Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Master Bathroom Mirrors
Heimarcla
October 30, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Hello,
I am purchasing a house which has 2 matching antique (French?) gold detailed mirrors in the master bathroom. They are huge, about 5 feet tall and 4 feet wide. Of course, the seller is not letting them be included in the sale, but she is willing to sell them both to me for $2500. She says she paid $4000 for both several years ago, which I don't doubt. I've looked online and mirrors similar to this are very expensive. My dilemma is that the ceilings are very high and there is a stained glass window between the two sinks. These do seem to fit perfectly and with such a big space, I don't know what other mirrors I could put there and not have it look strange. Do you think that these mirrors are worth paying $2500 for or do you have another idea as to what else I could do for mirrors that would look beautiful above the sinks?
Any opinions are greatly appreciated! I just cannot decide what to do. The mirrors will cost me alot of money, but I'm worried if I don't get them, I won't find something else that looks great and is big enough for the tall ceilings.....
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sarah Bernardy Design
If they are your style then spring for them! They can always be painted out if you ever want to get rid of the brass/gold. Mirrors very by materials and by manufacture and they look to have a great deal of detail to them. One thing to keep in mind is if they aren't your vision of home then they will never be right for your space.
1 Like   October 30, 2012 at 3:30PM
trebinje
What an amazing bathroom! Tell the seller that you'll pay no more than $500 (or whatever significantly discounted price you're comfortable with) for the pair (& be prepared to let them go - you have plenty of options for replacement). However, my guess is that the seller would rather pocket the $500 than go to the bother of un-installing, packing and moving them elsewhere, only to have to re-sell them. Or, what are the chances they work in her new home? If they did, she'd have taken them with her.

You have leverage. Use it.
6 Likes   October 30, 2012 at 3:38PM
PRO
ATGStores.com
Sarah's right - if they're what you want then you should go for it, especially considering they're already installed. That said, there are less expensive (although perhaps not ideal) alternatives. The mirrors pictured below are both in the $500 range and are a shade smaller, but hopefully give you an idea of what you can find for your dollar. Good luck!
2 Likes   October 30, 2012 at 3:40PM
Heimarcla
I already tried lowering the price and she won't do it. She would rather pack them up and keep them or try to resell them then sell them for less :( It is a neat bathroom with the stained glass window and high ceilings, but the reason I'm debating these mirrors so much is because I think they are what you look at and say "wow!" Otherwise the bathroom is white painted cabinetry, shiny white tile counters and floors and lots of outdated gold/brass (faucets and trim on shower and jetted tub).
2 Likes   October 30, 2012 at 3:46PM
Beth Morrow
The stain glass looks more like a mission style rather than French and all that gold is outdated anyway. Let her have them, replace the counter top, add some vessel sinks (you've got the room for them), then add some new wider, taller wood framed mirrors that are more w the style of the stain glass. You could even have the faucets come out of the mirrors. Replace the sconces and you have a new room. Now did that new room cost you $2500???? You bet it did? So, it's really do you love the style that you've got enough to pay the $2500, or do you want to spend that $ on making it your own? Good luck!
Your room is beautiful btw!
14 Likes   October 30, 2012 at 4:16PM
Heimarcla
Thanks Beth! That is good advice. I do love the mirrors, but I also do realize that the bathroom could use some updating and the gold mirrors even though they are so unique and beautiful, just kind of contribute to the brassy/gold outdated look of the bathroom. $2500 is alot of money for 2 mirrors and I could use that to get new counters and less ornate mirrors and sconces more my style. Not to mention replacing some of the brass around the room. Now I'm going to go look around houzz at the traditional bathrooms and find some ideas :)
5 Likes   October 30, 2012 at 4:26PM
PRO
BeautifulRemodel.com
I agree with the great advice above, and particularly with Beth's comments. If you plan to update the bathroom anyway, it would be wise to consider the many alternatives you have. In the existing space, the mirrors may be the wow factor, but with a remodeled bathroom, other (new) fixtures can take the dominant role instead. You have so many options. Think big picture and you'll be in good shape :)

Steve
2 Likes   October 30, 2012 at 4:57PM
Let her take the mirrors, they detract from the window.
Save the money to update countertops, fixtures and knobs . If you want a WOW factor ,add some amazing lighting. You will be able to find alternatives to these mirrors.
5 Likes   October 30, 2012 at 6:19PM
judianna20
The window is Craftsman and the bathroom is French. They do not go together at all. What is the style of the house? The sconces do not go with the mirrors nor the window. Let her have them.
2 Likes   October 30, 2012 at 6:29PM
Heimarcla
Thanks everyone! I appreciate everyone's advice, it is so helpful. I'm not sure what the style of the house is? The picture next to my name right here is a photo of the house. I guess it is kind of European? Traditional? I don't know ;) It is a super cool house, lots of neat finishes in it like more stained glass windows and some pretty millwork. But it is 19 years old and needs some updating. I will work on freshening it up the best I can even though my furniture isn't very cohesive and is kind of mix and match. It doesn't really go with the style of the house either, but oh well....
0 Likes   October 30, 2012 at 6:48PM
Beth Morrow
Glad to get the wheels turning...good luck!
0 Likes   October 30, 2012 at 7:06PM
Beth Morrow
Glad to get the wheels turning...good luck!
0 Likes   October 30, 2012 at 7:06PM
PRO
Mint Design
You cannot get a pair of antique mirrors for that price anywhere. Do you know the age? Are they gilt wood? If you like them, absolutely buy them...just price good mirror that size with no frame... If you do not care for them, do some research...you can enjoy them till you find something you like better and them sell them. Where are you located? If they are antique gilt wood I will buy them myself....seriously! I collect antiques and use them for clients as well.
1 Like   October 30, 2012 at 7:08PM
PRO
Linda
Those mirrors say WOW to me, but not necessarily in a good way, Too fussy for my taste but definitely a statement.

When we bought our house, the sellers had a mirror over the living room fireplace. I didn't even inquire about buying it because I had a large mirror...or so I thought. Of course, when we got possession, my mirror looked positively ridiculous over the 7 foot mantel and it took me about 3 or 4 years to find the right mirror at a reasonable price. Finding my mirror turned out to be a lot more difficult than I expected since my budget was in the hundreds, not thousands
0 Likes   October 30, 2012 at 8:14PM
judianna20
Your home is beautiful…chateau inspired. After seeing it, maybe keep the mirrors (and use in a more formal room) and change the leaded glass window to something more in line with the design of the house.
Brombal
John McDonald Co.
3 Likes   October 31, 2012 at 11:12AM
Bonnie
I think the mirrors are beautiful and the price is within the market range of what I have seen out there. That said if it is not your taste you should move on. At that price point you could probably have a custom mirror made. I know there has been a shift from the golds to the nickel and silver type finishes but ultimately it has to do with what you love--and stick with it. Don't pick something just because it is the "in" thing because in a year the "in" thing will be on its way out. Go with what you love.
1 Like   October 31, 2012 at 11:24AM
momsy
Not feeling those mirrors with the stained glass. Whether or not they are a good deal doesn't matter if they don't blend. They will command attention where ever they are, so they need to be properly attended. Just don't see it here.
2 Likes   October 31, 2012 at 11:34AM
Heimarcla
I'm really starting to agree with you momsy. They fit the high wall good above the sinks, but they really do not go with the stained glass. Actually, I do really like the mirrors though, just in another room. I may buy them both and keep one and sell the other. I'm trying to figure out where else in the house I can use one of the mirrors because the rest of the house is 8 ft ceilings, not any really tall places to use an almost 5 foot tall mirror......
0 Likes   October 31, 2012 at 11:37AM
PRO
Mint Design
Please do not break up the pair; they are much more valuable as a pair. You do not need to use them is the same room. Personally I would replace the stained glass with leaded, seeded, or translucent glass (an inexpensive solution) since your house does not appear to be craftsman to begin with and use the mirrors; they make the bath pop. I would keep the gold fixtures as they blend with the mirrors and gold is back....never really left...check at Sherle Wagner. and PE Guerin. Depending on your budget, I would rip out the tub and install a free standing soaking tub. I would replace the lavatory bowls and add applied moulding to the vanity doors (very cheap fix) and replace the sconces with something more in keeping with the elegance of the room. You have an elegant bath. Please do not dumb it down. If you are dead set on not using the mirrors there, you can hang them anywhere in your home slightly higher then center on the wall. People are afraid of large mirrors which is too bad because they are truly a foundation piece. I am very serious about buying these if you do not want them.
4 Likes   October 31, 2012 at 2:44PM
Heimarcla
Hi Mint Design,
I am located about 1 hour north of Seattle. What you are saying makes perfect sense and I truly keep debating on whether or not I should go with these mirrors. $2500 is alot of money to me for 2 mirrors even though I know they are worth that and more. I do like them alot, but I also feel like the bathroom is a bit outdated and that $2500 could be spent to change the countertops, sinks, faucets, sconces, light above the bath and even the very expensive task of tearing out the existing tub and doing something prettier. Not to mention the huge shower with huge amounts of brassy gold trim. If I purchase these from the seller, how would you go about buying them if you really would like to? ;) P.S. What is applied moulding? I appreciate your insight on these mirrors. They truly are beautiful and I don't know what decision to make!
0 Likes   October 31, 2012 at 2:58PM
PRO
Mint Design
I recently bought a single large antique gilt wood mirror at auction for over $10,000...I was bidding against dealers who would have marked it up to at least $25,000. I have not seen your mirrors but if they are what they appear...antique gilt wood, then $2500 is a steal. Go for them; they are an investment; you can update the bath later....who will notice with those smashing mirrors anyway! Take a look at the Sherle Wagner website and PE Guerin...you may feel differently about the brassy gold fixtures. DO you have a close up of the fixtures? Do you know what brand the fixtures are? Brass fixtures can always be replated. I have done homes for the 1% crowd and they will invest in pieces they can take with them if they ever sell before they redo a bath. You would not realize some of the baths I have redone for clients with antique mirrors an, mouldings and paint and no change to the fixtures. Just like the mirrors said wow to you but they were not included in the price of the home.... with those mirrors they did not have to redo the bath. Had you seen the bath without the mirrors you would not have had the same reaction.
Applied moulding is simply wood trim you add to plain doors. I am attaching some photos. You will need a mitre box to cut the corners if you do it yourself. Your local Home Depot or Lowe's probably offers classes. I am attaching some photos of applied moulding.
Can you get specifics on the mirrors...like age and composition?
3 Likes   October 31, 2012 at 3:36PM
PRO
Joanne Jakab Interior Design
I feel there is no cohesion between these expensive French mirrors and the dated bathroom. I love eclectic but this doesn't feel like a good design investment. There are so many options and $2500 could cover a lot of improvements.
2 Likes   October 31, 2012 at 3:55PM
PRO
Joanne Jakab Interior Design
Mint design has a point - if you have a plan to spend $25-45k upgrading this room then keep the mirrors
1 Like   October 31, 2012 at 3:57PM
Heimarcla
Oh yes! That applied moulding really helps the cabinets from looking so plain. It makes them look expensive and custom. I will definitely be doing that :)
I asked the seller if she could tell me how old the mirrors are or where they were made and she said that she purchased the mirrors about 10 years ago when they bought the house. She had looked for months to find large, stately mirrors that fit on that tall wall above the sinks and she fell in love with them. She doesn't remember any details about them. She just said that she paid $4000 for the pair. So I am not 100% sure if they are gold gilded mirrors. They look old and antique and when I type in gold gilt mirrors or French antique mirrors in an internet search, they look similar to alot that comes up. I never inspected the mirrors super close up but I'm assuming they are carved wood with gold leaf over it. They are really ornate and detailed. I am closing on the house on November 16th and I won't get a chance to see them before then. The seller is waiting for my answer and wanting it soon because if I don't get the mirrors, she wants to start taking them down and packing them (which will be an ordeal in itself I'm sure!) You are basically the only person who has answered me that really seems to like the mirrors. Most everyone else said to let her have them and to update instead. I want to update, but won't have much money to do so if I buy the mirrors, but if I don't buy them I don't know what else to put there that will look right or be much cheaper. I do love the style of the mirrors, so it's not something where I am questioning my own taste (if that makes any sense!) So, if I buy them and then decide they aren't what I want in the bathroom and I can't find anywhere else to use them in my house, do you really think I would have a pretty easy time selling them? If they are the "real" thing wood gilt gold (which I do think they are), how much, in your opinion, do you think a pair of mirrors like this could sell for? I have looked online alot and haven't really found any mirrors that are very close to these.....
0 Likes   October 31, 2012 at 3:58PM
Heimarcla
Oh, any renovations I do on this room would definitely not be in that price range! More like 5k-8k is what I could afford. Which, I don't even know how much I could get done with that amount. Probably not too much, but I've never renovated any rooms before so I have no idea. The bathroom is useable just a little dated. Not like some of the stunners you see here on houzz!
0 Likes   October 31, 2012 at 4:02PM
Bonnie
I like the mirrors too!
1 Like   October 31, 2012 at 4:29PM
joycemaryvonne
These aren't such great mirrors. They are not made for the frames: no beveled edges! I wouldn't buy even a cheap mirror if it weren't beveled. There are myriad beautiful mirrors for sale, antique, reproduction, hand carved, machine carved, pressed Styrofoam, anything you want. I have a beveled mirror that is synthetic wood and until one touches it, one cannot tell it isn't some old thing out of an old chateau, $79 at Tuesday Morning. And who says gold or brass is out of fashion? Just because something is au courant, doesn't mean everything else isn't good. I think the room is gorgeous but need some color and some beautiful fabrics. I say make the room look as grand as the house appears to be. Large art on the walls, rugs (reproduction and synthetic fabric), rich Damask in a subtle somewhat masculine color (navy and taupe), serious furniture: not a petite wire vanity stool but a real chair that is comfortable and brings some weight to the room. Color the ceiling. A soft pink or coral. Have fun. Enough is never enough! Joyce
0 Likes   October 31, 2012 at 4:53PM
trebinje
Let the owner take the mirrors. You're trying to convince yourself that they are some great deal, but you yourself can't establish the provenance of the mirrors and the owner won't let you. That's not a reasonable business transaction. Game over.

You have to ask youself this question: "Would I buy these mirrors today from a store for $2,500 if I had a blank slate and was designing my bathroom in exactly the way I wanted it?". If the answer is Yes - and based on your comments above, I seriously doubt it - then by all means, hand over the $2,500 and decorate around them as the "investment piece" you've made them.
4 Likes   October 31, 2012 at 5:08PM
louiseallrich
You should check with a framer what it would cost to make custom mirrors exactly the look you want. I was suprised how little it can be. Also check the regional auction houses near you. There are some amazing buys.
0 Likes   October 31, 2012 at 5:43PM
PRO
Durpetti Interiors
If you do not LOVE the style of mirrors, do not buy them.
0 Likes   October 31, 2012 at 5:44PM
PRO
Mint Design
Does she remember where she bought them? If not, ask her if you can have access to the house ...but take an antique appraiser with you. 5-8k will not begin to do what these mirrors do...add the moulding, paint, some lavish Italian towels, some large glass containers filled with bath salts, get her to throw in the candlesticks, and change the stained glass to frosted or seeded or hang a custom balloon shade over the window lowered just enough to cover the green portion which will hide what makes it arts and crafts. I am attaching a photo of a bathroom at the Plaza Hotel....it has gold Sherle Wagner fixtures and an impressive gold mirror over each lavatory and it is spectacular. If you are planning to spend 5-8k deduct the 2500 for the mirrors and use the rest to do the moulding, paint the walls and tub tile (easy how to instructions on the web and probably Home Depot or Lowe's classes), replace or custom cover the stained glass window, replace the sconces (sell old ones on craigslist), buy the accessories mentioned above and have an elegant bath that will wow you and everyone else. Please keep me posted on what you decide re the mirrors as I seriously want them if you do not. :)
2 Likes   October 31, 2012 at 5:56PM
carolannr
I'm sorry but the mirrors, faucets even the sconces looks so dated and do not relate to the timeless beauty of the stained glass. They may be worth the $$ she wants but I don't think mirrors that are not even beveled are not the quality she is claiming. It sounds like you already have plans to update the fixtures and furnishings for this bath, do it the way you want. While I can appreciate that some people may love this extravagant style, I think it kind of went the way of the 80's.
1 Like   October 31, 2012 at 6:21PM
PRO
Mint Design
If these mirrors are as old as I think they are, the glass has most likely been replaced, either because it broke over the years or because someone did not want the aged glass which tends to turn dark or grey and splotchy....not so good for putting on makeup. I do know antiques and decor and I do designs which fit the client. I do not recommend trendy decorating as it will be outdated in a short time. 5-8k will not do much in the way of renovations but it will go along way to update what you have. You mentioned earlier that you love the mirrors...if you get them and find something you like better you can sell them...but I don't think you will and I think you will regret not getting them.....if you call the shop that sold these to the seller they can most likely tell you everything you want to know, but from what I am seeing they are the real thing.
1 Like   October 31, 2012 at 6:53PM
restoredtreasurestoo
I totally agree with judyg. These mirrors do not go with the mirror. The mirrors are over the top ornate but then you have builder grade sinks and tile square counters. Just think it's a mismatched mess.
0 Likes   October 31, 2012 at 7:35PM
restoredtreasurestoo
Whoops, I meant to say the mirrors don't go with the window!
0 Likes   October 31, 2012 at 7:36PM
PRO
Mint Design
You asked how much I think the mirrors would sell for...depends on the market where you are unless you get a large auction house like Sotheby's to take them. I would really need to see them, but from what I can see they are over 100 years old, probably replaced glass, and wood with gilt over red bowl which is the traditional and time-staking method of fine water gilt. I would guess...and it is an educated guess based on what I am seeing ...the rock bottom in a bad market in a location that is not metropolitan would be $5,000 to $7000. Depending on the market and location they could go as high as $50,000 retail for the pair. They are the nicest part of the bathroom and you can take them if and when you sell. Check to price of a Carerra marble vanity top and tub surround, a seamless shower door, some elegant sconces, lavish towels and balloon shade...you can use Carrera tiles if the slabs are too high. The moulding is cheap as is tile paint if you go that route...even new lavatory bowls are relatively cheap as is an old clawfoot tub which can be refinished. I am encouraging you because you said you like the mirrors and are not questioning your own taste. BTW I see your home; it is beautiful and definitely NOT arts and crafts so it is the window which does not go....are the other stainded glass windows also arts and crafts or another style like Tudoor or Gothic?
1 Like   October 31, 2012 at 8:02PM
Heimarcla
Yes, there are 3 other stained glass windows in the house. The smaller one with the red is right by the front door (coat closet window). And the other 2 are also next to the front door in the small "round" room. They all look like the same style as the one in the master bath.
0 Likes   October 31, 2012 at 9:15PM
Natalie
Have to agree with the majority---let the owner have them!
1 Like   October 31, 2012 at 9:37PM
restoredtreasurestoo
Whoa, now I am convinced that you should let the owner have the mirrors unless you are willing to change all the stain glassed windows. Pick a style and go for it! Those mirrors are just too ornate for everything else in your home. @mint Design, you can tell that these mirrors MAY be worth $5,000-$50,000 by looking at these pictures? There are a lot of great reproductions out there and it seems you are getting her hopes up. And $5,000-$50,000 is a pretty wide range.
0 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 6:01AM
melibd
I went to your idea books. I think you are trying to convince yourself to buy these mirrors. Nothing, That I saw in your idea books were in this style. I saw some distressed furniture, craftsman style pictures and traditional baths. If you and your husband can do some of the work, a couple of thousand will go a long way. Let her pack those mirrors, I don't think you REALLY like them. There are a lot of things I appreciate/like, BUT that are not my style and would not enjoy looking at every day.

1. Pick a warmer wall color
2. Trim out and maybe paint the cabinets, distress them
3. Change counter tops.
4. Update all the fixtures
0 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 6:30AM
melibd
Mirrors like this, would go with your stained window

2 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 6:35AM
Heimarcla
Melibd, your comment is very helpful. That is the exact route I am going to go. I really feel like I can make the bathroom something more that I like with the money. And you are right, I'm glad that you looked at my ideabooks because I have very traditional baths in there and I will be happier with a bathroom like those. I think the mirrors are gorgeous and unique and I APPRECIATE them, but I don't necessarily need or want to design the whole bathroom around them so that they "mesh". I just told the seller I am passing on the mirrors. Paint, new faucets, sinks, knobs on cabinets, light fixtures, moulding on cabinets and perhaps a light glaze and that will really change the bathroom. Later down the road when I have more money I will update the gold trim around the shower doors and change out the gold trimmed jetted tub with all of the ugly tile around it.
3 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 11:06AM
momsy
Anyone want to take a side-bet that the owner ends up leaving the mirrors?
3 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 11:58AM
Heimarcla
Hahahha! That would be cool momsy ;) But I am doubting it! Thanks for following the drama-filled discussion I started!
0 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 12:02PM
PRO
Granite Transformations
Hi Heimarcla,

I think you should spring for the mirrors. I'd ask if they'd take $2000 for them to try and save another $500. But, they're very unique and their elaborate design is stunning. I think they're a one-of-a-kind mirror and you'll probably be hard pressed to mind something else as perfect for that space.

$2500 is a lot to shell out for mirrors, but they're expensive and if you're going to invest money into your home, the bathroom is the right place to drop the money.

Good luck with your decision!
2 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 12:08PM
nking43
Let her have the mirrors. You can do so much better! Unfortunately, they are so ornate that even if they are top quality, they almost look ... A little trashy.
1 Like   November 1, 2012 at 1:45PM
ideahuntress
I think there are some good ideas but think I'd go for a kind of shabby chic look , keeping the mirrors but changing out the cupboards for a more modern look and losing alot of the gold which is out-dated and maybe changing the window pane for a frosted glass ? It is a gorgeous home.
0 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 1:53PM
judianna20
I'm in on the bet. Although I don't know how we can collect. I think she will leave them (unless she is on Houzz and see this). :>)
1 Like   November 1, 2012 at 2:31PM
olldcan
Me too, they're probably fastened with some super duper adhesive and would only come off with a pry bar causing major damage. I bet they stay installed, for zero dollars cause I would not pay extra for them.
0 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 2:38PM
PRO
Mint Design
@Rhonda Vaudt, if you read my post I said it was an educated guess based on what I can see from the photographs. I would certainly be willing to talk with the owner and/or the seller myself as, if they are what I think they are I would buy them for that and pay to have them shipped and stored until I have the right client for them. Judging from these posts there are not many who have an education in antiques and her first question was "do you think these mirrors are worth paying $2500 for" Well, I deal with antiques every day and I do think they are worth that. I do not think those who compare them to a $79 synthetic wood mirror, or describe them as ttrashy know the first thing about antiques. I think those who say they are dated have not stayed lately at the the Plaza or St. Regis or the Pierre in NYC. There are many different styles of decor,,,not everyone wants Restoration Hardware or Pottery Barn. or West Elm. If she does not want them, that is another matter entirely. I do not know the type of clientele the others have but I can assure you I have clients who would jump at these if they are what they appear.
2 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 5:39PM
Heimarcla
Mint Design - Contact me at heimarcla@hotmail.com
1 Like   November 1, 2012 at 6:53PM
restoredtreasurestoo
I did read your post ma'am, and I still don't know how you can tell that these aren't incredible reproductions, because there are incredible reproductions out there. And I can only speak for myself that I have not been to The Plaza Hotel, or St. Regis Hotel, or The Pierre Hotel in NYC, but I would think that if Heimarcla had that kind of money she wouldn't be on Houzz decorating forum asking whether or not these mirrors are worth 2500. As far as the style of decorating.... I don't think I implied that she needed to decorate with Restoration Hardware, Pottery Barn, or West Elm. If you read my post you would have known that I suggest she PICK A STYLE and go with it.
2 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 7:00PM
PRO
Mint Design
@Rhonda Vault....I said it was an educated guess...not an appraisal....
and people can have champagne taste on a beer budget. One's budget does not dictate their taste or style. :)
1 Like   November 1, 2012 at 7:08PM
restoredtreasurestoo
It's VAUDT......with a "D"
0 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 7:30PM
Bonnie
Mint Design- i totally agree with your comment regarding these mirrors. They are exquisite and unique. French or continental decor is not for everyone but it is totally timeless because it is based on sound design principles. Plus it is really fun to use a beautiful piece like that and mix in a contemporary piece or
two. I think these mirrors could be incorporated into the right room in a very
chic and fresh way.
2 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 7:31PM
PRO
Mint Design
Thank you, Bonnie. You are so right and it really is fun to do, isn't it? So nice to design a space and have fun at the same time! I have used similar pieces in a totally contemporary setting....it keeps things from being too boring and really adds a wow factor! I have also used a completely contemporary work or art or sculpture in a traditional or period room for the same effect. I just love the antiques gilt mirrors in the attached photos of contemporary rooms! They speak so beautifully I cannot imagine the rooms without them!
3 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 8:04PM
Bonnie
Mint-- beautiful pics! Exactly!
1 Like   November 1, 2012 at 8:42PM
PRO
Jordan Culver
Those are gorgeous mirrors. $2500 is a steal. If you like them, BUY THEM. Replacing them with anything that doesn't disappoint you by comparison will not be cheap. Then save up and redo the counters later.
If they aren't really to your taste, then let them go, and I like the idea of using that $2500 to redo the counters, new knobs, etc. But $2500 doesn't actually go a long way in redecorating. Compare the $2500 as a % of the house purchase price to the impact that the mirrors have. I think you'll see they are a good investment.
2 Likes   November 2, 2012 at 1:56AM
Heimarcla
@Mint Design - Your regular email mailbox is full, so my latest message keeps coming back to me and can't be sent to you.
0 Likes   November 2, 2012 at 4:08PM
PRO
Mint Design
Thank you, Bonnie!
1 Like   November 2, 2012 at 5:42PM
lindarohr
The gold in your bathroom, whether on the mirrors, facets, shower, hardware etc. is very outdated and does not match the outside of the cottage style house as well. Take the $2,500 you are thinking of spending and upgrade your bathroom. You'll need more the $2,500 as the cabinets are dated as well but the investment in your bathroom will really help should you sell the house and the positive is you get to enjoy being in your bathroom that is modern vs. an eyesore while living there. Happy decorating!!!
0 Likes   November 3, 2012 at 9:41PM
PRO
Vierra Fine Homes
These mirrors are definitely worth 4000. Purchase them they look outstanding in the room!
2 Likes   November 3, 2012 at 11:12PM
hockey456
Did anyone consider the splashing that may occur from the sinks just below?? I would never put thousands of dollars worth of mirrors in the splash zone to be ruined! Pass on them and find something beautiful and practical.
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 12:09AM
PRO
Mint Design
@hockey456 they have been there for 12 years already...and they appear to be 4-6 inches off the counter. I don't think that is a problem. :)
1 Like   November 4, 2012 at 5:34AM
beattieboggs
I love those mirrors. They are so beautiful. The type you might see in some very expensive European hotel or home.
2 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 8:48AM