powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Ideas for re-upholstering mid century rocker - help!
darcyanne
October 14, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Got this chair from my grandma's place and think it has great potential. And I hate the colour. I have a $400 budget to redo it.

My living room has beige couches with red and orange pillows, a giant 6 foot oil painting w reds, yellows and oranges, and dining room (open and right behind) has a dark orange feature wall.

Was mulling a pattern for the chair, but want to honour its mid-century roots. Would welcome your ideas!

Ps - ugly white curtains being swapped out soon!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Artisan Upholstery Studio
www.winterbeachmodern.com has vintage fabric from this era. I've had clients who ordered fabric from them for a 1960's set, and it looks great...and very authentic.

Personally, I'd choose a pop of colour that you love. It would make an excellent accent piece.
October 14, 2012 at 10:19am     
Dennis Hattermann
Go for a pop of red. You'll be happy with it. If you want, add a geeometric material pattern...red with beige circles/ What fun!
October 14, 2012 at 10:44am     
judianna20
Try a color popular then. Something different from what you have.

October 14, 2012 at 10:59am     
feeny
LOVE the chair (even in its current color). Definitely worth recovering, and since it doesn't take too much fabric your budget should be more than adequate. I agree the current color doesn't look good in your room, but personally I'd avoid a pattern. A solid with some texture would look great and would work with the chair's mid-century modern design. What about picking up the reddish-orange from your pillows and artwork? Or the brown (if you don't want to go bright)?
October 14, 2012 at 11:03am   
darcyanne
All great ideas! Do you think a red could clash with the orange dining wall though? It's right behind (see second photo)
October 14, 2012 at 12:05pm   
feeny
There are lots of different shades of reds and oranges in your artwork and throw pillows. I think as long as you stayed with one of those shades (i.e. orangey reds) you'd be fine. Your room is already mixing reds and oranges really nicely, so I don't think the orange wall would be a problem as long as you keep the palette consistent by drawing on shades you are already using.
October 14, 2012 at 12:14pm     
amatollah
Have seen chairs like this done in geometric patterns like chevron, etc.....touch of modern and unique...cute
October 27, 2012 at 8:46pm   
PRO
FOCAL POINT STYLING
A tiny houndstooth or glen plaid (both are B&W) could add a subtle layer of pattern into your space. Could also pipe lines & pop buttons in a camel leather (would work with the wood).
October 27, 2012 at 8:54pm   
houssaon
It looks like the fabric is in good conditon. Could you paint it using fabric paint? Candice Olson did that once on one of her shows. I also like FOCAL POINT STYLING suggestion with the camel piping and a black and white houndstooth.
October 27, 2012 at 9:01pm   
Holly Griffith
I like dark gray or brown w/ a red tone on tone floral pillow. Cute place!
October 27, 2012 at 9:58pm   
livindoll
I agree add some colour that is in your painting and maybe incorporate more circles from drapes.
October 27, 2012 at 11:36pm   
TanCalGal
I'd do it in black, black leather if possible.
October 28, 2012 at 12:54pm     
hockey456
Love the fabric paint idea. I remember Candace Olson that too. I like the chair the color it is. The fact that it doesn't match your existing orange makes it interesting. Consider using the fabric paint to color just the tufting buttons and piping a dark orange. Hey, if it doesn't work or you don't like it, you were planning to reupholster anyway.
October 29, 2012 at 12:48am   
darcyanne
Okay, it's been a while.

I fell in love with this fabric -- http://www.dwellstudio.com/fabric-patterns/vintage-blossom/vintage-blossom-citrine.html

Think it's too crazy for the chair?

Ps - plan is to put chair in baby room, when we have one...
February 17, 2013 at 6:45pm     
PRO
nFORMAL design
Do something fun like so...
February 17, 2013 at 6:52pm     
darcyanne
Or something like this? http://www.amazon.com/Premier-Prints-Dandelion-Yellow-Fabric/dp/B0042TUJBK/ref=pd_sim_ac_48
Could stand the test of time a bit more
February 17, 2013 at 7:38pm     
wyndyacre
Love the more muted yellow of the dandeilon print. Very attractive and you're right about it being more versatile for the long run. Will look cute in a child's room eventually too!
February 17, 2013 at 7:46pm     
PRO
nFORMAL design
Being furniture designers, we think you can really do whatever you want, but as that above pattern shows us, something in the vein of traditional mid-century modern (since that is a mid-century chair) will stand the test of time. It IS 65-ish years old and people still think it's cool. Our professional opinion would be to go solid or GO BOLD with the pattern. Mid-century was about progress and reinvention...not about being subdued.

Here is another pattern...different color.
February 17, 2013 at 8:03pm   
darcyanne
I keep coming back to that yellow bird fabric. It speaks to me, or something.

Most of our furniture is pretty snooze -- we spent all of our money buying our first little house in Vancouver -- so it would be amazing to have something that really says "pow!"
February 17, 2013 at 8:43pm   
PRO
nFORMAL design
@darcyanne. You have to do what makes you happy. I'm just saying that being true to that chair and to mid-century would be to pick out a less traditional looking pattern, but obviously, you must choose what calls out to your heart.

Here is a classic in yellow...again, something true to mid-century. You might be able to find it with white dots.
February 17, 2013 at 9:05pm     
PRO
michael amendolara
I think the bird fabric has too large a repeat pattern for the chair and it would look cropped in a bad way. I like what nFORMAL sent you and their ideas. Shocking pink could be fun or chartreuse. Either check a swatch against the wood finish or se if your upholsterer will do a refinish for you that you like. I would choose colors that are unique to themselves and by that I mean they cannot be made mixing together your standard brew. You cannot, for example make a magenta by starting with red and adding other pigments. It's either magenta or it ain't! If you go for a pattern start looking from small to large and find something that suits the scale and style of the chair. I only want to twist a style forward in time like the new Victorians. Otherwise I think it looks anachronistic.
February 17, 2013 at 9:18pm     
Carolyn Hennes
I like the previous suggestion because it goes with your dining set-or if they have a harvest gold tweed shot with silver metallic, which I remember as I am also of that vintage.
February 17, 2013 at 9:28pm   
solraven
I love the chair, and the fabric, it's the wood tone that I would darken to a medium walnut.
February 17, 2013 at 9:44pm   
darcyanne
Okay, I get the vibe about the traditional and getting a smaller scale print. I'm falling out of love with the bird print. But I love the dandelion.

As for the wood, I agree a darker stain might be nice, but the original wood is in such perfect shape-- I'd hate to alter it... Yet.
February 17, 2013 at 9:53pm   
darcyanne
My idea for doing the chair in yellow came from this, but once I saw the yellow fabric swatches it seemed a bit boring. All of our couches are a solid colour, so the patterned idea seemed more fun.
February 17, 2013 at 10:17pm   
Maren Williams
A bold red & white graphic would look nice! Pull the color from the painting & the pillows without being matchy!
February 17, 2013 at 10:20pm     
spmm
The Victoria and Albert museum in London (the V&A) is a great place for fabric ideas this link is a search for fabrics from the 1800's. Hopefully :)
http://collections.vam.ac.uk/search/?listing_type=&offset=0&limit=15&narrow=&extrasearch=&q=Furnishing+fabric+1850's&commit=Search&quality=1&objectnamesearch=&placesearch=&after=&after-adbc=AD&before=&before-adbc=AD&namesearch=&materialsearch=&mnsearch=&locationsearch=
February 18, 2013 at 12:12am   
PRO
ASVInteriors
Hi Darcyanne, I understand about not wanting to go for a monochrome colour. However, I feel that your bird print (the original you showed us) is reminiscent of chinoiserie and given the look and feel of your home, I feel it would just jar.

I personally love the pattern presented by nFORMAL design. Also later, in a baby's room, I think the print would be fascinating to a little baby to focus on (apparently black and white patterns are extremely interesting to them) and you could use it now .... and later.

It is a lovely chair and I think you are right to take your time. Best of luck
February 18, 2013 at 2:29am   
PRO
nFORMAL design
Here are a couple of ideas...going with ASVInteriors ideas of interesting patterns. Both are actually designed in the mid-century era.
February 18, 2013 at 5:24am     
handymam
Love the example on the left, nFormal. That is what I was thinking of, but you were able to find and post. :)

darcyanne, you have a great look going on!!
February 18, 2013 at 5:36am   
darcyanne
Thanks Handymam! We don't have a huge budget for our place, but I love jazzing up thrift store finds and upcycling. Hoping that as we get a bit older we can invest in some nicer pieces.

And thanks so much for your input everyone -- I'll add a photo of the finished product when we get it back!
February 18, 2013 at 9:19am   
handymam
darcyanne, as you get older, you may find when you look back that the best stuff WAS from the thrift shop. You have great taste! Don't change your eclectic retro look until you want to!
February 18, 2013 at 12:24pm     
spmm
And of course from the mid 19th century lol there is the boldness of marimekko
http://usstore.marimekko.com/fabric/
February 19, 2013 at 2:08am     
hollybar
Cool chair. Maybe check out Modern Fabrics (they stock a lot of Knoll,Arc etc. deeply discounted) especially since you won't need a huge amount of yardage.
http://www.modern-fabrics.com/store/store.php?pg1-cid83.html
February 19, 2013 at 4:36am   
PRO
Urban Oasis
If it were me, i would go with a big pattern in fresh, bold colors because your couches are neutral. But, seeing that the fabric is in good condition, you could always use a big bold patterned cushion on it to change the look without spending much...
February 19, 2013 at 11:22am     
darcyanne
Chair is done -- ta-da!
Yellow w textured orange and red flecks, very mid Century. Thanks everybody!
April 14, 2013 at 10:27pm     
PRO
ASVInteriors
WoW! I feel 5 years old again!!! Well done, captured the epoch perfectly!
April 14, 2013 at 10:39pm     
ttufo
Hi DarcyAnne. The chair looks great. How much yardage did you end up buying?
April 28, 2013 at 7:34am     
Joan McLemore
Really great chair!
April 28, 2013 at 7:43am     
armygirl1987
That is awesome..
April 28, 2013 at 8:46am     
darcyanne
It's a yard and a half of fabric - it's not a big chair at all. We love it.
April 28, 2013 at 7:37pm     
darcyanne
And check out the ottoman we had redone to go with it. The pattern are tiny dog silhouettes :)
April 28, 2013 at 7:39pm     
pearlmelba
Wow love it. Hope your little dog also approves its so nice to have something in a home that has a history to it and of course sentimental
Value
Rather then all new Giving an old chair a new lease of life
Which you have done so well
Nice room
April 29, 2013 at 2:47am     
carolins
Absolutely lovely! That Ottoman is so cool. Great idea.
April 29, 2013 at 2:52am     
phelpskm
Cool chair
April 29, 2013 at 3:02am