powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with any ideas about tv placement.
golfer123
November 2, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Any ideas for my tv should we put it over the fireplace? Then I have the spot that the tv is in now to deal with.
Thanks
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
golfer123
Need suggestion as to whether or not we should put out a tv (larger) over the fireplace?
November 2, 2012 at 8:37pm     
mockingbirdsong1
Mount TV above fireplace and put a large silk fern in the opening where the TV is now to add texture and some green. Eliminate some of the smaller decor and opt for just a few larger items. Your tall candle sticks work well there.
November 2, 2012 at 9:37pm   
annoulaxeni
I fail to understand this fad of putting TV's over fireplaces! Nine times out of ten it results in a viewing height which is too high (it should be eye level when you are seated, not require you to crane your neck upward). As well, fireplaces are focal points and the rule of having only one focal point for any given view would seem to apply here.

What other walls do you have in this space? Can't the TV go on one of them?

As for where the TV is now, obviously it's intended for logs -- do you not bring firewood in the house? If not, put a plant there or even add shelves or a cabinet to the space.
November 3, 2012 at 12:06am     
charleee
I agree with mockingbirdsong1, mount the tv above the fireplace. If you can, have a cabinet with doors built to house it and angle it down slightly for better viewing.
November 3, 2012 at 2:55am   
creeser
Just sit and look at the print you have over the fireplace. Is it uncomfortable to look at it sitting for more than a few minutes? If so, then I wouldn't put the tv over the fireplace.
November 3, 2012 at 4:32am     
Kim D
It looks like a ledge is there so it would be easy to place tv there for a few days and see how it works. As for the opening that houzzed the tv I would stack white bark wood in there from top to bottom.
November 3, 2012 at 5:27am     
inkwitch
That mantel looks too high and too deep for comfortable TV viewing, no matter the size. Choose another location. Even if you don't use logs in your FP, logs in the niche will look authentic. Simplify the stuff on the mantle. Search houzz for mantels you like and duplicate.
November 3, 2012 at 5:44am   
charleee
creeser has good advice for you, why not try it and see?
November 3, 2012 at 6:05am   
windingcreek_creations
I personally think a fire and the TV should be separate viewing areas. The fire goes well with music, a good book and a glass of wine. That space where your TV resides is meant for stacked firewood. Isn't there another wall or another room that will accomodate primetime television?
November 3, 2012 at 6:12am   
PRO
Blondiesloft&Co
Hi, I personally like the idea of the TV over the fireplace. However the scale needs to be much larger. This will compensate for the height. I would suggest doing something unique in the cove painting or wallpapering, could add some WOW, to this vignette. If you decide to go with relocating your TV, I would consider removing most items on the front mantle , and moving them to the right of your newly defined cove. If you are feeling creative, you could paint the front facade, and do a contrasting color on your mantle......
November 3, 2012 at 6:26am   
golfer123
Thank you for all your input, I will be working on all the suggestions.
Thank you
November 3, 2012 at 8:42pm