powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
How to support an island without cabinet?
Bhavika Thakkar
October 31, 2012 in Design Dilemma
hi, we are getting an island design with ceaserstone on the top and it falls down as waterfall on one side. on the other side, we were planning to support using a metal leg so that bar stools can go under that side. now we realize, that the side of the stone(screwed to wooden floors) and the leg are not enough to support the island. How do we do this without adding more legs?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
daveyola
Get an architectural column that's larger in diameter or use a steel beam with a flat thin top to provide lateral support and wrap the trim in a veneer like azek OR more of the countertop material
0 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 3:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
BeautifulRemodel.com
Hi Bhavika,

There are a few ways to accomplish what you're looking for other than additional legs. (I've used each of these on my projects many times)

#1. Rod the countertop - this involves the counter being routed on the underside to accept steel rods which are epoxied in place and which add additional cantilevering support.
#2. Add a 1/4 steel plate to the underside of the counter which is flush bolted into the cabinetry supporting the counter. The metal plate should extend at least 2/3 on the cabinet, for 1/3 off. Ideally place this above the sub top.
#3 Increase the thickness of the counter and install large L brackets which are side bolted into either the cabinetry (in between) adjacent to the counter, or onto the framing of a pony wall behind the cabinetry. The top of the L bracket is hidden by the additional thickness of the counter and sub top.
#4 Add surface mounted corbels. My least favorite choice but it sometimes its the only viable option.

Steve
2 Likes   November 10, 2012 at 8:33PM
More Discussions
Need help with a dining room tablescape
I'm looking for just the right tablescape to set off...
need help with my bathroom
This is a small bathroom in the playroom downstairs....
Screen divider size
How do you decide the best configuration and number...
wallpaper off in my entry way - now What? can I get the paste off?
I am wanting to redo my 6.5x11 entryway. tore the...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.