Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
curtain ideas
bambi3560
November 4, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Here is my dining room in a mountain vacation house that is a work in progress. The rug is ordered and custom artwork is coming. My problem is the window treatments. For the large window i want to do floor to ceiling panels but the other windows don't allow room for that. I was thinking about flat fold roman shades, but the windows are recessed. Is it ok to mount them at the ceiling outside the recess or will that look odd? If i mount them inside I am afraid it will darken the room.Any ideas?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Joshua David Home, LLC
Hi- I took the liberty do do some rough sketches for window drapes for your room. I hope you like them!
November 4, 2012 at 5:10PM     
rosalie66
I love the above sketches. That is what I was going to describe. Go for it!
November 4, 2012 at 5:20PM   
ktinainsworth
Hello! How exciting, a new space!The green chairs look like they part of the dining table set and extras? Can you paint the hutch the same color as the chair or something lighter so the hutch doesn't dominate the room? White/cream/khaki?
November 4, 2012 at 5:30PM   
PRO
Urban Ideas Inc.
The sketches are exactly I would suggest as well. Here are some ideas for fabric that I believe go with the colours in your vacation house with a nod to the great outdoors.
November 4, 2012 at 5:31PM     
PRO
Custom Home Planning Center
Now the big question what do you make them out of. Given a mountain location the two factors in play are energy efficiency and light control. If you going for min. heat loss look at "Window quilt" fabrics that can give the windows an R-4, but they will allow no light penetration when down. The other choice would be in light transmitting fabrics like white linen.
November 4, 2012 at 5:34PM   
bambi3560
Love all the suggestions. Joshua David Home that is exactly what I was thinking just not sure where to mount the roman shades, inside recess or above at ceiling. Will be more decorative than functional. Thank you all
November 4, 2012 at 6:04PM   
PRO
Joshua David Home, LLC
May I suggest that as per the sketches, the romans are mounted inside the window casings. It allows for the room to visually 'breathe' The roman should have an additional flat valance over the top with a trim or embroidery. The larger window has such character and interest- the curtains should have a striaght 'scarf' panel at the top to mimic the flat valance on the romans- with the same trim or embroidery; of course.- good luck- I'd love to see it when you are done!
November 4, 2012 at 6:27PM   
judianna20
The step back sideboard is fabulous. That is quite a piece with the original glass still intact. I would like to see a modern crewel fabric on your windows.
November 4, 2012 at 6:44PM   
bambi3560
Thank you judyg. It is quite old and been passed down thru my husbands family for years. We had the windows placed so it would fit in between them. I wouldn't have thought of a modern crewel but can soooo see it in this room. Thank you for the suggestion.
November 5, 2012 at 6:00AM   
More Discussions
Bathroom up do
Moving on to the next room. I need a paint color for...
Shower screen or no shower screen??
That, is the question. haha Cut a long story short...
Choose the Best Duvet Covers to Enhance Your Bedroom Design
Homeowners are taking great care with their bedroom...
Painted my furniture white and then walls a new color I hate! Help!
My bedroom furniture is too massive for our new smaller...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.