Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with bedroom makeover
aword
November 2, 2012 in Design Dilemma
When updating a bedroom where is a good starting place. Paint? Furniture? Fabrics? I played it too safe and really want to brighten up master bedroom. The furnture is a set and dark and kind of large for the space. I though maybe starting with a non matching headboard and night tables than bedding them pulling the colors from that.
Is there any basic rules on where to start?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Aggie Purvinska
That sounds like a great idea! Are the walls dark as well? If the walls are already dark, a light linen headboard would be a good start. If you are up for changing the wall color, go with a soothing beige, tan, blue or gray, or even as light as Swiss Coffee from Benjamin Moore.

Get a light rug, Light Bedding a and a tan upholstered headboard, new lamps.

If you posted pictures, it would be much easier to help, too!
November 2, 2012 at 9:58am     
Bethy McCune
I always find something that inspires me! For instance with my daughters room, I found a fabric that I was in love with and made curtains, pillows with corresponding designs and picked other pieces after I had my inspiration. It can be anything, a lamp, rug, fabric or a paint color you love! Hope this helps!
November 2, 2012 at 1:53pm     
aword
Thanks for posting sorry I misplaced camera and just getting back.
These picture show the room but not true color. It a drap greenish color with a light butter yellow on two walls and bright white ceiling. Rugs same drab green. The house was built in 08 so newer carpet and it was expensive so don't really want to tear it out. Trim fir and furniture has a cherry hue to it. Bright chrome knobs and the light on either side of bed are funky but want direct lighting so it does not disturb other person at night if one reads.
Not much decoration or fabrics accents. Like the linen headboard idea and lighter walls. I bought this set at Macy and when it was delivered I realized how small master was.

Room nice but it seems like it needs personality.
November 21, 2012 at 11:39am   
aword
also note how little wall space there is. I barley could get a bed and two nightstands
November 21, 2012 at 11:43am   
Aggie Purvinska
The furniture is a little on the big side, but I am sure it cost a lot of money and it is probably good quality, definitely keep it, and the carpet is nice. Interesting trim, if you are not afraid of color, I would introduce a darker khaki for the walls, white linen curtains, the bedding color is good, you could add a new Duvet Color and Shams, maybe with Paisley or Simple Solid Color or Stripe in Khaki or Orange Red.., something with paisley pattern...a new lamp on the dresser.

Maybe those night stands are too bulky get something really small and skinny, trays really, definitely need new sconces, ideally spread out to the sides more and lowered, and two equal art pieces above bed.

You also could fit a reading chair with a lamp in the alcove..

[houzz=Metal Accordion Side Table]

[houzz=Cliffside Gray]

[houzz=Pastorius Sconce]

[houzz=Owl Table Lamp, Gunmetal/Natural]

[houzz=Crimson Paisley Chair]

[houzz=Custom Two-Toned Banded Knife Pleated Drapery Panel]

[houzz=Mosaic Tile Duvet Cover + Shams]

[houzz=Vintage Floor Lamp]
November 21, 2012 at 12:28pm     
aword
Nice colors . This would liven up the rooms. I had a white slip cover chair in the alcove but it was part of a dining table we sold.. Looking at my photos the furniture is pretty big and heavy. I thought about moving this set into one of the other rooms and finding some pieces that would be less overwhelming in the room. I like the linen headboard idea a lot and go with a wall color with more punch. Like your idea of bold accent color. I'll get a sample of this paint and see how it looks in the light.
Thanks for your ideas.
November 21, 2012 at 10:39pm     
aword
Changed my headboard in a linen myself. Also bought a new bedding Vintage by Bar III . Any additional ideas welcome. I am working on it slow. . I know the picture over bed should be longer. I had bought silver squares but then ended up in the family room. So this one was for another spot but like the colors. Frames silver. Paint color I leaning on the greyish or pebble. Looking for new nightstands and lights. Want something that pops.
January 14, 2013 at 7:08pm   
aword
here a few more pic of bed.
January 14, 2013 at 7:15pm     
orangecamera
Wow, nice transformation! Did you reupholster the original headboard? Such a nice difference. It really lightens the whole room. And I love your new bedding too.
January 14, 2013 at 7:17pm     
Ramona
Would you consider placing the bed under the big window? I think your flow would be much better. It is squeezed in where it is. The room is begging for a bed under the window. Lots of people don't like that arrangement, but I do under certain circumstances. You would have to get different reading lamps.
January 14, 2013 at 7:25pm   
aword
Wouldn't it block the window? Your right with flow. You it looks better when you walk into the room looking at the bed. But I lose the night stands.
But I think it should go there too.

I did do the bed. I wanted the Erin fabric used on the Colletta bed at Crate and Barrel I found this exact match.
January 14, 2013 at 7:33pm