Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Teenage boy room
sondramartina
November 3, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Hello all
I am about to purchase a wardrobe for my sons room. At the moment there is an Ikea sofa bed in his room and this traditional rug. How to make it as modern as possible? What color wardrobe should be?
I will post room layout as well. It is tricky. :(
I have attached some of Ikeas wardrobes but I am open to other suggestions.

thank you
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Passion of Persia
A modern rug would help. www.passionofpersia.com
November 3, 2012 at 3:25PM   
sondramartina
It is not pink. It is red like that Ikea wardrobe :)and it will stay.
November 3, 2012 at 4:33PM   
judianna20

I choose black. Like this room, young masculine. I would replace the rug.
November 3, 2012 at 4:40PM     
charleee
For a more modern look, I would choose the shiny black wardrobe in the third picture and surely change the area rug: [houzz=Savvy Interiors]
[houzz=Industrial, edgy teen bedroom]
[houzz=Now Go Do Your Homework!]
November 3, 2012 at 4:43PM     
PRO
Southern Home Improvement, LLC
The modern rug ideas look great. I opted with the white wardrobes in the attached example and bild teh widowseat/ shoe rack myself. Ikea's variety of sizes make fitting pretty easy.
November 3, 2012 at 4:44PM   
PRO
Southern Home Improvement, LLC
The modern rug ideas look great. I opted with the white wardrobes in the attached example and built the widowseat / sliding shoerack myself. Ikea's variety of sizes make fitting pretty the space easy.
November 3, 2012 at 4:46PM   
decoenthusiaste
Looking good! Now for a great window treatment! What are you thinking?
November 3, 2012 at 4:47PM   
charleee
sondramartina and Southern Home Improvement, are you the same person?
November 3, 2012 at 4:54PM   
Natalie
The sofa bed is red, yes? I think a neutral cover like a gray or putty color would look nice and a different rug would give it more of a modern feel. A cool light fixture, additional seating-(bean bags), and either of the 2 black wardrobes could work. Pics for inspiration and colors... Hope this is helpful...[houzz=Pharos Ceiling Fan with Light by Modern Fan Company][houzz=Stage Floor Lamp][houzz=Dot Side Table | west elm]
November 3, 2012 at 4:54PM   
apple_pie_order
The matte finish black wardrobe would be a practical and striking choice. When it gets dinged up, a black Sharpie marker pen can color in the nicks and scratches. The shiny black finish can't be touched up readily.

A new rug would be great. Washable is even better. Desk chairs on wheels are more versatile than bean bag chairs. Desk chairs can even be used at desks... even though teen boys usually just throw clothes and backpacks on them. Sometimes they put laptop computers on them.
November 3, 2012 at 5:07PM     
sondramartina
So everyone suggest black. Thank you.I will try to convince hubby to store that wedding present -rug in basement .I would just buy cheap one,modern looking under 100 and finally make this room decent looking
November 3, 2012 at 5:08PM     
anitajoyce
I like th frist black one to the left.
November 3, 2012 at 5:32PM   
groveraxle
Love Ikea wardrobes. I would do the whole room in Ikea and if it lasts till college, he can take it with him. ;-)

November 3, 2012 at 5:42PM     
Maria A.
What is the challenge with the layout? You said you will post about it - did I miss it? IKEA has a whole range of cool lights and accessories which boys like to install themselves - take him on a trip and let him choose. My son picked some under'shelf mini-lights which he mounted on a small corner shelf and he also picked his own bed-side table based on criteria I would have not think about :) Is your son going to sleep on this sofa? It opens up to queen size, right? A bunch of large pillows would be fun and also brighten the room (IKEA has lots of fun prints for large pillows). They can also be used on the floor, which is what happened in our case. We also bought a hanging mesh tube which I think is made for storing stuffed animals but we used it for socks and underwear... :) And, lots of hooks on the walls because all jackets/shirts ended up being constantly "half worn" so not clean enough for the closet and not dirty enough for the laundry pile... Good luck with the project, curious to see the end result :)
November 4, 2012 at 12:24AM     
sondramartina
This room is my biggest nightmare. So here it is.
Check this link http://www.homestyler.com/designprofile/b84f4933-5b84-4f83-befd-18da3d86b7d1

Third sofa picture is from Ikea site,just to get an idea about true color of this sofa bed that opens to queen size bed.
November 4, 2012 at 6:52AM   
anitajoyce
Nice sofa bed. Change the wall color to a nice tan color. Change the rug to something with a block pattern or solid color in colors like a tan, beige and brown mixture . A grey rug color as mentioned earlier would be nice also with a light grey wall color along with the first black wardrobe.
November 4, 2012 at 6:58AM   
sondramartina
Room layout
I just noticed that drawing is missing very important detail,left of entry door almost half of the wall are two ugly built ins so that space is unusable

http://www.homestyler.com/designprofile/b84f4933-5b84-4f83-befd-18da3d86b7d1
This link can help you visualize whole room I donevit last night in free software
November 4, 2012 at 6:59AM   
sondramartina
Maria A you are so right about clothes on the floor.Good idea with lots if hooks for half clean shirts:-)
November 4, 2012 at 7:50AM   
charleee
When my 3 boys were teens, I used to say "if you won't clean your room, would you just please clear me a path?"
November 4, 2012 at 8:27AM   
sondramartina
Where shoul I put sofa bed?
November 4, 2012 at 8:50AM   
apple_pie_order
This room does not look like a nightmare by any means.

Let the teen boy decide where to put the furniture. He'll learn about leaving space for opening doors and so forth. He will also learn how to move furniture when he changes his mind. He should also choose the rugs and curtains. and put up his own posters. Chances are good he'll need two matching ones because the rugs at Ikea are quite small. Boys who "own" their rooms are more likely to care for them. Not much more, but some. Take him to Ikea, have him decide, and get him something to eat when he runs out of patience. Or he can decide from the website photos.

If you can post photos of all four walls, that'd be a good addition to the floor plan. What are "ugly built-ins"? A closet? Drawers? Cabinets? Book cases?
November 4, 2012 at 11:45AM     
Maria A.
Apple pie, you are right on :) not as radical as what my husband said... Us, mothers, keep hoping that if we change and decorate our sons rooms... they will keep it neat. In reality, the closets are empty, all the clothes are out in a pile, and all they need is a rake to gather the laundry once a month.. :)
November 4, 2012 at 11:54AM   
sondramartina
This not typical room,there is no winndows,it has 2 doors and 2 ugly built ins from previous owner,and not much space for furniture placement.I purchased wardrobe today hopefully hubby will feel like doing something about built ins in near future.
November 4, 2012 at 1:09PM   
charleee
I don't know where you are located, but in California a room without a closet or window could not be considered a bedroom!
November 4, 2012 at 1:15PM   
Maria A.
The wardrobe will be plenty storage for a teenage boy clothes . can you show a picture of the built ins, maybe we can give you some ideas ... IKEA has plenty of options for cool lighting fixtures ...
let your son choose . :)
November 4, 2012 at 1:31PM   
suzie123
I like the black wardrobe. A modern rug. Modern prints on the wall, books or whatever he is interested in-make it personal to your son.
November 4, 2012 at 1:43PM   
sondramartina
@Bobbi P. Original house was with 3 bedrooms,with windows but very first owner installed door in place of window and that door leads to sunroom.And here are my embarrassing built ins.
November 4, 2012 at 1:45PM   
Maria A.
So he has direct access to the sun room? Lucky guy! :) Give him two cans of paint one red and one black and let him paint the built ins. :)
November 4, 2012 at 1:54PM   
charleee
Ah, yes, I've seen those built-ins before. Is your son good with art? Why not let him tackle those built-ins with some spray paint and create some graffiti art? It can't be worse than it is now :) [houzz=
]
November 4, 2012 at 2:06PM   
sondramartina
Actually he is really good with spray painting!!! Thanks for the idea Bobby.
November 4, 2012 at 2:09PM   
charleee
OH, good, I was afraid I would insult you or make you angry with my suggestion! Heck, if he's good with spray painting, let him go for it! And if it turns out well, you could paint a frame on one wall and let him spray away inside it!
November 4, 2012 at 2:12PM   
apple_pie_order
Okay, I see your point: the built-in cabinets are indeed ugly. The narrower one looks like it was built separately and then moved into place, so it could probably be wiggled out. If the built-ins were in my house, I'd remove them both and replace them with shelves on metal standards. Will the new wardrobe fit in the larger niche? Alternatively, remove all three glass doors and throw them out. Remove anything that does not belong to the teenage boy (I'm sure that's not his china!) and turn the space over to him.

Bobbi P. - Perhaps the housing code in California requires a minimum size openable window or door to the outside for fire safety. I don't remember if a closet is also required for a bedroom.
November 4, 2012 at 2:35PM   
charleee
apple pie, I wasn't actually talking about code, more as a selling point in the MLS. And, yes, everything I've seen and read says a closet is required to call it a bedroom. My brother has a house in Sacramento with "4" bedrooms, but can only be listed as a 3 bedroom because one room has no closet. I only know what I know based on experience!!! I'm not a professional nor a Realtor, perhaps someone else could help out?
November 4, 2012 at 2:47PM