Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Paint The Front Door or Leave it Alone?
foci88
October 18, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I just had my whole house painted and need an honest opinion about painting the front door in Benjamin Moore "Terra Cotta Tile 2090-30" (see pic) or leaving it how it looks in this photo? It was just painted the same cream color as the window panes but I think it could be more bold. My gut tells me to paint it Terra Cotta Tile to coordinate with the colors of the brick front steps. Leaving it cream color makes it sort of fade away. Help?! I only have until tomorrow morning to decide, then the painters are finished wtih the project! Please don't mention any other colors it could be at this point. I just need help deciding to leave it cream color or go with the Terra Cotta Tile color. Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. By the way, the house is located at the beach in FL so we wanted to lighten up the overall look of it.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
foci88
By the way, the pic is casting a shadow on front door but often it's in bright sun as it faces south.
0 Likes   October 18, 2012 at 6:28PM
PRO
Stanton Designs-online design services
Go with the terra cotta color....Your door gets a little lost and it would bring such a statement!
13 Likes   October 18, 2012 at 6:32PM
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
Go for it!
3 Likes   October 18, 2012 at 6:36PM
olldcan
Go for it, the door is just blending and needs a pop of colour. I was going to be super creative and be the first to ever suggest red.....but I wont :) LOL totally just kidding on the red.
1 Like   October 18, 2012 at 6:37PM
anitajoyce
Paint the door! It is very hard to see because of the overhang.
0 Likes   October 18, 2012 at 6:48PM
olldcan
Your pics aren't loading, please try again
0 Likes   October 18, 2012 at 6:54PM
foci88
Here's an overall view of the house (during paint process with previous colors) that should give you the whole perspective.
2 Likes   October 18, 2012 at 6:58PM
Kivi
Terra Cotta. The door in cream is kind of lost.
2 Likes   October 18, 2012 at 6:58PM
lesliemahler
Loved your house since your last posting. Go for the terra cotta!
0 Likes   October 18, 2012 at 7:30PM
olldcan
Oh it's so cute, yes do the terra cotta. Was part of it originally a schoolhouse
0 Likes   October 18, 2012 at 7:42PM
foci88
No it's always been a residence. It was built in 1930 from plans of a similar home in England. It's an English Tudor style. I will post more pics when it's completely finished (landscaping & paint). It's on the water so there is also an old boathouse, waterdock, guest apartment and separae garage. It's very unique home for Florida at the beach!
2 Likes   October 18, 2012 at 7:47PM
olldcan
You've go to be kidding, it's just precious. I just can't wait to see more pictures :)
3 Likes   October 18, 2012 at 7:49PM
foci88
candace, if you look at some of my other postings under my username you will see various pics of the property.
0 Likes   October 18, 2012 at 7:52PM
olldcan
Oh thank you, I'll check that out right now!!!!!!
0 Likes   October 18, 2012 at 8:03PM
Elise
Yes!
1 Like   October 18, 2012 at 8:05PM
edmarch
The easiest "Yes!" I'll give today. Paint it!
0 Likes   October 18, 2012 at 8:30PM
Sheila Steelman
I think the terra cotta colored door would extend the look of the brick stairs for a nice blending and open up the entry. Very lovely home.
2 Likes   October 18, 2012 at 8:32PM
Bonnie
Terra Cotta definitely! Make that door pop!
3 Likes   October 18, 2012 at 8:56PM
foci88
Thanks everyone for your help! It was definitely a landslide vote to paint the door the Terra Cotta color!!
1 Like   October 19, 2012 at 11:08AM
PRO
Glenda Cherry Photography
Paint it dark green to contrast with the trim. (Sorry for suggesting another color, but I think the terra cotta would look out of place.)
0 Likes   October 19, 2012 at 5:24PM
Nancy
Orange a deep dark orange.....
0 Likes   October 19, 2012 at 5:25PM
PRO
Les Constructions MontagneArt
Go Flashy Orange!!
0 Likes   October 19, 2012 at 5:28PM
Nancy
Valspar. VIP. Orange...a little brighter than the terra cotta....
1 Like   October 19, 2012 at 5:29PM
lreese123
The terra cotta is the perfect color for that door. Adorable home. Do it!
1 Like   October 19, 2012 at 5:32PM
housebert57
The Terra Cotta is a nice color but ..using more of a old brick red color would make it pop (and really do it for me). :-)
0 Likes   October 19, 2012 at 5:33PM
brendaob
love the little tourette?? did I spell that right darling home, I say try the terra cotta and if you hate it its only paint not a big deal. I think the terra cotta and that green may not go togather good luck
0 Likes   October 19, 2012 at 5:35PM
Nancy
Check this out.....
2 Likes   October 19, 2012 at 5:35PM
PRO
Richard Bubnowski Design LLC
Terra cotta will work, but you may also want to
consider painting the door the same as the window trim.
0 Likes   October 19, 2012 at 5:36PM
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Yup - should tie in with your brick colour - but add that colour somewhere else too so it makes sense - refer to Nancy's comment above...pulls it together....Good luck.
1 Like   October 19, 2012 at 5:38PM
Darlene Brill
Lower the black railing.....actually, get a nicer bigger one put on both sides.....then put huge ornate white posts on the corners of the top of the porch......add black wrought iron window decks (with or without flower boxes) - - THEN paint the door !! :) good luck!
1 Like   October 19, 2012 at 5:39PM
Nancy
House needs shutters and other color everywhere....on trim etc..flowers to match door in pots. Both sides of door...
0 Likes   October 19, 2012 at 5:43PM
AJ Bishop
I say paint it red... its good Feng Shui and draws good chi to your home.
0 Likes   October 19, 2012 at 5:43PM
Nancy
You are at the Beach in Florida. You need lots of bright color....
0 Likes   October 19, 2012 at 5:45PM
lwalford
The terra cotta would really pick up the metal roof on the turret as well as the front steps. I definitely think you are going in the right direction with that color.
0 Likes   October 19, 2012 at 6:06PM
Alison Guerriere
The terra cotta would be a definite improvement but even better would be a mahogany door. I agree with Darlene about changing the railing in some respect. I would also like to see big urn style planters outside your front door. An overlay over that drab walkway would also be good. Even better would be a stone walkway trimmed with brick. Here's the look I'm thinking of:
2 Likes   October 19, 2012 at 6:16PM
Elaine Hartley
Keep the clean look of the cream-green scheme but draw the eye to the door by picking out an eye-catching border in the grey of the roof.
0 Likes   October 19, 2012 at 6:17PM
janishill
Your house is really shaping up. It looks much better with the horrid shubbery gone. :-)

The terra cotta is nice but a little flat; a little dreary. It will not be a very inviting color in the shade of the overhang. How about something a little brighter and friendlier? I am looking at the turrett and thinking rust: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/rust#ce_s=rust

or
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/fireballorange

or
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/pumpkincream#ce_s=2168 (my favorite)

All of these have a little more life than the terra cotta.

Can hardly wait to see updated pictures!
0 Likes   October 19, 2012 at 6:19PM
Vito Villa
Paint, undoubtedly.
0 Likes   October 19, 2012 at 6:26PM
foci88
Just to clarify, you are all seeing a house built in 1930 currently under complete renovation. You are only seeing the front of the property in the previous pics so I've included more pics here (ie. part of boat house & guest apartment above double garage). Previously the front of the home looked like the pic I've attached here (dark green trim) but with so much of the work yet to be completed I understand it's hard to get the overall visual of the "new look" we're currently working toward (new exterior paint, roof, landscaping, etc... ) In fact, it's only just begun but the oveall goal is to brighten up the house since it's at the beach in FL (yet still retain it's classc tudor style), simplify the landscaping so the house is the primary focus, etc.... I think you get the idea! Hope to have it all completed in a month or so. Many of the colors we are painting the exterior will be incorporated into the new exterior awnings placed above some of the exterior windows to add color (not all windows will be covered like in pic but some still need to be due to the hot sun). We also think the awinings add character & charm at the beach. Thanks again for the ideas and yes I agree with adding color and making it more coastal so your ideas are all good ones. However, keeping the style of the home intact is also important to us because it's historical to the location. Thanks everyone for the tips and stay tuned...
1 Like   October 19, 2012 at 6:32PM
Nancy
Oh the awnings are great....peachy orange would be bright and awesome....beautiful home...
0 Likes   October 19, 2012 at 6:40PM
Renee
Terra Cotta. Door needs some pop!
0 Likes   October 19, 2012 at 6:42PM
syd34
i probably would paint the door the same color as you window trim. Very pretty color!! Good luck on whatever color you decide
0 Likes   October 19, 2012 at 6:48PM
bunchofdogs
It needs a turquoise knocked back with terra cotto underneath .
G
0 Likes   October 19, 2012 at 7:02PM
foci88
Digital images all look different on computers but the roof is actually tan in color with specs of brown in the tiles. Also, we considered painting the door in the same green as the trim but thought it needed more contrast to pop and not just blend in. Thus, we thought of grounding it with the brick steps which seems to work according to the feedback.
1 Like   October 19, 2012 at 7:04PM
woofwoof
Check out Dunn Edwards "Arabian Rd" or "Bar-b-que" -- warm orangey reds that make the green pop but aren't as harsh as fire engine red. Yes, it needs color.
0 Likes   October 19, 2012 at 7:05PM
sharonsf
Definitely terra cotta--it will give a needed pop of color
0 Likes   October 19, 2012 at 7:15PM
Marie Hamby
It does need color but be careful the color of the Brick orangey Steps .Don't get the Door so matchey
with the steps.It will look like there is no place to stop Marie
0 Likes   October 19, 2012 at 8:42PM
houzyadoin
Now that I see the decision is terracotta. Definitely do the Terracotta. But being just the door. You can paint it again another color if you don't like it. So why not!
1 Like   October 19, 2012 at 8:50PM
ajkl
Find a way to change the the roof line over the door. The slanted roof looks bad. Extend the pitched roof-line over it instead. Then go with an eggplant color for the door.
0 Likes   October 19, 2012 at 9:36PM
Kevin
Paint it!! Go for it , it's just paint , change the color of the door every spring, keep the neighbors talking! Looks great!!!!
0 Likes   October 19, 2012 at 10:06PM
lsimson
Terra Cotta - go for it. It will brighten the entryway to your home. And it will instantly cheer you up every time you arrive home!
0 Likes   October 19, 2012 at 10:22PM
foci88
ajkl, the roof line over the door is actually original to the house with the detailed wood joists holding it up. It actually looks really nice in person but hard to see the detail in the pic. The roof line right above the door (and then behind the triangle shape) forms an octagon dome roof that is higher. Again, hard to notice in pic. By the way, just not a fan of eggplant (purple) but I can see how others may like it!
0 Likes   October 19, 2012 at 10:39PM
foci88
ajkl, here's a pic of the slanted roof over the back door (similiar to front door) and the wooden detailed joists holding it up. Roof lines in English Tudor style homes are often very steep & slanted. It's part of the overall look.
1 Like   October 19, 2012 at 10:51PM
kelepouri
you guys...there are more important things in life,than just painting a door of a house...like a war in Syria,kids without any food daily,..paint it black
0 Likes   October 19, 2012 at 11:00PM
Kevin
Kelepouri- if your so worried about war and hungry kids then get off the site and do something, stop pushing your guilty conscious on other people. This is a home improvement site for home owners helping home owners with home improvement questions, so bugger off and go preach on another site theres lots of them out there for people like you who just want complain and wine, best of luck to you now go save the world and leave people alone who are just having a chat about home improvements!!
8 Likes   October 19, 2012 at 11:27PM
Nancy
Kevin. Amen to that.....
0 Likes   October 20, 2012 at 12:12AM
foci88
kelepouri , with so many more important things in life I'm not sure how you found the time to post a comment? How ironic. Preaching to the choir here about all of the world's problems with complete disregard for all of us who come to this site seeking home improvement ideas & advice is simply rude. Perhaps you enjoy making a fool of yourself, but rudeness is a weak man's imitation of strength and the world's problems will never be resolved by the weakest members of society.
5 Likes   October 20, 2012 at 1:09AM
irem_n
Unsurprisingly Kevin chose black... Like his attitude to life I would think!
1 Like   October 20, 2012 at 1:23AM
Kevin
To whom it may concern - if your not here to help with the home improvement questions , then please go else where to vent your short comings in life, bitching and complaints has it's own web page go there and find the help you need , thank you ,

Focci88- good luck with the painting of your door the house looks great! And it's sad that other people have to wreck a good site for home owners to ask questions and get others HELPFUL opinions on the project at hand!
0 Likes   October 20, 2012 at 2:10AM
PRO
Vikrant Sharma Homez
Try Bluestone or Honed Granite Steppers.
0 Likes   October 20, 2012 at 2:11AM
irem_n
Kevin I'm so sorry I used your name instead of kelepouri. My comment was for them not you. Apologies again!
0 Likes   October 20, 2012 at 2:35AM
Kevin
Irem_n Thanks! No worries !
1 Like   October 20, 2012 at 3:10AM
gingerclaire
I would be tempted to go a slightly paler pinker shade of orange - maybe something like Sherwin Williams SW 6628 Robust Orange would look good. Lovely house - I'm looking forward to seeing what you go for in the end!
2 Likes   October 20, 2012 at 3:45AM
Debra Fleming
do it! if you don't like it they sell other paint colors at the store.
1 Like   October 20, 2012 at 3:52AM
Cindy Fischer
If your looking to enhance the front of your house to give it more of a Curb appeal then I would paint the door, I like the color too.
0 Likes   October 20, 2012 at 4:53AM
Alison Guerriere
If I were you I would:

1) study up on Tudor homes.
2) try to get pictures of the original home and talk to a historian so your home still has a historical perspective
3) remove all awnings immediately and replace with high quality architectural window films. Architectural films keep the sun out, bills down, view in tact, preserve furniture from fading, etc.
4) maybe paint the front door terra cotta initially but eventually replace with a mahogany door (adds beauty, warmth, richness, character and authenticity). Mahogany doors are also coastal because they withstand salt air, etc.
5) remove the overhang over the front door. It looks tacked on, too angular, and it hides the door.
6.) do a stone walkway like Vikrant Sharma Homez showed in a picture above. We have one and it adds a cottagey inviting warmth.
7) add landscaping. It looks barren now. Remove the front tree and add a new one that's ornamental. The current one is overgrown so the eye only sees the trunk now.

On a positive note, I really like how you painted the brown trimwork green!
0 Likes   October 20, 2012 at 4:54AM
Kim Lunsford
After I seen the picture of your whole house you posted I would say paint the door for sure. You have a lovely house and the door would make it stand out even more if you painted it.
0 Likes   October 20, 2012 at 8:25AM
foci88
Thanks Alison for the paint trimwork compliment but the former trim & window panes were actually dark hunter green and the body of the house a lighter cream color. Only the gutters were previously brown to coordinate with the brown/tan roof tiles. Now the gutters were all painted the light green trimwork color & I agree it does look nice! We are the original owners of the home (1930) and do not plan to structurally alter the exterior so I'd say we're ok regarding the historical perspective. We are just brightening up the exterior paint to appeal more to the home's beach location in FL. It was too dark in appearance for too long! The landscaping was removed and will be addressed shortly. The home was originally builit with canvas striped awnings and over the years the colors were changed. I do realize some people don't prefer them and they can look outdated but personally I think they add a lot of charm, color and character to this style home especially given it's beach location. When done in the right colored fabric awnings can really compliment a certain style of house. However, they will no longer be on any of the windows starting at the turret at left of the front door all the way to the tall cathedral window at right. Only a few windows along the streetside on the other side of house.

Thanks also for the tip on the architectural window films for protecting interior but I am always concerned about the hot sun beating down on all the wooden window panes. It is very damaging especially in a coastal hot climate. Awnings served a very functional purpose in that regard!
2 Likes   October 20, 2012 at 11:20AM
foci88
Alison, when awnings are done right they can add class & charm to the right home. Here's a few examples I think work very well.
2 Likes   October 20, 2012 at 12:24PM
olldcan
foci88,
I looked through the photos on your other post as you suggested and enjoyed every minute of your home. Now I come to find your the original owner "We are the original owners of the home (1930)" not like I'm counting but what can I say, I'm impressed. I would love to see more pictures of your home through the years, just to see how it's changed. When your all done restoring the exterior, I'll be watching for the after pictures, what a privilege this has been.

Thanks so much for sharing,

Candace
0 Likes   October 20, 2012 at 12:33PM
PRO
Joanne Jakab Interior Design
Where do your guests enter? Your front door. Make it as special as you think they are to you. Pretend it is Christmas or your birthday and go all out for an everyday WOW at your front entry. I feel the least expensive colour will come from the elements that already exist - your stone and roof. Select a mid toned Grey based Taupe which will be similar to the natural stone. It will contrast with the cream stucco and compliment the soft green. Purchase some black urns and place them on the cap area below the windows flanking your stairs. Now keep them brimming with colourful flowers spring through fall and lit up greenery in the winter.
1 Like   October 20, 2012 at 12:55PM
foci88
candace, I say "we" but I really mean the 3rd generation of family! Thank you for your nice comments. I'm glad you enjoyed the pics. It's really a very unique home & property but hard to visualize the whole layout without actually seeing it in person! All the comments on here are really great!
0 Likes   October 20, 2012 at 1:02PM
Elyn's Library
What a delightful home - it looks well-loved and carefully cared-for. And it must be a joy to have all those years of family memories in such a pretty place.

For what it's worth, I'll add to the chorus - "Go for it - it's only paint and easily changed."
1 Like   October 20, 2012 at 1:26PM
PRO
Michal Yiftah Rotem, MYR Architecture
Terra cotta or peach. Definately don't leave it in white, the door has no identity in white.
0 Likes   October 20, 2012 at 2:26PM
PRO
Michal Yiftah Rotem, MYR Architecture
Terra cotta or peach. Definately don't leave it in white, the door has no identity in white.
0 Likes   October 20, 2012 at 2:26PM
sharshot
Such a sweet home! Post your "after photo" when finished.
0 Likes   October 20, 2012 at 2:34PM
relushor
i wouldnt paint it terra cota but a peachy pastel or some light orange. Just my 2 cents :)
0 Likes   October 20, 2012 at 2:48PM
lesliedgoodman
Great home but I would remove awning and then paint the door the terra coat color you love including the screen door.
0 Likes   October 20, 2012 at 3:40PM
kcjaros
Terra cotta! Also,what is the brand/paint color you used on the body of the house? Thx!
0 Likes   October 20, 2012 at 8:18PM
kcjaros
Terra cotta! Also,what is the brand/paint color you used on the body of the house? Thx!
0 Likes   October 20, 2012 at 8:18PM
foci88
We ended up going with Benjamin Moore "Baked Clay" (a terra cotta color with a bit more orange & less red) and are very pleased with the look!
9 Likes   October 21, 2012 at 11:02AM
Sheila Steelman
Looks great!!
1 Like   October 21, 2012 at 11:07AM
Marie Hamby
Baked Clay Looks Great ...Also you could add more Decorative Iron Handrails on both sides of Steps.
If you do show me the finished look
0 Likes   October 21, 2012 at 11:32AM
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
Great. Very inviting now.
0 Likes   October 21, 2012 at 11:35AM
Danelle OH
That really looks fantastic. Great choice and great job keeping a home in the family!! With so many people playing flip this house it is nice to see a family using a home for the intended purpose.
1 Like   October 21, 2012 at 12:07PM
syd34
Terra Cota is a great choice!! Don't forget to ad planter urns with some color like oranges.
0 Likes   October 21, 2012 at 12:53PM
PRO
Stanton Designs-online design services
It really makes a statement and gives a inviting entrance.
0 Likes   October 21, 2012 at 1:01PM
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
Paint it!
0 Likes   October 21, 2012 at 1:16PM
Elyn's Library
Lovely, inviting. Says "This is where our home begins!"
0 Likes   October 21, 2012 at 5:47PM
Diane
Go for the Terra Cotta
0 Likes   October 21, 2012 at 7:00PM
apennameandthata
Now you have introduced another colour, I recon you should change the patio and steps to be part of the new scheme. Will look really good.
0 Likes   October 21, 2012 at 8:19PM
apennameandthata
Now you have introduced another colour, I recon you should change the patio and steps to be part of the new scheme. Will look really good.
apennameandthata
PRO
A408Studio Architecture+Interiors+Construction
color - and go contrast.
0 Likes   October 21, 2012 at 8:32PM
PRO
Retired
I would paint the door terra cotta. I might even paint the square cement surfaces on top of the rock wor in the terra cotta also. That would make the steps , the door and that little bit of cement a very interesting feature on the front of the house.
0 Likes   October 24, 2012 at 10:58AM
foci88
Alas, the house is finished! I appreciated all the comments along the way. Thanks!
0 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 4:33PM
judianna20
Nice finish! Love the trim color. :>)
0 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 4:38PM
anitajoyce
Love the house and Door Color!
0 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 5:12PM
syd34
The house came out beautiful!! Great choice for color on everyting!!
0 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 6:11PM
Kivi
It's a great looking house! If you are still planning on selling it, I hope it goes well for you.
0 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 6:23PM
agarcia3201
I love your final selection- Great job! :)
0 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 7:04PM
anewpennameandthata
Nice house. I had no idea how nice from the first shot. Probs those steps are letting it down, then.
0 Likes   November 18, 2012 at 7:40PM
gingerclaire
Good work - you were right about the door!
0 Likes   November 19, 2012 at 8:47AM
houssaon
Love the body color, the door and the trim. Glad you switched to stripe awnings and got rid of the ones not needed. The house looks fantastic. It is so nice to see what someone, who looked for advice, finally did. Thanks for sharing.
1 Like   November 19, 2012 at 9:41AM
foci88
Here's a closer view of the finished result. Thanks again for the front door input!
3 Likes   November 19, 2012 at 11:26AM
Sheila Steelman
Looks very inviting.....love it.
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 5:50PM
whitleytaylor
I think it would look really good painted. I do think it looks bad now, but I think it would be great painted.
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 6:37PM
mjmil
love what you have done It is a beautiful home and the choices you have made add to it's appeal.
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 10:32PM
chappage
Coming into the conversation late, but wanted to say that I love the personality of your home! Are all the homes in your neighborhood of the same age and style? What part of Florida? I grew up in West Palm Beach area. Also, I think you made a good choice on the paint. It looks great.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 9:22AM
foci88
Chappage, thank you for the compliment. The home is in a historical district called Pass-A-Grille Beach. It sits on one of five barrier islands on the west coast of FL (30 min. from Tampa) on the Gulf of Mexico. All the homes are different in the neighborhood. We have older beach cottages mixed in with beautiful estate homes. It's a great beach community. It's also a very desirable location because the town is only 1 1/2 blocks wide and 22 blocks long. Great sunsets too!
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 11:04AM
scdubose
What is the green trim color?
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 5:20PM
afterhoursreno
Paint it! Paint it!
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 8:15PM
afterhoursreno
Numbers at the bottom of the door are super (mail carrier friendly) They may even get a boot patina over time as they are kickplate height!
1 Like   January 5, 2013 at 8:20PM
afterhoursreno
Numbers at the bottom of the door are super (mail carrier friendly) They may even get a boot patina over time as they are kickplate height!
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 8:21PM
otmminaj
I would go for it soo it will pop out of that dark nook
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 8:23PM
foci88
scdubose, the green trim color is Benjamin Moore 'Sherwood Green'.
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 10:37PM