Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need Help Choosing type of window treatments
cbivins
November 2, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We have a two story family room that has a wall of windows. I need help choosing the best type of window treatments. We have more of a modern/contemporary style and don't want complete darkness in the space. I am considering some type of roller shade-- is this sufficient? eventually I would like curtains as well, but the main issue is to keep the sun from fading flooring and furniture (once house is completed).
Picture is attached--the windows to left are near dining area. should the window treatments there be consistent w/ones in family room? Input appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
Fabric romans that raise and lower by remote control will help deaden any echo you might get is such a volume of space.
November 2, 2012 at 2:31PM     
ideahuntress
Hi

I have seen a similar type window configuration on an interior design show and what they went with were remote control full length roller blinds so that there was no issue with either reaching the blinds to pull or how high or low the sun was in the sky . They looked very contempory and modern. As for having co-ordinating blinds for the dinning room I would go with the same and if you wanted to soften the look you could do a fabric valance or curtains . It is an amazing space and I hope you have much luck in your new family home .
November 2, 2012 at 2:45PM   
chaski
Lots of windows! I hope you installed low E glass so's to help keep out ultraviolet rays and solar heat in the summer and keep heat in during winter nights. Is this house located in a temperate climate and what direction do these windows face?
My 2ยข worth: Since you like a contemporary style house with large expanses of glass that let in light, I'd suggest minimal yet effective and contemporary window treatment. Why build a wall of windows just to compromise their geometry and openness with by closing them off with flowing cloth or darkening blinds?
For privacy at night and to control direct sunlight and to keep out its heat, I'd suggest installing translucent, cordless, cellular honeycomb blinds in alabaster or ivory. They must come with remote controls.They tuck away neatly and unobtrusively when not in use. They'd let in light when down--which roman shades and blinds would keep out, darkening the interior.
I've seen roller blinds that are made of transparent yet darkened (like car windows) material that cut the sun's glare and that also provide privacy cuz one can't see in from the outside. I don't know if this works at night too when lights are lit inside.....They come with ultraviolet rays protection too....
Do the same for the other wall of windows....keep the look clean and uncluttered.
Good luck!
November 2, 2012 at 3:59PM   
cbivins
Thank you all for the great feedback! Taking away lots of great ideas!!
November 3, 2012 at 9:17PM   
PRO
Elizabeth Shutters
I would suggest roller shades in a solar material. They come in different opacities which you should evaluate and select based on your privacy and view requirements. I would motorize them certainly on the upper windows and also on the lowers if it's in your budget. A solar in a 14% weave (meaning it will allow 14% of UV light through) is typically the most sheer and will provide a clear view. And one thing to remember is that if you are comparing, say, a 5% weave in a dark color and a 5% weave in a light color, the light color will provide more privacy and a slightly more obscure view. Even though they have the same opacity level the darker material will provide a clearer view through. It's counter-intuitive but true. Enjoy your new home!
November 30, 2012 at 9:06PM   
cbivins
Thanks for your input! Especially the info about the light and dark color materials. THis is great. We just moved into our home and the windows remain bare...WHich i don't mind for the time being - but then again we don't have neighbors- yet.
December 2, 2012 at 9:53PM   
December 2, 2012 at 10:01PM   
PRO
Budget Blinds
Perhaps some shutters...in white or espresso (love espresso) and on the upper windows use faux iron.
December 6, 2012 at 11:03PM   
decoenthusiaste
I love cordless but from experience, would suggest you purchase one extra in case of a mechanism failure which can't be repaired. With the upper windows, either cover them with something stationary or do remots control. With so many tall windows, I'd probably want remotes.
December 7, 2012 at 5:00AM   
PRO
Dytecture
Yes, roman shades would add some warmth the the wall of windows.

December 7, 2012 at 6:30AM   
PRO
Residential Systems, Inc.
I would look a Lutron solar shades if you haven't already done so. They come in all sorts of fabrics and look amazing. They also have a really quiet motor which may not seem like a lot but can make a huge difference with a large number of windows. You definitely want remote control, too.

Feel free to call me or visit our web site (www.ResidentialSystemsInc.com) if you want to chat.

Happy Holidays!
December 19, 2012 at 8:41PM   
PRO
Shades IN Place
Some great suggestions above. If you also need insulation for the winter months, solar / screen shades are NOT your best option. If you chose shades up/down - remote control is a MUST. I have attached a picture of a home I did with only sheers.
December 20, 2012 at 2:28AM