Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need accent wall color suggestion!
thetrophybearer
October 26, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I want to paint an accent wall in my kitchen on the south wall like my living room which now has an "Aztec red" accent wall as seen in the image. My kitchen walls are now painted with "flora yellow". The kitchen has white cabinets with stainless appliances and a black/dark gray counter tops. Any suggestions on good colors for an accent wall? Thanks!!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Dytecture
It will certainly be a great way to bring colors into the kitchen by using existing colors you already have. Can't tell from the photo, but the hallway looks to be some sort of sage green color ? or is it the same as in the kitchen?
October 26, 2012 at 3:04PM   
thetrophybearer
It is actually a really light tan. Kinda hard to get an exact color representation from a camera phone. But you can see white ceiling with the tan wall.
October 26, 2012 at 3:14PM   
Kimberly Hogan_Castillo
Pull the color out of your rug...In the back room yes that's it..Light to med brown
October 26, 2012 at 3:34PM   
Chandani
My first thought- and you probably will not like it, is to paint the kitchen the same colour as your hallway and use the same red as an accent wall. This will help unify the spaces. If you want a different accent wall colour in the kitchen, a greyed down teal would look great with the tan and Aztec red (which I'm assuming is a brick/rusty red).
October 26, 2012 at 3:35PM     
PRO
John Dwyer Architect
With white cabinets, and lots of natural light, it might be fun to do a magnetic chalkboard paint wall. It's fun to have that lively surface in a kitchen space.
October 26, 2012 at 4:10PM     
thetrophybearer
I like the white board idea. Would just using the Aztec red be too much of contrast with the rest of the kitchen colors?
October 26, 2012 at 4:25PM     
anitajoyce
How about a tan color. Or maybe a mustard color.
October 26, 2012 at 4:38PM     
kathylauri
Have you thought about changing the paint color behind the cabinets? A light taupe (grey brown) would create a nice contrast between the white cabinets and the wall color, and then go two shades darker for the accent wall. You're already using earth tones and since all of the rooms are open to each other they should have a similar feel.
October 26, 2012 at 7:57PM     
Jean Adams
Of course I love the yellows honeysuckle is nice Sherman Willams paint.
October 26, 2012 at 8:09PM   
thetrophybearer
I have a gray in the bathroom to bring out the gray streaks in the marble tile. Maybe the same color gray can bring out the stainless/counters.
October 26, 2012 at 9:04PM     
simplify52
I think the red would look very nice with your kitchen.
October 26, 2012 at 11:17PM   
Natalie
Hi---I'd add a glass tiled backsplash in a spice color-first photo... Second photo is color scheme throughout---spice, tan/beige, red, and warm green accents. Hope this is helpful! ouzz=Funky Orange Kitchen][houzz=Butternut Residence]
October 27, 2012 at 12:22AM     
intoit
The red would spice up your kitchen and be most appetizing.
October 27, 2012 at 3:39AM   
PRO
www.newjerseyaccents.com
Saw this tile on the lowes website. Seems to have all your colors.
October 27, 2012 at 4:21AM     
Paul & Shari
I agree with Natalie! Get some POP in that room with an awesome backsplash! We've done brick bond glass, random slate, something to pull your colours together!
October 27, 2012 at 6:00AM     
thetrophybearer
Great suggestions guys, I am going to look into the back splash tiles today!
October 27, 2012 at 7:27AM     
Shauna Olsen
I like the suggestion of the teal/grey.... but I would lean towards torquise grey ...I love "rattan" from Benjamin Moore as a neutral base.
October 27, 2012 at 3:19PM   
vsegura
taupe or carmel, will also complement the red room
October 28, 2012 at 12:36AM     
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Yes backsplash would be very important to choose before you choose your accent colour paint. When you do paint, don't just do that one wall, look at the structure, and paint that entire wall which will always have three sides - so that your colour will flow in and out of that room.

If the accent colour is too bold, then choose an accent that can be painted on that 3 (or 4) sided wall. See below for inspiration on accent colour - very important to get it right. Is well worth it to have a professional come out and help you get it right the first time. Helps to create continuity and flow from room to room. Good Luck!
October 28, 2012 at 1:28AM     
eileenforsyth
I have original wood trim like yours in my 100 year old house that I am reluctant to change, even though I prefer white. I, too, installed white cabinets to brighten my kitchen. My suggestion (this worked great for me) was to select a rich, medium-toned warm gray - it works with wood and white and looks rich and comforting. I agree that a back splash will be important, and suggest inexpensive white marble subway tiles for a classic look. I got mine at Home Depot and love them - just dig through the boxes to find the ones with some veining to keep things interesting. Good luck and keep us posted!
October 28, 2012 at 4:27AM     
janishill
To compliment your dark gray counter tops, white cabinets, stainless steel appliances (cool colors) and your original wood trim (warm color) as well as the Aztec red wall, the tan in the hallway and the pale yellow already on the kitchen walls use this shade (or a similar shade) of green: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/mountainlane

It is the perfect earth tone to marry the various colors and tones you already have.

Hope you post updates! :-)
October 28, 2012 at 5:44AM   
thetrophybearer
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I am considering them all and giving it some thought. I will start this over thanksgiving break and make sure to give updates!
October 28, 2012 at 6:19AM   
thetrophybearer
What about this tile from Home Depot? I like the brushed aluminum in there to match my appliances. I just wish it had a few black tiles.
October 28, 2012 at 6:24AM     
janishill
I am a little confused. Are we talking about an accent wall or backsplash?

I do like the tiles for backsplash....
October 28, 2012 at 6:58AM   
k8edid
Maybe an interesting wall paper would be the wat Togo. Incorporate colors from all areas.
October 28, 2012 at 7:26AM   
thetrophybearer
Originally started to talk about colors for an accent wall but a backsplash was also suggested to add color.
October 28, 2012 at 7:32AM     
PRO
Welcome Home designs
I like the tiles you picked for the backsplash. My only suggestion would be to make sure the counter top, the backsplash and your flooring have complementary colours. Don't match to just your appliances. Once you have your tiles picked then you can decide on a paint colour. I think you should paint the whole kitchen one colour so that the cabinets pop out and your room appears more unified
October 28, 2012 at 9:36AM   
Angela Sargenti
Pumpkin color would look gorgeous with that yellow.
October 28, 2012 at 10:55AM   
PRO
Cole Barnett Interiors
I just did this kitchen remodel and the client loves the colors! She also has red accents in her living room. The dark color we used on the dark accent wall is Benjamin Moore Stormy Sky. The white is Benjamin Moore Pure White and the other walls in the kitchen (left side) are Benjamin Moore Barren Plain. The back splash is white subway tile with white grout.
October 28, 2012 at 11:21AM     
karenpul
I love revere pewter by Ben Moore. It's a great grey color that you could try in your kitchen. The cream color is not a good color with the white and stainless. Do a grey with a tan or red accent.
October 28, 2012 at 3:25PM   
mcbriec
I agree with the idea of painting the kitchen a pewter color which would look beautiful with the tile backsplash you picked out.
October 28, 2012 at 4:07PM   
Elmer Turrill
I have oak cabinets and black brown grey counter tops with white floor tile what color would I paint my walls would like one accent wall.
October 28, 2012 at 4:10PM   
PRO
Cole Barnett Interiors
Elmer, do you have a photo of your space?
October 28, 2012 at 4:20PM   
donadona53
@Cole Barnett Interiors: I love the pendant globe light in the kitchen you did...can you share where it is from?
October 29, 2012 at 9:45AM   
PRO
Cole Barnett Interiors
It's from CB2. The firefly pendant. :)
October 29, 2012 at 10:55AM   
heiduchi
I did my kitchen, family room, and all bathrooms and my master in a pale green, I love it and is so relaxing to be in and it also make it bright, without painting white.
October 29, 2012 at 11:14AM   
donadona53
Thanks Cole!
October 29, 2012 at 11:17AM   
PRO
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
Like the earth tones suggested by Natalie
October 29, 2012 at 11:24AM     
PRO
carol j. guess & associates, inc
the lowes tile suggest is great-take the accent color from there and definately paint around the cabinets to really create accent look - long wall needs to stay with hall color and that does need to be a bit richer in color- more taupy beige- not a frustrated white where you can not tell what color it is. now take over and put some geenery at the edge of ledge by frig and other side for warmth and bringing a liitle nature green accent. I think a kitchen needs to say "pretty" and defined.
October 29, 2012 at 12:40PM   
czehner
Try Rust or Red - It would be beautiful!!!
October 29, 2012 at 12:41PM   
alwaysdesigning
Also agree that a lively backsplash is needed and that the red rust tone from the living wall could come into this space, or not. Your backsplash will determine your kitchen colors and pull the accent color from there, which can also complement your red rust wall and not necessarily the same shade or tone. It could be a sage or a blue. Choose a backsplash that has that red color in it but other colors as well that you can choose from. Good luck
October 29, 2012 at 8:17PM   
thomastkotz
I love the idea of accent walls but the effects can vary widely depending on a few things
Here are some rules that have worked for me:
If you darken the walls where the windows are (that bring a lot of light) you will likely feel the room more spacious. If you darken the opposite wall, the effect will be the opposite
If the room is long, i.e. one wall is less than 50% to 60% of the adjacent wall (e.g 10ftX20ft room) making the small wall darker may make the room feel longer. Making the large wall darker may make the room feel wider.
As a general rule, hallways are risky business to paint any wall darker (just be carefull, that's what I mean)
If you have the majority of the wall covered by cabinets or other pieces, dark accent colors would make the pieces stand out enormously.
Any wall works well as an accent wall for rooms with higher ceilings.
I've had amazing effets painting valted ceilings with accent collors, especially considering where natural light comes from.

Works for me, see what you think.

I would with a light taupe, as suggested before.

Good luck
October 30, 2012 at 12:17AM   
Elmer Turrill
The pendant came from the light house Trenton Mi .
November 3, 2012 at 7:14PM   
Elmer Turrill
The pendant came from the light house Trenton Mi .
November 3, 2012 at 7:14PM   
thetrophybearer
Decided to go with a 2"x4" white tile back splash. I painted the walls white and the accent wall a gray. I am very happy with the results. The white walls make the room feel brighter. Best of all, all said and done it only cost me about $150. Thanks everyone for their input!!
November 25, 2012 at 6:15PM   
thetrophybearer
During the build.
November 25, 2012 at 6:17PM   
thetrophybearer
During the build.
November 25, 2012 at 6:18PM   
beckyw30
What color is that gray paint you used. Is it a blue gray? Looks nice!
November 25, 2012 at 8:47PM   
thetrophybearer
It is called trail print by Behr.
November 26, 2012 at 3:33AM   
huynhhai
I like the tiles you picked for the backsplash. My only suggestion would be to make sure the counter top, the backsplash and your flooring have complementary colours. Don't match to just your appliances. Once you have your tiles picked then you can decide on a paint colour. I think you should paint the whole kitchen one colour so that the cabinets pop out and your room appears more unified http://vienne.co/tui-xach-thoi-trang
January 22, 2013 at 2:20AM