Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What colour should I paint my kitchen?
ravneesh
October 24, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Not quite sure what colour I should paint my kitchen as it has these green counter tops with wooden cabinets.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
charleee
What a beautiful kitchen! I love your windows! I would go with an off-white or even a light beige. You have dark trimmed windows, dark cabinets and a fairly dark floor, you need something to lighten it up. And both the colors should go well with the green countertops.
3 Likes   October 24, 2012 at 3:06AM
creeser
Stunning kitchen! I love rich colors with that type of woodwork. An olive, if it doesn't clash with the green you have, or a golden yellow, like Sherwin-Williams Butternut or Chamois.
1 Like   October 24, 2012 at 4:19AM
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
I would deepen the wall tone to something like the SW Nomadic Desert or BM Manchester Tan.
3 Likes   October 24, 2012 at 4:25AM
S. Thomas Kutch
I agree with Deborah, something slightly darker similar to the color of the basket drawer you have. Going with something lighter will just give you much more contrasting, which will actually draw more attention to the darker elements of the kitchen......something darker will draw it all together in a balanced palette.....
3 Likes   October 24, 2012 at 5:19AM
Aggie Purvinska
I would go so far as hunter green for the walls and copper on the ceiling...
3 Likes   October 24, 2012 at 5:36AM
restoredtreasurestoo
Are your floors terra cotta?
1 Like   October 24, 2012 at 5:42AM
Natalie
Very nice! SW 6144 Dapper Tan for walls, SW 6197 Aloof Gray for ceiling. Good Luck!
1 Like   October 24, 2012 at 5:53AM
apennameandthata
Oh, dude, if you tweak this space right, you will have the most amazing space ever! You are within inches of having a legendary looking kitchen! You have got such character with the furniture, windows and cabinets that you already have. It looks like an old convent or something that was built before the current style of kitchen was invented. Houzz had a feature a little while ago about Spanish kitchens. I suggest you look at it and use some of the ideas.

My initial impression was that you needed something to lighten up the walls and make them pop. But, even white would not be light enough to do that. I suggest that you brighten up the top half of the room with some long, rustic righting features. A big long crusty piece of rusty iron with incandescent bulbs hanging down would do if you were on a budget. Then, direct your gaze to the ceiling and put some more character up there; you will have visual weight on top as well as half way down and the bottom of the room. If you are on a budget, paint the ceiling ?brown and the "beam" dark brown. If you have more money, put some moulding around the spaces created by the beam and panel the sides of the beam. Another idea would be to, at least, change out the fluro for some visually heavy wall sconses.

The white splashback looks like a bit half hearted. White was a bit of a nothing colour, and you have no cabinets to form a logical top. Later, you could put tiles from bench to ceiling.

To answer your question: white. Match the tiles, then create interest with the ceiling, as above.

If you did the other stuff, then you would not have to bother at all, or you would have more info so you could chose based on what you had done.
1 Like   October 24, 2012 at 6:34AM
charleee
Aggie! Copper on the ceiling, that's delicious!....Bobbi
3 Likes   October 24, 2012 at 6:49AM
apennameandthata
I'd go lime green and copper.
1 Like   October 24, 2012 at 7:13AM
alwaysdesigning
The white backsplash seems rather dull for this kitchen. Look at the copper tiles out there and maybe replace those. Then I can see a very crisp sage green above the copper or even a warm brick color to work with the copper and wood. Very nice
1 Like   October 24, 2012 at 7:19AM
ravneesh
Gosh thank you everyone :) seems like copper, tan and Spanish is the way to go, can't wait to get started!
2 Likes   October 24, 2012 at 11:36AM
alwaysdesigning
ravneesh: I hope you will post "after" pics because your kitchen is just awesome anyway. Slate is also a great backsplash idea for some colors to work with when you paint, if you need to. And, if you put "craftsman kitchen" in the Houzz browser and choose Pictures, scroll through and find some great ideas there too. Here are just a few I found for myself also, because we are doing a Craftsman style in our new house. Good luck
[houzz=Culinary Craftsman]
[houzz=Kitchen, beadboard and cherry cabinets,breakfast bar]
[houzz=Craftsman Kitchen 1]
[houzz=Medium Tone Transitional Style Kitchen]
[houzz=Craftsman Inspired Kitchen 1]
[houzz=Craftsman Inspired Kitchen 2]
[houzz=ce]
[houzz=Funky Orange Kitchen]
[houzz=Lake Keowee: Cassidy Residence]
[houzz=Craftsman Kitchen 2]
1 Like   October 24, 2012 at 4:30PM
apennameandthata
I second that. You HAVE to post pics as you go along, PLEASE!
3 Likes   October 24, 2012 at 4:31PM
nevadan
Beautiful windows. Keping them clean and shiny will not be easy! Please stay with a natural color scheme - greens or yellows. There seems to be something amiss with your backsplash - or is it just the photography? I am seeing a backsplash that emphatically does not go with the countertops. Suggest some revsion here, not too hard to do.
2 Likes   October 24, 2012 at 4:44PM
Caitlin Schmidtke
The splash back - get rid of the square white tiles and go for a glass splashback [ I love mine and its much easier to keep clean ] goes with any theme that you are trying to create and is much cheaper than some alternatives. It can be painted in any colour to suit your kitchen......I would also take the splashback from the counter top to the base of the cupboard on the wall [ above fridge ]

I would also stick with the greens and yellow as ' nevadan ' suggested !!

Here is a link that will show you a gallery of photos
https://www.google.com/search?q=glass+splashbacks&biw=1680&bih=957&sei=P36IUOidGqTzmAWG5oDYBw&tbm=isch
1 Like   October 24, 2012 at 5:14PM
ravneesh
Sage green or hunter green people??? Lets vote! Please post a photo reference if possible. Also copper ceiling... Should I or should I not?? On a budget so the white backsplash has to stay uggh! :( maybe paint it?? Suggestions. Thank you
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 12:38AM
creeser
I vote sage green! And love the idea of a copper ceiling! Paint or actually putting copper metal on the ceiling?
[houzz=Terry Iverson]
[houzz=Copper ceiling panels and kitchen hood]
1 Like   January 16, 2013 at 3:45AM
kitasei
The windows and lines of this kitchen are so striking that I have to ask: do you absolutely need the upper cabinet on this side of the refrigerator that's preventing a view of the full sweep? Even converting it to open shelves would help. What a kitchen!
1 Like   January 16, 2013 at 3:46AM
ravneesh
Creeser - painting it a bronze copper ...
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 3:50AM
ravneesh
Kitasei - I so agree with you! Thanks for the open shelves idea! :)
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 3:51AM
angiesays
I would go with a soft sage green to go with the color of your countertops. If your ceilings are in good shape and are the same as all of your other ceilings, I would keep them as they are for now. You could also go with a deep sage and change out the hunter green on your cabinets. Sage green and terra cotta look so good together. I also like to use a soft antique white or a light shade of the wall color on my ceilings.
1 Like   January 16, 2013 at 3:53AM
MAlps
Love the kitchen! Your windows are fantastic! You definitely compromised on cabinet sapce, but for sunlight, it's a fair deal!
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 4:06AM
pauli12
I love the color it is now. It provides a perfect backdrop for the dramatic windows and cabinet style and color combination.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 4:47AM