powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Suggestions for modern, clean, glam overhead light fixture/chandelier for bedroom
bklyndanielle
October 20, 2012 in Design Dilemma
My bedroom is attractive, pretty but very casual and sort of "beachy" (light blue walls, white ceiling and moldings; most wall photos/artwork are water or beach scenes, which I find relaxing, but it's not all that sexy). ;-)

I would like to "glam it up" a bit and was thinking about swapping out the vintage but boring overhead light for something clean, modern and a bit glam - like a cheaper version of this: http://pelledesigns.bigcartel.com/product/original-bubble-chandelier (I think I read on some diy site that someone made their own version very cheaply but I think that would be beyond my skills at this point. I suppose I could post to Task Rabbit and see if someone could make this.)

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Generally speaking, I have a midcentury aesthetic throughout my place. However, I don't find many midcentury light fixtures to be very glam. Some sparkle would be nice - I do like some of the more simple crystal chandeliers (including some of the smaller murano glass ones I've seen).

Thank you for any help and suggestions!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nick4378
How about FLOS: "2097" you can go with the 30 bulb version if the room is lower. I know it's expensive but if you look up FLOS dealers, they will often do at least 20% off list. This fixture has a mid century modern look, but won't lock the aesthetic of the room into a singular genera Incase you decide to alter your taste down the road.
1 Like   October 26, 2012 at 5:01AM
charleee
This one is pretty at $144: [houzz=
]
0 Likes   October 26, 2012 at 5:14AM
Nancy Hehmann
Lamps Plus website has soo many on their website and use Houzz search engine as well. I have saved one in my idea book that is not too over the top but attractive.http://www.houzz.com/photos/bedroom/crystal-chandelier-/p/40

I also posted a link to a bedroom that is a little glam with a crystal chandelier above.

I think your bed linen can greatly add to a glam look as well. Something with a satin sheen perhaps. Croscill usually has glam type and they have a website, sell at major dept stores and have outlet stores in outlet malls.

There are now some great electric fireplaces that hang on walls. That would perhaps increase the romance and glam factor if your room is big enough.

Have fun! I think you can be glam and coastal. I love looking at coastal pics! Wake up to a favorite place! And high def photography makes it even more realistic. I have a lot of coastal photography at my Etsy shop, nancyhehmann. Several pics are also of Charleston, SC which is now deemed the number one travel destination in the world by Conde Nast. I will have more in the future.
0 Likes   October 26, 2012 at 5:26AM
PRO
Futuro Futuro Kitchen Range Hoods
We would recommend taking a look at the "Lighting" section of Homeportfolio - http://www.homeportfolio.com/top/lighting.html

There's a ton of products, you can filter out your selection by price / style / etc. Very useful.
0 Likes   October 26, 2012 at 7:04AM
bklyndanielle
Thank you @nick, @Carolina and @Futuro!

@Nick, I like the first one you posted but I think it lacks "warmth" for the bedroom. There is probably a chandelier out there that looks like this but is a little warmer. I will keep looking.

@Carolina, your photorgraphy is beautiful! You sent a page of chandeliers - which one was the one you liked? Also, which is the glam bedroom - the one with the flower duvet cover?

@Futuro, I'm going to take a look at this website.

Thank you, all, for taking the time!
0 Likes   October 29, 2012 at 9:19AM
michigammemom
The Cluster glass pendant from West Elm is quite close to the bubble fixture you posted. I also like the Capiz chandelier for the beachy look you desire. Both fixtures are under $200.
1 Like   October 29, 2012 at 9:27AM
PRO
Futuro Futuro Kitchen Range Hoods
@bklyndanielle - you're welcome, and stay safe through the storm! (guessing you're in Brooklyn too, judging by the username)
0 Likes   October 29, 2012 at 10:36AM
PRO
Cole Barnett Interiors
I love this pendant that I recently used in a client's kitchen. It's very affordable too! (Firefly pendant from CB2)
1 Like   October 29, 2012 at 11:12AM
bklyndanielle
Thanks @michegammemom, @Futuro, @ColeBarnett, and @nick. Apologies for the delay in my response. As you may have heard, Hurricane Sandy kicked our a**es here in Brooklyn and I've been busy volunteering and attending fundraisers for those affected. @Futuro, I hope you are doing okay. I'm in Carroll Gardens and we are fine here. Red Hook, Coney, Rockaway, not so much.

@michegammemom -I like the capiz chandelier idea and I never would have thought of that on my own. It has a beachiness quality and is a bit romantic (though I'm night sure if it has the "glam" characteristic). I think the West Elm one might be too small, though, based on the size of my room. 14x15.

@Cole and @Nick - I think both of the items you guys recommend are cool but more appropriate probably for a room that's not a bedroom.

Thanks, again, everyone. People on here are so helpful!
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 7:21PM
bklyndanielle
These are TOO EXPENSIVE but I kind of like the top 2 chandeliers in the middle column if anyone knows where I could get less expensive, similar versions: http://www.collierwest.com/lighting/chandeliers.html I also like the Venetian one further down but it is too small: http://www.collierwest.com/festival-venetian-chandelier.html
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 7:28PM
trmcguire
Check out overstock.com for lighting.
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 7:33PM
bklyndanielle
@trmcguire - good thought. This one is not bad but it's a bit "last year" (I like it anyway): http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Antique-Bronze-6-light-Crystal-and-Iron-Chandelier/4103777/product.html
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 9:03PM
alwaysdesigning
Capiz shell fixtures have lots of nice designs; these appear modern but interesting too; good luck

[houzz=Corbett Lighting]
[houzz=Palo Alto Kitchen & Bath Addition]
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 9:21PM
bklyndanielle
Oooooh, @alwaysdesigning - the second one is so pretty!
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 9:31PM
PRO
Menage Interiors
Here are a couple sparkly ones!
1 Like   June 6, 2014 at 11:47AM
More Discussions
Help balancing living room please.
So we moved into our rental on Sept 1 and I kinda just...
Which room to hardwood?
Hi, I purchased some really nice Dansk wire brushed...
Can't make up my mind...
I have stainless steel appliances, antique white cabinets....
Choosing new flooring to match Cherry Parquet
We will be increasing the size of our current Apartment...
Curb appeal help!
We bought this house last fall. We love the corner...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.