Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Does this couch work?!
amose13
October 26, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I've recently purchased the darker brown couch to create the dual sofa look. Now I'm wondering if the couch does not work with our existing furniture. Does the brown sofa work? This is a new house so we still need to accessorize the room. All suggestions are welcomed!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
hiyucca
It seems that the dark brown couch sets higher then the other furniture. When people are seated most will set lower. Maybe more dramatic pillow colors could make the furniture match better with a color swap of both colors
October 26, 2012 at 8:30am   
charleee
I wouldn't call it a match, but I would call it compatible. The fabric looks similar, as do the legs. The biggest difference I can see is the back, the brown sofa is a bit taller and a little more square.
October 26, 2012 at 8:30am   
decoenthusiaste
Well, yes and no... It def takes center stage and looks great with the round hassock, so I'm thinking you should put it on the wall with a fantastic piece of rich art above it to become your focal point. Angle the chair and small table in the space between the windows. WIth the brown sofa catching the eye, maybe
your other two pieces will be a nice neutral complement to it. I'd plan for drapery panels and an area rug to richen it up and pick up on the brown sofa and gold hassock colors.
October 26, 2012 at 8:34am     
Nancy Hehmann
I think once you accessorize it will be an amazing room. Are you leaving the white blinds?

I would choose some art for the wall that complements your furniture. It can be high def photography or paintings. Look on Etsy.com b/c there are artisans and craftsman from the US and all over the world. Type in search eng. what you want -Photography Paris, or Swans etc. I have a photography shop, nancyhehmann. You might look at what I have and I have more in files if I know what your are looking for. At the moment there are 2 photographs of black swans with a beautiful golden reflection created by the sun in the lake. You might like them and I can customize size or media (Kodak ENDURA, Canvas, Aluminum)

Once you have chosen art , pull a color out of it to accessorize with = such as white and use this for a throw, decorative pillows, white tray for your hassock . If you are keeping the white blinds consider side drapes and perhaps use a print with white and gold to tie everything together and give visual interest. You might even want an area rug.

Have fun and do a little at a time till you get the look you want. You are off to a great start!
October 26, 2012 at 8:36am   
mmilos
Looks good! I like the contrast. Just repeat the dark wood tapered leg on the new couch with a dark wood tapered leg end table next to your sofa and chair.
October 26, 2012 at 8:40am   
PRO
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
I liked it immediately before I noticed the slight height variation - its fun without the arms and add a texture mix of pillows and the ottoman - it is a show steal-er!
October 26, 2012 at 8:46am     
amose13
Thanks All! I really appreciate the feedback and suggestions! Nancy-I will take a look at your photography as well! Thanks for the suggestions!
October 26, 2012 at 9:22am     
Aggie Purvinska
Love it! Move it to the side though, switch it with the chair, the high back makes sense and you will have the balance of colors, too. And, of course, lamps and art, and curtains! Bring in some pattern and maybe another color? Also if you move the brown sofa to where the chair is, I would love to see the Ottoman Reupholstered in a brown velvet or a pattern of both brown and camel.

[houzz=Contemporary Ambience Collection Dark Brown Infinity Table Lamp]

[houzz=Samara Round Mirror - 46 diam. in.]

[houzz=Jiti Olympic Orange Pillow]

[houzz=Decorative Wood Grain Pillow, Brown]
October 26, 2012 at 9:42am     
Amy Burke
It will be a bit of a challenge but it can work. The first thing that you may want to do is to flip flop the light and dark pillows. Place lighter pillows onto darker sofa and darker to the lighter etc. An area rug with also help set the "stage" so to speak. The scale of the settee is a bit off near the oversize chair but by creating much distraction elsewhere can help trick they eye and not even notice. No biggie, I would have done it myself since I like what I like and don't play by the "rules". Have fun!
October 26, 2012 at 9:44am   
michigammemom
I like the way your brown sofa looks....but is it comfortable? The seat doesn't look very deep and the high, straight back looks slightly unwelcoming. If your space is a formal sitting room comfort may not be much of an issue, but if this is your lounging, TV watching, hanging out area you might want something that is more laid back.
October 26, 2012 at 9:47am     
houssaon
I agree that the new couch should be against the far wall. Also, I would take the larger pillows off it and just kepp the small ones.
October 26, 2012 at 9:56am   
amose13
Thanks for the suggestions, I am going to try the new couch along the far wall. Some of you have mentioned a rug-How do you feel about an area rug on top of rug? Also, are there rules on the size? Any recommendations for a particular rug with this furniture?
November 5, 2012 at 11:10am   
lessismoore
Your furniture looks of an "era" (not sure which one? 30s, 40s ?) so I would suggest staying close to that design period in choosing a rug pattern (and as you have more than one period piece; to go eclectic and add a modern rug ...not sure how that would be ) and I think an area rug centered on your carpet would look great. So, what about a round rug?
I'd be tempted to get a coffee table that matched the end table (more than the ottoman) with metal and glass if you can find one. How cool would an oval one be! And I could see dark velvet panels bracketing your windows.
November 5, 2012 at 11:36am   
lessismoore
neat coffee table
November 5, 2012 at 11:45am     
Natalie
Yes-looks Great! I think a different coffee table is in order (no need for the ottoman-too much upholstered pieces)---a rug with cool and warm hues and something metallic and introduce a subtle hint of the colour periwinkle. Hope this is helpful! [houzz=Worlds Away Reverse Antique Mirror Gold Leaf Chest][houzz=Leaves Wool and Silk Rug][houzz=Water Space II Print][houzz=Water Space I Print]
November 5, 2012 at 11:56am     
amose13
THANK You! Love the suggestions! Do you think the coffee table needs to be gold to match the end table? Also lessismore, do you know where that coffee table is from? Natalie-Love the rug and chest! Thank you!
November 5, 2012 at 1:45pm     
lessismoore
http://www.crateandbarrel.com/clairemont-coffee-table/s216227
I just typed in "oval glass and metal coffee table" and there it was, but there are many more out there at other (better?) price points :-)
November 5, 2012 at 1:55pm   
amose13
Thank you!!
November 5, 2012 at 2:04pm     
amose13
Thanks for all the suggestions. I re-arranged the furniture and bought the area rug shown. The rug can be returned. Any thoughts? Does it work, or do you think a different style rug would help? Also thinking about hanging the mirror above the darker sofa. Any thoughts/suggestions? The bench shown is across from the living room shown.
December 12, 2012 at 8:43am   
michigammemom
Oops, amose13 your rug phtoto did not attach. Please try again.
December 12, 2012 at 8:45am   
lessismoore
Assuming the lovely gray and gold rug? Pleeeeze, post new photo of whole room now!
December 12, 2012 at 8:49am     
Nancy Hehmann
I agree it would be nice to see if you changed anything!
December 12, 2012 at 9:00am   
amose13
Oops..Somehow my photos did not attach. Let's try again! I re-arranged the furniture and bought the area rug shown. The gray/gold rug was too expensive for our budget. The rug can be returned. Any thoughts? Does it work, or do you think a different style rug would help? Also thinking about hanging the mirror above the darker sofa. Any thoughts/suggestions? The bench shown is across from the living room shown.
December 12, 2012 at 9:03am   
Aggie Purvinska
The rug is definitely giving a more Orienal Vibe, starting to feel a little like a very fancy Nomad Tent. Maybe put the Rug in the foyer and get a glass top coffee table for the Living Room, as lessismore suggested, I think that one is Crate and Barrel, but I am sure you could find something more reasonable. and I am thinking a larger square. Starting to agree with others that the ottoman is a little much, maybe it can move upstairs to the master bedroom?
December 12, 2012 at 9:13am   
PRO
Oxalis Enterprises
how you think for this carpet
December 12, 2012 at 9:29am   
lessismoore
I don't know why ... but the ottoman is just not working for me in here. Nothing wrong with it, just not here or so prominent. Maybe tuck it in a corner, more like side table, with a tray on it? And yes, I think the mirror over dark couch would be better than on floor. I'm "okay" with the rug ... looks like it has some nice pale blues in there too? That would be a nice coordinating color to use in the rest of the room, a very soft pale blue: e.g.: Lamps, paintings, pillows, throws, objects du jour? I also think it would lovely in foyer. Obviously, this is still a work in progress :-) but like the new furniture arrangement ... it can all come together, and we eager to participate!
December 12, 2012 at 9:38am     
collettec
I don't think the rug works. For one thing, it's too small. It should be large enough so that the legs of the furniture can sit on it. As well, think a rectangular shape would work better. I would work to find one with a pattern in the base color of the brown of the darker sofa to contrast against the lighter carpet. It might help lessen the ornate Turkish ottoman feel of the ottoman as wouldn't accentuate it as much. Are you hanging the mirror? A nice looking piece - can you hang it above the beige couch? You have some rich fabrics and colors in the pieces that you have. Think you need to go with rich, jewel tone accent colors to go with them, perhaps a rich jewel tone teal or orangish, not pastel - like the choices for fabrics that AggieDesigns showed above.
December 12, 2012 at 9:51am     
sondramartina
Is your foyer rounded? Can you try to move rug in the foyer ,maybe the shape and colors will look good there together with those purple pillows?
I dont like ottoman in the living room.
December 12, 2012 at 10:12am   
PRO
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
I would consider switching them and putting the brown piece on the solid wall and the smaller piece between the windows like this below. I put in the pillows and lamp Aggie Designs recommended. Not this art and fabric etc., it's just to give you an idea of size and location and to mix your patterns.

Good luck.
December 12, 2012 at 11:01am     
PRO
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
Also, I just saw the rug images and I don't think I would put a rug in there, use great fabrics on the windows and your accent cushions and art. You could also consider a large square or round antique mirrored or bevelled glass and metal table to lighten up all that upholstery.
December 12, 2012 at 11:06am     
collettec
I agree with others about the coffee table and like Carolyn C's rendering with Aggie Design's fabrics. Perhaps a darker brown coffee table as shown in Carolyn C's choices 2 or 3 might tie in better with darker colors in the furnishings particularly if go without the rug.
December 12, 2012 at 11:31am   
judianna20
I like the brown. I like this picture of how it could look in your home, against the wall shere you have it now, viewing it from the hall with the columns framing the view. Lessismore's suggestion for the coffee table is a great one. Think it is Crate and Barrel which I saw in the store. The bottom shelf is a mirror…very stunning. Wouldn't mind seeing the rug in the hall, as a segue for the brown. But after that I am having trouble with the other pieces. Every piece has different legs…too many legs? Could the sofa and chair go to a family room?
Budget Living Room
Farallon Chair
December 12, 2012 at 12:18pm   
tralil
I think the chair and a half should be on an angle, like over to the next straight line on the rug. Place the side table between the two windows. Not a fan of the floor lamp, but don't have a suggestion for it at this moment either.
December 12, 2012 at 12:25pm   
lessismoore
Hi again - I went a little crazy with this (had a root canal earlier and am feeling no pain. The image doesn't have the furnishings in the new positions ... but here are some "visualizations" using some of the suggested items ... plus a few more to get a better idea of how it "could" look. I have most of this stuff on layers now, so can swap them out if you want to see something else (different rug, pillows, etc.)
December 12, 2012 at 6:20pm     
amose13
Wow! Thank you so much for all the suggestions. Lessismore-Thank you! I really love the rendering you put together. I really appreciate the time you took! I will be on the hunt for rug similar to the one you show. I love it!
December 12, 2012 at 7:12pm     
lessismoore
amose13 - Your very welcome, I had fun!
I'm glad you liked it :-) If you'd like to try something else, just post a suggestion and I will try to work it in. I do really like that brown floral rug Natalie just posted. If you are able to keep the octogon shaped one you have now, and move that to the foyer - they'd make a nice transition used together. But, here is link to the one I used:
http://www.rugshq.com/loloi-stanley-blue-brown-st-11-rug.html?chksel=LOLOI-STANST-11BBBR98C8
December 12, 2012 at 10:27pm     
Darzy
I love your new brown sofa and like your ottoman. Natalie has a gift for picking area rugs! Great suggestions. I agree to return to octagon rug...not for any space for you. : )
December 12, 2012 at 11:44pm     
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
OK - it's not really a sofa - it's a settee - and you need to bring that chocolate colour over to your other pieces of furniture - maybe do custom drapery with all three tones of cream, chocolate and beige. Then find your magic toss cushion to compliment the drapes and repeat your furniture tones.

Add wallpaper to the one full wall for tone on tone texture - the room needs some oomph
Good Luck
December 12, 2012 at 11:55pm   
lessismoore
Now, let's try on Natalie's rug with some other changes!
December 13, 2012 at 10:40am     
Natalie
I like that rug in there... Not crazy about the curtains and the burgundy pillow with it though-perhaps orange over there as well. Would you mind changing the window panels to what I've attached? If and when you have time Lessismoore??? Thanks for doing the pic. :)

If the other two rugs are considered, then I would omit the orange and just go with sage, khaki, and cream pillows-and the sage panels. Hope this is helpful.
http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/studio%25e2%2584%25a2-focus-grommet-top-drapery-panel/prod.jump?ppId=1e15e9e&catId=cat100260226&dimCombo=null&dimComboVal=null
December 13, 2012 at 11:04am   
Natalie
I even like the flowers in the photo of the drapes---perfect color.
December 13, 2012 at 11:08am     
PRO
karen paul interiors
I'm wondering if there would be an advantage to placing the settee on the diagonal coming out of the corner from the 2nd window down and the adjacent wall? This would free up the back wall to create a focal point in the room. Thoughts?
December 13, 2012 at 11:50am   
lessismoore
Here you go - with the flowers too :-)
December 13, 2012 at 11:51am     
Natalie
I like it, I like it but not a lot. Orange and sage and gold. I am not feeling the coffee table, nor the burgundy pillow. Perhaps the ottoman would be better. It is coming along... Lessismoore---you're Awesome! Thanks again... :)
December 13, 2012 at 12:07pm   
Natalie
Well I can't get it bigger, but this is more what I had in mind. I think there is enough "warm" hues in the room---did more cream pillows, orange accents. :)
December 13, 2012 at 12:46pm   
lessismoore
Haha - The ottoman "blew up" a bit?- When you download a posted image, you always get the "small version" - I "resample" them to 300 dpi, by 5 wide or so ... Here is is bigger (at least for viewing here) And yet ... I still don't love the ottoman. I also gave the floor lamp a cream shade.
December 13, 2012 at 2:52pm   
Natalie
I don't like the rug with the ottoman, it could be the lighting or whatever, it's not right either. I thought the pillows and coffee table were items she purchased so I was trying to come up with something to incorporate them. Truth is, I do not like those colors in this room. This definitely needs to be reworked.
December 13, 2012 at 6:25pm   
Jayme H.
I think the sofa belongs on the other wall as well/and a the chair with a side table or another matching chair in front of window. Love the contrast of the brown sofa and think it is a keeper. With the neutral colors you can do a ton of things with an area rug if wanted and throw pillows and drapes! Nice start!!
December 13, 2012 at 7:16pm   
Babak Rejaie
I do not think it matches. This couch is so beautiful. It is elegant. The other couch is casual. It needs to be paired with a wood framed chair or couch so that it stands out a bit more. It looks a little silly next to the casual seating. Also that center ottoman doesnt work. It is way to fancy/gawdy for both. I think a nice glass top, gold frame table would be perfect. Carpet is too floral too.
December 13, 2012 at 7:33pm     
melissapreston
No it doesn't match at all
December 21, 2012 at 3:19pm   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
No, and it won't work in very many other places either.
December 21, 2012 at 3:27pm   
PRO
Cancork Floor Inc.
To make it work, I think you need another piece in the same fabric. The chocolate sofa would do better against the wall and the cream sofa against the windows. I'm not fond of the ottoman. It works for the arm chair but will not accomodate the two sofas.
December 21, 2012 at 4:55pm   
jjandhk
boy....this is starting to get complicated! I like the original ideas with the brown sofa on the far wall, with the mirror above it. I do like the oval glass wood coffee table, and the patterned curtains from CarolynC.; and the plain carpet. I like the simplicity of that design. And then you can add fun with pillows, and artwork!
December 21, 2012 at 7:36pm     
roomi
I like the rug and the ottoman but now there are too many of those dark brown cushions on the pale couch. Get a lighter toning one for accent with two of the dark ones and put a couple of the dark brown ones away or aside in a pile or in a basket in case people want to use them on the floor.
December 21, 2012 at 8:52pm   
Jayme H.
Too busy with a patterned rug, different colored curtains, pillows and lampshades. Agree with Jeanjjk.
December 22, 2012 at 6:48am   
lepstein
Area rug is too small. Furniture should sit on the edge. Hanging mirror above would only work if placed horizontally or with two smaller pix or mirrors beside to balance space to be close to length of sofa.
December 23, 2012 at 11:07pm   
lepstein
I like the blue carpet better than the flowered one. Large couch should be on long wall as previously moved, and love seat between windows. I like ottomans, but agree that a coffee table might be better here.
December 23, 2012 at 11:22pm   
roomi
I just love that round brown toned rug but too small for under an ottoman.
December 23, 2012 at 11:29pm   
PRO
Anish Motwani Associates
hello

the brown sofa is fine

change the carpet below - got for some traditional design carpet with more colors
add some good beige/yellow or green color curtains to the windows

accessorize the walls with paintings/artefacts etc

regards
December 23, 2012 at 11:47pm   
PRO
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
hello, I have not readl the postings but I have a few suggestions. The sofas are all compatable because they are basicaly neutral. I would remove the club chair/love seat and add some chairs that have more wood on them and have a lighter feel. Use some modernist tables by the beige sofas and get a cool colorful rug. Unify the space with color on the fabrics of the pillows that coordinate but not match. Use a different fabric that harmonizes for the drapes. personalize the space with artwork and thing that are important to you. A nice chest on the wall where the club chair is presently will help anchor the room.
December 24, 2012 at 7:33am   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.