Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help accessorizing my dining room
Brooklyn mom
November 4, 2012 in Design Dilemma
My 14x20ft dining room is various shades of gray and black. I love it. However I'm not sure how to accessorize it. What kind of buffet or wall unit.? Lamps? Window treatment?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Joshua David Home, LLC
Hi- I took the liberty to do a quick, rough sketch of one idea.I hope you like it. Please let me know any questions.
November 4, 2012 at 5:44PM   
Brooklyn mom
It's really nice however a bit too traditional. I'm going for a more contemporary look..
November 4, 2012 at 6:38PM   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I could see doing black mirrors on the wall behind the table, and then hanging a pair of abstract paintings over the mirrors. Or I could see a comtemporary buffet with abstract art above and a pair of vintage Murano glass table lamps atop it. Add abundant black silk draperies! Original Abstract Art Cyprus Cabinets Vintage Murano Table Lamps in Turquoise with Copper Inclusions
November 4, 2012 at 6:55PM     
Natalie
LOVE It All Carolyn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
November 4, 2012 at 7:21PM     
PRO
MUMMEINTERIORS
Dining room table and chairs gorgeous! Great job so far. I am attaching a travertine buffet with mirrored doors to give a different texture with the wood you have. Also attached are a series of original pieces of art to add a splash of color. Hope this inspires you. Good luck! Matt

For more design inspiration visit my blog: http://mummeinteriors.wordpress.com
November 4, 2012 at 8:17PM   
PRO
MUMMEINTERIORS
Lamp ideas!
November 4, 2012 at 8:25PM   
Brooklyn mom
I like the silver lamp - but I'm afraid it'll blend into the background- the wall is silver. . .?
November 5, 2012 at 6:38AM   
PRO
Or it might just complement it.
November 5, 2012 at 7:57AM   
PRO
MUMMEINTERIORS
I think the tone on tone metallic would be a great look. You just need the right art or even a large venetian mirror with a modern twist with be fab.
November 5, 2012 at 8:45AM   
vineyardflute
Your choices are bold. I think a small wall table with some modern industrial pieces would look great with the addition of large artwork over the top, in bright colors to add contrast. I would avoid any "heavy" or "oversized" looking furniture.
November 5, 2012 at 8:49AM   
Natalie
I like your choices-the lights are a bit sterile for me. The silver/taupe wall is so soft and pretty, yet there is nothing going on besides the color. I suggest a couple of Morrocan lanterns instead of the drum lights. They would add elegance to the room as well as cast beautiful patterns on the wall. Interesting art on the wall behind-perhaps figurative and whimsical since everything is so linear---also orchid, blue/greens, warm taupe, and gold hues... Still love Carolyn's lamps. Hope this is helpful. Good Luck![houzz=Moroccan Light Lantern]http://www.etsy.com/listing/65054379/lilac-cat-giclee-print-beautiful-goldhttp://www.etsy.com/listing/65054379/lilac-cat-giclee-print-beautiful-gold[houzz=Moroccan Chandelier Lantern]http://www.etsy.com/listing/58566620/dirty-and-sweet-archival-giclee-print?ref=usr_faveitemshttp://www.etsy.com/listing/48129023/adventure-romantic-art-print-computer
November 5, 2012 at 10:16AM   
PRO
I adore the drum shades on the chandeliers!
November 5, 2012 at 10:34AM   
PRO
MUMMEINTERIORS
I agree the chandeliers are perfect!
November 5, 2012 at 10:39AM   
PRO
MUMMEINTERIORS
I agree the chandeliers are perfect!
November 5, 2012 at 10:39AM   
Natalie
OH don't get me wrong here-the lights are nice-but do very little for the rest of the items in this space. If they had crystals then they would be perfect. Such is not the case however. Hope I don't offend anyone-really just trying to be helpful... [houzz=
]
November 5, 2012 at 11:36AM     
judianna20
Square chairs…..Keep those lines going with Greek key mirror and continue lines in a mirrored sideboard.
November 5, 2012 at 11:39AM     
Natalie
Yes-judyg with a backdrop of curvy floral wallpaper-the items would look perfect!
November 5, 2012 at 11:43AM   
jenbee60
The room looks delicious so far...the soft silver wall treatment is stunning. To keep as much of that wall visible as possible, I'd suggest using etageres rather than a buffet + mirror/art. It's less expected/formulaic for a dining space, and you would be able to bring in variety of colors and shapes that way by styling objects on the shelves (this also allows you to change the look of the room dramatically just by switching out different colors and shapes in your decorative objects).

Attached are two etageres I like on Etsy that would extend your color scheme while adding a sculptural element and the ability to display unique objects. However, depending on how you entertain, you really might want a buffet for its function as a server/dining room storage. It's important to consider this. The first piece is a Milo Baughman; the second piece doesn't have the design pedigree (it's also half the price!), but it does have low shelving section which could be used to serve drinks or hors d'oeuvres at a party, so maybe that's the best of both worlds.

One last thought has to do with color. Salmon pink is a classic deco color that would look great here (for example in a pair of oversized lamps if you go the buffet route); another thought would be to use Chinese red which looks great with this kind of scheme (and Chinese blue and white porcelain could work too as an inspiration to add a fresh note).

Hope this helps and have fun! Let me know if you'd like additional thoughts or a design.(jenbee60@gmail.com)
November 5, 2012 at 12:11PM   
decoenthusiaste
Two dazzling contemporary silver bowls on the table to fill with interesting items for dinner parties might be interesting. Search here under products. Have you considered simple silver shades with a slender black cornice for the windows?
November 5, 2012 at 1:14PM     
PRO
I think the silver wall makes a beautiful backdrop for a single large painting, plus a simple console and lamps. I fear it would look too busy with etageres and objets.
November 5, 2012 at 3:13PM     
colonialgp
What type, if any, storage do you need in the dining room? An etagere would be nice if you had a nice collection of decorative art to show off and didn't need to store linens, china, crystal, etc. With at least 12 chairs it looks like you do a lot of entertaining. Is this room used for lots of parties where people would be standing around? Or is it more sit-down dinners where traffic around furniture would not be as much of an issue. Are those chairs on the extreme right part of a living area?

Art on the wall would definitely add depth.

Lighting does not seem to be an issue for you with the chandeliers and can lights (on dimmers?).
November 5, 2012 at 3:35PM   
PRO
MUMMEINTERIORS
I do not think etageres are the way to go in this space. I love etageres to divide spaces and for media rooms etc. I just don't think they will add elegance and sophistication to the stunning space. If you are leaning towards a mirror I am attaching a photo of a Venetian style mirror like I mentioned earlier and a few other ideas. I know the Venetian has traditional styling but being all glass mixing with your modern look. It will be the first image.

Matt
November 5, 2012 at 4:25PM     
brooklyn mom
yup. I could do a mirror. However I'm thinking of getting a 9ft. buffet for entertaining storage purpose, my dining room table is a 14 footer with 16 chairs. So if I were to get a mirror it would have to be very long and narrow. Hmmmm.
November 5, 2012 at 4:30PM   
anitajoyce
Could you post a fuller view of the room?
November 5, 2012 at 4:30PM   
PRO
MUMMEINTERIORS
You could do a pair of large mirrors, don't let size scare you. Many options!
November 5, 2012 at 4:31PM   
Brooklyn mom
Here's my dining room and living room space from various angles. It really needs some finishing touches. Your help is really appreciated.
November 5, 2012 at 4:52PM     
PRO
MUMMEINTERIORS
Its an amazing space with so much potential!
November 5, 2012 at 4:55PM   
PRO
MUMMEINTERIORS
You can do a grouping of abstract art on the wall behind the dining table or a pair of mirrors over a buffet. I do like the silver wall. Who makes your dining table?
November 5, 2012 at 4:56PM   
Brooklyn mom
International Furniture Brooklyn NY
November 5, 2012 at 5:05PM   
PRO
MUMMEINTERIORS
Very nice have not been to their showroom yet.
November 5, 2012 at 5:06PM   
anitajoyce
Stunning dining and living room! Love it! You could place a sideboard on the grey wall. On top of the sideboard, place two lamps-one on each side, a small plant like an orchid a group of 2-3 candles or the orchid with a nice vase or small sculpture. Above the sideboard, place a big abstract picture, a picture of a big flower or a group of 2-3 similar pictures. On top of the table place 1-2 vases of flowers or a flowering plant in a nice flowerpot along with some candles.
November 5, 2012 at 5:16PM     
Brooklyn mom
Thanks that sounds perfect.
November 5, 2012 at 5:24PM     
anitajoyce
:)! glad to help. Please post pictures when you're done.
November 5, 2012 at 5:30PM   
PRO
The lines of your dining room are all very horizontal. I would not add to that long linear line by placing a mirror in a horizontal fashion. You could place two vertical mirrors over a buffet, as I believe was suggested above, Or you could place one vertical painting, plus 2 tall lamps, and that would help suggest height instead of length of the room.

I like a dining room to have dimmed lighting, and suggest that all lighting in the room should be on dimmers. You can have dimmers attached to lamps quite easily.

After you determine what goes on the wall, we can help you accessorize your table when it's not in use.
November 5, 2012 at 5:35PM     
nevadan
Change to one chandelier - the two-chandelier plan looks wrong. Concentrate on finding four important matching candelabra for the table - could be china to warm it up a bit. Then concentrate on a fabulous china pattern with lots of silver trim. Then concentrate on a silver pattern that is VERY modern - and sculptural. Nothing traditional. With your window treatments, carry your valance right acress, connecting the two windows. Use a heavy silk with a geometric pattern - black on white. Your floral arrangements for the tables should be pink peonies. In silver vases.
November 5, 2012 at 5:59PM   
PRO
MUMMEINTERIORS
Carolyn and I are thinking alike on this one.
November 5, 2012 at 6:06PM     
decoenthusiaste
I'm thinking something like this on a much larger scale, centered between the two chandys. Make sure the lights are on a dimmer for dining atmosphere!
November 5, 2012 at 6:07PM   
PRO
One chandelier will not work well for a table of the length shown. The current chandeliers look fabulous!
November 5, 2012 at 6:07PM     
PRO
MUMMEINTERIORS
Yes that table needs a pair... there is no reason to change the lighting out.
November 5, 2012 at 6:08PM     
fayefreier
Wow! Fabulous job. Who was the decorator for this project? Kudos! So many people can fit at this table. I would love to see this room filled with people and the table set for all the kids and grand kids. Yeh right! Who r we kidding!
November 5, 2012 at 8:21PM     
allaboutdesign
I'd put about half the dining chairs in storage, unless you seat that many people regularly. Looks somewhat like a contemporary conference room. On the wonderful metallic wall, center a large canvas of something that suits your taste, whether it has a neutral palette or a knockout punch of color over a long console table with minimal accessories.
November 5, 2012 at 11:52PM     
Brooklyn mom
Actually I do fill up the table with friends and family about 1 - 2 a month. So the chairs are a must - and I have another 2 in the next room. But your idea of the canvas with color is the way I'll go. Thanks!
November 6, 2012 at 6:01AM     
michigammemom
Love your elegant and sophisticated dining space! I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest a linear gel fireplace on the metallic wall to keep the look minimal but warm.
November 6, 2012 at 6:16AM     
Brooklyn mom
Wow!! Looks fantastic - but unfortunately not feasible. Thanks!!
November 6, 2012 at 6:21AM   
anitajoyce
Love the dining set. Please keep all the chairs there and the lights also. Everything in the room is so unique.
November 6, 2012 at 11:36AM   
Brooklyn mom
Well, yes.. It's all brand new. I wasn't thinking of changing what's there. My concern is how to finish the room without taking away from the classic contemporary look.
November 6, 2012 at 12:06PM     
PRO
MUMMEINTERIORS
Exactly... You are right on. There is no reason to change what is already NEW and looks Great! Matt
November 6, 2012 at 12:09PM   
dcer
Love Natalie and Carolyn's ideas. The room just needs some personality, so maybe refreshing a flea- market or antique store console would add character to the room. Then, I would bring in a potted tree in one corner to add some life to the room.
November 6, 2012 at 12:45PM     
greenthumb2
I love your start. Raw, bold dupioni silk with black but minimal in size added to your windows. Even a frayed edge would be interesting if done right. I think your silver wall is beautiful as is because it repeats in the chairs. However, the table could use a custom mirror runner with form, not just rectangular. That would be super dramatic and would repeat light, color, texture, and activity without being a distraction. However, mirror hanging in the dining room can be a distraction to guests. You've done really well on your choices.
November 6, 2012 at 1:03PM   
Will Nye
Lucky you filling up that table with family and friends. Now that I see the dining room from several angles, the number of chairs looks right, especially with the length of the table. FYI, if you haven't been to some of the discount home stores like TJ Maxx, Home Goods, Ross, Marshall's, etc., they often have amazing, large paintings on canvas. You can get a high-end look for less than $100. Of course, if one-of-a-kind art is more to your taste and budget, the possibilities are endless. Good luck!
November 11, 2012 at 9:48AM   
Brooklyn mom
Thanks. I just went to HomeGoods the other day. No luck. I'm not in a rush. I'll post it when I find something.
November 11, 2012 at 12:07PM   
anitajoyce
Check out Kohl's and Target for art work also, if you have one in the area.
November 11, 2012 at 2:23PM   
PRO
MUMMEINTERIORS
Be careful when accessorizing. You have such a wonderful dining room you don't want to clutter and get accessories that look cheap.

Matt
November 11, 2012 at 2:59PM     
Brooklyn mom
therein lies the problem . . . .
November 12, 2012 at 6:49AM   
nevadan
Brooklyn Mom, I am re-visiting you. I have come up with your answer. Your wall decoration must be rich looking and highly textured. A textile in the nature of a tapestry. It could be Renaissance, it could be modern. But I see a soft glowing color palette with rose, gold, blue, gray - go to The Cloisters for your inspiration. That will contrast nicely with your glossy textures and it will be a knockout!

For your dinnerware, I see bone china that is very Chinese in motif, with pink peonies or similar. Pink linen napkins. Mirrored placemats and Centerpiece on a large mirror with a balck frame.

ABC Carpet might have some of your ingredients.

I repeat - one chandelier is plenty if it is the right one.
November 12, 2012 at 7:23AM   
PRO
MUMMEINTERIORS
Her current Chandeliers are new and are perfect for the scale of her dining room.

Matt
November 12, 2012 at 10:53AM     
PRO
the essentials inside
Hi Brooklyn mom. I'm kind of late to the party - just saw this thread. Your dining room is gorgeous! How is it coming along - have you added anything yet?

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com

P.S. We carry those chandeliers in our store & I love seeing them in your fabulous room.
December 13, 2012 at 7:45AM   
PRO
Bellagio Custom Drapery
Just a thought on the drapery...I would love to see a modern pattern, black background with a curvy large print of silver (for the visual weight to compliment the black chandeliers). There are some really cool modern drapery rods that would add nicely to the space. Also, I am not sure how to do it but the square lines of the dining chairs needs softening in my humble opinion. Is it just me?
December 13, 2012 at 8:15AM     
Natalie
Totally agree with you Bellagio Custom Drapery... Most items are linear in this space---desperate for curves, as it's quite masculine. :)
December 13, 2012 at 8:20AM   
PRO
Bellagio Custom Drapery
Just saw this on Z gallerie website and thought of you...It's good
December 13, 2012 at 8:32AM   
PRO
Bellagio Custom Drapery
I think these look great together for your space, then get some really modern buffet lamps, to flank the mirror above buffet, and do the drapes in the black and silver....you would be good to go...:)
December 13, 2012 at 8:49AM   
Brooklyn mom
Thanks for all your comments! I ordered a black buffet with a glass inlaid top. I'll post it when I get it. Then I'll be in the market for 2 modern lamps or vases....
December 13, 2012 at 9:29AM