Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need advice on paint and carpet colors
Terri Haller
November 4, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Just bought this place. I have a golden brown sofa, paisley coordinating chair with browns, muted green and rust. Tables, etc, are in rich brown with red tint. The only natural light are the door/windows in photos.
Im leaning towards light carpet with specs of the colors from furniture.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Darzy
Congrats on your new condo! I agree you a light color floor to break up all the dark in your furniture. I think you may be happiest with a light/medium bamboo or hardwood floor. Are you leaving the doors and wood trim dark?
November 4, 2012 at 6:10pm   
Terri Haller
I am open to painting the trim. After checking hardwoods out online, I think the cost of hardwood floor is out of my budget, although I love the bamboo the best because it is lighter.
November 4, 2012 at 6:14pm   
Natalie
Since you have rich colored furniture, I suggest going dark on the walls... Paint the trim and mantel white. Light window treatments---stunning light fixture in dining area. Good Luck! [houzz=Betsy Burnham][houzz=Country Chic Family and Media Room][houzz=family room]
November 4, 2012 at 6:18pm   
Darzy
Here's a photo sample..but forget the bamboo floor...check out the wall color. It's Dry Sage by Benjamin Moore. I think the color would be nice with your wood tones, FP and furniture. Oh... I wouldn't get a carpet with "specks" in it. I did that 10 years ago and I'm sorry I did and am looking to replace asap. : )

November 4, 2012 at 6:20pm     
Terri Haller
Love it, I have a swatch here now very similar. Do I paint the dining room or fireplace wall a different color? I like the low/pile carpet, do I go with creamy or tan? The lighting is going to be a must and am on the hunt for something now. Is whte trim going out soon? Every room has dark trim.
November 4, 2012 at 6:26pm   
judianna20
No specks…..not one! And that is an order. :>) You need a carpet that will withstand everything. Find a good grade commercial carpet (karastan) in a sisal look. If that is too much $ take a look at Mohawk Smart Strand. Choose carpet first and then the paint color.
November 4, 2012 at 6:28pm     
Terri Haller
You're awesome.....exactly what I would have asked next. What do you think about color on the dining wall? Ive never had cathedral ceilings before with these angles.
November 4, 2012 at 6:31pm   
Darzy
I would paint the living room and the dining room the same color. It will feel more spacious without color blocking.
November 4, 2012 at 9:20pm