Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
OLLD 11/3
charleee
November 3, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Good Saturday AM ladies! Remember we must be 50+ y/o to participate!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
charleee
michigammemom, I'm not sure, I just thought I'd throw that in there. Everyone wants a piece of us!!! hehehe How are you today? Is it snowing???
0 Likes   November 3, 2012 at 6:38AM
creeser
Good morning, good morning! michigammemom, is it snowing? If so, I'm envious beyond words. Snow here is phenomenon and we all act like a bunch of kids if we get it.
0 Likes   November 3, 2012 at 7:50AM
nasmijati
Hi all, It is a beautiful, sunny, cool day here in NM.
Still trying to learn how to attach pics to discussions directly from Houzz instead of going through my own photo section on my iPad. Here are a few of my favorites:
0 Likes   November 3, 2012 at 9:00AM
janishill
Afternooon all! The sun is shining and all is right with the world in my neck of the woods.
0 Likes   November 3, 2012 at 9:19AM
nasmijati
Re: trying to post a photo. The only way I can find the "embed" selection is if I go to Houzz from Safari on my iPad. When I click on "embed," none of the options will open. I click on the + sign and nothing happens. It looks like what others include in their discussions, strings of letters and number code. I just can not get the box to do anything but turn gray, as if it might lead somewhere, but it doesn't.

If I use my Houzz App on the iPad to get to Houzz, the only options are to add to Ideabook, e-mail, twitter, Facebook and an icon with a lower case "g." There are no options that I can find for attaching a photo to a discussion. The Houzz photo section crashes very often lately. Frustrating.

If I go to my Ideabook, I can get a photo ready to "move" but only to an already established Ideabook. I can not move a photo to a discussion that way.

I am only able to attach photos to a discussion from the "photos" icon on the iPad, and then, none of the good Houzz info comes with it, just the image. I cannot attach a photo to a discussion if I try to reply to the discussion from a reply sent to me by e-mail. I can only do it from the Houzz site.

When I click on attach images, just below a discussion box, it tells me to "choose file." When I click there, it says "copy" or "JavaScript."

Either I am omitting part of the sequence, or the iPad does not work for this?
0 Likes   November 3, 2012 at 12:23PM
judianna20
Cape Cod is beautiful but a little chilly.
Typical Saturday for me, errands, read all the open house ads (just in case) and tonight I am going to try out a new recipe that I got out of this month's REAL SIMPLE. Just kind of putsing along and not very motivated.
0 Likes   November 3, 2012 at 12:23PM
feeny
tipi --I think I remember someone else saying the iPad app doesn't work for this. I don't use one, so I'm not speaking from experience. But I don't think it's you.
0 Likes   November 3, 2012 at 12:30PM
nasmijati
I e-mailed the info to myself, copied it, and pasted it in this box. Does it work? Can you see the photo if you click on it?

Take a look at this great space that I found on www.houzz.com, and let me know what you think. Swimming pool reminds me of a moat.
Trying to get this to attach to OLLD 11-3-2012.

0 Likes   November 3, 2012 at 12:33PM
feeny
Success!
0 Likes   November 3, 2012 at 12:37PM
nasmijati
michigammemom, nope. Doesn't work like that on the iPad. At least I know I can post photos, even if there are a lot of steps involved. I am going to have to write all this down in ink on paper so I can remember!
0 Likes   November 3, 2012 at 12:44PM
nasmijati
I'm going to try again, just to see if I can do it twice in a row!
0 Likes   November 3, 2012 at 12:48PM
nasmijati
Check out this photo from houzz.com. It looks like someone played paintball on a music staff!
0 Likes   November 3, 2012 at 12:51PM
nasmijati
Check out this photo from houzz.com.

Last post sent through e-mail.
This one sent through Houzz icon on iPad.
0 Likes   November 3, 2012 at 12:53PM
feeny
Nope, not coming through this time.
0 Likes   November 3, 2012 at 12:54PM
nasmijati
Check out this photo from houzz.com
0 Likes   November 3, 2012 at 1:01PM
nasmijati
This is my last try for today.

I was trying to attach only the first photo from this Ideabook, accessed directly from the Houzz App.

Check out this ideabook from houzz.com

The photo of the elephant drinking out of the hot tub is from my personal library space.

Thank you all for being patient while I tried to learn how to attach photos today!
0 Likes   November 3, 2012 at 1:38PM
charleee
tipi, I'm proud of you for not giving up! Good job! And I like you moat and your elephant, too.
0 Likes   November 3, 2012 at 2:25PM
charleee
janishill, where is your neck of the woods? I'm thinking you're on the East Coast?
0 Likes   November 3, 2012 at 2:34PM
janishill
Bobbi...I am about 10 miles west southwest of Boston. It was a beautiful day; about 52 degrees and sunshine.
0 Likes   November 3, 2012 at 4:05PM
charleee
Oh, ok! I'm in NorCal, and we're having another heat wave, 82 degrees right now. It should be illegal!
1 Like   November 3, 2012 at 4:21PM
judianna20
janishill and judyg are about an hour + 15 away from each other.
1 Like   November 3, 2012 at 4:24PM
charleee
Small world, huh?
0 Likes   November 3, 2012 at 4:25PM
judianna20
Yep…wish you were here.
0 Likes   November 3, 2012 at 4:31PM
charleee
Me too! It's too hot here. But rain is expected at the end of the week so I'm holding my breath for that one.

Question? When do I start to get my energy back? I feel so droopy! I hope it's just from the tooth pull.
0 Likes   November 3, 2012 at 4:33PM
judianna20
Bobbi, I have noticed in your messages that you feel down. You've had a lot of angst over that tooth. That's a drain physically and emotionally. It's hot where you are. A New Jersey girl knows the Fall. That alone would make me feel droopy. I love my seasons. Any family near by? How about Raul's mom? Is she scheduled to come soon? Know you love her. Maybe you need a couple of hugs. Sixty is approaching and that is a weird birthday. I kept saying to myself "how did this happen"? Now, in a couple, seventy is approaching ####### for me. In my head I am about 37, but that can't be because my daughter is 42. A good marriage, if fortunate enough to have one, family, and dear friends (not a whole lot as that takes too much effort) are what we need now.

But, don't let this go on too long. xxxooo
0 Likes   November 3, 2012 at 5:02PM
charleee
judyg and gg, thanks so much. I don't mean t be a downer! I will watch my words from now on. I think it's physical, tho, not mental, I just feel physically exhausted (and morally bankrupt? Remember that expression?). I plan to load up on vitamins tonight before bed and I should be right as rain tomorrow. Sorry!

No, Raul's mom is vacationing in Alcapulco, lucky her! She's not comfortable flying any more so I don't know if or when I'll ever see her again. Hey! Are you interested in a recipe for authentic enchiladas? Hint: They are NOT loaded with cheese like American ones are. AND, they have green sauce, not red, so if you're interested let me know, ok?

We did get out today, we went to the San Jose Flea Market. I'm taking antibiotic for THE tooth and I forgot about the delightful stomach side effects so that wasn't successful! I think I'm pushing myself and I should back off.

gg - you still haven't told your hubby about him hiding the paint stirrer??? I would make HIM paint at this point!

Judyg, I think you understand how a New Jersey girl NEEDS the fall! And EXPECTS it too! Rain is expected here Thurs and Fri so I can at least look forward to that!

Ok, sorry about being a downer, I promise to be chipperer tomorrow!

Thanks, and I love you guys!
1 Like   November 3, 2012 at 5:31PM
charleee
Yes, taking amoxicillin. I think another part of my problem is I'm so rarely sick! I don't know how to handle it when I am.

gg, try the bucket idea - where you put all your tools for the current project in a bucket, and tell hubby NOT to touch it til you're done! I don't know how you can handle what he's doing, I'm afraid I'd have to kill him :) Do not mess with my project tools cause I'll be damned if I'm going to go searching for them everyday.

Raul goes in fits and starts. Sometimes he doesn't do enough, sometimes he over does it. Lately he's been overdoing it which makes me feel even more guilty for not being able to keep up. But when I'm healthy I can run circles around him.
0 Likes   November 3, 2012 at 6:02PM
nasmijati
Bobbi, you just had a major insult to your body. Take the meds. Eat some high quality Greek yogurt that does not have any sugar or honey in it (don't want to feed any germs near your tooth hole), because you need the probiotics for your digestion. REST for THREE days. Be sure to sip some kind of sugar free beverage very often to keep your mouth moist. Plain water is best. Get extra sleep. Take naps.
Okay, now I will turn off my "aunt" tipi mode. Thinking of you and wishing you an uncomplicated recovery.
3 Likes   November 3, 2012 at 6:26PM
janishill
BP...hope the drugs do their thing and you are right as rain in another day or two!

Thank you all for allowing me to be a part of your group. I see some familar 'faces' and some new ones.

A little background on me. I am a southern girl (HA! I am far to old to be called a 'girl' but us southerner females never seem to out grow it!) married to a proper Bostonian! I've been in this area for 10-ish years - if you count the time we lived in Belize (2+ yrs.)

I have grown children and 6 grands. They are all in Alabama.

Andrew (the hubs) and I own a dog walking/pet sitting business ~ Pet Assist: http://www.petassist.com/ This is our 'retirement' job and we love it! Forces us to get outside even on the gloomiest of days. Our household consists of the two of us and the two kids: Libby ( a 13 y.o. Chinook) and Robbie-Doobie ( a recently rescued 8 y.o. cat)

My question is; is this a regular Saturday 'get together'? And is the title always the same or similar?

Hope you all have a lovely evening!
1 Like   November 3, 2012 at 6:33PM
charleee
tipi, you''re right, I know you're right, and you are sweet to be concerned about me. I love Greek yogurt! I will surely get some tomorrow, it's better than Pepto Bismol, isn't it!!! I'm sure I'll be fine when I stop feeling tired. Lots of vitamins tonight before bed.

gg, that sounds like a nasty-ass virus. Don't do that again, ok? I had shingles for 4 months, about 3 years ago, thought I was going to die from the pain. That is one truly weird virus.

Well ! the old boy is finally seeing the light, eh? Tell him you want that large stirrer, and you want it now :)

Everyone, don't forget to set your clocks back tonight!!!
1 Like   November 3, 2012 at 6:34PM
charleee
Hi janis! Well you are welcome to join in with us any time, the thread starts new everyday with the current days date. We're certainly happy to have you with us! We don't really get together at any certain day or time, we just add to the thread as we go during the day. Very casual, no requirements except the dang age thing.

Your retirement business sounds like a lot of fun, and a great motivation to get excersize, too. How many dogs do you sit/walk, or does it vary from day to day?
1 Like   November 3, 2012 at 6:38PM
TanCalGal
Bobbi P I am VERY interested in the recipe for " ...authentic enchiladas? Hint: They are NOT loaded with cheese like American ones are. AND, they have green sauce, not red, so if you're interested let me know, ok?"

Hope you're feeling better!

Remember that other recipe that had stove top stuffing and chicken tenders? I've forgotten who posted it. I fixed it without the chicken and served it with a cooked, broiled Costco chicken. Very tasty.
0 Likes   November 3, 2012 at 6:46PM
nasmijati
Hi Janis, yes, every day look in the Other section for OLLD (Old Ladies Love Design) and the day's date.
What an interesting job you have, caring for pets.
Have you read any of Blaize Clement's pet sitter mysteries? Her protagonist is Dixie Hemingway, who lives in Sarasota, Florida.
Lydia Adamson also writes mysteries with protagonist being Alice Nestleton, a professional cat sitter.

You might be able to advise a person who posted a question in the Other section about building an enclosed space for the cats in the back yard. Browse around, you are already a Houzzer!
0 Likes   November 3, 2012 at 7:00PM
charleee
j222b - so easy enchiladas! Simmer a few chicken breasts in broth til done, let cool a little then shred with a fork. Heat some oil in a fry pan, a little hotter than medium heat. In a shallow flat bowl (like a round cake pan) pour your green sauce (even my mother-in-law uses bottled sauce!), you can use La Vittoria or Herdez or any brand, spiced as you like it. You will need tongs and a 13 X 9 cake pan now. Immerse a corn tortilla in the hot oil for about 5 seconds, remove it with the tongs and place it in the green sauce for just a few seconds. Place the now soggy tortilla in your cake pan, fill with chicken, fold in half and start again with a new tortilla, layering the enchiladas not quite on top of each other, about half way. Make sure all the tortillas are well covered with sauce. When your pan is full or you run out of tortillas sprinkle some Cotija cheese on top and you can either bake them covered, for about 15 minutes or just eat them if you're ready. Even my son who hates everything I make ate about a dozen of these!
0 Likes   November 3, 2012 at 7:05PM
charleee
gg - What is an enchilada? I can't imagine how to describe it!!! Never thought of it before, it's just a Mexican main dish with any kind of shredded meat you like (we like chicken for these) in a tortilla and sauce. The American version is LOADED with cheese, so much so you can't taste anything else, but the authentic version has very little cheese and green, not red, sauce.
0 Likes   November 3, 2012 at 7:09PM
charleee
gg - it's not American cheese, it's Mexican cheese! The sauce is as hot as you want it, mild, medium or take the skin off the roof of your mouth.
0 Likes   November 3, 2012 at 7:14PM
charleee
Yes! It's not the day you eat them, it's the next day! Come on ice cream!
0 Likes   November 3, 2012 at 7:25PM
lefty47
HI Girls --- I hope you don't mind if a Canadian Girl ( Calgary Alberta Canda ) gets in on this . I have not been commenting too much on Houzz lately. I haven't been sick like groovygranny or anyone else and I hope you feel better real soon. I had to have my little dog Merlyn put to sleep Qct 22, he was 16 yrs. old . He was only about 3 1/2 to 4 pounds but he filled my heart and my house .And I am not handling very well. I see that a lot of you have pets too . We have had a bit of winter weather to deal with the last 2 weeks and Halloween was cold for the kids but we are coming into a chinook and the temperature is to go up for Monday. But this also means a migraine for a lot of us .Alberta is the migraine capital so they say. Bobbi P- your 83 f would be too much for me but it seems better than what we have now which is about -2 with a wind chill which makes it feels like -7.When we get a chinook that can change the weather in a matter of hours from below 0 to shirt sleeve double digits. Anyway, I noticed your little get together and thought I would butt in . You all sound so nice and I enjoy reading your comments and none of you sound like your 55+ because all your ideas are so current . I hit the 65 this summer and I still don't believe it - but some days I sure feel it.
0 Likes   November 3, 2012 at 7:36PM
olldcan
Seriously, I can't believe you gals would do this to me, do I have to wait until 50. I'm close and have 2 grandchildren. Don't you have a grasshopper apprenticeship program I could sign up for? If you turn me away, I'll have to read only for a few more years until I can comment in 2016 :(
0 Likes   November 3, 2012 at 7:52PM
creeser
Good morning ladies! I missed so much yesterday! I was babysitting the grandbaby. Of course, when it's your grand, it hardly feels like babysitting.
janis, welcome to another belle! I was starting to feel like an oddity.
candace, no you don't have to wait, join in! The more the merrier.
Bobbi, anitbiotics will make you feel like crap. Be sure to eat lots of yogurt with the probiotics. They will counteract the upset tummy and they also build up the good bacteria in your system that anit's kill. They don't just target the bad, the good gets taken out as well. They can very well account for your droopy mood.
gg, it's summer time for you isn't it? How hot does it get in your area mid-summer?
tipi, you did well with the pictures!
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 2:53AM
feeny
Hi gg, A Chinook (among other things) refers to a particular wind pattern that involves precipitous temperature changes in the North West of the US and Canada. But it is, indeed, named after a tribe. (But the name Chinook also refers to a breed of dog, a type of salmon, a helicopter, a brand of motorhome, etc.) Confusing, eh?
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 3:28AM
creeser
feeny, spoken like a true educator! *L*
What are you up to this Sunday?
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 3:38AM
charleee
I agree, welcome Candace ! She has great design ideas, too. I'm wondering if we should move this to Facebook? Or stay here til someone kicks us out?
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 3:40AM
creeser
I vote stay here till someone kicks us out. We get more new faces staying here.
1 Like   November 4, 2012 at 3:41AM
creeser
How are you doing today Bobbi? Any plans for today?
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 3:41AM
charleee
Morning creeser! Ok, I'll vote to stay here as well. Plans for today are R & R, a little laundry and watching football. How about you?
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 3:44AM
feeny
Just make sure we stay in the "Other" discussion section, which isn't used much, and I suspect no one will complain. I'm not on Facebook, BTW.
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 3:44AM
judianna20
Well, didn't read any of this until just now! I forgot to turn my clocks back and I got up an hour early for my walk. See what happens when you don't pay attention to Bobbi P?

Love to have the enchilada recipe, thanks Bobbi P.

lefty 47, always love to read your posts as you have so many wonderful design ideas. I was wondering where you were as you and I have dropped down the list in daily contributors. I have a couple of new jobs and I am knee deep in paint samples. I meet with the couple, their kitchen designer and architect tomorrow morning. Losing your pet is so sad. Very, very sorry :>(

Here is a question for you gals: when you chose paint colors do you put a lot of weight on the direction the light is coming from? This couple is going to have a huge kitchen facing south, south/west with a lot of reflection off the ocean. Then, of course, on a overcast, stormy day it can be pretty dreary. Any thoughts?

Cat run: my husband made a great space for our kitty to go out at night and be safe (we have coyotes). Our basement is walk-out and under our deck. He put a pet door in a basement window and using the supporting posts for the deck, wrapped fencing around. This gave her a space of about 16 x 14. He dragged in a large tree branch for her to climb on and actually built a 6 x 6 sandbox and filled it with bagged sand he got at Toys r Us (so there wouldn't be any fleas in it). She loves it. (This is a guy who says he doesn't like cats! Right now they are snuggled up together and are ignoring the fact that I got up an hour early).

Candace66, born in '66? That was a great summer for me…great cars (remember Bobbi P?), like a GTO 5 speed, great music: some of the England invasion, but still some of our good old rock and roll and I could wear a bikini!

JanisHill, enjoy your stuff with Frank. I haven't seen any posts lately on the studio. What's happening there? Did you get my response to you that I am in Orleans, on the Chatham end, not Eastham.
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 4:16AM
creeser
judyg, I haven't consciously thought about it, but I guess I do think about the light when choosing paint colors. Our old house was all glass in the back and we were in the woods. I wanted that natural feel, so chose a green for the room. Here, we have such dark ceilings, that I brought in much lighter colors than I've used in years to keep it from being dreary. As for a kitchen facing the ocean, what about a sand color? I've seen that used in oceanfront properties with accents of sand glass colors. Another color, that I've grown to really like is SW Contented. It's a pale blue green.

I agree with feeny, keep our posts in the Other discussion. If we stay under the radar, maybe they'll let us play longer. ;)
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 4:27AM
TanCalGal
Good morning!

judyg I like the idea of sand. One designer: went to the beach and dragged home, seaweed, various sand, shells, rocks, driftwood, etc and those were the colors chosen for the house. For me, I like off white for all walls-same throughout house & vary rooms with art, rugs...
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 5:36AM
olldcan
Morning Ladies, thank you so much for letting me join. Yes I'm a bit shy by the age requirement but figured the 2 grandchildren might count for something. Just wanted to let you gals know I really like reading all your comments. Have had a laugh or two along the way also, okay more than two. I'm from Canada, just outside of Edmonton, Alberta. The plan for today is, pick up a few light fixtures (super deal found at Homesense) and move the fire-pit at the lake before it's frozen in place. We like it a bit closer to the shoreline so in winter we can have it blazing away while were playing on the ice. Oh the lake, yes that's a whole new discussion and still have my fingers crossed we'll break ground before it's too cold.
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 6:08AM
creeser
candace, love a fire pit in the winter! Our winters are probably summer weather for you, but a fire is still nice. *L*
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 6:40AM
lefty47
HI -- Good morning Girls ! I was up at 5;00 this morning but it was really 4;00 - my body is going to take a few days to get into the right time zone again . I will go back to bed when my hubby gets up . Thanks Feeny for the perfect explanation of a chinook - it's the rapid change in pressure and also strong winds - this was a gift from change in hormones - thankyou God, and this just proves God is a male . A chinook sky is a wonderus thing to look at - with the warm air coming over the mountains it forms an arch/ridge in the cloud from north to south. We get a lot of light here and picking colors can be a bit of a task but the light at the beach is not the same so I think all these new beach glass colors would work but I love whites in beach houses, but more of a warm white , right now I like Behr "Antique White " - It seems to work anywhere. As for candace66 --- I think the "kid" should be let in based on the grandma factor -and I always read and enjoy her comments . I remember bikini's from the 60's and my stuff was OK then to stuff into a bikini but have too much stuff to stuff into one now . But the ones the girls wear now leave to much stuff hanging out for the world to see. Thanks everyone on your kind thoughts on losing my little Merlyn - I know it happens to all loving pet owners but your kind words help , Thanks . Well hubby is up and changing the clocks so now I am going back to bed.
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 6:44AM
charleee
lefty, God is definitely male. A female God would not have invented hot flashes! Also, we're commenting on 11/4 now so you'll have to move your body over there!!! We start a new thread daily.
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 6:47AM
creeser
lefty47, got a good laugh with your 'stuff' comment. I'm so there.. *L*
My sympathy on the loss of your fur baby. My heart breaks every time I loose a pet and it seems the older I get, the more it hurts.
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 6:48AM
creeser
Bobbi is the official thread starter, so look under Other Discussions and OLLD and the current date for that day's thread.
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 6:50AM
bdlee
What a wonderful group! Requesting to join in your fun ... I am 58, have 10 grandbabies (ranging from 18 to 2) and live in Northeastern California. Lived in B.C., Canada as a kid and miss the chinooks. (Mom loved the warmth, but hated the headaches.) I'm reasonably new to houzz. Looking for ideas for our remodel (beginning to wonder if it will ever happen ~ Hubby is looking at working out of the area.) ?;-(

Starting a new job, tomorrow and hoping I lose the bug I got from my last day of working at a K-6 school.

Hope the day is wonderful for you all.
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 6:55AM
TanCalGal
bdlee -Hi!- click "discussions" and then "other" to find new thread for today- Nov 4
1 Like   November 4, 2012 at 6:59AM
bdlee
Thanks, j222b. Just did that and sent my requet to join there. Thanks, again.
1 Like   November 4, 2012 at 7:01AM
archadeckjulie
Good Morning, Ladies! Can I play? I meet the age requirement! I'm growing older but not up! 4 kids, 5 grandkids. I live in the land of enchiladas...Texas-Austin, where it will be 80 today. I always consider light when choosing paint because my house faces N/S and I have a very wooded yard so my house is more like a CAVE. I, too, love, love, love beachy colors-but when I say that I mean the colors of the sea & sky as well as the colors of the houses on the Carribean islands I've visited. Naturally, the husband doesn't agree with my "eclectic" tastes. I wish I had to hide paint sticks or anything else from him-he has the world's longest honey-do list! (and I need his help!) my problem is, I can't seem to stay out of the doctor"s office long enough to get anything done, so I will be very, very glad when this year is over & hope 2013 is much better. I hope y'all don't move to FB, that whole thing is creepy to me...but I do use it to spy on my kids! I just don't want them doing the same thing. :)
1 Like   November 4, 2012 at 7:11AM
charleee
archadeckjulie, yes! you can certainly join in. We start a new thread daily, so check the latest date, today being 11/4.
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 7:14AM