Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
My chairs. So disappointed
carlyabbey
November 1, 2012 in Design Dilemma
For those of you who have followed my prior dining room thread., thank you for your fabulous ideas. I have made alot of changes from my original pics and excited to move forward with the fireplace surround and above the buffet area. One part of the dining room I was really excited about was the addition of new dining room chairs. For this, I didn't want to mess up so I found a wonderful decorator who found a great deal on these leather chairs in a catalog. They were all "camel " color. she thought it would look wonderful to pick out spectacular fabric and then cover the top part of the chair and leave the bottom. so I ordered fabric from a company and then when the chairs came in brought them to an upholsterer. I think the fabric is pretty, although in the pics, it may not come off as subtle as it is, but it does match nicely with it surrounding. When the chairs arrived I took one look at them and :( The color of the leather seats just sticks out so badly. Now after all this, I think I am going to have to order more fabric possibly a dark brown leather? to make these work. I am spending a fortune!! any ideas? thank you for your kindness
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Aggie Purvinska
They are very unusual chairs, yes, maybe the leather would be better a dark brown, but is it really worth the expense? I am actually more bothered by their dark legs. Would you consider painting the legs a tan, similar to the background color of the fabric?
10 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 11:27AM
janishill
The chairs are lovely, but I see what you see. It would have been nice if you had draped the fabric over the back and had taken a good look at it first or had brought the first chair home and looked at in the room...BUT that is all water under the bridge.

A solution I see is a painting ~ with the leather color in it ~ hanging over the fireplace. It would tie all the colors together...
5 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 11:37AM
Aggie Purvinska
Also I was thinking maybe painting the yellow walls some kind of lighter version of the leather..

7 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 11:42AM
decoenthusiaste
They aren't as bad as you think. It is the legs. You can change them out I bet. Or, can you cover them with that great alligator on the buffet? Maybe have them faux painted like the buffet. I don't think beige would work with the dark table. Agree that the painting on the FP could help. It is looking great! Keep tweaking!
2 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 11:47AM
PRO
Classical Home Design, Inc. by Susan Berry
I think that your bare naked table is the reason that the chairs are a bit overpowering. The table looks like it has orange undertones, which are making the chair leather look too orange. You could finish the table in a darker espresso type of color to be a closer match to the chair legs. That would be cheaper than changing the leather. You can leasve the table color alone and just add some terra cotta clay accessories in the room. Table accessories including a runner, some candles and a floral arrangement will help pull the colors together. Also, when you select art for the fireplace wall, pick art that brings in the leather color. As you add more finishing elements to the room, the boldness of the leather seats will visually disappear.
3 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 11:49AM
carlyabbey
Thank you for your ideas thus far. . I know it's so hard when you are expecting perfection and are disappointed. Here is what the chairs look like without seeing the leather. Between the decorator the chairs , the fabric, the upholsterer, I have already spend a small fortune, but if I am going to walk by this everyday, I need to come up with a solution... thats why I love and count on my fellow houzzers.. Janis, thank you so much for following me.. I followed your wonderful ideas with Frank. :)
1 Like   November 1, 2012 at 11:49AM
carlyabbey
very interesting idea with the legs!
0 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 11:52AM
lsullivan712
I wouldn't do anything to the chairs until you get the whole room completed, then take a week or two and reevaluate.
5 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 11:54AM
PRO
Connie Nikiforoff Designs
Oh dear :-( I too see your dilemma. OK...here's what you can try to see if the odd color can be brought into your scheme without spending a fortune. I do a LOT of redesign on teeeeeeeny budgets so I'm constantly working with "what ya got".

Go out and find some accessories hopefully at a thrift store ( like vases, lamps, statues,etc.) that really strike your eye. It doesn't really matter what they look like cuz if they speak to you in some way, they're "right". Then get some spray paint that looks similar to the color of the seats. Spray paint the items to match. That way it'll look like you planned that seat cushion color into the scheme.

OK...now you might say, "that's not going to work because........" And I agree. This might not totally solve your situation. Have you considered the possibility that there are too many different colors in this room? I know, some people like to use all the colors in the fabrics. I don't, because often it just gets too visually busy. I would change that blue wall to a color closer to the color of the seats but maybe a bit lighter or darker so it's not too matchy-matchy. Again, it will make the chairs appear as they were part of the original design. Paint is time consuming but far less expensive than some other options...and you can do it yourself.

To me the fabric on the chairs fights with its busy pattern and the rug's pattern. Same colors yes, but a lot visually going on there. That's why you might need to simply the entire room's design scheme. It is a dining room and who wants to be 'busied' by the room while they're trying to eat dinner? Just a thought.......

So bottom line....draw the color of the seat cushions in more so they don't look like they don't belong. I wouldn't go get the chairs recovered...that's a bundle of money there. Paint, inexpensive large-scale accessories and possible just removing the rug(?) will give you an enormous change for little money. Hope you give these ideas a try and then do another post :-)

Best of luck! Wish I could be there to help you in person. :-)
6 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 11:55AM
PRO
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
Looked and looked to find a two tone leather chair to give you ideas - could not find any thing - then went back and studied the photo - perhaps the leather stands out because our eyes are drawn versus another focal point - the suggestion janishill gave is a start - a painting, mirror or table centerpiece/s might help divert attention from the leather seats . . .
Villages at Sheltered Harbor Model Condo
1512 Dolphin Terrace
0 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 11:57AM
lessismoore
It's the legs. How crazy is this - what about a "antiqued" type of blue-gray stain? Almost white (but in reality blue-gray) washing them? Like this:

http://www.minwax.com/images/stains-color-guide/large/wood-stains-clear-tint/mwbws_riverstone_300.jpg
3 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 12:04PM
carlyabbey
wow. I am so grateful for so many ideas in such a short time.
0 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 12:04PM
Christine
Yikes! Sister, there is a lot going on in that room just between the chairs, their upholstery, the rug and drapes. If I were your designer I would have toned the room way down and just made the chair fabric be the POP! Instead you have too many things competing so the room does not feel restful. If your designer purchased she should have some professional courtesy credit coming her way and redo the entire leather portion and the chair legs. You need a serious girlfriend intervention so invite your buds over and ask them how they feel when they are in the room. Go from there. Also your dining table comes off as a conference table with those 3 light fixtures. Your designer should choose one bigger, longer, lower, sexier chandelier with crystal. A little bling would do you right.
3 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 12:37PM
olldcan
Too much pattern going on between your rug and the chair backs. Too many colours in the room. Legs obviously need to be addressed and a simple fix at that. The big question is darken the table legs to match or lighten the chair legs. Paint some of the room to match the leather. Perhaps the patio door wall so the fact that the door isn't cantered isn't so obvious. If you have the pumpkin leather underneath the backs I'd be ripping that fabric off immediately, I'm sorry but the fabric is awful.
0 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 12:39PM
carlyabbey
oh my...
0 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 12:42PM
janishill
carlyabbey...thank you for your kind words. :-)

Right now there is no other focal point. The chairs automatically get your eyes attention. A centerpiece will divert your eyes from the chirs to the table top.

And I loved AggieDesigns idea of painting the wall, but I understand if you have just painted...and the existing color does work beautifully with the rug and the chairs.

Is there a mirror over the buffet? If not perhaps putting a mirror there to reflect the artwork over the fireplace, so the color is reinterarted.

Will you have a surround and mantle?

Perhaps the best solution is not to do anything untill all the other components are in place. When everything is finished then the chairs may be a lovely fit. If they still appear a little off then you might consider changing the color of the legs.
0 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 12:43PM
carlyabbey
janis My room has evolved... There used to be a mirror over the buffet. took it, down, darkened and faux painted the buffet and kept it. going to put grass cloth above buffet, along with a pic and two sconces..one on each side..put up the pendants, painted the fireplace wall (houzzer idea), took down the metal candle holder and will prob put a surround eventually.. I LOVE getting ideas that is why I am on the site..
0 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 12:54PM
sondramartina
Since you have already spent so much money and all that headache ,I would not invest into those chairs or try to change other things. I would just spend another 1000(or less) on new ones .I don’t know where you live but Home Sense has a great chairs for reasonable price. Than you can keep everything else and have your dining room ready in a day.
Good luck
1 Like   November 1, 2012 at 1:16PM
bamamom
Carly, call the designer immediately and express your displeasure! She/he should be willing to help you to resolve this situation!
4 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 1:32PM
anitajoyce
If you don't like the result of the way the chairs look in the room, I would cover them with nice chair covers. This would be less expensive than getting the seats reupholstered anyway. There are a lot of nice chair covers to choose from to help give you the look you want for your dining room. You could go online and check out some stores to see what style and color of chair covers you like. Last, as some others have mentioned, you can always sell the chairs and buy something that you really like and love!
5 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 1:34PM
carolannr
You did not need that extra pattern in the room - the chairs would even be better if they were all that lighter color of the seats. The decorator should take responsibility for her part in this debacle and fix this.
4 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 1:43PM
olldcan
@carlyabbey, If you not ready to handle a variety of opinions, quit posting your questions and looking for sympathy on a blog. An honest opinion, with no monetary gain is positive advice. Now if you'll please excuse me, I have to put my rose coloured sunglasses back on :)
0 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 1:48PM
trebinje
A final "Hail Mary" on the chairs might be to darken or dye the leather closer to the color of the legs. I use Neatsfoot oil to darken my riding saddles, and it deepens the original leather color down many shades. Or, try Feibing's Leather Dye. Just a thought!
2 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 1:49PM
carlyabbey
She actually believe it or not is an award winning designer, none the less. My room is a mess and I will need to figure this out. I appreciate ALL suggestions truly. this of course is my house, and therefore want it to look wonderful. Thank you all for your time... Maybe some chair covers is the way to go.
1 Like   November 1, 2012 at 1:58PM
bamamom
Carly....PLEASE call her! I think if she knows how truly unhappy you are, she will be willing to help your resolve the situation. I'm so sorry that the chairs are such a huge disappointment for you.
2 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 2:02PM
ideahuntress
HI, there . I think there are some good ideas in the previous posts. I think at the moment there is nothing bringin the room together . Unlike some people I do like the 2 different colours on the walls. I think maybe the rug and the curtains need to be looked at - make it so they leave the table and the fabric chairs do the talking as they say ! Maybe plainer for both and do love the idea of painting the legs of the chairs , I don't think I'd go cream but definitely some sort of lighter brown . Hope you get it sorted but sometimes you need to take a step back and see what comes to you.
2 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 2:08PM
carlyabbey
I just sent her off these pictures to see what she says.. thanks
1 Like   November 1, 2012 at 2:14PM
carlyabbey
lol probably not.... hopefully I can make it right
0 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 2:55PM
carlyabbey
I am having thanksgiving at my house this year. Hopefully I can make it presentable
0 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 2:57PM
carlyabbey
should I paint the fireplace wall back to the original color ?
0 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 3:02PM
Aggie Purvinska
No, why?
1 Like   November 1, 2012 at 3:07PM
PRO
Classical Home Design, Inc. by Susan Berry
The point of hiring a Designer, is for her to bring the whole room together. That means letting her select all of the fabrics, the paint, the art and the accessories. Without all of these items complete, the room will never feel right. When clients hesitate and want to go one piece at a time, they always end up unhappy in the middle.
WARNING: If you hire a designer to only do part of a room, like sell you the chairs or do only the drapes, she is going to sell you the most expensive thing that she can because she knows that you aren't buying anything else. She has to make her money. In the future, establish a budget for the room and have a Designer create the total room for you within that budget.
2 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 3:09PM
carlyabbey
that's great advice.
0 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 3:16PM
carlyabbey
I definitely need some accessories.as suggested
0 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 3:20PM
cypress
Just thought I would add my 2 cents. If you love the chair fabric, why not see if the upholsterer could do the bottom part of the chairs in the same pattern fabric to match the top part. Good luck in whatever you decide.
0 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 3:21PM
lessismoore
I'm back - beyond painting the chair legs a lighter color, and, if you really love the patterned upholstery with the rug (and I do think they "match") I'd suggest you change out the curtains for a solid shade (I like gray/blue there too) and I like that single wall in a more pumpkin tone as has been suggested. I through on a plain table runner here, and got you some brushed stainless vases (to match with your light fixtures, tie them in). I would (though not key) suggest that you have a darker stain on the floors too. Anyhow, here a idea of how that might look. It sounds like you have plans for a surround or more work on the fireplace so I'm not even going there (but I added a picture/mirror, a place holder - you will want/need something there).
9 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 3:34PM
carolannr
I agree this could be an option too, They do look nice with the paint on the frplc wall. Now, about those drapes...
1 Like   November 1, 2012 at 3:39PM
judianna20
lessismoore I think you are on to something here. Can you change the paint color of all the walls to a color lighter than the drapes or the neutral of the rug? And could you change the legs of the chair to the stain of the table? Thanks. I don't know how to do that.
1 Like   November 1, 2012 at 4:03PM
carlyabbey
I love that you could photoshop!! Would you mind making the leather a darker color? I definitely want to get rid of the "camel" pumpkin color, not add too it. The color of the chair legs are black. That's easy enough to change... Thank you so much for your time!,,,
0 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 4:23PM
carlyabbey
I could paint the yellow a softer parchment like color...Which is the background color in chair also in rug...
0 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 4:24PM
bamamom
Keep your fireplace wall color.
Great idea lessismoore.
Also, like the idea of using the fabric on the seats.
Keep us posted carly.
1 Like   November 1, 2012 at 4:56PM
anitajoyce
I agree with bamamom, Let the designer know how you feel and hopefully she will replace the chairs or offer you a full refund of your hard earned money!
0 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 5:53PM
judianna20
Yes, carlyabbey, paint ALL the walls the neutral in your rug/chairs. You have enough going on. Hang drapery panels in the same neutral, maybe a linen. Make them full and rich looking. Lower your pendants. (Sometime) put up a grass cloth the same color as the wall neutral where the sideboard is with a wide rectangular mirror over it. I think if you wrap the entire room neutral it may work out o k. Paint is cheaper than new chairs. Try it first. If you still don't like it the walls and drapes will go with that beautiful rug and that won't have to be changed again.

1 Like   November 1, 2012 at 6:21PM
lessismoore
Hi - glad you like the Photoshop. It makes a huge difference when you can "see" what the whole thing might look sort of like (certainly can save money ... ). Anyhow - here is "down and dirty" version with the changes you wanted: Darker leather on chairs, chair legs matching table, parchment color on walls. I love the color of the fireplace wall in this room and love the tiles. I would not change that! But I think the big difference (though comparatively a small thing) is changing out the drapes to a solid. Either change the drapes, or full skirt cover the chairs (maybe both?). :-)
1 Like   November 1, 2012 at 6:36PM
carlyabbey
Lessismore, would you mind making the seats even darker(dark like the buffet) and taking the gray off the curtains just so I can see the difference?. I GREATLY APPRECIATE YOU,,
0 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 6:54PM
janishill
Oh Carly...you must be overwhelmed. I am and i didn't even read all the posts!

Before you do anything, call the designer. Personally I like the chair fabric and the rug together. I also like the fabric with the leather. The only thing I don't like are the chair legs against the leather...BUT with accessories they may become a non-issue.

Let me ask a couple more questions; do you want this room to feel open and airy or cozy? I know you want it to be contemporary yet traditional while being sophisticated. It is almost there.

How old is your house?
0 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 7:13PM
PRO
the essentials inside
Hi Carly. Just spotted this thread. So sorry about the chairs - I know that must have been a big expense. So glad you are getting such great input on this thread. (Hi Frank's team!! :)

I agree w/many of the suggestions here but I'm thinking maybe the best thing to do now, as suggested, is go with some covers if the designer doesn't redo the chairs for you. That will let you take a breath and work on the accessories. Plus with the holidays coming up, you can do some elegant holiday-esque chair covers.

lessismore - silly for me to ask but.....can you also change out the rug to a more neutral pattern. I'm not a good enough photo-shopper to do that.

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
1 Like   November 1, 2012 at 7:21PM
Christine
Just thought I would add my 2 cents. If you love the chair fabric, why not see if the upholsterer could do the bottom part of the chairs in the same pattern fabric to match the top part. Good luck in whatever you decide.

I think "Cypress" posted the suggestion above and this is my agreement as well. Since the chair fabric is pretty and very much a statement piece, I would do the entire chair in this fabrick and lighten the legs of all chairs to match the wood on the table. I would paint the entire room one color (my choice is for the blue on the wall). Buy one long chandelier with a black or gold silk shade with hanging crystals and dorp the chandelier lower to the table. Exchange the rug for something more solid or with a larger geometric pattern. Those curtains do nothing for the window because it would have benefitted from there being a valance to cover the sheetrocked portion above the door. Then style the room up with a full table setting and maybe a round mirror and then you need some other accents around the room. Since it is a dining room take it easy with the pictures and instead let the chair fabric take center stage with one large print somewhere else. Also I would maybe opt for brass nailheads on the chair sides to give a little gleam.
0 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 7:28PM
pcmom1
There is a suggestion to use Neatsfoot oil to deepen the color of the leather: if you keep chairs I say go for it! I changed a room's color and needed to deepen the color of cellular shades. Did it by painting the back with a cold cup of coffee. A woman's gotta do what a woman's gotta do.

I also think you should paint all the walls, especially the blue. Blue is opposite orange on the color wheel. So the blue so near just makes that orange seat stick out all the more.
0 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 7:32PM
lessismoore
Hi Carly and Lyvonne - here are (quick) changes that hopefully envision what you are envisioning? The chairs are darker in each, legs to more match table, parchment walls, and a neutral (basic parchment?) rug with essentially no pattern .. I left one curtain panel up and one down for comparisons.
3 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 7:52PM
sondramartina
That seat looks veru shiny ,like it is not real leather. IN that case color can not be deepened.Beside that busy fabric covers big surface.I would not bother keeeping those chairs
0 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 7:54PM
bamamom
Nice lessismoore! Like the blue panels and darker seats.
1 Like   November 1, 2012 at 7:55PM
janishill
lessismoore...I know you probably don't want to do any more, but can you just change all the walls to the neutral color and leave everything else as it really is? I wonder if the blue is what makes the chair seats seem so orange.
Thanks!
0 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 8:10PM
carlyabbey
Thank you!! My husband just brought us home a new puppy tonight! This could be a huge distraction!,,,,
2 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 8:21PM
lessismoore
Hi Janishill - I can try that tomorrow, but I really think that the current leather on the chairs is just very pumpkiny, and with the dark legs, it really draws your attention. I love the blue wall and think it makes the upholstery and Carly's real rug come together ...For me, the "issue" seems to be the drapes - go figure.
G'night for now!
2 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 8:24PM
carlyabbey
I really like the chairs darker.!
2 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 8:26PM
lessismoore
Congrats on the new puppy! I think your right on the darker chairs too.
1 Like   November 1, 2012 at 8:27PM
PRO
MUMMEINTERIORS
I just finished reading all of the other post and your dilemma and have looked at the two photos you have posted. I think the easiest solution for this room is to paint the walls all the SAME color. I would go with a darker brown or mocha on the walls. ( TRY SAMPLES FIRST) I am attaching one to give you an idea however it is hard to determine exact color without seeing your room and fabrics in person. Use this as an example. I think darker walls would anchor the room down and start tying everything together. DO NOT leave your ceilings white! The wall colors you currently have are really throwing the furniture in the rug off, easy fix! I do like the pattern of the chairs with the rug nothing wrong print! Your light fixtures are not strong enough you need a bolder chandelier with the scale of your table. Also, don't forget lamps for you buffet if you have outlets on that wall. Lose that small plant in the right corner of your room by windows and ACCESSORIZE, ACCESSORIZE, ACCESSORIZE. You have 22 days till Thanksgiving. For more design inspiration visit my blog: http://mummeinteriors.wordpress.com
0 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 9:02PM
groveraxle
I too have followed this discussion and believe the solution has arrived. Time to slow down, take a breath, and bond with the new member of the family. That puppy is going to lower your blood pressure, help you appreciate what you have, and provide an excuse to replace what you don't like after he chews and pees on it.

And there is no better focal point for Thanksgiving than a puppy. Your guests won't even notice your decor. Your husband is one wise man!
7 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 9:27PM
Linda Anthony
Agree with MUMMEINTERIORS ideas. ALSO, Lower the chandlers for more impact. Coordinate with buffet lamps. Not sure what color to paint the ceiling, but def get rid of the two-toned walls. I think that would tie in the draperies as well, instead of them 'standing along' on that wall.

.After you accessorize, then your table won't look like a conference table. If you leave the legs of the chairs black, then add some additional black accessories - mirror w/black frame, over fireplace. The fireplace has black already. With the room painted as suggested above, they won't stand out as much...

JUST noticed the room is off balance - rug and table need centered in the room - this may mean moving your chandelier lights too, SO, a chance to patch and add an impressive, BIGGER chandelier! Also, the lights aren't centered over the table NOW??, is that why it is pushed to one side and they STILL aren't over the table?

One last suggestion, move two of the chairs away from the table. Once you get table/rug centered, perhaps one on each side of the fireplace OR at the end of the room, one on each side of the door. That way the table won't look so big and long.

Everything will blend nicely with the walls painted and will warm and ground the entire room!
0 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 9:47PM
janishill
Awww, how sweet; a new family member. Be sure to post pictures of your new baby! :-) Start crate training immediately so the little one won't be underfoot while you are decorating or while you have guests Thanksgiving. The crate becomes a santuary for pups.

Today...you should just take a break. Read all the posts. Toss out those ideas you hate, jot down the ones you like. Mull them all over a day or so then slowly start making the changes. It will all come together in time to enjoy the holiday. :-)
1 Like   November 2, 2012 at 6:39AM
pcmom1
A couple of things you could do to get thru the holidays: either purchase chair slipcovers from Pottery Barn, or go to the fabric store and buy some nice homespun type material to make a large tablecloth. Make the tablecloth wide enough to touch the seat of the chairs. That will hide them for the most part.

Then decorate the dining room for "wow!". Check out Houzz for table decor and go over the top. Get a great mirror for over the fireplace. Dress the buffet with oversized glass containers filled with nuts, fall leaves, candles. Set out large baskets on the floor and fill with branches. No one will even notice the chairs.
1 Like   November 2, 2012 at 4:57PM
PRO
the essentials inside
Carly - Congrats on the new puppy! That's so exciting.

lessismoore - thanks so much for the photoshop. It is such a great help. I thought I would like a plainer rug but I do like the real rug better.

I agree w/Janis - start crate training right away. That will give your pup a nice safe place to relax during all the holiday hub-bub.

I agree w/groveraxle too (and love the Doggles!)

I like the chairs the darker color too. Did you hear anything from your designer?

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
1 Like   November 2, 2012 at 8:22PM
laika123
Sorry....really don't like the chairs...liked the Pottery Barn ones better...Solid colored covers would be the best idea at his point, I think. I feel your pain....I have ADD and am trying to get my dining room ready for Thanksgiving too. Having antique chairs reupholstered....
am hoping they will look OK...have cat that lives in the dining room...lol...Good Luck!
0 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 11:57PM
greenthumb2
This is probably going to sound weird but I see those legs in metallic gold or copper. Is that feasibile. You can find some colored foil wrap and buy a roll or two to experiment before spending lots of $$. Or if you know someone who could dabble paint them.

You are on the right track. Do not panic. If your chairs are comfortable, take it easy.

You can bring the metaiic color into any season of the year and make it work.

And that curtain rod could also have metallic look as well to pull room points together. The option of dying the leather is a good one. But, darker shows wear faster. The legs just need some paint. Honest.
1 Like   November 8, 2012 at 12:42AM
greenthumb2
PS. New puppy = new perspective on life. "=)
1 Like   November 8, 2012 at 12:49AM
victorianbungalowranch
I am really surprised that it hasn't really been mentioned but in passing is that leather can be redyed to just about ANY color, especially a darker one, and that is way cheaper than recovering and nicer than resorting to seat covers. If you did, the legs would be less of a problem.

My neighbor dyed a pair of leather wingback chairs from gold to cadet blue and they looked smashing. What a difference! The upholstery complicates things a bit, but I bet a professional could do it.

I love the rich colors and the accent wall--painting it all beige or yellow again would be like everyone else's dining room and this is close to a work of art.
0 Likes   November 8, 2012 at 4:35AM
PRO
the essentials inside
Carly - Hi!! How's the dining room coming along? How's the puppy? Did you get your HF pendants for the kitchen yet?

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 7:41PM
lyrics1967
I feel like the light fixtures are up way too high. I'd love to see them closer to the table. It's almost like they're not really included as part of the design. Looks vacant up so high.
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 8:01PM
lyrics1967
Oh and I think lessismoore rocks and I do like the darker leather as well. That did get it all anchored. Well, almost, if those lights will get lowered some. Please and thank you.
1 Like   November 12, 2012 at 8:04PM
lessismoore
Lyrics1967 - Thanx for the love - makes my day!
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 10:29PM
Sheryll Lyn
Oh heavens, don't spend all that money on new leather covers for those chairs. Just paint the chair legs a neutral to blend in with the rug and patterned chair fabric. The dark chair legs is what bothers me. Please don't spend a lot more money on them, they look great, just those dark legs.
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 2:23AM
Sheryll Lyn
Also, don't go too drastically in the reverse (very light), maybe the color of the seats, but something that will flow with the fabric and rug.
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 2:27AM
pcmom1
Yes, looking again at your chairs, I agree with many that painting the legs would work wonders. A neutral would work, but really intrigued with Greenthumb's suggestion of a copper. I have little patience, and would be wanting to try those out right now. I would even be combing my bathroom for some metallic nail polish.

Why not make this a fun thing: do a few chairs with some different leg treatments. Then have your guests vote on their favorites? Be a never before seen Thanksgiving first!
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 7:59AM
pcmom1
Yes, looking again at your chairs, I agree with many that painting the legs would work wonders. A neutral would work, but really intrigued with Greenthumb's suggestion of a copper. I have little patience, and would be wanting to try those out right now. I would even be combing my bathroom for some metallic nail polish.

Why not make this a fun thing: do a few chairs with some different leg treatments. Then have your guests vote on their favorites? Be a never before seen Thanksgiving first!
0 Likes   November 13, 2012 at 7:59AM
decoenthusiaste
I think copper will draw more attention to them, but it might work. There are some hammered finishes out there you might try. I'm in agreement with those who suggest lowering the pendants.
36" is the maximum height "rule" unless someone in the family is so tall that that height falls below their sight line when standing up.
1 Like   November 13, 2012 at 8:29AM
laika123
Did I miss something? Did carlyabbey finish this project or give up?Three days til Thanksgiving....
Maybe they decided to pass and eat out?
0 Likes   November 19, 2012 at 1:17AM
carlyabbey
Hello!! No you haven't missed anything and yes I am still hosting! A huge crowd. We have been working hard over here. Between the kitchen, the dinning room, two kids and a puppy, I have been running around like a mad woman.. Here are the changes.. Earlier in the thread.. aggledesigns mentioned a pumpkin pie color for one of the walls... I decided to go for it and repaint the fireplace wall a gorgeous color called BM Masada.. LOVE IT. The other walls were all painted a BM Wilmington tan. I think it makes everything better including the chairs and the curtains. The buffet has been completed and now has a high grade grass cloth and sconces. All in all... I need some accessories and a fabulous centerpiece, but I think I am ready for thanksgiving... Many have suggestions lowering the lights, but they are 36 inches from the table and at my husbands eyesight... maybe its the angle of the pics I am taking, but in person, I am ok with the pendants.
8 Likes   November 19, 2012 at 4:48AM
carlyabbey
I LOVE these oil paintings and the colors are beautiful, but not sure if I can spacially make them work.
0 Likes   November 19, 2012 at 5:07AM
decoenthusiaste
Would they pair up above the FP?
0 Likes   November 19, 2012 at 5:30AM
Linda Anthony
Wow, that new wall color tied it all together! Really looks great. Even the chair legs look fine as have some black on the fireplace screen and the art on that wall. Perhaps just use one of those pics on the larger wall and something smaller on the smaller wall. They are pretty pics. OR, Try this - on the larger wall, hang them both, one on top of the other, straight up and down . Your drapes go to the ceiling so it would compliment the color and the height! If you do that, leave the smaller wall bare as you have a nice plant there. Am so happy it all came together for you!
0 Likes   November 19, 2012 at 5:45AM
Linda Anthony
I like the art piece over the FP... :) It adds some black, some depth, and quite a bit of interest.
0 Likes   November 19, 2012 at 5:48AM
pcmom1
Love the changes! The new wall colors makes everything work! Even the chairs!

Great piece you selected for over the fireplace.

As far as the two paintings, I don't think one on each side of the window is working. It looks too crowded. However, think if you put both together vertically, to the left side of the window (wall is wider on that side) they would look great. Be sure to center them with same amount of space at each side (the one hanging there now seems slightly to the left).

Amazing centerpiece for the table would be a very long antique wooden bowl (like they use to mix dough in), filled with a harvest bounty.

Have a wonderful time Thanksgiving!
1 Like   November 19, 2012 at 8:38AM
carlyabbey
oooh PCmom1 where can I find one of those? I was thinking maybe something with height, but that sounds interesting
0 Likes   November 19, 2012 at 9:04AM
bamamom
WOW!!!!!!! Carly....the room looks AWESOME!!!! I love the color on the fireplace, I really liked the blue and was one of the ones saying no don't change it, but it really works! Just tied everything together beautifully!
Definitely put the two paintings "stacked" effect to the left of the drapes. Nothing on right side. Will look awesome...like the rest of the room!
I am so loving those sconces over the buffet. That is truly a transformation right there.
I'm so happy it has worked out for you.
Enjoy your family, the puppy and your new spaces. You deserve to sit back with a nice glass of wine and just soak it all in! You have done a wonderful job!
Happy Thanksgiving!

PS I like PCmom's idea of the very long dough bowls filled with fall harvest items. You could do a floral arrangement on the buffet of fall flowers, something long under the artwork.
1 Like   November 19, 2012 at 9:10AM
pcmom1
Mine (3 1/2 ft by 18 ") I found at an antique shop. Paid $125 which I think was a great price. Nice to have something done by hand, a little history, and it will only go up in value (hope!). At least I tell my husband that!

So, start calling around. With a little searching you will find one.
0 Likes   November 19, 2012 at 9:13AM
carlyabbey
HI banamom! these are the sconces. closer up. The shades are from Ballard. and when the light is on the light peeks through the shade Thank you!

I will definitely try the pics vertically..It is a horizontal design so up and down might not work, BUT I will give it a shot. Thank you! and of course here is a pic of my new puppy.!
4 Likes   November 19, 2012 at 9:22AM
bamamom
Love the sconces!

BUT....that puppy is the cutest little guy ever! Love chocolate Labs! Our girl is half yellow lab! Oh could just eat him up! Enjoy! :-)
0 Likes   November 19, 2012 at 9:34AM
carlyabbey
It's a she! Her name is Rosie! And Oh boy!,,, I feel like I have a newborn!, But she has brought so much joy to our family.
1 Like   November 19, 2012 at 9:42AM
lessismoore
Looks beautiful - what a ton of work you've put in. And the puppy ... she is the cherry on the sundae! Please post another photo when you can, same angle as your first ones, so we can see a side by side transformation with whatever centerpiece you choose. I hope you have a wonderful Holiday. Looks like a beautiful setting for one!
0 Likes   November 19, 2012 at 10:04AM
bamamom
Sorry Rosei! :-) Yes, puppies and newborns are very similar.
0 Likes   November 19, 2012 at 10:12AM
janishill
It looks so good, but I have to agree about the paintings to the right. That area is too crowded. I don't think the will stack very well either. I suggest you leave the one where it is and put the plant under it. Return the other or use it elsewhere.

Rosie is a doll. Labs are terrific dogs and sooo good with children. It won't be long before she is a toddler! ;-)
0 Likes   November 19, 2012 at 11:34AM
PRO
Joanne Jakab Interior Design
Red/brown makes blue stand out. Blue makes red/brown stand out. I feel your best design option at this time will be to nix all the blue paint and any additional blue. I love the pattern on pattern - yours is a sophisticated mix and can feel very relaxing when done as an overall monochromatic design scheme.
I feel a painting most of the room with a shade selection such as Benjamin Moore AF-140 Pensive or Kangaroo AF-145 in a matte finish would give the balance of calm. I would then opt to paint the alcove on the lieft hand side of the room AF-355 Etruscan. This will balance the draperies with the chairs with the rug and give you harmony.
0 Likes   November 19, 2012 at 11:59AM
PRO
the essentials inside
Great advice from everyone! And Rosie is adorable! Agree - puppies / doggies are just like children - absolutely wonderful children (I have 2 - both 12)! Good luck w/her. If you need anything for her, let me know or visit our other store, www.letsbepets.com

Looking forward to your updated pics w/the suggested changes.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
1 Like   November 19, 2012 at 5:21PM
carlyabbey
Lyvonne! I have missed you! Thanks. My kitchen is painted as well and pendants are up! Hooray
Happy thanksgiving and I will definitely be checking out your site.
1 Like   November 19, 2012 at 5:25PM
laika123
You have "come a long way, baby!" The room looks great! Glad you are ready for Thanksgiving!
You HAVE been a busy bee! Post a picture of your table set on Thanksgiving! Enjoy the day with your friends, family and Rosie!
0 Likes   November 19, 2012 at 5:40PM
PRO
the essentials inside
Hi Carly! So sweet of you to say you missed me. :) I missed you too - I was picturing your behind the scenes chaos while you were away from Houzz. :) Can't wait to see the kitchen - that must mean you love the HF pendants. That's so great! I'm very happy for you that everything is coming together.

If you happen to take a pic of "holiday pic" of Rosie - post it here or send it on over to me via email at contact@essentialsinside. I'm going to be doing a special holiday pets feature with as many cutie pie holiday pets as I can find!

Talk to you soon!

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
1 Like   November 19, 2012 at 5:52PM
pcmom1
Nothing about design here, just remembered when I hosted a big Thanksgiving as a newlywed. I let our dog eat some of the Turkey pan drippings. In the middle of dinner, said mutt, threw it all up under the table. One holiday never forgotten.
1 Like   November 19, 2012 at 8:42PM
apennameandthata
If the decorator was so wonderful...
0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 5:12AM
PRO
the essentials inside
Carly - Like pcmom1, nothing about design here :)...just a Q -- Can I use Rosie's picture (the one you posted above) to use for my Wordless Wednesday (cute pics only, no words!) blog post? It's a blog hop I do w/about 100+ pet bloggers.

Thanks Carly!

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
www.letsbepets.com
0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 5:12PM
carlyabbey
Of course!! I have some other very cute pics, but mostly with my two girls... "Carly and Abbey!" (trying to get that holiday card ready) lol

Thanks Lyvonne
Heidi (that's me) :-)
0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 5:28PM
PRO
the essentials inside
LOL - carlyabbey! Sorry about that. Nice to meet you Heidi. :) Awesome name.

I'll send you the link tomorrow when the pic is up! Thanks so much!

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
www.letsbepets.com
0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 5:48PM
PRO
the essentials inside
Sorry all, another non-design related comment.

Heidi: Here is the link! http://letsbepets.blogspot.com/2012/11/wordless-wednesday-blog-hop_21.html

Thanks again for letting me use Rosie's pic!!

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
www.letsbepets.com
0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 9:18PM
selawela
Your room looks beautiful!! Love the transformation! Love the Puppy! And I'm partial to labs too! ;D
0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 10:50PM
paul333
I'm sure you love the rug but I would try lay a light grey / washed out white rug under the table; this will lift the shadows under the table - reducing the contrast between the dark legs, shadows and the seat base.
If your still fixing the issue of course. Good luck!
0 Likes   November 21, 2012 at 1:16AM
PRO
Joanne Jakab Interior Design
Happy Thanksgiving! Your home has transformed and it is so inviting with the changes you made. Thanks for sharing the After.
0 Likes   November 22, 2012 at 11:35AM
nasmijati
Your After photos are beautiful! Happy Thanksgiving!
0 Likes   November 22, 2012 at 11:46AM
PRO
the essentials inside
Hi Heidi (& Carly, Abbey, Rosie!)

How's the house? Did you make it through Thanksgiving? :)

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
1 Like   December 11, 2012 at 5:46PM
feebie
I think trying to pull out the colors from the top of chair fabric to walls is ...ugh...too much. the chairs aren't bad and you've already spent the money. The table is great and the legs balance that wood out. But, to be honest, the rug n curtains I do not like. The wall colors have to go. you need to brighten it up. maybe a neutral solid color on the walls with let the patterns of the rug, chairs and curtains balance out ...if it were me, I would paint the walls with a creamy buttery tan. you might be surprised how all things will go together great. I think I am a little late on this..my 1st time..i will look further to see what you did
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 8:05AM
feebie
I was too late but I love what you did ...this is great ...
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 8:14AM
More Discussions
To bring the outdoor in at platio but keep mosquito out.
how do I enclose my patio with mosquito screen bur...
**Dining area Dilemma**
Two birds, one stone hopefully. First, lots of empty...
heloooo
heloo i need help fr my kitchen
Need know whether selected range hood can be installed in our kitchen.
We want to purchase the 30" AKDY 198KN stainless steel...
Hello houzer and profs
Hello Please advise me I want to put curtains something...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.