, you can fit 3 stools. I hope this helps.

Use that purple couch! Awesome with the grey on the walls. Good job!

Karen
0 Likes   October 14, 2012 at 4:56PM
PRO
KHI Designs
Too big a file - I'll try again!

Karen
1 Like   October 14, 2012 at 5:05PM
LEYA Matalas
I highly doubt its anything BUT a structural support beam, in which case the removal is expensive- you'd have to use a steel beam.. Id go with the design solution.
0 Likes   October 14, 2012 at 5:27PM
PRO
I like KHI Designs solution very much with 2 or 3 edits. One of the chairs in the TV area appears to be in front of the door to the bathroom (I assume that is where the door leads based on the floorplan). The front room by the stairs is a traffic area and looks a tad crowded so would consider deleting one chair if this is drawn to scale. If the closet is not needed I would extend the bar under the stairs and use an armoire in the entry to take its place.
0 Likes   October 14, 2012 at 5:35PM
jillybeansisme
In a heartbeat I would make the den my new dining space. It would be lovely. I adore your staircase! It is beautiful. Are you a musical family? If so, I would make that area a music area with mini baby grand piano and other music equipment. If not, then I would probably put a game table and chairs in the area. I would trick out the column and make it sort of triangular with storage and a built-in comfy bench facing the game table area and some of the storage (like shelves and cabinet/wine rack space) on the other sides. I love plants (real or silk) and might incorporate plants and a columnar fish tank (even if just goldfish) in the curved stairway area -- it could still have a framed mirror to add dimension and light. If that is a closet door, I would replace the door with a "hidden room door". People will think it's a piece of furniture, but it opens like a door when you need to get into the closet! This way you incorporate the "door" as a piece of furniture. Then I would be putting my couch, loveseat, chairs and TV on the other side of the "triangular" column with the tv placed so it could be seen from the game table area. Now people can do a puzzle, homework, snacks etc. while in the "family room" and somebody can be lounging in the triangular seat area reading a book while everyone else is in the television area. If you're having a party you have a landing place for food! But I sure do love that stairwell!
0 Likes   October 14, 2012 at 5:39PM
angela428
Lot of people on this one, I have only looked at the photos, but the room is still 20 x X with a column.
So use the column as shown above, why would you remove it, people put columns in, If you dislike the color than cover it in marble the tree design is nice is onyz and would look great on a square column. well you would need two and make a seat on the top at 18 inches and a bookcase underneath. or expand it more and make it a small bar area for drinks, there are a ton of drawings up top, great space, embrace it.
0 Likes   October 14, 2012 at 5:48PM
PRO
Interiors International
I think there is a huge advantage into having the dining room be in its own space. I would actually extend the column to make a wall big enough to take a mirror, and to enhance the separation between the dining room and the foyer. And yes, the curtains should be more formal and go full to the ground, and a pier table or console with a bit mre scale at the bottom of the stairs.
0 Likes   October 14, 2012 at 5:59PM
amature
Looks like a living room. (?) There are a lot of colors and components going on that distract from the beauty of the room = curving staircase and big windows. Blinds and patterned curtains - curtains really needed? and they feel like they are in the way of the bottom step and not going to the floor feels off. Can you just use the blinds for a simpler look? Colored walls and white ceiling seem to cut the room off at the stairs - paint ceiling a lighter shade of the walls to make it flow up.Ceiling fixture seems in the way visually of the stair's beauty - something flush which also might not bring the ceiling down. Small table by stairs is too small for the space. A grouping of pictures or a oval table? An inexpensive version could be plywood base with simple, tailored solid table cloth. Column - 2 ideas - curving staircase vs. square column seem to fight. Make it round and add another round one. Or keep the square and build a low bookcase , storage unit or wall between them and put the couch in front of that. If the column is in the wrong place to put two how about moving the one you have and putting the two spaced appropriately in the opening. That also directs the traffic from the stairs along the wall where the small table and door is. Agree with another person to paint the door the color of the wall. If you don't use that closet a lot put a slideable fabric wall hanging instead of the door. Also to simplify the look how about making the column one color rather than painting the trim white. Again the contrast seems to break up the room. Just read your idea of switching the f.r. and dining room - it looks like you have children (?) well do you really want to have their space (mess/toys) next to your adult space? Isn't it nice to have an adult space to go to for a break. If the family room feels too small do you have good storage, too may toys out to play with - try swapping them out periodically? To simplify the space it would also be nice to have the hat rack in the front hall rather than the living room space. And lastly to simplify - pictures, mirror seem small for the wall space they are on - group them? And if you need something to fill a big space use a piece of fabric , branches/twigs in a basket, collection of baskets, plates whatever makes you happy ...enjoy the process!
0 Likes   October 14, 2012 at 6:36PM
Adrianne D.
Thanks everyone! The house is 2250 sqft and we are a family of 4....we have a 4 year old and a 1 year old. We are quicky growing out of the house but I think that we could stretch several more years out of it if we convert the dining room and 2nd foyer to more usable living space. I like the idea that this could even be done without moving the column!!

I am attaching some additional pictures of the current den (which will be the new dining room) and the kitchen space that it shares. I am also sending a picture of the exterior.

Thank you all so much!! I was very upset thatbthe sale of our house fell through. You guys are helping me to see that with a few changes, I will fall in love with my house all over again!
0 Likes   October 14, 2012 at 6:42PM
PRO
Joe Howard Fine Cabinetry
Agreed that column is probably structural = however, you CAN replace with an exposed beam that would extend from one wall plate to another.... Please hire a licensed contractor to do this work - we have seen so many "flub" jobs that result in sagging of the upper story, cracked drywall, and more! Your city building code enforcement department can recommend licensed contractors if you don't know any - don't take word of mouth advice - there are lots and lots of unqualified people who call themselves contractors... In our area, replacing a column with a beam is something we have done many times. Exposed beams were not in vogue in the past, but they add character and charm... and can also serve as a visual division between spaces! When in doubt, a structural engineer is worth the money -
1 Like   October 14, 2012 at 6:46PM
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
Cool house, Adrianne! Thanks for the additional photos. I just had one thought on switching your den and dining. With young children, don't they play in the den while you are in the kitchen? When we moved into our house - an1890 Victorian - I changed the dining room (adjacent to the kitchen) INTO the den because I had young children. We still use it this way. Question: what is on the kitchen wall common to the dining room? Is that a kitchen table and chairs I see on that wall? Could you open that wall up at all? If you could, I think you might enjoy your switcheroo even more because you'd be able to see into the living area. I think that would make the house flow even better. In addition, it looks like you might be able to capture some of the light from the dining room windows (is the kitchen a bit dark?) If you switch the rooms now and then at some point want to switch them back, it would also make sense from a serving point for the dining room. Or, you could open it up and put your kitchen table in the current dining room. Could this even double as your game table? If you did what I recommended in my earlier post, you could make the one side of the low wall a banquette. Or, perhaps if this becomes a casual eating area you would want to make the low wall storage on that side. I would make the finished counter of the kitchen opening 42" above the floor - the optimum serving height. You could even make this a counter with stools, depending upon how casual you want it to be. Is this making sense? Basically, I think it makes your rooms even more interchangeable. Also, there are ways of creating the opening with shutters/doors, if you like the idea of being able to close it off. This would be a low-cost project (depending somewhat, of course, on how you finish it off) and I think might make a bigger difference in how you use your house even more than fixing the column will. Just an idea!
0 Likes   October 14, 2012 at 8:04PM
Adrianne D.
I would love to open up that space but I am not sure that I could. Between the kitchen and the current dining room is the AC return, a small powder room, and a pantry (all running next to each other in a 3x15ish space). I know that the main water line runs in that powder room, so I don't think I can remove it.

Right now we use the sunroom off of the dining room as a playroom. I was thinking that we could continue to use that as a place to contain the toys and the children (lol!) while hanging out in the den.. Since the kids hang with us in the kitchen while we are cooking anyway, I was thinking that an actual dining table would give them more space to sit and spread out (color, puzzle...homework eventually). The only "eating space" we have in our current kitchen and den is a small counter area with barstools and our ottoman. There is no kitchen table right now and the dining room seems too out of the way and impractical most days for us all to eat there.
1 Like   October 14, 2012 at 8:36PM
PRO
Sunil Chaha,Sr.Vastu & Fengshui Consultant.
well, there is no need of column in between.but before removing it you have to go with a strong downbeam in the roof, which can be covered by the down ceiling.moreover, the downbeam is necessay that there is possibility of pillar/colum's extensions at the first floor.but my dear friend, age of the unhidden pillars / columns has gone now.
0 Likes   October 14, 2012 at 9:41PM
ashantombi
Well, what fantastic views and ideasbut I would not fool around with structural things. Leave the column where it is. However, my penny in the pond is to agree with Mellony from London; cover the column with mirrors. I would add, however, for you to change the closet door to something less obvious, then place a large container with plants in the corner under the stairs. ( Move the small table somewhere else). You have a gorgeous window there, so change your seating to accommodate something like a reading corner. Put in a cd player for background music. And put a stunning ROUND throw on the floor - just to bind everything there together, but not to hide that beautiful wooden floor. See, hardly any costs!! Enjoy!
0 Likes   October 14, 2012 at 11:56PM
PRO
Sunil Chaha,Sr.Vastu & Fengshui Consultant.
well thanks joe howrah for putting my views.our friend has to take the help of a qualified engineer, who will visit at the site and acess the width of the downbeam pliiar.best wishes.
0 Likes   October 15, 2012 at 12:33AM
amature
Since you have the children playing in the sun room then switching the den and the dining room looks like it might work. The drawing on the graph paper looks nice.. But can you really fit the furniture and a bar with stools? Would a solid wall and a couch there give you more seating for TV viewing? Maybe the TV on that solid wall so you don't see it so much and the couches along the kitchen wall and between the windows? Putting the two chairs in that space facing the windows might give a more open feeling. Having the sitting area by the staircase hugging the front window looks good because then the traffic flow goes around it from the front door and to and from the kitchen and not thru it. Best of luck. Most of us have had to deal with less than ideal homes and tried to make the best of them!
0 Likes   October 15, 2012 at 1:39AM
April Burrows
I see you already have so many great suggestions! I couldn't read them all. I am no interior decorator, but I love decorating. That being said, I would definitely put in a nice area rug, maybe something like this: http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Chamberlain_Area_Rug/150/. I don't see the need in removing the column because it is a nice way to separate the dining area. Adding another column like one person said above and creating lighting or shelving between columns would be nice. You should move the love seat away from the column and add a chair or two. This could be an area for guests to socialize. You could add some art on the walls, and I also love the idea of a foyer table!
0 Likes   October 15, 2012 at 8:52AM
frasier4
I am sorry I kind of like it. But the color? Maybe either help it blend in by painting it the same as the other walls or maybe a really bold color like Burgandy. You could repurpose it as wine storage by having one side or both sides having racks up the side and store wine maybe if room have have a small "bar like" counter installed with spots for wine glasses. If the counter was long enough - or maybe use an antique console table- you could use it as part of a buffett for the dinning room
0 Likes   October 15, 2012 at 4:55PM
Renee Crosby
I think your original concerns (besides hating the column) is the square footage to gain. I don't think you can gain the square footage. So next step is deal with the column. I feel like the door is the key. Put an area rug there and a small table to the side to make that part an entry way with a mirror over the console table. Another idea would be to place a large floor mirror leaning on that wall next to the door as part of the entry. It is not part of the living room. So don't treat it as an interruption to the living area. Treat it separately. I think once you get past that- I think the living room arrangement will flow for you better. My suggestion for redesign is to remove from the living room everything after you make an entry way. Then start over. No drapery or anything. I think you'll find you will naturally recreate the space!
0 Likes   October 15, 2012 at 7:57PM
sharonaandlime
Paint column entirely white and maybe change base moulding to match its ceiling moulding. It may look a little better.
0 Likes   October 15, 2012 at 8:12PM
Mark Rousso
I just went through this -and my guess is it's most likely load-bearing. First, have a reputable and licensed structural engineer come out to look at it (this visit is approx $300-500). He'll need your blueprints, he'll take measurements and possibly put small holes in the drywall to see what he's dealing with. He'll then leave and do a ton of calculations based on his measurements and your property and explain your options (That portion was an additional $900). Usually the options are either steel or wood support that would reach along the entire room most likely, and depending how far the beam has to go will depend on whether you use a thinner steel beam or a much larger wood beam. Steel can be much thinner vs. an equally strong but much thicker piece of wood (I had room in my ceiling so they hid a $100 wood beam instead of the $1500 steel option). From there it's having your contractor deal with the permits and opening up the ceiling, installing whichever option you went with and closing everything up. This sounds like a lot of effort but it's really not ---and it's so worth it - I doubled my usable living room space and the whole thing cost me about $3,500 and took only a few weeks (only actually 2 days of physical labor - the real time is waiting for the contractor, the engineer's calculations, permits, stuff like that). Good luck!!!!!
1 Like   October 15, 2012 at 8:29PM
swewer
Yes, put in a second column to balance it out. Then run a half height wall with molding to anchor the space. Try putting a faux ficus tree up next to the column to semi camouflage it. Dont be afraid to use a beautiful area rug when creating this living room space
0 Likes   October 15, 2012 at 8:39PM
heather888
Your column was put there for a reason - undoubtly for structural reasons, it will cost you big bucks to remove it and put in an I beam. I'd make a lovely reading area, big over stuffed chair with ottoman, side table and a large decortative lamp that reachs over to the chair for good light. I wouldn't change anything unless you don't mind spending unnesseccary money.
0 Likes   October 15, 2012 at 8:45PM
kskousen
I would start by moving your sofa away from the column. It draws attention to it by backing it right up to it.
0 Likes   October 15, 2012 at 10:15PM
deb jo
Hello Adrianne, for all thats is worth I find the column really pretty and also find the idea of a faux one real good as well. But if you want to play around before committing to something permanent, you can try to make the column and the space itself more useful as a sitting place with a small bench or chaise lounge, depending on your style and budget. Also you can use sweethome3D for ideas and redecorating without actually moving any furniture. Good Luck!
0 Likes   October 16, 2012 at 1:41AM
PRO
Mint Design
Consider returning to the round column, painted to match your room and surrounding it with 360 degree seating. Move the dining to the den if it extends too far into the dining area. Alternately you could surround the column with a 360 buffet...round or square with storage beneath. Mirror or hang prints or plates on the column if you like..
1 Like   October 17, 2012 at 3:21PM
silifi
Paint it! Make stencils of designs that please you. Turn it into an art piece! Add texture and make into a sculpture. Could be very very funky and fun. Do you like totems?
0 Likes   October 24, 2012 at 8:42AM
bivanka
if u can;t get rid of it ,then it is best to seperate the room by having a long and hip heght cabinet.that way the column will dissapear.and use the front room ( with the stairway)as a living room with a t.v on the wall .that way the sofa should back the cabinet!! just an idea...
0 Likes   October 27, 2012 at 3:19AM
bivanka
and paint the column white and round it if u can!!!
0 Likes   October 27, 2012 at 3:20AM
apennameandthata
You have a column, so you have two small rooms and not one big one. Deep breath... zen acceptance of pain and impermanence... in 100 years the column will be gone... and decorate the space as two different rooms, with different rugs and etc.
0 Likes   October 27, 2012 at 5:39AM
apennameandthata
Others have posted in Houzz with this problem. I suggest you search the threads.
0 Likes   October 27, 2012 at 5:40AM
carbary
I would add a weighty round table in the curve of the stairs to draw the eye away from the Column. Put a bar set up as a flow into dining area. In the center of the room I would add 4 club chairs. A rug and a round large coffee table. Great meeting area for before dinner add a few floating chairs on the walls. Anchor walls opposite column with large art with lighting. Drawing your eye away from column.
0 Likes   December 24, 2012 at 7:32PM
Adrianne D.
Thanks everyone for the comments!!! Here are the results..... as always, suggestions are welcome!
2 Likes   June 29, 2013 at 8:48AM
nanainatl
Very nice job. The pole does not stand out at all. It may be a little dark sitting at the table. An electrician could probably fish a wire in the ceiling from the current fixture location to over the table where you could hang a fixture.
0 Likes   June 29, 2013 at 1:11PM
pjprather
If it is not weight bearing, take it out. It adds nothing to your lovely room. Will not be that difficult to remove. Make sure it is not a weight bearing column!
0 Likes   June 29, 2013 at 1:17PM
pjprather
Love the wood floors!
0 Likes   June 29, 2013 at 1:18PM
sharpkl
I didn't read every comment so pardon me if I am repeating. I would put four club chairs around an ottoman for a conversation area. Beautiful home!
0 Likes   June 29, 2013 at 1:22PM
jwhitt1
Dance!
0 Likes   January 18, 2014 at 9:29AM