powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Dining Room: Navy walls or navy ceiling?
sngglebnny
November 4, 2012 in Design Dilemma
This is my new home. To the left of the fireplace is the dining area in question. I love the idea of putting navy blue paint in here. I have wood dining chairs that I'm going to paint. If I paint the walls navy blue, them I will paint the chairs chartreuse. However, if I paint the ceiling navy blue, then I am going to paint the chairs navy blue with an eggshell finish.

Should I go with navy blue on the ceilings or the walls?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dcer
Cool ideas! I love when people are not afraid of color. However, I am afraid that the chartreuse and navy will be too much together. I would suggest that you go with your idea of painting either the walls or ceiling navy, but keep the furniture in wood tones or white/grey so that is balances out the bold color. Then you can bring in chartreuse accents. It also depends on how much light the room gets. If it doesn't get a ton of light, you probably shouldn't paint it completely navy. If it does get a lot of sunlight, go for it! I hope that helps.
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 5:26PM
Darzy
I say on the walls! Congrats on your new home. Here's a chartreuse wall with navy furniture.

2 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 5:34PM
krancmm
My vote would be the dark blue ceiling and chairs. Here's a dining room...
http://www.houzz.com/%22DARK-blue-ceiling%22
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 5:59PM
movethisnotthat
I'd love to see the ceiling in navy blue, at the front door and the dining area to unite both rooms, It will make a great combo, fabrics will be fun to add and make your space come alive!
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 6:00PM
krancmm
Well, that didn't work! I'll try again.
http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/5240859/thumbs/Blue-Ceiling
1 Like   November 4, 2012 at 6:09PM
PRO
Linn Gresham Haute Decor
Fun challenge, I love your spirit of adventure. My approach breaks your initial boundaries a little, but I think I where you're going. I would paint the masonry ... all of it, inside and out of the firebox/all sides in all rooms/floor to ceiling in a rich glossy navy. The rest of the space (walls, trim, and ceiling) a neural tint such as BM Titanium. Make the chairs pop ... I would employ one of my favorite Mount Vernon colors (fine Paints of Europe or Duron) called: Ripening Pear. It is the perfect "icky good" contrast you'll need. By anchoring the entire fireplace assembly with your navy and unifying all other surfaces, you've masterfully balanced the volume with some real drama. Please follow up with pictures!!!
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 6:10PM
PRO
Linn Gresham Haute Decor
I would also lower the Dining Area fixture ... It's pretty high. 34"-40" above the table height is better.
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 6:25PM
redproject
I am with Darzy - navy walls. With a low pendant light above the dining table, you will still get a hint of blue.
1 Like   November 4, 2012 at 6:32PM
Natalie
Love the idea of color on the wall-not sure about a color as dark as navy, but definitely rich saturated color (or wallpaper) and ohhhh yes, chartreuse furniture would be divine. Pics for inspiration. Good Luck! [houzz=Mid-century modern dining room by Kimball Starr Interior Design][houzz=Mid-century modern: Sitting area by Kimball Starr Interior Design 1][houzz=Mid-century modern: Sitting area by Kimball Starr Interior Design 2][houzz=Dining Room][houzz=Chocolate Tasting Salon]
1 Like   November 4, 2012 at 6:39PM
sngglebnny
It is awesome to see so many chartreuse lovers out there. Thank you everyone who posted pictures because they are right on point with what I see in my mind. @dcer - my original plans were to paint the chairs white and bring in other pops of color, but I have a whole house to decor8 and a small budget. Thought it best to get that pop with pieces I already have. @Darzy - yes, yes, yes! Just reverse that. @krancmm thats the look I want, and I'm going to share that picture with my friend since she hasn't seen a painted ceiling that didn't make the room cave-like. I need two more chairs so maybe ill paint them white.
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 7:49PM
sngglebnny
@movethisnotthat - you are so right that the foyer needs to tie in with the dining room. Ignoring it will create an imbalance. I think I need to rely on accessories to bring in the blue at the door. @Linn Gresham - I don't think I'm that brave. I think it would feel like I lived inside ZGallerie or West Elm. Also, it hurts me to see brick painted. I do want to research if I can use glass tile inside the firebox...can it withstand that much heat?
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 7:59PM
sngglebnny
@redproject - ok consider the fixture lowered :) @natalie - I love wall paper, and that dining room pic is fabulous! I do have wallpaper plans in the works, but not in this room.
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 8:07PM
decoenthusiaste
Like the adventurous spirit but fear this area does not get the light required to make the navy walls work. Perhaps the living area and foyer would be more light filled locations for the deep, rich blue. Then the dining room could be white with an enormous painting featuring the blue, chartreuse and a pop of yellow and orange. Satin or semi-gloss would probably be longer-lived on the chairs.
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 8:11PM
sngglebnny
@decoenthusiaste - I close on the house at the end of the month. I will make sure to observe the natural lighting in this room before diving into the painting. I think you have a point, but I have also found that well placed lighting can be as effective as natural lighting in a navy blue room. I'll try to find a picture...how about this one. Its a bit on the extreme as far as low light goes... I'm uploading a picture of the dining area from a different angle. I have a lot of windows. http://www.houzz.com/photos/navy-blue-low-light/p/21 (how do you get your links to show the picture?)
0 Likes   November 5, 2012 at 5:16AM
sngglebnny
Oh great, apparently I didn't take a picture of the entire great room :( there's another set of glass doors to the right of these at about a 45degree angle...my house is shaped like an ark. Behind me are windows too. I think the darkness is just an effect of my camera trying to adjust. The picture I took before this has my realtor in it and it is much brighter.

Here's my estate sale find to help with lighting (federal style convex mirror).
0 Likes   November 5, 2012 at 5:45AM
Darzy
BTW..I agree with Natalie that the navy blue maybe shouldn't be dark, dark navy. I'm sure you'll test several different paint options on the wall to make sure the tone color works with your fireplace too. I'm loving what you're planning and looking forward to see your finished rooms!
1 Like   November 5, 2012 at 10:40AM
sngglebnny
@Darzy - what blue do you recommend? I want something regal and stately to go with my federal-style convex mirror.
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 5:22AM
Darzy
Specific paint colors really can't be suggested here since it totally depends on your space, lighting, etc. I love your navy blue idea for sure, but there are SOOO many shades of navy. Pick a few you like and test a few spaces all on the walls, next to the floor and FP and then you can decide which looks best. For instance, the blue sideboard in the above photo is navy, but not real dark navy. I know you'll pick the right one! Be sure the tone looks good with the FP brick color since you'll always see the two together.
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 9:32AM
molliesfollies
I agree with Linn Gresham. A navy fireplace and pear walls would be stunning.
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 9:44AM
dcer
Okay, now I have changed my mind seeing Darzy's inspiration pic! Make sure that the navy isn't too dark for the space by putting swatches up and seeing how they look at night,day, etc. I love the idea of chartreuse chairs! So creative. Please post progress pics!
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 2:39PM
houssaon
Here is a room with a black ceiling (close in tone to navy) with chartreuse color in the furniture. I like the idea of navy on the ceiling.
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 2:46PM
sngglebnny
Tonight's photo features my living room before/after. In the living room and dining room I just finished enough of the painting to reveal a few before/after photos. I have just finished painting the dining room - wall is still wet. Still to go is the bottom trim and some touching up with the house's original grey.

Tomorrow is the big reveal for my dining room.
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 6:42PM
sngglebnny
Even with the dark blue, I still have a bright room. Can't wait to get some pictures with daylight streaming through the windows. These were taken after sunset.
1 Like   February 6, 2013 at 6:46PM
More Discussions
Ideas for updating this 70's house?
Kitchen is newly re-done, cherry cabinets, granite...
Breathing new life into an old Cape Cod style farmhouse
My husband and I just bought this house and couldn't...
Need help deciding what color curtains to go with
Can't seem to decide on what color to go with. Would...
Problems with your spouse?
Do you have challenges with your spouse when you're...
I need an advice or suggestions for the color and design of my curtain
Small 70 sq m flat.. Attached find the bed and the...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.