Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
what to do to dress up front of house& garage
Christa Somerville_Chase
October 27, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I think the house needs a new front door color, trim around the garage door , possibly a new garage door with windows?? I even thought about putting small pergola over the garage door. What about covering the cement steps?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TanCalGal
I think your house, & cement & garage is fine & I would not change a thing. I'd remove the trellis, plant ever green shrubs in the black planters by the front door, add beefier lights to side garage, remove stuff from the porch area. I'd keep the porch area bare unless you like to sit there (then 2 black rockers). I'm not that fond of the mail post up near the house, can that be removed (or if for mail relocated to another place farther from house). A brass door knocker might add some pizzaz to dress door up a little
2007 showcase Brentwood Regency Estate
October 27, 2012 at 8:37PM   
vsegura
I love your house color! What if you did the roof line above the house and garage in a muted burgandy, did all the trim aroudn the windows and porch in a dark taupe/brown and your front door in either a burgandy, black or maybe a spicy mustard brown?
October 27, 2012 at 9:41PM     
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
I think an arbor over the garage would add a nice accent. One such as this.

[houzz=
]

Having the cement steps stained would look nice. Also, I would use some type of dark tone for the front door to make it stand out.
October 28, 2012 at 6:02AM     
liorahb826
White trim is very current and gives the pop you need. I would paint the front door black and the cement the color of the roof. Maybe print this photo and play with diff color doors and see what you're drawn to.
October 28, 2012 at 6:06AM     
architectrunnerguy
Good ideas above. Also, I'd get some decent trim around the garage door. 10" head and 6" side trim together with a nice door like the one Deborah showed with the trellis.

Also, 12" trim under the gable eaves would make those read a lot nicer. Nothing looks weaker then siding dying directly into a gable soffit.

Finally, while a 4" column is more then adequate to structurally hold up the porch roof, when looking at it, the eye begs for collapse. Get some 10" columns in there with an additional column at the far left at the garage wall.
October 28, 2012 at 6:52AM     
Dar Eckert
Yes, a yellow front door would be lovely. Then the cement stained or covered with warm brown tone stone or brick.
October 28, 2012 at 7:06AM     
Christa Somerville_Chase
love the ideas! @ architectrunnerguy do you have any example pictures. I thought the same thing about the porch post but never thought about trim for the gables especially for the garage part.....I knew something was missing.
As for staining the cement; I've seen examples on newly pored cement....Can it be done as an after effect? I have a cobble stone walk can it be coordinated in color? Has anyone done this and had good, long lasting results?
October 28, 2012 at 3:42PM     
Christa Somerville_Chase
What about a blackish brown for the front door? The roof has brown shingles but the accents - flower pots, light fixtures, house # plate, mailbox post are in black or blackish
November 17, 2012 at 3:55AM   
Christa Somerville_Chase
Any more ideas out there???
December 4, 2012 at 12:06PM   
hoovermcteagle
I like the idea of the pergola over the garage door, and echo the pergola in the tree upper story windows on the right of the house by putting small pergolas over each window.

I'd also add a trio of tall narrow vertical shrub/trees such as 'Skyrocket' juniper (as an example) at minimum 10 or 15 feet away from the home, in the lawn on the right hand side of the photo. Never plant trees too close to a home!

I think the pergolas plus narrow vertical greenery would complement the height of the home and create depth, as the profile of your home is quite flat. Your home is very beautiful already, a light hand on additional touches is all you need.
December 4, 2012 at 12:34PM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
You can buy kits, I believe, for staining concrete at any home improvement store. You have to acid-wash the concrete and then add the color, which you can swirl and mix, so it could coordinate with your stone walk.

I would paint the front door an accent color. Black is always nice, but I would go with color, personally. What are your interior colors? It's nice when your door is an introduction to the rest of your house. I'm always partial to warm colors, especially with the taupe body color of the house.

I think the pergola is a nice idea - it would bring some much needed detail to the garage. And I totally agree with architectrunnerguy about the trim and columns. Doing that alone will give the house a whole new presence.

The landscaping could use some help. Those arborvitaes (or are they junipers?) in front of the porch railing should be moved - maybe they could go to the corner of the house or in the backyard, They will quickly outgrow that location. At any rate, they look pretty random where they are. I would remove the railing, especially if you add larger columns. It's really not necessary, and like some of the other details, kind of underscaled for the house. Plant a low hedge instead - boxwood would be nice, if that grows well where you are; otherwise, there is always the trusty yew. Although they are SO picky, barberry would add nice red color. A combination of the two, with the green hedge a little higher would be very pretty. Fill in with ground cover and/or annuals. I would get larger planters and set them on the walk rather than the porch. What is that shrub to the right of the walk? It either needs to be cut back or relocated - it seems too large. I would enlarge the bed to the right, swooping it out as least as far as the sidewalk. You could repeat the hedge idea against the house and then maybe bring in daylillies for contrast. Towards the front, centered on that part of the house (i.e. between the windows) I would plant a flowering tree. You need some interest and some height further out into the yard. I would possibly add a small planting bed all along the outside of the walk, with perhaps a small decorative fence. Good luck!
December 4, 2012 at 2:27PM     
judianna20
Your house, although new, has a strong Greek Revival feel. First up, address that in the columns and the railing. The trim around your windows is nice. The color of the house is lovely, but just too 21st century. If the vents at the peaks are for cosmetic, only, I would change those out. Put that horizontal trim over the second floor windows.
High Street front
Miller's Meadow Farm
December 4, 2012 at 2:41PM     
pcmom1
Love to see some shots of the home from the street. One thing home might need is something of interest in the front yard. Perhaps a large mounded area with a great signature tree?
December 4, 2012 at 2:44PM     
Christa Somerville_Chase
Love the ideas ! Funny but I never thought of my house as a Greek revival but yes it is.
December 4, 2012 at 4:45PM     
Christa Somerville_Chase
I've thought of black, dark brown or a win colour front door.... Thought or ideas anyone? Pictures always help for any suggestions ... Helps me better visualize your ideas:)
December 4, 2012 at 4:47PM   
Christa Somerville_Chase
That should be wine not win:0
December 4, 2012 at 4:48PM   
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
A couple of landscaping inspirations.
December 4, 2012 at 4:49PM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
Go with the black or wine/burgundy. I don't think the brown would have enough "oomph".
December 4, 2012 at 4:53PM     
Christa Somerville_Chase
beautiful
December 4, 2012 at 6:06PM   
tennisanyone
The pergola over the garage would be too busy and not necessary. Take down the trellis. Paint the front door and add rocking chairs to the front pouch with colorful pillows and flowers. The tall trees in front of the porch I would remove too. Just beautiful flowers all over.
December 5, 2012 at 6:46AM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
December 5, 2012 at 6:47AM     
PRO
Wood Railing
How about Mountain Laurel Handrail http://awoodrailing.com for your front porch railing? Break up all those straight lines with the organic shapes of woven branches.
December 5, 2012 at 11:46AM     
Christa Somerville_Chase
if I put a pergola over the garage where would it be placed? In line with the porch line or slightly above the garage door?
January 8, 2013 at 10:47PM     
angiesays
I like the trim and toppers over your windows and doors. It would be nice to see the trim around your garage door beefed up to match that already on the front of your house. I am also in agreement with beefing up your columns and putting the pergola in line with the porch. Perhaps even to the right of the porch following the roof line out to the front corner instead of over the garage door. Also lining your sidewalk and front gardens with hosta, large river stone, or brick edging. I also agree with your suggestion of glass windows matching the style of your house on the garage door.
January 9, 2013 at 1:45AM     
architectrunnerguy
Just look at the photo of one in your thread, Looks great to me. After five weeks probably time for some action!
January 9, 2013 at 2:37AM     
PRO
Blanford Design
When you first look at your home you see a lot of long linear lines. The roof line of your porch, the railing, the bed lines, the front walk, the lawn edge against the bed lines and walk. There is no softening to these edges. The front porch is a typical builders porch. The side area is to small with the railing to feel comfortable, not a place you want to sit. The entrance to the home is also small and not welcoming when coming into the home.I would remove the railing and if code allows extend the front porch at least 3'-4'. It doesn't all have to be covered but an open pergola above the extension would be nice. I would make the area at the front door much bigger and perhaps circular to break up the linear feel. The concrete can be covered with a flagstone or bluestone as well. This would also add visual interest to the entry. The sidewalk does not have to be a straight line from point A to point B. Create a carriage walk along the drive at a minimum of 10' x 3' and curve that into the front walk. Have some fun with the layout of the walk. Create a landing space at the front door, could be curved (6'-8' diameter). Add seating or garden ornament, such as pots or sculpter. What you have created will be outdoor rooms that can be surrounded with planting beds. All the planting across the front of the house should be removed or relocated. Keep it simple and avoid the one of these two of these look to the planting. The end result will be walking through the landscape and not have the landscape create hard edges. Integrate the two as one. Remember the front of your home is the first impression visitors have of you and your home. Have fun and enjoy.
January 9, 2013 at 3:49AM     
Christa Somerville_Chase
To Branford design, Do you have some pictures for examples? It's the middle of winter in eastern Canada no work can begin until spring
January 10, 2013 at 9:04PM   
PRO
Blanford Design
I will post some photos for you soon.
January 15, 2013 at 10:36AM     
PRO
Clopay Building Products
Clopay offers an online garage door design tool on their website at www.clopaydoor.com. You can upload a photo of your home and try on different doors styles and colors to see how they change the look of your home. Clopay also offers entry doors that coordinate with their garage door styles - similar window designs and matching colors/paint finishes. I agree that a pergola over the garage door would add lots of charm to your exterior and visual interest to that side of your house.
January 15, 2013 at 10:47AM     
Christa Somerville_Chase
Loved the online site.... So many choices. Thanks:)
January 26, 2013 at 2:26PM   
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
I have seen aftermarket garage door decorative hardware somewhere - you know, like the strap hinges. It might be something worth considering if you don't want to spend money on garage doors right away.
January 26, 2013 at 4:54PM     
PRO
January 26, 2013 at 4:54PM     
Christa Somerville_Chase
Good idea! Thanks:)
January 27, 2013 at 4:54PM