Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Two different color cabinets in the kitchen
Sonia Pyka
November 4, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Changing out cabinets in the kitchen and thinking about using two different colored cabinets. Darker on the lower and lighter on top. What do we think. Can this be pulled off in a relatively tight space?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
charleee
Yes! I love that look ! Darker cabinets on the bottom make the room feel grounded and lighter on top keep the room feeling more open.
November 4, 2012 at 2:45am   
PRO
Schroeder Design Group, NCIDQ, Licensed
Suggetsion;
Honestly, in a tight space, I would keep the cabinets the same color....anytime you start chopping blocks of color into a space it makes the space start to feel smaller.....how about all light - for the most spacious look, with a beautiful stone countertop, put the emphasis on the beautiful countertop and backsplash tile/stone slab instead. That can be the drama, not the cabinet color.
November 4, 2012 at 4:05am     
Sonia Pyka
Ok like the suggestion of the light cabinets and concentrating on the stone and back splash. What color would you suggest? Mind you I do not want white. A natural wood or painted cabinets?
November 4, 2012 at 4:35am   
Sonia Pyka
One more thing, If I am laying wood floors, would this cabinet be too light for this flooring?
November 4, 2012 at 4:36am   
PRO
Schroeder Design Group, NCIDQ, Licensed
Suggestion;
If you are using that rich beautiful coffee color, so popular now, on the floor, then the cabinet color should not be a different wood color, unless it is in the same family as the wood, and it should be much lighter..and not the "orangey" color you listed, or you've got 2 different woods going on, 2 different looks.
How about a "glazed" off white/light neutral cabinet. The off white, or another light neutral painted color with a dark glaze looks rich and the glazed gets into the edges of the cabinetry and pulls the dark color from the floor onto the cabinetry without having an entirely dark space. The granite or stone could be a mix of coffee and creams, darker would pop and look classy, lighter creamy with veins of coffee would keep it all light, either way is rich looking.
November 4, 2012 at 4:56am     
Sonia Pyka
I can see what you have described in my head and I love it. Glazed, this is new to me and I will have to start really looking into those options. I want the kitchen to feel warm and look for a lack of a better word, rich. Seeing as the foot print of the kitchen is not very large, I believe I can achieve this look without breaking the bank. I have already purchased this tile for the back splash(yes I realize thats a little crazy seeing as though I have not yet picked out cabinets) but I just loved it. (And it was "cheap" in comparison to the cabinets and flooring) Thank you so much for your help and vision I greatly appreciate it.
November 4, 2012 at 5:07am     
olldcan
Sonia, A cream coloured cabinet with a coffee coloured glaze would be beautiful with your floor and backsplash. I agree with Schroeder, stay away from the orangey coloured cabinets :)
November 4, 2012 at 5:37am   
Sonia Pyka
I liked the look of these cabinets. My confusion is what is Alder wood? Is it more or less expensive the Cherry or Maple? This will have a lot to do with what I choose. Cost is a major factor
November 4, 2012 at 5:42am   
Sonia Pyka
I liked this too
November 4, 2012 at 5:44am   
Natalie
I would stick with a lighter cabinet to contrast with your floors, coordinate with your backsplash and add visual interest... Pics for inspiration- burl wood goblet color palette... Hope this is helpful... Good Luck! [houzz=Sugar Maple Burl Wood Turned Goblet][houzz=Tuscany Maple Kitchen Cabinets][houzz=Sunset Maple Kitchen Cabinets]
November 4, 2012 at 7:38pm     
Sonia Pyka
Natalie love this. Thank you. This is sooo over whelming and very expensive, small foot print or not. These colors and choices are EXACTLY what I was looking for and didn't even know it. Sunset Maple is a a good choice.
Seeing it allows me to visualize it in my own space and that is JUST what I needed.
November 4, 2012 at 8:10pm   
Natalie
Wonderful Sonia! When I saw that Gorgeous goblet I said Yesss-that's it! Looking forward to seeing your finished room. CheerS!
November 4, 2012 at 8:32pm   
More Discussions
Help my sister with her reception room
My sister moved to a new home months ago... And needs...
Need Good Compact Design
Wish to have a design for compact house (duplex) having...
Something could do with a change
Should I change the coffee table? add a different colour...
A staircase that can effectively divide living and dining
I am looking for ideas/comments on having a beatiful...
Need help to find right rug , coffee tables and ottoman .
Hello, dear houzz designers really need your advice...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.