Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with my kitchen backsplash!
arielles
November 2, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I have been putting this off for the while but my contractor is ready for the backsplash NOW and I really dont know what to select. The cabinets are Adele white from IKEA (which is really an off-white), as you can see the granite has whites/greys/purples and our floors are a greyish woodgrain porcelin......I am thinking white subway tile but not sure! Any ideas out there?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
The granite is beautiful and has a lot of movement. I would go with the white subway tile and keep it simnple.
November 2, 2012 at 7:21AM   
charleee
I agree with Deborah regarding the subway tiles, but if your granite is off-white you might want to compare a sample of the white and the off-white to see which one is more compatible.
November 2, 2012 at 7:24AM     
arielles
Thank you both! Of these four, which do you like most?
November 2, 2012 at 7:28AM   
charleee
The flatter the tile and the tighter the grout lines, the easier to clean and keep clean. How's that for politically correct?
November 2, 2012 at 7:32AM     
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
We have installed a couple of the white/off-white subway backspashes in the beveled edge and I personally love them. They create interest. Your top right looks like the ones we have used - and we match the grout to the tile instead of something that stands out.
November 2, 2012 at 7:36AM   
PRO
Stoneshop
It is very difficult to match up colors on the computer because of monitor settings, etc. My vote would be for a beveled subway tile, with tight grout lines (as Bobbi suggested), and choose a grout color as close to the tile as you can. You want the tile to be the star, NOT the grout lines. Definately go to your local tile shop with a sample of your granite to choose the correct color white for your tile. It will look phenomenal!
November 2, 2012 at 7:38AM     
PRO
Trends in Tile
My vote is for the beveled subway. Beautiful & classic look that will not compete, but will add visual interest!
November 2, 2012 at 7:53AM   
PRO
Lotus Construction Group
I vote for the beveled Subway as well. The shadows that are created from the bevel will be nice in your kitchen.Make sure to use an epoxy or urethane based grout for stain resistance.
November 2, 2012 at 8:02AM   
Natalie
I do favor the beveled, but from what I can see in the pic, it looks like there is quite a difference in your whites... Be careful what you choose. Pic for color combo... Good Luck! [houzz=
]
November 2, 2012 at 8:18AM   
PRO
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
Whites can be tricky - make sure you choose the color that works with your cabinets AND your granite!
November 2, 2012 at 8:23AM     
PRO
DaVinci Floors & Granite
All good advice. Yes you will need to check your whites. If you need to, you could go with a very soft gray subway tile as well. You are on the right track, good luck!
November 2, 2012 at 11:22AM     
Aggie Purvinska
Yup, that's him calling your cell!

Normally I like white subway, but I think stainless or gray would work great here!
November 2, 2012 at 11:37AM   
arielles
I am at Ann Saks - what about this one? Not beveled but white with grey edges which complement the granite.
November 2, 2012 at 1:03PM     
PRO
Lotus Construction Group
Did it feel right? Looks like you found a winner!
November 2, 2012 at 5:37PM   
PRO
Stoneshop
That tile does look nice--very modern. Did you get it?
November 3, 2012 at 6:02AM   
arielles
I need to decide today, I think I'm going with it. Now the questions is 3x6 or 2x4 the stacked or offset? I'm leaning towards 3x6 stacked..more modern? Here is a kitchen update pic.
November 3, 2012 at 7:58AM   
foodiest
What about a solid stainless steel backsplash. Would coordinate well with the stone. Check out the link! I think it would work well because it's a small area!
http://www.quickshipmetals.com/304-stainless-steel/kitchen-backsplash-stainless-steel.html
November 3, 2012 at 8:04AM   
PRO
Stoneshop
3" x 6" stacked is definately the more modern choice. So, if you want a very modern space, go with that design. If you want to make it a little bit more traditional, then choose the brick pattern.
November 3, 2012 at 8:08AM   
Natalie
I think the tile with the gray edge would look fine with the marble---the warm white of the cabs is my concern... Really do like the tile though. :)
November 3, 2012 at 9:21AM     
PRO
Toni Sabatino
I agree with Natalie. have you put the tiles against the cabinetry? Best to get a sample and bring it home.
November 3, 2012 at 9:50AM