Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Suggestions Please...going to stain and paint my craigslist dining table
Briana Harvey
November 4, 2012 in Before & After
I picked up a nice hardwood trestle table, and will be looking for 2 wood chairs, a bench, and 2 fabric chairs for the ends. I want to stain the top a darker color, and paint the base something. I have another buffet piece in the room that I LOVE and it is a distressed creamy yellow on the base and a darker reddish walnut type color on the top. I am contemplating painting the table the same. I am unsure if I want to distress it, as once the poly coats are removed, this table will be in mint condition. I know I want to stain two chairs for one side, probably stain the bench top, and paint the bench base, and want to find two interesting and rather bulky fabric chairs for each end. I live on an acreage, and like my inside of the home to be less country...more upscale pottery barn style. I can only get one image to upload, so will try to upload pics of my buffet and other parts of the kitchen. I have a hutch, but will probably try looking for a replacement :)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Briana Harvey
Buffet
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 12:05PM
Briana Harvey
Kitchen
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 12:06PM
Briana Harvey
Another Kitchen Pic
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 12:07PM
stephhhh1010
I would wait until you find chairs to go with it! But I think it could look beautiful with the base matching the colors of the buffet, and the table top stained dark in contrast. That hutch would look so cute if you did it to match the rest also:)
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 3:09PM
Briana Harvey
I am likely getting the chairs used from Craigslist also. I am already planning to paint/stain the chairs and bench, so not too worried about what stain color they are already. I may keep the hutch and stain it to match, but have had it for 10 years, so wouldn't mind selling it with the table/chairs I have now :)
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 3:35PM
PRO
K.O.H. Construction Corporation
Since your buffet is distressed I would go with your idea of distressing the table . Annie Sloan has a product out called chalk paint. She has a tutorial on her web site. Several folks here on Houzz have used it and are very complementary. Let us know what you think.
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 4:08PM
Briana Harvey
I googled Annie Sloan, and it looks like we have a dealer in Omaha and one in Lincoln (Nebraska)., I will probably just go in on Tuesday to get some more info on that product. My only concern is if it starts looking too matchy matchy. I don't think it would, but worry about that. If I matched, I would do the base of the table and the base of the bench the yellowish color, and the 2 wood chairs the same top color. I really want an almost bulkier fabric armed chair on each end. I think with 2 different kinds chairs, and a bench, that it may not look to matchy anyway?
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 5:19PM
aussiedoglvr
I have the exact same table and I love the size and sturdiness of it, just not the look. Please do post after picks as I would love to see what the table could be!
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 7:39PM
Briana Harvey
Aussiedoglvr-That is great! It is one inch wider and 5 inches longer than my other table. My other table did have a leaf so I could make it bigger, but then I didn't have the right tablecloth, etc. And my other table is sooo old. This table is in perfect condition (under the very thin poly coat), so I will feel a little bad if I distress it :( But if I don't, my 3 little blessings will :) I have always wanted a trestle table, so I think I will really be happy in the end. I don't have chairs, bench, etc yet, so hoping to have a pulled together look in the end :)
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 7:51PM
PRO
The Annie Sloan method is mostly a build up of texture with chalk paint . The glazing and waxes. along with a very light edge sanding give it the distressed look. You won't be banging and hitting the table with implements of destruction. Therefore you can revert to the original finish. nothing ventured, nothing gained,
0 Likes   November 5, 2012 at 4:02AM
Briana Harvey
"The glazing and waxes. along with a very light edge sanding give it the distressed look. You won't be banging and hitting the table with implements of destruction. Therefore you can revert to the original finish. nothing ventured, nothing gained"
Interesting...although given what I have read over time on distressing, very hard to understand :o
I guess I see that it would give me the streaking, but unsure how it would give the small divits?
One of the local dealers is open tomorrow, so I will venture in there. In the meantime, I have looked at the Annie Sloan website, but there didn't seem to be very many pictures. I searched the Houzz forums for Annie Sloan, but didn't find a lot of finished pictures.
One other question, the paints seemed to be all colors. If I was going to match the buffet, would I start with a base of stain (the table is nearly white after I take off the thin poly coat)? The buffet top seems to be a reddish brown stain with a dark brownish black "painted" on top. Staining doesn't scare me, as I have stained trim in the house, but am curious if you can get a stained appearance with the Annie Sloan paint?
K.O.H. Would you Match the table to the buffet? Or would you distress but in a different color? I guess it wouldn't be overly matchy because the top would be a similar but not identical color, and the legs would just be the brown/yellow, which would compliment the buffet, but not have all the floral/vining stuff to make it over the top?
Thanks!!
0 Likes   November 5, 2012 at 5:10AM
PRO
I build a lot of furniture, some lightly distressed and others heavy. I was under the assumption that you where reluctant to bang and dent, just in case it didn't work out. I would be happy to share my process with you. The Annie Sloan method allows you to return the piece back to its former glory without the bangs and dents. She uses the heavy paint and tinted waxes for her specific look. She does not offers a staining technique. It does look good, maybe not for you. Do a web search for " David T Smith Workshop". He is one of the finest out there. As far as matching your buffet. I would make the legs similar and the top a distressed stained wood . Nothing needs to match exactly. It just needs to blend or compliment. Let me know iffin I can help.
0 Likes   November 5, 2012 at 4:38PM
Briana Harvey
K.O.H. I appreciate it. The buffet is similar to pottery barn distressing. It still has a rather smooth finish. What I dont want is the shabby chic or "country country" style.
I did go to a dealer today and got a lot of great info. I decided on the Arles color based on a piece she had with it on. I also got a smaller old white in case I need to lighten it. She had a piece that showed some of what the wax can do to a color. I feel pretty confident about the base now, especially since when it is all said and done, not much of the base will show. I already have the top of the table and the top of the bench I picked up today sanded and ready for stain. I am thinking about staining the base (the stripping/sanding on this piece is super easy) so that I will get that redish brown where I distress.

I would be very grateful for any advise on staining the top of the table. I have stained trimwork in several rooms of my home, so I am comfortable with stain, but I was not going for that "dark around the edges" look then! I will search David T Smith for information also, but I am not hoping to learn through too much trial and error on my kitchen table top :) Any advise would be greatly welcome. I will also start on the top of my $20 bench find, as that may get replaced anyway.
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 3:07PM
PRO
I want to be clear as to what you want before I advise. Are you distressing the table top? if so, would it be similar to the Pottery Barn finish. What color of stain are you looking at, dark, medium, light?
Are you painting the base the Arles color with no distressing or aging?
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 7:39PM
takemethere
In case it hasn't been mentioned, if you can't find Annie Sloan I suggest using Cece Caldwell paints. No prep, no prime, no voc's, - seriously amazing stuff. You can order them online. I've refinished quite a few pieces and be sure to order the "clear wax" or the other finishing touches as described on her site. Google Cece Caldwell
Good luck

I love CL finds!!
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 8:34PM
Briana Harvey
Top is not as orange as it looks
0 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 11:46AM
Briana Harvey
Another
0 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 11:49AM
Briana Harvey
K.o.H. Here are some pictures of the top. To the touch the finish is rather smooth, with only a few divots. The top and sides have more of a wax finish than a poly finish. There are some spots on the painted part the seem to have had a file taken to then. I have read that to distress, take a bag of nuts and bolts and randomly drop on the table. I do like distressed furniture, but don't want to go overboard and be unable to clean food out of crevices. I bought the table for $20, so am not too concerned about its future, but think I can make my current kitchen very special. It is very likely that we will move in a few years, and I would love to build a larger dining table then. I do think this table will come out nice no matter what I do, but would love to fall in love with this space as I have been staring at a yucky peeling veneered table for too long :)
Thanks for any advise and suggestions you have in my finishing project. I have my table and bench nearly sanded. I am also thinking to stain the table base and bench base (I am sanding them even of it isn't necessary). That way I will have that nice brown stain under the yellow where I distress rather than a brown paint. Should I not stain under the paint? Should I seal the stain before painting? Again, I really appreciate the advice from someone who has already done this!
0 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 12:05PM
stephhhh1010
I would highly recommend searching and looking around at some DIY blogs. You can see what other people have done and find good ideas/inspiration, as well as tips, product info, etc. Here are some of my favorites that have been really helpful with my own furniture makeovers!
http://makemeprettyagain.blogspot.com/ http://www.allthingsthrifty.com/2010/04/painting-furniture-101.html http://karapaslaydesigns.blogspot.com/2011/01/how-to.html http://www.centsationalgirl.com/furniture-makeovers/
0 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 1:26PM
PRO
What I'm reading is, you're going to paint the whole table and distress it. If so, paint the table first with a semi-gloss finish. If you use flat paint the stain will absorb everywhere. The paint will fill in a lot of the dents therefore you will need that bag of nuts and bolts, sand some paint off where the edges would be naturally worn do to usage. worm and powder post beetle hole are usually in groupings. Use a pick to make the holes. Apply the stain everywhere, let it soak in on the bare wood. When it's dry lightly sand the wood to blend the paint and stain ( no harsh lines). If you think it need more stain on the edges, reapply and lightly sand when dry. General Finishes is a good water based urethane. You will need several coats for good protection. Other notes, if you leave the stain on too long you can take mineral spirits to remove it. The sanding process blends everything. I hope this helps and it's the direction that you wanted
0 Likes   November 8, 2012 at 5:56AM
Briana Harvey
Is there a reason I wouldn't want to stain first (this is light light lumber color wood now) ? Then paint over? With 3 little kids, I would think that if I only stained what I distressed, that then when a spot or paint did knick off, I would have bare wood underneath, and have a project of adding stain to those spots later?

Also, the tabletop and bench top are only going to be stained, not painted. What is the Best way you have found to get those darker edges? Thanks!!!
0 Likes   November 8, 2012 at 6:48AM
PRO
I never had an issue with some one chipping paint. The paint sticks very good and the urethane protects it. If you want to stain first, go ahead. I used to stain first then paint. I found that when i sand I go through the paint and stain both therefore I reversed the procedure. To get the edges darker sand off more paint and apply more stain. I use Sher-wood wiping stain. Use the oil base not the water based. It penetrate good and dries quick.
0 Likes   November 8, 2012 at 3:45PM
Briana Harvey
"I found that when i sand I go through the paint and stain both therefore I reversed the procedure" Thanks...this makes a lot of sense.
0 Likes   November 8, 2012 at 6:05PM
PRO
get to work and tell me how it's going
0 Likes   November 8, 2012 at 7:30PM
Briana Harvey
HaHa! I have been sanding this table and my $20 bench find all week, while juggling 2 little kids and running the 3rd back and forth to school! 95% done with sanding every nook and crany. I have decided that I need to go back to the store and get old ochre as the arles is about the darkest color on my buffet. I should've gotten the old ochre to begin with, but the furniture there looked so different. I think I am going to have to mix the old ochre with about 10% arles to get exactly what I want. I also need to decide on stain color for the top, but Sherwin Williams starts their 40% off sale there today, so that's where I will be :) Also going to order 2 fabric end chairs today and still scouring Craigslist for 2 inexpensive wood chairs that I like or another bench. If I am completely done by Thanksgiving, I will be very thrilled.
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 4:47AM
PRO
Check out the stain while your at Sherwin Williams. Oil base not water base
1 Like   November 9, 2012 at 5:16AM
Briana Harvey
I picked up 2 oile based SW stains. (warm chestnut and walnut wainscott). When I do a sample of the paint/let it dry/rubb some of it off, apply the stain, it stains all of the paint. Is there a special trick to this? Should I apply it with a glaze mixture?

I think I am going to distress the tabletop (the part that I am staining) for a more pottery barn feel. I can find all sorts of great info on various ways to distress the top, but am having a harder time coming up with a great tutorial on staining it when I am done. I want that gorgeous PB finish when done, not that plastic lacqured solid tone stain ;( I would love to get pointed in the right direction for that!

Thanks
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 5:56PM
More Discussions
Backsplash ideas
We have chosen Cambria Quartz "Bradshaw" for our countertops....
Small small ...best way to fill it
This wall is a small width (5'2") and needs decorating. I...
Best way to clean wood floors?
Do you have a tried and true method for cleaning wood...
Color help white
Can't find the right white
Am I heading in the right direction?
My goal is cottage style with craftsman influences....
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.