Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Master bath design
amwiggins10
November 4, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We have a leak in our hideous pink and blue shower. The shower is too small and the tub is too large. Thanks to the leak, we now have to focus on remodeling the whole bathroom.
Our biggest obstacle is we want to make the shower bigger by turning the shower head plumbing to face where the tub is now. Also, the wall separating the shower and tub unfortunately houses the plumbing, so we can't necessarily knock it down because we are DIY'ing. We also thought about taking our the present shower and putting in a shower pan then tiling the walls. If we did that we would replace the tub with a free standing one.
ANY advice is welcome!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Schroeder Design Group, NCIDQ, Licensed
Suggestion;
Remove wallpaper, paint instead but select paint after new tile is selected. Tile on the floor and coordinating tile moves into updated shower with clear glass door. I thought of free standing tub before I read you were considering, sitting on tile floor, therefore the shower could be larger. Remove fabric at window, Install wide 2" wide faux wood blinds, if you like the look to reduce warping in neutral white to match window trim.
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 10:03AM
amwiggins10
I really like your suggestions! What do you think if we turned the shower around to where the tub is now?
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 10:08AM
momsy
How many times have you used the tub compared to the shower? Have you seen the non-enclosed showers? Maybe its time to get rid of the tub and let the shower become your haven. The window can be frosted with decal. (done it and it looks great and stands up to my steamy shower and intense sunlight on the western exposure)

Water stuff stays down at the shower end: think full body nossels and rainfall shower heads. There may or may not be a glass wall for water containment.

Where the window area is, still tiled, but no free spray. A bench and hand held system for kids, elders, dogs can be in the window area. Install an on-demand water heater for the system: so much more efficient and no running out.

BTW, my hideous wallpaper was installed without being primed. If I tried to take it off, the green board came too. I primed and painted and it looks fabulous three years later. (except for the tripping I did from the fumes, it was a great experience..LOL)
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 10:11AM
momsy
Barrier free showers: that's what they are called.
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 10:16AM
amwiggins10
I probably should have mentioned this but this house used to be my husband's family home that his mom and dad built 16 years ago. We have NEVER used the master bath tub because it's so big that by the time water gets past the jets, there's no hot water left! Thankfully, there are 2 other showers that we can use. Unfortunately, almost everything else in the house is pink and we haven't had the budget to remodel just yet. By everything in the house is pink...I mean every-thing! (Toilets, vanities, countertops, walls, etc)

I do like your idea of just getting rid of the tub completely, but I thought keeping a tub of some kind adds value? If we did the huge shower, what should we do with the space where the current shower is?
Thank you for your response!
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 10:18AM
amwiggins10
I like the showers in the pics but I haven't seen any that are next to a window. Privacy isn't really a problem because we don't have any neighbors behind us. I'd still like to see how the tiling would look around a window..
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 10:21AM
Natalie
I suggest leaving the shower where it is-makes more sense having the window over the tub... Pics for inspiration. Good Luck!
[houzz=ANDALUSIA MASTER BATH 1][houzz=ANDALUSIA MASTER BATH 2][houzz=Bellevue Northwest Contemporary Master Bath][houzz=eclectic spa masterbath]
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 10:23AM
amwiggins10
Natalie, I love those ideas.The plumbing for the shower is in the dividing wall between the shower and tub though... I wonder how much reworking the plumbing would cost or if it's realistically DIY-able.
So many choices! We just don't want to bite off more than we can chew.
1 Like   November 4, 2012 at 10:29AM
PRO
Schroeder Design Group, NCIDQ, Licensed
Keep the tub, free standing, under the window
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 10:38AM
amwiggins10
Here are more pics..
1st pic: double doors on left= closet, door on right= (tiny) toilet.
2nd pic: you can see how the tub fits into the space created by the closet wall, the window and the shower wall.
..I don't even want to post what the vanity looks like. Just imagine pink marble and sea shell shaped sinks. Hideous.
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 10:40AM
amwiggins10
Here are more pics..
1st pic: double doors on left= closet, door on right= (tiny) toilet.
2nd pic: you can see how the tub fits into the space created by the closet wall, the window and the shower wall.
..I don't even want to post what the vanity looks like. Just imagine pink marble and sea shell shaped sinks. Hideous.
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 10:43AM
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
This is the way a window in a shower should be done. Notice that the jamb and everything is done in tile. This window is acrylic block but could be anything. The window frame and window should be vinyl.

FWIW, we would never recommend that a homeowner do their own tiling in a shower. It is far too specialized if you wish to ensure that it doesn't leak. Do other things yourself, but hire a professional to tile.

[houzz=
]
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 10:46AM
Natalie
You could leave the wall with the plumbing just tile it and add shelves on side with tub. Just an idea...

[houzz=
]
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 10:50AM
momsy
I don't think you will end up with too much space. The shower you have is rather small. Once it is ripped out, and new stuff in, you will wonder how you did it before.

I just wouldn't worry that putting in something you will use and would work for many people will damage resale. There are so many stupid spas in homes that are being used to store dirty laundry. What a crock. I would much rather have a super shower and bench than my spa which I have used all of twice.
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 11:30AM
collachi
I vote for getting rid of the tub as well. I also agree that tiling a shower is not a DIY project. It's nowhere near the same as tiling a floor. As far as the leftover space goes, do you need more closet storage in the bath? What is on the other side of that wall to the left? Can that room claim that space for a closet or some other purpose?
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 11:55AM
amwiggins10
I joke that this house is a jigsaw puzzle. Every room fits into another..the left side of the shower is the wall to our master bedroom.
I wouldn't say that I need any extra closet space because there's a walk-in closet in the bathroom, a linen closet next to the tub and another walk-in closet in the master bedroom.
I guess if we took down the shower, the drywall and the tub then we could hire someone to rework the plumbing. Then, we can put the drywall back up but hire someone to install the shower and tile. We can obviously take care of the floor and wallpaper ourselves.
Thank y'all for all the advice! I'm getting some great ideas :)
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 12:17PM
collachi
I'm sorry, I simply cannot comprehend the phrase, "I don't need more closet space"!
0 Likes   November 5, 2012 at 3:10PM
amwiggins10
Hahaha I know it's not something you hear everyday! We're actually now thinking of getting rid of the double doored closet and put a new on where the current shower is.
0 Likes   November 5, 2012 at 3:21PM